PDA

View Full Version : Antenna Ground Plane Grounding

Fastglasair
July 6th 03, 08:37 PM
I am sure you will know the definitive answer to this question. I have a
"plastic airplane" a Glasair to be specific. I was recently told that ground
planes should not be tied to ground via a secondary wire to the ground bus.
What I have done is on my Strikefinder and my transponder I have provided a
fairly large circular (approx.) ground plane made out of aluminum sheet. The
antennas are electrically tied via their attachment hardware to the ground
plane and within the antenna to the outer conductor of the coax. This being the
case, is it a mistake to tie an additional conductor to the ground plane and
tie it to the ground buss? A buddy of mine says that creates a loop which will
introduce noise and maybe create other problems. What is your opinion on this
matter?

Jim Weir
July 8th 03, 05:21 PM
1. I doubt sincerely you will see one whit of difference whether or not you tie
the ground plane to the ground bus. Perhaps a tiny bit of difference in
sensitivity on the Strikefinder.

2. I prefer all large pieces of metal to be tied together.

Jim

(Fastglasair)

->I am sure you will know the definitive answer to this question. I have a
->"plastic airplane" a Glasair to be specific. I was recently told that ground
->planes should not be tied to ground via a secondary wire to the ground bus.
->What I have done is on my Strikefinder and my transponder I have provided a
->fairly large circular (approx.) ground plane made out of aluminum sheet. The
->antennas are electrically tied via their attachment hardware to the ground
->plane and within the antenna to the outer conductor of the coax. This being
the
->case, is it a mistake to tie an additional conductor to the ground plane and
->tie it to the ground buss? A buddy of mine says that creates a loop which will
->introduce noise and maybe create other problems. What is your opinion on this
->matter?
->

http://www.rst-engr.com

Google