PDA

View Full Version : How do the big boys dimple?

larsen-tools
December 13th 04, 03:07 AM
It seems that they would use something other than "C-frames" with dimple die
sets and a dead blow mallet.

Chuck
December 13th 04, 06:42 PM
I made a tool out of a vise grip clamp. I just cut off the ends and brazed a
couple of dies to the ends. Worked great.
"larsen-tools" > wrote in message
> It seems that they would use something other than "C-frames" with dimple
> die
> sets and a dead blow mallet.

John Kunkel
December 13th 04, 08:03 PM
"larsen-tools" > wrote in message
> It seems that they would use something other than "C-frames" with dimple
die
> sets and a dead blow mallet.

http://www.ustool.com/usstore.asp?WCI=wciViewItem&WCE=94026

Morgans
December 13th 04, 09:15 PM
"John Kunkel" > wrote

> http://www.ustool.com/usstore.asp?WCI=wciViewItem&WCE=94026

What is the advantage to using heat for dimpleing or riveting, and how hot?
--
Jim in NC

Barnyard BOb -
December 14th 04, 06:25 AM
"Morgans" wrote:

>"John Kunkel" > wrote
>
>> http://www.ustool.com/usstore.asp?WCI=wciViewItem&WCE=94026
>>

>What is the advantage to using heat for dimpleing or riveting, and how hot?

On a need to know basis.......
You got $22,500 for the machine?

DIMPLING, not dimpleling.

Pssst...
Anyone here teach shop? <g>

Barnyard BOb -

Jan Carlsson
December 14th 04, 07:29 AM
> Pssst...
> Anyone here teach shop? <g>
>

> Barnyard BOb -

Does who have know-how!

Jan Carlsson

Morgans
December 14th 04, 08:22 AM
"Barnyard BOb -" > wrote

> On a need to know basis.......
> You got $22,500 for the machine?
>
> DIMPLING, not dimpleling.
>
> Pssst...
> Anyone here teach shop? <g>
>

> Barnyard BOb -
??????????????????????????

Not your usual spelling word..

By the way, anyone here teach *metal* shop? I don't.
--
Jim in NC

Corky Scott
December 14th 04, 01:17 PM
On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 19:07:00 -0800, "larsen-tools"
> wrote:

>It seems that they would use something other than "C-frames" with dimple die
>sets and a dead blow mallet.

Before I bit the bullet and bought a rivet squeezer, I drilled some
bar stock for the size of the dimple stem and set the female piece
into the barstock, then clamped that into the vice.

Did the same thing with the die. Then I drilled the holes I wanted to
dimple, set the die into the hole and set the die into the dimple in
the vice and wacked it with the hammer.

I ended up setting things up so that the sheet of aluminum was
supported at several corners so that the sheet was level where the die
was.

This worked, after a fashion. With a bit of practice the dimples
started looking right. I set the rivets in the same manner: Set
countersunk rivet into the dimpled hole, flipped the work upside down
and held the rivet against a bucking bar clamped in the vice. Then I
used the hammer to squash the rivet until it was flattened about the
proper amount. Needless to say, these weren't structural parts I was
building.

Still don't own a rivet gun, but I should get one one of these days.

Corky Scott

Barnyard BOb -
December 14th 04, 02:50 PM
"Morgans" wrote:

>> On a need to know basis.......
>> You got $22,500 for the machine?
>>
>> DIMPLING, not dimpleling.
>>
>> Pssst...
>> Anyone here teach shop? <g>
>>

>> Barnyard BOb -
>??????????????????????????
>
>Not your usual spelling word..
>
>By the way, anyone here teach *metal* shop? I don't.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Gee whiz.
Carpe Diem, dude !!!!!

Dimpling might not be a *USUAL* word for you....
but, a grade school *spelling rule* should be.

Seize the initiative, surf the net and elsewhere
for answers in areas where you are weak...
for your personal growth and development.

At some point....
Spoon feeding info is like giving a hungry man a fish.
Better to teach him to fish, so he can take care of himself.

Fishing lesson #1 -

A short GENERAL spelling pattern lies below.

It's NOT applicable for all words, but no way could
you do worse by simply and always dropping the "E"
and adding "ING".

dimple - dimpling

true - truing

rotate - rotating

bore - boring

taste - tasting

bake - baking

make - making

ride - riding

BB -

Ron Wanttaja
December 14th 04, 03:05 PM
On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 08:17:46 -0500, Corky Scott
> wrote:

>This worked, after a fashion. With a bit of practice the dimples
>started looking right. I set the rivets in the same manner: Set
>countersunk rivet into the dimpled hole, flipped the work upside down
>and held the rivet against a bucking bar clamped in the vice. Then I
>used the hammer to squash the rivet until it was flattened about the
>proper amount. Needless to say, these weren't structural parts I was
>building.

OTOH, a friend of mine built an entire T-18 this way. The airplane has been
flying for almost 30 years....

Ron Wanttaja

jls
December 14th 04, 04:33 PM
"Wide birth" BOb gives a spelling lesson. He don't know nothin' 'bout
berthin' no babies.
"Barnyard BOb -" > wrote in message

> "Morgans" wrote:
>

> >> On a need to know basis.......
> >> You got $22,500 for the machine?
> >>
> >> DIMPLING, not dimpleling.
> >>
> >> Pssst...
> >> Anyone here teach shop? <g>
> >>

> >> Barnyard BOb -
> >??????????????????????????
> >
> >Not your usual spelling word..
> >
> >By the way, anyone here teach *metal* shop? I don't.
> +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>
> Gee whiz.
> Carpe Diem, dude !!!!!
>
> Dimpling might not be a *USUAL* word for you....
> but, a grade school *spelling rule* should be.
>
> Seize the initiative, surf the net and elsewhere
> for answers in areas where you are weak...
> for your personal growth and development.
>
> At some point....
> Spoon feeding info is like giving a hungry man a fish.
> Better to teach him to fish, so he can take care of himself.
>

> Fishing lesson #1 -
>
> A short GENERAL spelling pattern lies below.
>
> It's NOT applicable for all words, but no way could
> you do worse by simply and always dropping the "E"
> and adding "ING".
>

> dimple - dimpling
>
> true - truing
>
> rotate - rotating
>
> bore - boring
>
> taste - tasting
>
> bake - baking
>
> make - making
>
> ride - riding
>

> BB -

Jordan, I'm thoroughly disgusted and ashamed of you.
>No longer can I distinguish a promising teenager from his mentor,
>so..... I'm packing it in where you are concerned. If I see you
>at any fly-ins, I will give you a wide birth. You and I no longer
>have anything to say to each other... at least nothing I want
>to hear from a vile and totally disrespectful teenage mouth.
BB

Morgans
December 14th 04, 09:26 PM
"Barnyard BOb -" > wrote in message

> Gee whiz.
> Carpe Diem, dude !!!!!
>
> Dimpling might not be a *USUAL* word for you....
> but, a grade school *spelling rule* should be.

Oh, I see what I did, now! I just got carried way with my fingers and added
a whole 'nother "el". My mind should have caught it, but I *did* end it
with "ling", just like I meant to!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!
--
Jim in NC

Morgans
December 14th 04, 09:30 PM
"Ron Wanttaja" > wrote >
> OTOH, a friend of mine built an entire T-18 this way. The airplane has
been
> flying for almost 30 years....
>
> Ron Wanttaja

Nobody yet has answered why the dimpling machine has a heater in it, and how
hot. Anyone?
--
Jim in NC

December 15th 04, 04:26 AM
Morgans wrote:

> Nobody yet has answered why the dimpling machine has a heater in it,
and how
> hot. Anyone?
> --
> Jim in NC

It aneals the area around the hole and allows it to take the dimple
without becoming too brittle. Different anealing temps for different
alloys.

Craig C.

Morgans
December 15th 04, 04:39 AM
> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Morgans wrote:
> > >
> > Nobody yet has answered why the dimpling machine has a heater in it,
> and how
> > hot. Anyone?
> > --
> > Jim in NC
>
> It aneals the area around the hole and allows it to take the dimple
> without becoming too brittle. Different anealing temps for different
> alloys.
>
> Craig C.

After it is anealed, it is weakeded, right? Is anything done to get it back
to it's previous state, or is that not important?
--
Jim in NC

Jan Carlsson
December 16th 04, 08:18 AM
It is "ageing" hardening it self just like copper.

Jan Carlsson
www.jcpropellerdesign.com

> After it is anealed, it is weakeded, right? Is anything done to get it
back
> to it's previous state, or is that not important?
> --
> Jim in NC

Google