PDA

View Full Version : Oshkosh 2005 Redux

Jay Honeck
August 4th 05, 06:40 PM
http://www.alexisparkinn.com/2005_oshkosh.htm

Finally! Take a peek here to put faces with names of these
rec.aviation regulars:

- Montblack
- Jack & Steve Allison (and plane)
- Jim Weir & Gail Allinson (and plane)
- Edwin & Jim (& plane)
- Jim from NC
- Jim & Tami Burns
- Eric Rood
- Blanche Cohen
- Edwin & Jim
- Chris Blythe
- and many, many more!

Read the exciting tale of Mary's first arrival into OSH as
pilot-in-command! Live through the "Flood of 2005", where 3 inches of
rain fell on the North 40 in a matter or hours!

Enjoy the "Fly-in Pool Party" and the "North 40 Cookout" vicariously
here! All at no extra charge!

:-)

Enjoy!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Blanche
August 4th 05, 07:06 PM
oh gawd! i'm *not* pregnant!

I really need to lose weight.

*sigh*

Jay Honeck
August 4th 05, 08:17 PM
> oh gawd! i'm *not* pregnant!
>
> I really need to lose weight.
>
> *sigh*

Hey -- going off the "Fruit Diet" for 8 days in OSH I gained FIVE
pounds!

So how was the flight home? Did the weather cooperate? Did you hook
up with a co-pilot? (Ahem, so to speak...)

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Jay Honeck
August 4th 05, 08:58 PM
A NEW, last minute update!

See:

http://www.alexisparkinn.com/pool_party!.htm

for John Osterhout's pictures of the pool party, *just* received (and
uploaded) moment's ago...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Michael Nouak
August 4th 05, 08:58 PM
Curious about one pic:

Sunday Departure - "Taxiing past the warbirds section..."

.... was that Ju-52 for real or a replica?

Mike

"Jay Honeck" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
oups.com...
> http://www.alexisparkinn.com/2005_oshkosh.htm
>
> Finally! Take a peek here to put faces with names of these
> rec.aviation regulars:
>
> - Montblack
> - Jack & Steve Allison (and plane)
> - Jim Weir & Gail Allinson (and plane)
> - Edwin & Jim (& plane)
> - Jim from NC
> - Jim & Tami Burns
> - Eric Rood
> - Blanche Cohen
> - Edwin & Jim
> - Chris Blythe
> - and many, many more!
>
> Read the exciting tale of Mary's first arrival into OSH as
> pilot-in-command! Live through the "Flood of 2005", where 3 inches of
> rain fell on the North 40 in a matter or hours!
>
> Enjoy the "Fly-in Pool Party" and the "North 40 Cookout" vicariously
> here! All at no extra charge!
>
> :-)
>
> Enjoy!
> --
> Jay Honeck
> Iowa City, IA
> Pathfinder N56993
> www.AlexisParkInn.com
> "Your Aviation Destination"

Dave Butler
August 4th 05, 09:07 PM
Michael Nouak wrote:
> Curious about one pic:
>
> Sunday Departure - "Taxiing past the warbirds section..."
>
> ... was that Ju-52 for real or a replica?

It's real.

George Patterson
August 4th 05, 09:41 PM
Blanche wrote:
> oh gawd! i'm *not* pregnant!
>
> I really need to lose weight.

Well, see, John's photo makes you look almost svelte! It's all in the camera angle.

George Patterson

George Patterson
August 4th 05, 09:44 PM
Michael Nouak wrote:

> ... was that Ju-52 for real or a replica?

That appears to be the same one that was there the last time I attended. It's real.

George Patterson

Jay Honeck
August 4th 05, 10:02 PM
> Curious about one pic:
>
> Sunday Departure - "Taxiing past the warbirds section..."
>
> ... was that Ju-52 for real or a replica?

It's real, and freshly re-painted.

Last year it was looking like JU-52's probably did near the end of WWII
-- a real war-horse. Now, it's as beautiful as they can make one of
the ugliest planes ever made...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Blanche
August 5th 05, 12:31 AM
Blanche wrote:
>> oh gawd! i'm *not* pregnant!
>>
>> I really need to lose weight.
>>
>> *sigh*

And Jay replied:
>Hey -- going off the "Fruit Diet" for 8 days in OSH I gained FIVE
>pounds!
>
>So how was the flight home? Did the weather cooperate? Did you hook
>up with a co-pilot? (Ahem, so to speak...)

I *lost* 5 pounds. As for company, yup. United crew joined me. Based
in Denver, so it worked out well. Got home Tuesday just before lunch.

Never again. You midwesterners may call what was there vis 10 and
ceiling 12K, but for us westerners, no way! If I can't see
Pikes Peak from my front yard (it's 60 sm away), then I don't fly
in that direction!

I'm spoiled.

Blanche
August 5th 05, 12:34 AM
George Patterson > wrote:
>Blanche wrote:
>> oh gawd! i'm *not* pregnant!
>>
>> I really need to lose weight.
>
>Well, see, John's photo makes you look almost svelte! It's all in the
>camera angle.

Jay -- tell me more about that fruit diet! It will also help with the
W&B in the airplane.....

RST Engineering
August 5th 05, 01:32 AM
After the Saturday night pool party, are you ABOLUTELY SURE????

{;-)

Jim

"Blanche" > wrote in message

> oh gawd! i'm *not* pregnant!

Jay Honeck
August 5th 05, 03:51 AM
> Jay -- tell me more about that fruit diet! It will also help with the
> W&B in the airplane.....

You can eat all the apples, strawberries, bananas, cherries and grapes you
can stuff into yourself, all day long, for breakfast and lunch. Black
coffee and diet pop are allowed. The occasional flavored rice cake is
permitted, for that necessary crunch.

Then, eat a normal dinner. Anything you want. Beer, wine, dessert -- all
of it. And the pound melt away.

I'm back down to 179 this morning, having lost three pounds (of the five I
gained) in the 4 days I've been back.

It really is amazingly simple, and I'm never, ever hungry. (Although it's
not easy to eat this way on vacation, as Montblack will attest to. I didn't
eat a stitch of fruit the whole time I was in OSH, unless it was hidden in a
pastry! It's hard to find and keep fruit when you're eating out every
meal.)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Rich
August 5th 05, 04:35 AM
OWMG!!!

George Patterson wrote:
> Blanche wrote:
> > oh gawd! i'm *not* pregnant!
> >
> > I really need to lose weight.
>
> Well, see, John's photo makes you look almost svelte! It's all in the camera angle.
>
> George Patterson
> Give a person a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a person to
> use the Internet and he won't bother you for weeks.

Dave Stadt
August 5th 05, 05:19 AM
"Blanche" > wrote in message
> Blanche wrote:
> >> oh gawd! i'm *not* pregnant!
> >>
> >> I really need to lose weight.
> >>
> >> *sigh*
>
> And Jay replied:
> >Hey -- going off the "Fruit Diet" for 8 days in OSH I gained FIVE
> >pounds!
> >
> >So how was the flight home? Did the weather cooperate? Did you hook
> >up with a co-pilot? (Ahem, so to speak...)
>
> I *lost* 5 pounds. As for company, yup. United crew joined me. Based
> in Denver, so it worked out well. Got home Tuesday just before lunch.
>
> Never again. You midwesterners may call what was there vis 10 and
> ceiling 12K, but for us westerners, no way! If I can't see
> Pikes Peak from my front yard (it's 60 sm away), then I don't fly
> in that direction!
>
> I'm spoiled.

5 miles vis in the Midwest in the summer is 2 1/2 miles to the left and 2
1/2 miles to the right. Depending on where the sun is sometimes you can see
what is up ahead.

Jay Honeck
August 5th 05, 02:05 PM
> 5 miles vis in the Midwest in the summer is 2 1/2 miles to the left and 2
> 1/2 miles to the right. Depending on where the sun is sometimes you can
> see
> what is up ahead.

And "Oshkosh VFR" is 1.5 mile in each direction!

:-)

The weather for our trip home on Monday was darned-close-to-perfect, and we
saw no rain and few clouds all the way to Iowa City. (That system you were
waiting for just sat over Des Moines, 100 miles west, all day long, thank
goodness...)

You really should try OSH again someday.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Dave Stadt
August 6th 05, 05:36 AM
"Jay Honeck" > wrote in message
> > 5 miles vis in the Midwest in the summer is 2 1/2 miles to the left and
2
> > 1/2 miles to the right. Depending on where the sun is sometimes you can
> > see
> > what is up ahead.
>
> And "Oshkosh VFR" is 1.5 mile in each direction!
>
> :-)
>
> The weather for our trip home on Monday was darned-close-to-perfect, and
we
> saw no rain and few clouds all the way to Iowa City. (That system you
were
> waiting for just sat over Des Moines, 100 miles west, all day long, thank
> goodness...)
>
> You really should try OSH again someday.
> --
> Jay Honeck
> Iowa City, IA
> Pathfinder N56993
> www.AlexisParkInn.com
> "Your Aviation Destination"

Jay...don't know who you are responding to but we spent 9 days at OSH.
Spent 40 or so hours volunteering in KidVenture. I have departed a couple
of times in 'OSH' VFR. Once the entire 18/36 taxiway was full two wide of
departing traffic. They shut down VFR departures due to low ceiling and bum
vis. It got near airshow time and the options were to re-park several
hundred airplanes or cancel the airshow due to us being on the taxiway. All
of a sudden the ceiling and vis 'improved' and we were on our way.

Morgans
August 6th 05, 07:14 AM
"Dave Stadt" > wrote

> Jay...don't know who you are responding to but we spent 9 days at OSH.
> Spent 40 or so hours volunteering in KidVenture. I have departed a couple
> of times in 'OSH' VFR. Once the entire 18/36 taxiway was full two wide of
> departing traffic. They shut down VFR departures due to low ceiling and
bum
> vis. It got near airshow time and the options were to re-park several
> hundred airplanes or cancel the airshow due to us being on the taxiway.
All
> of a sudden the ceiling and vis 'improved' and we were on our way.

About three years ago, they CLOSED the field, and suddenly the 18 freq. had
two Harriers approaching, and they were told the field was closed. The
Harriers were told this, but they said they were coming in, low fuel. They
were told to report 2 miles, and when they did, the field was suddenly open;
they landed, and it was suddenly closed again.
It was impressive though, being out standing on the taxiway, as they touched
down on a wet runway with a modified short field landing. Needless to say,
the water flew everywhere!
--
Jim in NC

Google