PDA

View Full Version : Peel plying and compound curvature

August 9th 05, 03:31 AM
Hey all,
Is there any way to peel ply a lay up with a lot of compound
curvature, or a more "stretchy" peel ply variant?

Cy Galley
August 9th 05, 04:13 PM
You can also cut regular dacron fabric of the bias and make it work.

"Richard Riley" > wrote in message
> On 8 Aug 2005 19:31:44 -0700, wrote:
>
> :Hey all,
> : Is there any way to peel ply a lay up with a lot of compound
> :curvature, or a more "stretchy" peel ply variant?
>
> There isn't a stretchy peel ply.
>
> Best thing to do is find teflon coated fiberglass "release ply" for
> vacuum bagging. Like this
> http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cmpages/vb7025.php
>
> Cut it on the bias, in relatively small pieces. The size depends on
> how tight the compound curve is. Overlap them.

Cameron Carter
August 10th 05, 01:25 AM
What does bias cut mean? (me dummy)
and if it is the peel ply I've been using, how do you cut it period?
It's almost as bad as Kevlar!

Thanks Cam

> :You can also cut regular dacron fabric of the bias and make it work.
>
> The reason I go to teflon glass is it's easier to remove. When you're
> doing small pieces (playing card size) on a tight curve, dacron drives
> you nuts - hard to get started peeling, then you only pull for a
> moment and you have to start again.
>
> When teflong glass is overlapped, the top layer barely bonded at all -
> like, the bond strength of a post it note. So it's easier to get
> started, that's all. Bias cut dacron will certainly work otherwise.

Cy Galley
August 10th 05, 01:32 AM
Fabric is normally cut along the thread line, But bias cut is at 45° to
either thread line.

"Cameron Carter" > wrote in message
> What does bias cut mean? (me dummy)
> and if it is the peel ply I've been using, how do you cut it period?
> It's almost as bad as Kevlar!
>
> Thanks Cam
>

>> :You can also cut regular dacron fabric of the bias and make it work.
>>
>> The reason I go to teflon glass is it's easier to remove. When you're
>> doing small pieces (playing card size) on a tight curve, dacron drives
>> you nuts - hard to get started peeling, then you only pull for a
>> moment and you have to start again.
>>
>> When teflong glass is overlapped, the top layer barely bonded at all -
>> like, the bond strength of a post it note. So it's easier to get
>> started, that's all. Bias cut dacron will certainly work otherwise.

Google