PDA

View Full Version : smoothing rough concrete hangar floor?

August 16th 05, 06:34 AM
We put in a concrete hangar floor and the finish is less than
desirable. There are patches where it's recessed (about 1/8"- 1/4"
recessed and rough) and then other areas where it's rough and proud
(about 1/8") with swirl marks.

Is there anything we can do to mechanically smooth this? Do they make
a big sander for concrete and how well does it work?

Is there anything we can do about the low spots or do we just knock off
the high spots and then not do anything about the low spots?

This is a new hangar floor (a couple months old) that hasn't had any
oils, etc on it yet.

We were hoping to level/smooth it pretty nice and then put some sort of
paint or sealer on it so that we could use a dust mop instead of a
broom . Recommendations on the best smooth sealer for the money
(knowing that it's a new floor and won't have oils, etc in it yet)?

Roger
August 16th 05, 09:13 AM
On 15 Aug 2005 22:34:35 -0700, wrote:

>We put in a concrete hangar floor and the finish is less than
>desirable. There are patches where it's recessed (about 1/8"- 1/4"
>recessed and rough) and then other areas where it's rough and proud
>(about 1/8") with swirl marks.
>
>Is there anything we can do to mechanically smooth this? Do they make
>a big sander for concrete and how well does it work?
>
>Is there anything we can do about the low spots or do we just knock off
>the high spots and then not do anything about the low spots?
>
>This is a new hangar floor (a couple months old) that hasn't had any
>oils, etc on it yet.
>
>We were hoping to level/smooth it pretty nice and then put some sort of
>paint or sealer on it so that we could use a dust mop instead of a
>broom . Recommendations on the best smooth sealer for the money
>(knowing that it's a new floor and won't have oils, etc in it yet)?

Some one must make the equivalent of a sander or grinder for the rough
surface but I've never seen one.

I have four coats of the two part epoxy garage floor coating sold by
Lowe's on all but one end of the shop which has three coats with the
top coat sanded. The four coats are like a mirror.. It's a name brand
but I've forgotten which. I still have two gallons some where out in
the shop so I could look it up.

Even for a new, clean floor you acid etch and wash the concrete.
A power washer is nice for that.
You mix it, let it set for a few minutes and then roll it on with a
paint roller. The solvents are nasty and flammable (more like ether
fumes). I'd suggest a full hood breathing apparatus.

The stuff works great. Fills well and is durable.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Scott
August 16th 05, 11:48 AM
How slippery is the stuff when wet?

> I have four coats of the two part epoxy garage floor coating sold by
> Lowe's on all but one end of the shop which has three coats with the
> top coat sanded. The four coats are like a mirror.. It's a name brand
> but I've forgotten which. I still have two gallons some where out in
> the shop so I could look it up.
>

> The stuff works great. Fills well and is durable.
>
> Roger Halstead (K8RI & ARRL life member)
> (N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
> www.rogerhalstead.com

GeorgeB
August 16th 05, 12:16 PM
On 15 Aug 2005 22:34:35 -0700, wrote:

>We put in a concrete hangar floor and the finish is less than
>desirable. There are patches where it's recessed (about 1/8"- 1/4"
>recessed and rough) and then other areas where it's rough and proud
>(about 1/8") with swirl marks.
>
>Is there anything we can do to mechanically smooth this? Do they make
>a big sander for concrete and how well does it work?
>
>Is there anything we can do about the low spots or do we just knock off
>the high spots and then not do anything about the low spots?
>
>This is a new hangar floor (a couple months old) that hasn't had any
>oils, etc on it yet.
>
>We were hoping to level/smooth it pretty nice and then put some sort of
>paint or sealer on it so that we could use a dust mop instead of a
>broom . Recommendations on the best smooth sealer for the money
>(knowing that it's a new floor and won't have oils, etc in it yet)?

There is a standard process, terrazzo, which accomplishes the lowering
of high spots. There are ADVERTISED "thinset" products to fill in the
low spots. Contact some of oyur local concrete folks and ask them.

Quite a few finishes are available for concrete whihc will give a
smooth, oil and tire resistant finish. Again, ask the local concrete
guy for recommendations. Lowes and The Home Depot both have several.
Some work much better than others, I understand.

IMO, someone incorrectly specified the final finishon the concrete; it
could have easily been finished "real slick" (that's a technical term
for slicker than snot on a doorknob<g>) rather than "broom finish"
which you apparently got. BTW, broom finsih IS a real term, and is
common when it might get wet so one walking doesn't fall on his
backside.

Andy Asberry
August 16th 05, 02:22 PM
On 15 Aug 2005 22:34:35 -0700, wrote:

>We put in a concrete hangar floor and the finish is less than
>desirable. There are patches where it's recessed (about 1/8"- 1/4"
>recessed and rough) and then other areas where it's rough and proud
>(about 1/8") with swirl marks.
>
>Is there anything we can do to mechanically smooth this? Do they make
>a big sander for concrete and how well does it work?
>
>Is there anything we can do about the low spots or do we just knock off
>the high spots and then not do anything about the low spots?
>
>This is a new hangar floor (a couple months old) that hasn't had any
>oils, etc on it yet.
>
>We were hoping to level/smooth it pretty nice and then put some sort of
>paint or sealer on it so that we could use a dust mop instead of a
>broom . Recommendations on the best smooth sealer for the money
>(knowing that it's a new floor and won't have oils, etc in it yet)?

It may be faster/cheaper to pour an overlay of new concrete about 2"
thick. Specify a hard finish.

You can rent grinders to smooth the existing floor. Think big bad
floor buffer with a stone pad. Lots of dust. If you go this route, the
sooner the better. Concrete gets harder the longer it cures. Any
aggregate that is close to the surface will be exposed. If that is
objectionable, use a colored epoxy that will cover it.

August 16th 05, 02:48 PM
On 15 Aug 2005 22:34:35 -0700, wrote:

>We put in a concrete hangar floor and the finish is less than
>desirable. There are patches where it's recessed (about 1/8"- 1/4"
>recessed and rough) and then other areas where it's rough and proud
>(about 1/8") with swirl marks.
>
>Is there anything we can do to mechanically smooth this? Do they make
>a big sander for concrete and how well does it work?

There is a product called "ARDEX" that was used inside to smooth out a
rough finished concrete floor. It's fairly easy to use in that you
mix it and then simply pour over the floor allowing it to settle in
and level out. When it cures, the surface is smooth.

It was used inside an occupied building and did not have much of an
odor to it.

Corky Scott

August 16th 05, 07:45 PM
On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 04:13:43 -0400, Roger
> wrote:

>On 15 Aug 2005 22:34:35 -0700, wrote:
>
>>We put in a concrete hangar floor and the finish is less than
>>desirable. There are patches where it's recessed (about 1/8"- 1/4"
>>recessed and rough) and then other areas where it's rough and proud
>>(about 1/8") with swirl marks.
>>
>>Is there anything we can do to mechanically smooth this? Do they make
>>a big sander for concrete and how well does it work?
>>
>>Is there anything we can do about the low spots or do we just knock off
>>the high spots and then not do anything about the low spots?
>>
>>This is a new hangar floor (a couple months old) that hasn't had any
>>oils, etc on it yet.
>>
>>We were hoping to level/smooth it pretty nice and then put some sort of
>>paint or sealer on it so that we could use a dust mop instead of a
>>broom . Recommendations on the best smooth sealer for the money
>>(knowing that it's a new floor and won't have oils, etc in it yet)?
>
>Some one must make the equivalent of a sander or grinder for the rough
>surface but I've never seen one.

There is. It's called a Terrazo grinder. Or is it terazzo.No, it's
Terrazzo. Anyway - it does exist. Terco and Oztec are two names.
Check local concrete and flooring contractors - most of the good ones
around here are either Italian or Portugese.

>I have four coats of the two part epoxy garage floor coating sold by
>Lowe's on all but one end of the shop which has three coats with the
>top coat sanded. The four coats are like a mirror.. It's a name brand
>but I've forgotten which. I still have two gallons some where out in
>the shop so I could look it up.
>
>Even for a new, clean floor you acid etch and wash the concrete.
>A power washer is nice for that.
>You mix it, let it set for a few minutes and then roll it on with a
>paint roller. The solvents are nasty and flammable (more like ether
>fumes). I'd suggest a full hood breathing apparatus.
>
>The stuff works great. Fills well and is durable.
>
>Roger Halstead (K8RI & ARRL life member)
>(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
>www.rogerhalstead.com

Jean-Paul Roy
August 17th 05, 05:54 AM
And here is the link:

http://www.ardex.com/home.htm

Hope this helps

Jean-Paul
> wrote in message
> On 15 Aug 2005 22:34:35 -0700, wrote:
>
> >We put in a concrete hangar floor and the finish is less than
> >desirable. There are patches where it's recessed (about 1/8"- 1/4"
> >recessed and rough) and then other areas where it's rough and proud
> >(about 1/8") with swirl marks.
> >
> >Is there anything we can do to mechanically smooth this? Do they make
> >a big sander for concrete and how well does it work?
>
> There is a product called "ARDEX" that was used inside to smooth out a
> rough finished concrete floor. It's fairly easy to use in that you
> mix it and then simply pour over the floor allowing it to settle in
> and level out. When it cures, the surface is smooth.
>
> It was used inside an occupied building and did not have much of an
> odor to it.
>
> Corky Scott

Roger
August 17th 05, 08:36 AM
On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 10:48:35 +0000, Scott >
wrote:

>How slippery is the stuff when wet?

Slippery? <evil grin>
Sawdust or wet? Kinda like snot on a door knob.
I went over it with an industrial orbital sander where I bring in the
equipment. That gave a dull finish and one where you won't bust you
butt trying to walk. The shiny part was more like going out onto the
ice with your skate guards still on.

The rest was like a freshly waxed floor for about the first year. Now
I don't notice any difference between the two areas except the finish.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

>> I have four coats of the two part epoxy garage floor coating sold by
>> Lowe's on all but one end of the shop which has three coats with the
>> top coat sanded. The four coats are like a mirror.. It's a name brand
>> but I've forgotten which. I still have two gallons some where out in
>> the shop so I could look it up.
>>

>> The stuff works great. Fills well and is durable.
>>
>> Roger Halstead (K8RI & ARRL life member)
>> (N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
>> www.rogerhalstead.com

Lou
August 17th 05, 11:42 AM
You can buy a product commonly known as floor leveler. Mixed right it
will do just what your asking, fill in all the valleys up to the
highest point provided the highest point isn't more than 3/4". Get
yourself a set of knee pads and a finishing trowel and do small areas
at a time. Home Depot selles it, I don't know about lowes since I've
only been in 2 of them and found they have the dumbest employees.
You can also hire a concrete company to do this but I'm going to guess
that how the floor ended up the way it did. You can go the epoxy way
but I'll bet you spend almost as much on that as the floor itself.
Lou

Roger
August 19th 05, 01:28 AM
On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 09:48:51 -0400,
wrote:

>On 15 Aug 2005 22:34:35 -0700, wrote:
>
>>We put in a concrete hangar floor and the finish is less than
>>desirable. There are patches where it's recessed (about 1/8"- 1/4"
>>recessed and rough) and then other areas where it's rough and proud
>>(about 1/8") with swirl marks.

That's a lot more than I'd expect for a "broom finish".

>>Is there anything we can do to mechanically smooth this? Do they make
>>a big sander for concrete and how well does it work?
>
>There is a product called "ARDEX" that was used inside to smooth out a
>rough finished concrete floor. It's fairly easy to use in that you
>mix it and then simply pour over the floor allowing it to settle in
>and level out. When it cures, the surface is smooth.

One thing to remember when using this kind of product. The floor
needs to be very close to level over all. You definitely will find
the high and low spots.

When I acid etched the shop floor and then pressure washed it I found,
contrary to what was supposed to be) the low spot was centered on the
south wall instead of at the East end at the large door. Still the
floor must be within a 1/4" over all. I don't consider that bad for a
28 X 40 foot floor.

>It was used inside an occupied building and did not have much of an
>odor to it.

The two part epoxy garage/shop floor finish not only smells, but it's
bad for you and it's explosive.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

>Corky Scott

August 22nd 05, 08:10 PM
wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 04:13:43 -0400, Roger
> > wrote:
>
> >On 15 Aug 2005 22:34:35 -0700, wrote:
> >
> >>We put in a concrete hangar floor and the finish is less than
> >>desirable. ...
> >>Is there anything we can do to mechanically smooth this? Do they make
> >>a big sander for concrete and how well does it work?

> There is. It's called a Terrazo grinder. Or is it terazzo.No, it's
> Terrazzo. Anyway - it does exist. Terco and Oztec are two names.
> Check local concrete and flooring contractors - most of the good ones
> around here are either Italian or Portugese.

Yes, I saw one of these used on _This Old House_. Memory fades
but it looks and was being used like a floor buffer on a wet
surface. Looked to be a very slow process too, they didn't have
a very large area to smooth and level.

Smoothing is one thing, to level the floor you need to establish
some sort of reference plane to check the floor against. A laser
level might be good for that.

Concrete is much easier to smooth and level when it's still wet.

--

FF

Google