PDA

View Full Version : Adjustment driver for King VOR head

Robert M. Gary
August 21st 05, 11:38 PM
My #2 VOR is the older analog King head feed by a KX-170B. It likes to
get out of adjustment. The local radio shop has told me I should get
the screw driver and adjust it myself off the VOT. If you remove the
set screw that holds the knob on, there is an adjustment screw behind
it. However, the head on that screw is very, very strange and therefore
requires a special driver.

Does anyone know where I can find such a driver??

-Robert

RST Engineering
August 21st 05, 11:46 PM
As I recall, that is a regular (albeit very small) slot head screw. What it
is after twenty or thirty years of diddling with it is anybody's guess.

Jim

"Robert M. Gary" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> My #2 VOR is the older analog King head feed by a KX-170B. It likes to
> get out of adjustment. The local radio shop has told me I should get
> the screw driver and adjust it myself off the VOT. If you remove the
> set screw that holds the knob on, there is an adjustment screw behind
> it. However, the head on that screw is very, very strange and therefore
> requires a special driver.
>
> Does anyone know where I can find such a driver??
>
> -Robert

Mike Rapoport
August 22nd 05, 02:26 PM
Is it a spline driver? If it is, they are availible at www.mcmastercarr.com

Mike
MU-2
"Robert M. Gary" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> My #2 VOR is the older analog King head feed by a KX-170B. It likes to
> get out of adjustment. The local radio shop has told me I should get
> the screw driver and adjust it myself off the VOT. If you remove the
> set screw that holds the knob on, there is an adjustment screw behind
> it. However, the head on that screw is very, very strange and therefore
> requires a special driver.
>
> Does anyone know where I can find such a driver??
>
> -Robert

OtisWinslow
August 22nd 05, 03:08 PM
Just go to Sears and get a long necked thin blade one and file
the blade a little on the ends. Works great. Adjust it in the
air too all the way around a VOR station.

"Robert M. Gary" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> My #2 VOR is the older analog King head feed by a KX-170B. It likes to
> get out of adjustment. The local radio shop has told me I should get
> the screw driver and adjust it myself off the VOT. If you remove the
> set screw that holds the knob on, there is an adjustment screw behind
> it. However, the head on that screw is very, very strange and therefore
> requires a special driver.
>
> Does anyone know where I can find such a driver??
>
> -Robert

RST Engineering
August 22nd 05, 08:58 PM
I use a piece of 1/8 " brass brazing rod 6" long with one end filed down to
a screwdriver blade and shrink sleeving (for traction) on the other end.
Use it on both VOR/LOC alignment AND compass swinging. It has been in the
toolbox since the PSA days back in the mid-60s. It's about an inch shorter
than when I first made it due to "periodic calibration" of the tip.

Jim

"OtisWinslow" > wrote in message
.. .

> Just go to Sears and get a long necked thin blade one and file
> the blade a little on the ends. Works great. Adjust it in the
> air too all the way around a VOR station.

OtisWinslow
August 23rd 05, 08:09 PM
Good idea. I've done the brass rod trick for a compass .. didn't think to
use it for VOR too.

"RST Engineering" > wrote in message
>I use a piece of 1/8 " brass brazing rod 6" long with one end filed down to
>a screwdriver blade and shrink sleeving (for traction) on the other end.
>Use it on both VOR/LOC alignment AND compass swinging. It has been in the
>toolbox since the PSA days back in the mid-60s. It's about an inch shorter
>than when I first made it due to "periodic calibration" of the tip.
>
> Jim
>

> "OtisWinslow" > wrote in message
> .. .
>
>> Just go to Sears and get a long necked thin blade one and file
>> the blade a little on the ends. Works great. Adjust it in the
>> air too all the way around a VOR station.

Mike Rapoport
August 23rd 05, 09:34 PM
You guys are making me feel stupid for buying a brass screwdriver.

Mike
MU-2

"OtisWinslow" > wrote in message
. ..
> Good idea. I've done the brass rod trick for a compass .. didn't think to
> use it for VOR too.
>

> "RST Engineering" > wrote in message
>>I use a piece of 1/8 " brass brazing rod 6" long with one end filed down
>>to a screwdriver blade and shrink sleeving (for traction) on the other
>>end. Use it on both VOR/LOC alignment AND compass swinging. It has been
>>in the toolbox since the PSA days back in the mid-60s. It's about an inch
>>shorter than when I first made it due to "periodic calibration" of the
>>tip.
>>
>> Jim
>>

>> "OtisWinslow" > wrote in message
>> .. .
>>
>>> Just go to Sears and get a long necked thin blade one and file
>>> the blade a little on the ends. Works great. Adjust it in the
>>> air too all the way around a VOR station.

George Patterson
August 23rd 05, 09:46 PM
Mike Rapoport wrote:
> You guys are making me feel stupid for buying a brass screwdriver.

Well, don't feel that way. Just because *their* time isn't worth anything
doesn't mean that yours isn't either.

George Patterson

Gig 601XL Builder
August 23rd 05, 09:51 PM
What's your take on all this "Ground the MU-2" crap coming out of the
Colorado congress criters?

Steven P. McNicoll
August 23rd 05, 09:57 PM
"Gig 601XL Builder" <wr.giacona@coxDOTnet> wrote in message

> What's your take on all this "Ground the MU-2" crap coming out of the
> Colorado congress criters?

What are the Colorado congress critters saying about the MU-2?

Mike Rapoport
August 24th 05, 12:01 AM
"Gig 601XL Builder" <wr.giacona@coxDOTnet> wrote in message
> What's your take on all this "Ground the MU-2" crap coming out of the
> Colorado congress criters?

It is being driven by a lawyer in Texas that has sued Mitsubishi numerous
times in the past. He got the family of someone killed in one of the CO
crashes to get the CO congressmen to write the letters to the FAA. All this
is setting up for a lawsuit. This also puts the FAA in a difficult
position. The airplane has been flying 38yrs, made millions of flights,
meets the certification requirements and doesn't have the worst accident
record in its class, however the FAA obviously cannot ignore Congress. I
predict that the end result will be a type rating requirement on the MU-2
which is something that Mitsubishi has been pushing for a long time.
Basically every pilot would be required to take an ATP flight test in the
airplane before being allowed to be PIC just like a jet. I don't have the
data, but apparantly there is a huge difference in accident rates between
those who have regular recurrent simiulator training and those who do not.

Mike
MU-2

Mike Rapoport
August 24th 05, 01:06 AM
They are saying that it is unsafe. The whole thing is being driven by a
lawyer who is going to represent the family of one of fatal crashes in CO.

It is sometimes pathetic how our system works. Lawyers try to create lots
of smoke so that they can convince the jury that there was a fire and by the
time a proper investigation is done the lawsuit is already decided. A
perfect example was the breast implant case wherein a gigantic award was
made before an unbiased government study found that they were safe. It is
the same in aviation where the best information (NTSB reports) are not
permitted into evidence.

Mike
MU-2

"Steven P. McNicoll" > wrote in message
k.net...

> "Gig 601XL Builder" <wr.giacona@coxDOTnet> wrote in message
>>
>> What's your take on all this "Ground the MU-2" crap coming out of the
>> Colorado congress criters?
>
> What are the Colorado congress critters saying about the MU-2?

Scott D
August 24th 05, 06:34 AM
On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 23:01:19 GMT, "Mike Rapoport"
> wrote:

>"Gig 601XL Builder" <wr.giacona@coxDOTnet> wrote in message
>> What's your take on all this "Ground the MU-2" crap coming out of the
>> Colorado congress criters?
>>
>It is being driven by a lawyer in Texas that has sued Mitsubishi numerous
>times in the past. He got the family of someone killed in one of the CO
>crashes to get the CO congressmen to write the letters to the FAA. All this
>is setting up for a lawsuit.

I was thinking of you Mike the other day when I heard about this smoke
and mirror thing about the MU-2 on the radio. I live between COS and
APA and I can say that the weather when this last crash happened about
2 weeks ago was poor. Very low ceilings and convective activity was
in the area.when the crash occurred. I believe they found the crash
about 2 miles away from the approach end. This does have an earmark
as pilot error from hearing the scuttlebutt around the airport, but we
shall see what the NTSB has to say.

I haven't heard which client this lawyer is representing but from the
descriptions that I have heard pertaining to both accidents, I don't
believe that either had anything in common with each other. The other
crash happened in December and if I recall correctly, he lost an
engine just after takeoff and didn't make it back to the field.

Scott D.

Google