PDA

View Full Version : Headset tester

M.
December 22nd 04, 09:23 AM
Hi all

Does anyone have a copy of a circuit diagram to construct a headset tester?
I'd like to construct one to test the headsets students are returning
claiming them to be faulty, which after I've headed out to the flight line
and plugged in, surprise surprise, there is no apparent fault.

Any help

Cheers Mike

Stealth Pilot
December 22nd 04, 01:02 PM
On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 22:23:14 +1300, "M." >
wrote:

>Hi all
>
>Does anyone have a copy of a circuit diagram to construct a headset tester?
>I'd like to construct one to test the headsets students are returning
>claiming them to be faulty, which after I've headed out to the flight line
>and plugged in, surprise surprise, there is no apparent fault.
>
>Any help
>
>Cheers Mike

broken wire in the lead or just at the plug connection.
had one for months that would fail at the wrong moments.
replaced the mike and worked for a month.
nearly destroyed the set in the dismantle until the fault was located
hidden in a moulded plug fitting.
next time you head out give all the wires a pull to try open
circuiting any failing wire.

its guaranteed to drive you nuts :-)
Stealth Pilot

Bushy
December 22nd 04, 01:35 PM
And very common!

Intermittent faults will often show up with a check for "full and free
movement" in all the connections. Just like when you check the controls
pre-flight, you can be gentle but exercise full movement range when checking
them.

You can use just about any old aircraft or CB radio to test the headphone
with an adaptor or two. Even a cheapshop $5.00 FM radio will give an audio
output and can check the ears. The mike circuit could be checked with a
cheap walky talky with a couple of connecting leads to adapt the plugs, or
you could pick up a cheap handheld for the office. Several flight schools
down under have a radio in the "waiting lounge" and this helps your students
to pick up typical radio chatter. Also lets you know what your students are
up to! A tape recorder next to it can catch their circuit chatter and can
offer an additional training aid.

Hope this helps,
Peter

John_F
December 23rd 04, 04:54 AM
The easiest cheapest tester is an old portable intercom. If you can
hear your self both the mic and the earphones are working.

wrote:

>Hi all
>
>Does anyone have a copy of a circuit diagram to construct a headset tester?
>I'd like to construct one to test the headsets students are returning
>claiming them to be faulty, which after I've headed out to the flight line
>and plugged in, surprise surprise, there is no apparent fault.
>
>Any help
>
>Cheers Mike

RST Engineering
December 24th 04, 04:50 PM
I wrote about such a design in Kitplanes within the last three years or so.
If you are really interested, I can dig down into the archives and see what
month and year.

Basically, you bias the mic on and use the volt or so of audio through a
capacitor to run the earphones. If you can hear yourself talk, the headset
is working. No amplifier or intercom required.

Jim

"M." > wrote in message
> Hi all
>
> Does anyone have a copy of a circuit diagram to construct a headset
> tester?
> I'd like to construct one to test the headsets students are returning
> claiming them to be faulty, which after I've headed out to the flight line
> and plugged in, surprise surprise, there is no apparent fault.
>
> Any help
>
> Cheers Mike

Morgans
December 24th 04, 08:52 PM
"RST Engineering" > wrote in message
> I wrote about such a design in Kitplanes within the last three years or
so.
> If you are really interested, I can dig down into the archives and see
what
> month and year.
>
> Basically, you bias the mic on and use the volt or so of audio through a
> capacitor to run the earphones. If you can hear yourself talk, the
headset
> is working. No amplifier or intercom required.

Jim

Hey, I might be interested in that, for another project.
--
Jim in NC

Google