PDA

View Full Version : What does God fly?

john smith
August 16th 05, 06:07 PM
If you want to know, you have to read Gordon Baxter's last column for
FLYING magazine, PILOT HEAVEN.(See the September 2005 issue, page 28.)

George Patterson
August 17th 05, 03:45 AM
He flys a V-tail Bonanza. He thinks he's a doctor.

George Patterson

Jay Honeck
August 17th 05, 04:57 AM
> If you want to know, you have to read Gordon Baxter's last column for
> FLYING magazine, PILOT HEAVEN.(See the September 2005 issue, page 28.)

Just got my copy today, and turned immediately to Bax's last column, written
(and saved) since 1989.

No one ever wrote like Bax. Ever will, either.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

cjcampbell
August 17th 05, 10:44 AM
God is perfect and, of course, is a perfect pilot. He is type rated in
everything, including all aircraft that have not been invented yet. He
also holds all certificates and ratings in every country in the world.
Despite all this, He seems to spend most of His time in His Pietenpol
Air Camper, for some odd reason.

Christopher Campbell
World Famous Flight Instructor

(Just because I am doing missionary work in the Philippines doesn't
mean I don't check in once in awhile.)

Thomas Borchert
August 17th 05, 10:55 AM
Cjcampbell,

> God is perfect

as can be seen in his creation? <gd&r>

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Jim Burns
August 17th 05, 03:26 PM
I read Bax's column again last night, again. It gives me the "flying is
just soooo cool, and I'm truly blessed to be a pilot" feeling, just like
R.B.'s J.L. Seagull does every time that I read it. It only added to my
alignment with all other fanatical pilots like us who can't imagine that
their flying desires will ever be satisfied.

Someday... hopefully many years from now, when the time is right and the
winds are calm... I will humbly ask Eddie Stinson or one of his sisters to
check me out in their pristine Gullwing Stinson Reliant. Wally Beech will
be there and when the mood is right, like a young ramp rat I'll beg him for
the privilege of washing his big Wright 420 Staggerwing for a short ride
with him.

Jimmy Franklin and Bobby Younkin will have joined up with the Charlie
Hilliard, Leo Loudenslager, Duane Cole, the Great Waldo Pepper, and others,
to put together a Best of the Master's Show. God will have given Bob
Hoover, and everyone else, permanent medical certificates and Bob will be
there teaching aerodynamics and energy management along side Bernouli and
Newton.

Howard Hughes will spend eternity comfortably doing what he loved,
unfettered by politics, unhaunted by voices, and unlimited by budgets and
finances. The Hercules will fly high and often, giving rides and amazing
the masses. The phrase "Spruce Goose" will be forgotten by all, never to be
spoken again.

I fear by the time that day comes that Dick and Burt will be there. I'll
gladly stand in line for a few minutes of their time... after all, what will
time mean? Time will mean nothing, and maybe this will be the greatest
feature of heaven. So many heros.... so many great airplanes.... and all
the time in the world for each of them. Everyday will be the Golden Age of
Aviation.

Jim

Jay Honeck
August 17th 05, 03:37 PM
> I fear by the time that day comes that Dick and Burt will be there. I'll
> gladly stand in line for a few minutes of their time... after all, what
> will
> time mean? Time will mean nothing, and maybe this will be the greatest
> feature of heaven. So many heros.... so many great airplanes.... and all
> the time in the world for each of them. Everyday will be the Golden Age
> of
> Aviation.

Beautiful, Jim. Thanks for sharing it.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Jim Burns
August 17th 05, 04:43 PM
Oh, well, I forgot to mention...
by that time the last suite at the world renown Alexis Park Inn and Suites
will be finished. A little purple neon sign (shaped like a well known
Cherokee Pathfinder) will adorn a little cloud advertising the famous
resort, which has magically been relocated to the North 40 of OSH.

You and Mary will spend your afternoons basking in the sun while reclined in
Barcaloungers out near the edge of Rwy 9/27 watching the never ending
arrivals and departures of the worlds most historic and famous airplanes and
their captains.

In heaven, beer will have no effect on your piloting ability, so when your
famous guests arrive for an evening of great food, fine beer, and outrageous
lies, a quick flight or command performance by the offender will always be
expected.

"Jay Honeck" > wrote in message
> > I fear by the time that day comes that Dick and Burt will be there.
I'll
> > gladly stand in line for a few minutes of their time... after all, what
> > will
> > time mean? Time will mean nothing, and maybe this will be the greatest
> > feature of heaven. So many heros.... so many great airplanes.... and
all
> > the time in the world for each of them. Everyday will be the Golden Age
> > of
> > Aviation.
>
> Beautiful, Jim. Thanks for sharing it.
> --
> Jay Honeck
> Iowa City, IA
> Pathfinder N56993
> www.AlexisParkInn.com
> "Your Aviation Destination"

N93332
August 17th 05, 05:34 PM
"Jim Burns" > wrote in message
> Oh, well, I forgot to mention...
> by that time the last suite at the world renown Alexis Park Inn and Suites
> will be finished. A little purple neon sign (shaped like a well known
> Cherokee Pathfinder) will adorn a little cloud advertising the famous
> resort, which has magically been relocated to the North 40 of OSH.
>
> You and Mary will spend your afternoons basking in the sun while reclined
> in
> Barcaloungers out near the edge of Rwy 9/27 watching the never ending
> arrivals and departures of the worlds most historic and famous airplanes
> and
> their captains.
>
> In heaven, beer will have no effect on your piloting ability, so when your
> famous guests arrive for an evening of great food, fine beer, and
> outrageous
> lies, a quick flight or command performance by the offender will always be
> expected.

Found this:

I hope there's a place, way up in the sky,
Where pilots can go, when they have to die.
A place where a guy can buy a cold beer
For friend and a comrade, whose memory is dear.

A place where no doctor or lawyer can tread,
Nor a management type would ere be caught dead;
Just a quaint little place, full of good cheer,
Where they like to sing loud, and sip on a cold beer;
The kind of a place where a lady could go
And feel safe and protected, by the men she would know.

There must be a place where old pilots go,
When their paining is finished, and their airspeed gets low,
Where the whiskey is old, and the women are young,
And songs about flying and dying are sung,
Where you'd see all the fellows who'd flown West before,
And they'd call out your name, as you came through the door.
Who would buy you a drink, if your thirst should be bad,
And relate to the others, "He was quite a good lad!"

And then through the mist, you'd spot an old guy
You had not seen in years, though he taught you to fly.
He'd nod his old head, and grin ear to ear;
And say, "Welcome, my son, I'm pleased that you're here."

"For this is the place where true flyers come,
When their journey is over, and the war has been won."
"They've come here at last to be safe and alone
From the government clerks and the management clone."
"Politicians and lawyers, the Feds and the noise."
"Where all hours are happy, and these ole boys
Can relax with a cool one, and a well deserved rest."
"This is heaven, my son ... You've passed your last test!"

ShawnD2112
August 17th 05, 06:16 PM
Beautiful. That and what Jim wrote. Makes me glad I logged on tonight.
Some old friends and I have a grass-strip fly in this weekend, and it'll be
my last day in the syndicate as time and distance have made it uneconomical
to stay in the group. I think I'll take this along and recite it to the
assembled brethren (and sistren) after the flying day is done, the sun has
set, the loves of our lives have been tied down for the night, and a few
pints have passed the lips. I think they'll appreciate it.

Shawn
PS - God flies a Pitts, and, once again, so does Curtis. :-)

"N93332" > wrote in message
> "Jim Burns" > wrote in message
>> Oh, well, I forgot to mention...
>> by that time the last suite at the world renown Alexis Park Inn and
>> Suites
>> will be finished. A little purple neon sign (shaped like a well known
>> Cherokee Pathfinder) will adorn a little cloud advertising the famous
>> resort, which has magically been relocated to the North 40 of OSH.
>>
>> You and Mary will spend your afternoons basking in the sun while reclined
>> in
>> Barcaloungers out near the edge of Rwy 9/27 watching the never ending
>> arrivals and departures of the worlds most historic and famous airplanes
>> and
>> their captains.
>>
>> In heaven, beer will have no effect on your piloting ability, so when
>> your
>> famous guests arrive for an evening of great food, fine beer, and
>> outrageous
>> lies, a quick flight or command performance by the offender will always
>> be
>> expected.
>
> Found this:
>
> I hope there's a place, way up in the sky,
> Where pilots can go, when they have to die.
> A place where a guy can buy a cold beer
> For friend and a comrade, whose memory is dear.
>
> A place where no doctor or lawyer can tread,
> Nor a management type would ere be caught dead;
> Just a quaint little place, full of good cheer,
> Where they like to sing loud, and sip on a cold beer;
> The kind of a place where a lady could go
> And feel safe and protected, by the men she would know.
>
> There must be a place where old pilots go,
> When their paining is finished, and their airspeed gets low,
> Where the whiskey is old, and the women are young,
> And songs about flying and dying are sung,
> Where you'd see all the fellows who'd flown West before,
> And they'd call out your name, as you came through the door.
> Who would buy you a drink, if your thirst should be bad,
> And relate to the others, "He was quite a good lad!"
>
> And then through the mist, you'd spot an old guy
> You had not seen in years, though he taught you to fly.
> He'd nod his old head, and grin ear to ear;
> And say, "Welcome, my son, I'm pleased that you're here."
>
> "For this is the place where true flyers come,
> When their journey is over, and the war has been won."
> "They've come here at last to be safe and alone
> From the government clerks and the management clone."
> "Politicians and lawyers, the Feds and the noise."
> "Where all hours are happy, and these ole boys
> Can relax with a cool one, and a well deserved rest."
> "This is heaven, my son ... You've passed your last test!"

john smith
August 17th 05, 06:18 PM
When I get there, the first person I am going to seek out will be Amelia
Earhart and ask her what really happened.

Jay Beckman
August 17th 05, 06:36 PM
"Jim Burns" > wrote in message
>I read Bax's column again last night, again. It gives me the "flying is
> just soooo cool, and I'm truly blessed to be a pilot" feeling, just like
> R.B.'s J.L. Seagull does every time that I read it. It only added to my
> alignment with all other fanatical pilots like us who can't imagine that
> their flying desires will ever be satisfied.

Awesome Jim...just awesome.

Jay Beckman - PP-ASEL
Arizona Cloudbusters
Chandler, AZ

Sylvain
August 17th 05, 11:48 PM
john smith wrote:
> When I get there, the first person I am going to seek out will be Amelia
> Earhart and ask her what really happened.

might not be there yet (lost on the way)

:-)

--Sylvain

Jim Burns
August 18th 05, 02:17 AM
.... or she met up with Doug "Wrong Way" Corrigan... wonder what the two of
them did with Fred Noonan...
Jim

"Sylvain" > wrote in message
> john smith wrote:
> > When I get there, the first person I am going to seek out will be Amelia
> > Earhart and ask her what really happened.
>
> might not be there yet (lost on the way)
>
> :-)
>
> --Sylvain

jsmith
August 18th 05, 03:53 AM
I think he mentioned something about meeting them at the bar.

Jim Burns wrote:
> ... or she met up with Doug "Wrong Way" Corrigan... wonder what the two of
> them did with Fred Noonan...

>>john smith wrote
>>>When I get there, the first person I am going to seek out will be Amelia
>>>Earhart and ask her what really happened.

> "Sylvain" > wrote in message
>>might not be there yet (lost on the way)

Jim Burns
August 18th 05, 06:24 AM
Sushi bar no doubt. :)
Jim

"jsmith" > wrote in message
. ..
> I think he mentioned something about meeting them at the bar.
>
> Jim Burns wrote:
> > ... or she met up with Doug "Wrong Way" Corrigan... wonder what the two
of
> > them did with Fred Noonan...
>
> >>john smith wrote
Amelia

> > "Sylvain" > wrote in message
> >>might not be there yet (lost on the way)

Google