PDA

View Full Version : Decathlon engine managment-> power off spins

max
July 2nd 05, 06:26 AM
What's the best way to manage the engine during the recovery from a
power off spin into another maneuver in a plane like the Super Decatlon
with constant speed prop?

If I have the RPM set to 2400 before reducing power for the stall/spin,
need I worry about overspeeding the engine by adding the throttle back
to quickly on the vertical down line during recovery?

Ed H
July 5th 05, 12:37 AM
No, just feed it in smoothly and you won't have any problem. You have other
things to focus on during the downline.

My 8KCAB POH says 25/25 for acro. At 2400 you're giving up some horses.
Might want to relook that.

I know Super D pilots who routinely fly acro with the prop at max RPM (about
2750). I also know plenty of pilots without CS props who rev their engines
up to 3100 RPM without damage.

"max" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> What's the best way to manage the engine during the recovery from a
> power off spin into another maneuver in a plane like the Super Decatlon
> with constant speed prop?
>
> If I have the RPM set to 2400 before reducing power for the stall/spin,
> need I worry about overspeeding the engine by adding the throttle back
> to quickly on the vertical down line during recovery?

max
July 5th 05, 01:34 AM
Thanks for the response! I was just taught at 24/24 in this airplane
and hadn't thought much about it yet. I'm glad you pointed that out.

Ed H
July 5th 05, 02:48 AM
No problem. Have fun. The Super D is a wonderful airplane to learn acro
in.

"max" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Thanks for the response! I was just taught at 24/24 in this airplane
> and hadn't thought much about it yet. I'm glad you pointed that out.

Google