PDA

View Full Version : EAA Questionnaire?

Jay Honeck
August 11th 05, 06:19 PM
I just received (and completed) my emailed EAA Airventure questionnaire.
Anyone else get one?

Somehow they knew that I had attended OSH, and sent me an email. (I don't
remember supplying my email address to anyone at the convention, so someone
inside EAA has spent some time cross-referencing records...)

Anyway, one of the questions specifically aimed at North 40 airplane campers
was regarding our opinion of the "camp store" and its selection/pricing.

Camp store? Did anyone find a camp store in (or near) the North 40 that
didn't say "Pick N Save" on the roof? If so, where the heck was it?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Margy
August 11th 05, 10:55 PM
Jay Honeck wrote:
> I just received (and completed) my emailed EAA Airventure questionnaire.
> Anyone else get one?
>
> Somehow they knew that I had attended OSH, and sent me an email. (I don't
> remember supplying my email address to anyone at the convention, so someone
> inside EAA has spent some time cross-referencing records...)
>
> Anyway, one of the questions specifically aimed at North 40 airplane campers
> was regarding our opinion of the "camp store" and its selection/pricing.
>
> Camp store? Did anyone find a camp store in (or near) the North 40 that
> didn't say "Pick N Save" on the roof? If so, where the heck was it?
There was and may still be a North 40 camp store, but it's really in the
middle of the show area (it's where the North 40 used to be). That
might be what they are talking about.

Margy

Jay Honeck
August 12th 05, 12:24 AM
> There was and may still be a North 40 camp store, but it's really in the
> middle of the show area (it's where the North 40 used to be). That might
> be what they are talking about.

When we started camping in the North 40 the Warbirds ran a camp store, with
the basics (ice, donuts, pop, etc.).

That disappeared in '99 or so.

I haven't seen anything anywhere like it since, although I hear there is one
over in Scholler?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Bryan Burchfield
August 12th 05, 12:25 AM
"Jay Honeck" > wrote:

> I just received (and completed) my emailed EAA Airventure
> questionnaire. Anyone else get one?
>
> Somehow they knew that I had attended OSH, and sent me an email. (I
> don't remember supplying my email address to anyone at the convention,
> so someone inside EAA has spent some time cross-referencing
> records...)

You probably have your email address attached to your EAA member info.
That's assuming you're an EAA member. It's a simple database lookup to
blast out emails to all EAA members who registered for the event.

I've camped in the north-north 40 four years now (errr, 4 times) and have
never seen a "camp store" on the field.

Did you notice question #24 was a "rate 1 to 5" question but had buttons
for answers 1 thru 6? :)

--
Bryan Burchfield, PP-ASEL
www.biffshangar.com

RST Engineering
August 12th 05, 12:34 AM
You talking about the Red Barn over by the Ultralight group?

Jim

> I haven't seen anything anywhere like it since, although I hear there is
> one over in Scholler?
> --

Jay Honeck
August 12th 05, 12:44 AM
>> I haven't seen anything anywhere like it since, although I hear there is
>> one over in Scholler?

> You talking about the Red Barn over by the Ultralight group?

Not sure. I've heard there is a camp store in/near Camp Scholler, although
to be honest, I don't think I could find Camp Scholler on the grounds. I've
never driven there!

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Kyle Boatright
August 12th 05, 01:09 AM
"Jay Honeck" > wrote in message
>>> I haven't seen anything anywhere like it since, although I hear there is
>>> one over in Scholler?
>
>> You talking about the Red Barn over by the Ultralight group?
>
> Not sure. I've heard there is a camp store in/near Camp Scholler,
> although to be honest, I don't think I could find Camp Scholler on the
> grounds. I've never driven there!
>
> :-)
> --
> Jay Honeck
> Iowa City, IA
> Pathfinder N56993
> www.AlexisParkInn.com
> "Your Aviation Destination"

The third time I flew into Osh, I took my father. Since the old Tomahawk
had a whopping 508 pound useful load, we cut corners on campgear. As we were
packing, Dad mentioned bug spray, and I said "Naah, never needed it before,
let's leave it", so we did. Well, just as soon as we arrived at Oshkosh and
unlatched the Tommie's doors, we were swarmed by mosquitoes. I literally
RAN to the camp store, catching it about 2 minutes before closing time.
Next time dad suggests bringing bug spray, I'm listening...

As Jay pointed out earlier, that store was just South of the warbirds area.
That store is gone, and I think was displaced by more warbird parking.

As for the Red Barn, it is probably 1/4 mile due West of the control tower.
A hell of a walk from the North 40, and a heck of a walk from Homebuilt
camping.

KB

August 12th 05, 02:26 AM
> When we started camping in the North 40 the Warbirds ran a camp store,
with
> the basics (ice, donuts, pop, etc.).
>
> That disappeared in '99 or so.
>
> I haven't seen anything anywhere like it since, although I hear there is
one
> over in Scholler?
> --
> Jay Honeck

Not just one, but at least two! There's the big red barn which is just down
the road (west) a bit from Theater in the Woods, then one about another half
mile or so farther. Both had pretty good selections (the barn in particular)
and lots of ice at pretty good prices every time I went in. Those are the
only two I hit during the week since they were on the way to my tent.

-Tony Gotez

Dave Wewers
August 12th 05, 03:09 AM
"Jay Honeck" > wrote:

>Camp store? Did anyone find a camp store in (or near) the North 40 that
>didn't say "Pick N Save" on the roof? If so, where the heck was it?

I made a similar comment on the survey! It was nice when the camp
store in the Warbirds area was there, but apparently we were in the
minority.

I also found it interesting that on every question a high number was a
"favorable" response, except for #25 (IIRC), where it was the
opposite. I commented at the end of the survey that they may not want
to put too much stock in the response to that question!

john smith
August 12th 05, 03:52 AM
wrote:
> Not just one, but at least two! There's the big red barn which is just down
> the road (west) a bit from Theater in the Woods, then one about another half
> mile or so farther.

The Red Barn down by the Ultralight area?
That was where the airport's southern boundary was until 1988.
Immediately following Oshkosh, work began on the 1000 foot runway
extension to allow Concorde more runway for landing and takeoffs.

john smith
August 12th 05, 03:55 AM
Did anyone else notice when they went to enter their zip code that the
program automatically completed it what their appropriate zip+4 code?
They know exactly who and how the questions were answered.

Jay Honeck
August 12th 05, 04:26 AM
> I think you are talking about the store that is right by the "big bomb."
> It
> was closed, and when I asked why, I was told it was because there was not
> enough business to keep it going. Every time I was there, it was packed.
> don't get it.

Read between the lines. They can make (at most) $.50 on a bag of ice. They
can make $7.00 on a warbirds shirt -- and the shirts require NO restocking
(or refrigeration) throughout the show.

A retail food store is a bitch of a business. A retail food store with an
8-day lifespan is darned near impossible to make work. It sucks that it's
gone, but I fully understand their reasons...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

August 12th 05, 04:42 AM
John Smith wrote

> The Red Barn down by the Ultralight area?
> That was where the airport's southern boundary was until 1988.
> Immediately following Oshkosh, work began on the 1000 foot runway
> extension to allow Concorde more runway for landing and takeoffs.

Nope, it's on the corner of Schaick and Forest Home Ave, kind of caddy
corner from Paul's Park. It's visible in the background of the following
picture which is looking west.
http://www.togo84.com/picturearchives/Oshkosh_2005/Camp_Scholler/img_6989.jpg

-Tony Goetz

Morgans
August 12th 05, 05:05 AM
"Kyle Boatright" > wrote

> As Jay pointed out earlier, that store was just South of the warbirds
area.
> That store is gone, and I think was displaced by more warbird parking.

I think you are talking about the store that is right by the "big bomb." It
was closed, and when I asked why, I was told it was because there was not
enough business to keep it going. Every time I was there, it was packed. I
don't get it.

It is now used by the warbirds, as a warbirds souvenir store, IIRC.

I, for one, would be all in favor of a "North" camp store. The North 40
needs it, and with the new HB parking area, there are even more people that
could be using it.
--
Jim in NC

Morgans
August 12th 05, 05:07 AM
"Bryan Burchfield" > wrote

> I've camped in the north-north 40 four years now (errr, 4 times) and have
> never seen a "camp store" on the field.

They knew you were coming, and closed it that year. <g>

That was about when it closed.
--
Jim in NC

Morgans
August 12th 05, 06:27 AM
"Jay Honeck" > wrote

> Read between the lines. They can make (at most) $.50 on a bag of ice.
They
> can make $7.00 on a warbirds shirt -- and the shirts require NO restocking
> (or refrigeration) throughout the show.

You are right, but it seems there should be a few things that are done as a
"public service" by the EAA, and camp store should be one of them. Their
goal should be to not lose money, and make a little.

After all, one reason that some people keep coming back, is that it is not
too much "roughing it."

Speaking of surveys and Airventure, did anyone besides me notice that the
outhouses were significantly smellier, despite very cool temps? It seemed
to me that they changed formulas in the blue water, or used less of it. The
chemical smell was different IMHO, and they got very rank, very quick.

Also, it seemed like there were less dumpsters, or less pickups. The
dumpsters around food vendors seemed to be constantly overflowing.

Perhaps it was record crowds that caused the problems, but I don't think so.
EAA, are you listening? Everyone with a survey, consider putting those
things on your form, if you agree with me, please.
--
Jim in NC

Jay Honeck
August 12th 05, 02:11 PM
> Speaking of surveys and Airventure, did anyone besides me notice that the
> outhouses were significantly smellier, despite very cool temps? It seemed
> to me that they changed formulas in the blue water, or used less of it.

Yep. In 2004, we all commented how the porta-potties smelled so good.
(Like Pina Coladas, if I recall...)

This year, they either smelled like nothing, or were mildly stinky.
Nothing terrible, mind you, but certainly not good.

Budget cuts? The price of fake coconut smell must've spiked, or sumpin'...

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

John T
August 12th 05, 02:22 PM
I thought they were referring to the barn store.

At the end, I laid into them about vehicles being dangerous, and booth
pricing being too high for the little guy, and non-aviation dealers in
the fly market.

John

john smith
August 12th 05, 02:29 PM
Morgans wrote:
> Perhaps it was record crowds that caused the problems, but I don't think so.
> EAA, are you listening? Everyone with a survey, consider putting those
> things on your form, if you agree with me, please.

You do realize that you can submit multiple survey responses don't you?

ET
August 12th 05, 02:49 PM
john smith > wrote in news:IcUKe.66304$yC5.45678
@tornado.ohiordc.rr.com:

> Did anyone else notice when they went to enter their zip code that the
> program automatically completed it what their appropriate zip+4 code?
> They know exactly who and how the questions were answered.

No, that was the "autocomplete" feature of your browser....

Don't be so paranoid <grin>

--
-- ET >:-)

"A common mistake people make when trying to design something
fools."---- Douglas Adams

john smith
August 13th 05, 04:15 AM
Morgans wrote:
> I didn't fly in, so I didn't get a survey.

Don't let that stop you!
Here's the URL...

http://www.eaa.org/survey/av2005m.htm

Knock yourself out!

Morgans
August 13th 05, 05:09 AM
"Jay Honeck" > wrote

> This year, they either smelled like nothing, or were mildly stinky.
> Nothing terrible, mind you, but certainly not good.

In our camp, we had around 120 people, and 2 porta johns for our use.
Mildly stinky does not even come close to describing the smell. ;-((

During Rutan and crew at theater in the woods, they started pumping the
johns right next to where the overflow crowd was sitting. The wind was
blowing towards me, and I was around 200 feet away. It was nasty, real
nasty.

I talked to some from our group that were closer, and they said they had to
leave.

I really hope that someone does something about the problem, before next
year.
--
Jim in NC

Morgans
August 13th 05, 05:10 AM
"john smith" > wrote in message
. ..
> Morgans wrote:
> > Perhaps it was record crowds that caused the problems, but I don't think
so.
> > EAA, are you listening? Everyone with a survey, consider putting those
> > things on your form, if you agree with me, please.
>
> You do realize that you can submit multiple survey responses don't you?

I didn't fly in, so I didn't get a survey.
--
Jim in NC

Morgans
August 14th 05, 02:53 AM
"john smith" > wrote in message news:pBdLe.67615

> Don't let that stop you!
> Here's the URL...
>
> http://www.eaa.org/survey/av2005m.htm
>
> Knock yourself out!