PDA

View Full Version : Last Bax Seat

Doug Vetter
August 23rd 05, 02:02 AM
My Flying subscription ran out years ago for all the usual reasons. As
I watched the subscription offers that littered my mailbox drop from
$20, then to $15, and finally $10 a year, I just couldn't stand it
anymore. I had to give Flying another try. I mean, for $10, how could
I lose?

My subscription started (or shall I say, restarted) two months ago, and
while I found most of the magazine about what I'd come to expect from
Flying in recent years (which is to say, mostly a commercial endeavor
with little heart and soul save for Lane), this month's copy was a
pleasant surprise for one reason: they published a very special Bax column.

When I first pulled the magazine from the mailbox and saw the words "The
Last Bax Seat" on the cover, I sadly figured Dick and Mac decided to
cash in on our hero's recent passing and republish his last column
(which I never did get a chance to read). Imagine my surprise, however,
when I fanned through it to find that the article they chose to run was
actually an unpublished work he wrote many years ago while still
answering to the Flying editors. They chose not to publish it because
they thought it was the best obituary he could write for himself.

And they weren't kidding. I have to say that this article is perhaps
the most moving of all of Bax's columns I recall. I laughed out loud at
several of the passages, written with a style uniquely Bax, and even
choked up a bit as I reminded myself that we'll see no more great words
from this great man.

I was 17 when I started flying and my mother (God bless her) subscribed
me to Flying as a birthday gift. I remember the anticipation of
flipping to the back of the magazine to read Bax's works first. I felt
the same anticipation for the first time in almost 15 years as I
absorbed every word of this masterpiece, and for a few moments, I felt
15 years younger. (Thanks Bax!)

If you're a fan of Bax, you need to read this article. 'Nuff said.

-Doug

--
--------------------
Doug Vetter, CFIMEIA

http://www.dvcfi.com
--------------------

john smith
August 23rd 05, 02:32 AM
Hey Doug (snicker!), where were you last week when we discussed this?
You missed a great followup post by Jim Burns.
Google may find it.

houstondan
August 23rd 05, 03:02 AM
well, doug...i missed it to but thanks for your post since it made me

thanks for the post...wonderful piece... "..wicker basket of
marshmallows riding a feather matress." sigh

dan

Mike Adams
August 23rd 05, 03:33 AM
Doug Vetter > wrote:

> If you're a fan of Bax, you need to read this article. 'Nuff said.

I guess I too missed the earlier thread, but I agree, it was a great article. I also thought the sidebar was
interesting that described how the editors recognized its value and saved it for the special occasion. 16
years of corporate memory is a long time these days. Just a few weeks ago I reread his book "How to
Fly". It's a little dated on new airspace stuff, but what a great writing style, and huge amount of
information in a very easy reading book. I think I read it in two sittings.

Yes, we will all miss his writing.

Mike

Doug Vetter
August 23rd 05, 01:18 PM
john smith wrote:
> Hey Doug (snicker!), where were you last week when we discussed this?
> You missed a great followup post by Jim Burns.
> Google may find it.

I've actually been reading regularly for the last couple weeks -- I
recall the thread about his passing in June, but hadn't seen any
reference to this article. No biggie...an article that good deserves a
few extra mentions. :-)

Thanks for the tip about Jim's post...I'll look for it.

-Doug

--
--------------------
Doug Vetter, CFIMEIA

http://www.dvcfi.com

john smith
August 23rd 05, 01:21 PM
Doug Vetter wrote:
> Thanks for the tip about Jim's post...I'll look for it.

Look it up under, "What does God fly?"

Flyingmonk
August 23rd 05, 01:34 PM
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.aviation.piloting/browse_frm/thread/f4e45889a28e4185/e105784d1132a484?lnk=st&q=What+does+God+fly&rnum=1#e105784d1132a484