PDA

View Full Version : Avg. days with t'storms

Dan Luke
June 30th 05, 05:39 PM
http://www.weatherpages.com/variety/thunderstorms.html

Mitch
June 30th 05, 06:15 PM
Looking at that map, it kind of makes you wonder how all those flight
schools in Florida get thier students flight time!

Great map though!

Dan Luke wrote:
> http://www.weatherpages.com/variety/thunderstorms.html

Bob Gardner
June 30th 05, 06:19 PM
Compared to all of the places I have lived...Indiana, Connecticut, Florida,
Texas, Virginia, and Maryland, the map confirms my choice to live in
Seattle.

Bob Gardner

"Dan Luke" > wrote in message
> http://www.weatherpages.com/variety/thunderstorms.html

Hotel 179
June 30th 05, 06:51 PM
"Dan Luke" > wrote in message
> http://www.weatherpages.com/variety/thunderstorms.html

--------------------------reply------------------------------------

Hello All,

I called Flight Service for a briefing and was told that VFR is not
recommended. I told her, "Don't worry. Down here, VFR is never
recommended."

Ya'll come to see us along the Redneck Riviera. JKA in Gulf Shores, Alabama
now has an ILS on 27, freq. is 110.7.

Later...

Stephen
Just across the Bay from Mobile, Alabama

Icebound
June 30th 05, 07:43 PM
"Bob Gardner" > wrote in message
> Compared to all of the places I have lived...Indiana, Connecticut,
> Florida, Texas, Virginia, and Maryland, the map confirms my choice to live
> in Seattle.

There is no free lunch. :-)

On a list of 285 USA cities (including possessions such as Puerto Rico),
Seattle ranks 38th on the list of AVERAGE number of
days-with-precipitation... and a lot of those are Alaskan mountain stations,
or tropical (Hawaii, American Samoa, Marshall Islands, Puerto Rico, etc.).
If I pull out the tropicals (leaving Alaska in), you are 25th out of 272.

155 days a year with measurable precipitation. That means days in which it
did more than a few spits. It had to at least wet the ground.

Oh, and how about number of hours of sunshine as a percentage of total
possible?
How about 160th out of the 174 USA stations who report such things. A
pitiful 47-percent of possible vs. Miami's 70-percent (25th overall).

NWS data based on Sea-Tac airport records.

No thunderstorms, but no sun either. :-)

John Galban
June 30th 05, 08:42 PM
Dan Luke wrote:
> http://www.weatherpages.com/variety/thunderstorms.html

I was expecting to see Phoenix high up on the list due to our Monsoon
season (T-stms most every day), but since the season only lasts about
2.5 months, I suppose the rest of the year brings the average down
pretty substantially.

I can personally vouch for Great Falls, MT's high ranking on the
windy city list (next page). GTF is the only place I've ever had to
cancel a flight because it was too windy to untie the plane.

John Galban=====>N4BQ (PA28-180)

Bob Gardner
June 30th 05, 09:19 PM
You're right. "Wet the ground" is the standard. Unlike those days back in
the midwest, gulf, and east coasts, we seldom see downpours that require
drivers to pull over and stop until the rain ends. I don't own an umbrella,
and while I have a waterproof jacket, it stays in the car just in case. The
OP's map talks of thunderstorms, however, and in addition to precip that
means high winds and lightning. I do not miss those components of TRWs. A
lightning storm makes headlines in the papers and brings out the worst in
local TV folks: "I have Dave from Lynnwood on the line...what are the
conditions out there, Dave?" "Oh, lightning struck a tree and the power is
out?? Keep us informed, Dave. Now to Sharon in Federal Way...how is the
storm affecting your area, Sharon??" "Stay with us for the latest on the
lightning storm."

Days without sunshine? Have you heard about melanoma? When we go east or
south to where the skies are an unrelieved blue, we can hardly wait to see
the clouds peek over the mountains as we return.

Bob Gardner

"Icebound" > wrote in message

> "Bob Gardner" > wrote in message
>> Compared to all of the places I have lived...Indiana, Connecticut,
>> Florida, Texas, Virginia, and Maryland, the map confirms my choice to
>> live in Seattle.
>>

> There is no free lunch. :-)
>
> On a list of 285 USA cities (including possessions such as Puerto Rico),
> Seattle ranks 38th on the list of AVERAGE number of
> days-with-precipitation... and a lot of those are Alaskan mountain
> stations, or tropical (Hawaii, American Samoa, Marshall Islands, Puerto
> Rico, etc.). If I pull out the tropicals (leaving Alaska in), you are 25th
> out of 272.
>
> 155 days a year with measurable precipitation. That means days in which it
> did more than a few spits. It had to at least wet the ground.
>
> Oh, and how about number of hours of sunshine as a percentage of total
> possible?
> How about 160th out of the 174 USA stations who report such things. A
> pitiful 47-percent of possible vs. Miami's 70-percent (25th overall).
>
> NWS data based on Sea-Tac airport records.
>
> No thunderstorms, but no sun either. :-)

Nathan Young
June 30th 05, 09:50 PM
On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 13:17:50 -0400, Dave Butler > wrote:

>Dan Luke wrote:
>> http://www.weatherpages.com/variety/thunderstorms.html
>
>Yeah, thanks, Dan. Someone posted something the other day about how they lived
>in the worst area for thunderstorms - the midwest. I was thinking of responding,
>but you just can't respond to everything.

I don't believe the link Dan sent is adjusted for seasons. It is days
with tstorms per year. So that actually is not a good measure for
tstorm intensity or frequency for that matter. We need it broken down
by months to be of value. The Midwest does not get many T-storms in
the Winter, which is about 6 months of the year in Chicago.

On this same subject. Midwest tstorms are frequently 45k+ feet. Is
this common in other areas? From my aviation readings, I was lead to
believe that the Florida/Louisiana storms tend to top in the 30s, and
hence are less intense.

-Nathan

Dan Luke
June 30th 05, 10:15 PM
"Nathan Young" wrote:

> I don't believe the link Dan sent is adjusted for seasons. It is
days
> with tstorms per year. So that actually is not a good measure for
> tstorm intensity...

No.

> ...or frequency for that matter.
> We need it broken down
> by months to be of value. The Midwest does not get many T-storms in
> the Winter, which is about 6 months of the year in Chicago.

Neither does Mobile, except when cold fronts pass.

> On this same subject. Midwest tstorms are frequently 45k+ feet. Is
> this common in other areas? From my aviation readings, I was lead to
> believe that the Florida/Louisiana storms tend to top in the 30s, and
> hence are less intense.

They vary, but the're almost always >45k'. Truly violent boomers
capable of producing property damage are not common in sunmmer, but
often accompany fronts in spring and fall.
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Dan Luke
June 30th 05, 10:20 PM
"Hotel 179" wrote:

> I called Flight Service for a briefing and was told that VFR is not
> recommended. I told her, "Don't worry. Down here, VFR is never
> recommended."

Down here, you just have to learn to deal with CBs or you won't do much
flying.

> Ya'll come to see us along the Redneck Riviera. JKA in Gulf Shores,
> Alabama now has an ILS on 27, freq. is 110.7.

A major improvement over that old VOR approach off Brookley, isn't it?

> Stephen
> Just across the Bay from Mobile, Alabama

What do you fly, Stephen?
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

A Lieberman
June 30th 05, 10:31 PM
On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 20:50:23 GMT, Nathan Young wrote:

> On this same subject. Midwest tstorms are frequently 45k+ feet. Is
> this common in other areas? From my aviation readings, I was lead to
> believe that the Florida/Louisiana storms tend to top in the 30s, and
> hence are less intense.

Having lived in Ohio and now in central Mississippi, the intensity of the
storms down here are more extreme then what I have seen in Ohio.

2 to 3 inch per hour rainfall rates are not unusual, and I am really
surprised how often hail does fall down here considering it's much warmer
down here.

I have seen / read observed tops in the mid 40's on a regular basis with
popcorn variety storms and they exceed 50K in squall lines.

Allen

Hotel 179
June 30th 05, 11:14 PM
"Dan Luke" > wrote in message

> A major improvement over that old VOR approach off Brookley, isn't it?
>
>> Stephen
>> Just across the Bay from Mobile, Alabama
>
> What do you fly, Stephen?
> --
> Dan
> C172RG at BFM
-------------------------------------reply-------------------------------------------------------

A major improvement indeed....although the ICW approach still works in a
pinch.....drop down over Mobile Bay, follow the intra-coastal waterway until
you pass the Holmes Bridge, hard left and a straight in to 35....

I fly a 2001 C172SP....check out the email posted on the Baldwin County
Civil Air Patrol Squadron Home page and drop me a note. You'll find it
under request information or something like that.

Semper vi.,

Stephen

Peter R.
July 1st 05, 04:07 AM
A Lieberman > wrote:

> and I am really
> surprised how often hail does fall down here considering it's much warmer
> down here.

As you know, it's not how warm it is at the surface, it's how cold it is
way up near the tops of those monster t-storms that determines whether hail
will fall out of them. And given that they grow 'em much bigger in the
southeastern US, it is no wonder hail is so common. :)

--
Peter

Scott D
July 1st 05, 06:39 AM
On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 23:07:00 -0400, "Peter R." >
wrote:

>A Lieberman > wrote:
>
>> and I am really
>> surprised how often hail does fall down here considering it's much warmer
>> down here.
>
>As you know, it's not how warm it is at the surface, it's how cold it is
>way up near the tops of those monster t-storms that determines whether hail
>will fall out of them. And given that they grow 'em much bigger in the
>southeastern US, it is no wonder hail is so common. :)

Living here in Colorado Springs, hail is very common during this time
of the year. As a matter of fact, today as I was coming back home on
the motorcycle, I was greeted to about 2 inches of hail on the ground
that ranged from 1inch to pea size in diameter. I probably just
missed it by about 5-10 min. Then about an hour later another line
came through with 1 inch size but we were just on the outer fringe of
the storm so it lasted for maybe 2 minutes but it was enough to cover
the ground. Now its clear skies and we start the whole cycle again
tomorrow afternoon around 2 or 3ish.

Scott D.

Scott D
July 1st 05, 06:40 AM
But you get the long dreary wet days. How boring is that. Atleast
give me a little thunder and lighting to make things interesting.

Scott D.

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 10:19:26 -0700, "Bob Gardner" >
wrote:

>Compared to all of the places I have lived...Indiana, Connecticut, Florida,
>Texas, Virginia, and Maryland, the map confirms my choice to live in
>Seattle.
>
>Bob Gardner
>
>"Dan Luke" > wrote in message
>> http://www.weatherpages.com/variety/thunderstorms.html

Jose
July 1st 05, 06:58 AM
> As a matter of fact, today as I was coming back home on
> the motorcycle, I was greeted to about 2 inches of hail on the ground
> that ranged from 1inch to pea size in diameter.

How do you ride with that on the ground?

Jose
--
You may not get what you pay for, but you sure as hell pay for what you get.

Scott D
July 1st 05, 07:17 AM
Very Slowly. I actually live about a mile down a dirt road which made
it a little bit easier, but I also followed other vehicles tire tracks
which cleared a good path for me to stay in.

Scott D.

On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 05:58:21 GMT, Jose >
wrote:

>> As a matter of fact, today as I was coming back home on
>> the motorcycle, I was greeted to about 2 inches of hail on the ground
>> that ranged from 1inch to pea size in diameter.
>
>How do you ride with that on the ground?
>
>Jose

Peter Duniho
July 1st 05, 08:12 AM
<Scott D> wrote in message
> But you get the long dreary wet days. How boring is that. Atleast
> give me a little thunder and lighting to make things interesting.

We had plenty of thunderstorms this year, thank you very much. As for long
dreary wet days, well...December is pretty dark, but this time of the year,
we're getting more sunlight than just about anyone in the US except those in
Alaska.

That said, the more folks who think the way you do, the better, as far as
I'm concerned. The weather here sucks. You don't want to live here. No
one does. Stay away. :p

Pete

Scott D
July 1st 05, 08:34 AM
>That said, the more folks who think the way you do, the better, as far as
>I'm concerned. The weather here sucks. You don't want to live here. No
>one does. Stay away. :p
>
>Pete

Actually, I have relatives that live there and on the dryer east side
of the state. I have made that trip many times, in fact, I will be up
there the end of July. It does amaze me how the mountains affect the
climate so much that on the west side you get all the rain and on the
east side its like a desert.

But, you dont have to worry about me moving up there. I like my
climate just where I am, having lived in MD, FL, TX, and CA, I like
the state of Colorado just fine.

Scott D.

Peter Duniho
July 1st 05, 08:57 AM
<Scott D> wrote in message
> Actually, I have relatives that live there and on the dryer east side
> of the state. I have made that trip many times, in fact, I will be up
> there the end of July.

Odd...and yet, you seem to think that we only have one kind of weather:
rainy.

Were you awake when you were here?

> It does amaze me how the mountains affect the
> climate so much that on the west side you get all the rain and on the
> east side its like a desert.

It's not "like a desert". It IS a desert.

> But, you dont have to worry about me moving up there. I like my
> climate just where I am, having lived in MD, FL, TX, and CA, I like
> the state of Colorado just fine.

Good for you. There's nothing worse than someone who doesn't like it where
they actually live.

Still, it boggles my mind that people see a need to criticize the weather
where they aren't, as if they require that so that they can feel good about
where they do live. Pick any place in the world, and there's someone who
would hate the weather there. Even Colorado.

Pete

Jay Honeck
July 1st 05, 01:55 PM
>> As a matter of fact, today as I was coming back home on
>> the motorcycle, I was greeted to about 2 inches of hail on the ground
>> that ranged from 1inch to pea size in diameter.
>
> How do you ride with that on the ground?

Very carefully! ;-)

I've ridden a fully loaded Goldwing in the snow, in the mountains, when a
June snowstorm suddenly hit.

It sucks, but it's possible.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Icebound
July 1st 05, 03:03 PM
"Bob Gardner" > wrote in message
....snip...

> Days without sunshine? Have you heard about melanoma? When we go east or
> south to where the skies are an unrelieved blue, we can hardly wait to see
> the clouds peek over the mountains as we return.

Yeah, but then I'd have to increase my PROZAC dosage :-)

http://www.thehealthierlife.co.uk/article/2912/seasonal-affective-disorder.html

Google