PDA

View Full Version : O2 single pilot and VLJ

August 15th 05, 09:12 PM
Some small jets are currently certified for single pilot operation.

Is the only pilot required to don his mask above some altitude?

Do they actually do it?

Does single pilot operation require a smart "descend if pressure is low" autopilot?

I read a recent review of the new gulfstream that the autopilot automagically descends if presure is lost.

As a side note I read in todays USA today a description of a 727 incident in 1996 where
pressure was lost and both the pilot and flight engineer passed out.
The co-pilot with 10 hours time in type saved the day.

I sense a new rule comming.....

Paul

Happy Dog
August 15th 05, 09:24 PM
> wrote in message

> I sense a new rule comming.....

*That* is probably the most accurate prediction made in the Greek crash
thread.

moo

Chris Colohan
August 15th 05, 11:07 PM
writes:
> Some small jets are currently certified for single pilot operation.
>
> Is the only pilot required to don his mask above some altitude?

AFAIK, no.

> Do they actually do it?

As far as I have observed, no.

> Does single pilot operation require a smart "descend if pressure is low" autopilot?

AFAIK, no.

(I travelled as a passenger in the copilot seat of a single-pilot jet
once, and am just reporting my observations...)

Chris
--
Chris Colohan Email: PGP: finger
Web: www.colohan.com Phone: (412)268-4751

Bret Ludwig
August 16th 05, 02:05 AM
It's long overdue. The military lost jet pilots in fighters in the 50s
and 60s due to cockpit pressurization failure despite the ready
availablity of oxygen-guys didn't notice and passed out. Then there was
Payne Stewart, which proved 1) product liability is bull**** (else the
Stewarts would now own a chunk of real estate on Harry St. in Wichita)
and 2) it can happen, will happen, and there is an obvious fix.

Don Hammer
August 18th 05, 04:03 AM

>I read a recent review of the new gulfstream that the autopilot automagically descends if presure is lost.

A lot of new aircraft have this feature. Cessna has been doing it for
years on Citations. Engine goes to idle and it will decend and level
at 14K. That will work fine unless you're over the Andies.

Happy Dog
August 18th 05, 09:15 AM
"Don Hammer" > wrote in
>>I read a recent review of the new gulfstream that the autopilot
>>automagically descends if presure is lost.
>>
> A lot of new aircraft have this feature. Cessna has been doing it for
> years on Citations. Engine goes to idle and it will decend and level
> at 14K. That will work fine unless you're over the Andies.

Is it TWAS coupled?

moo

Google