PDA

View Full Version : Ebay for new headsets??

Charles Talleyrand
August 24th 05, 11:43 PM
I'm a Cessna 150 driver looking for a reasonably cheap ANR headset,
since my last one quit on approach at a controlled field :-( Where
should I buy such a thing? Has anyone tried E-bay, or am I stuck with
Sportys? Any advice at all?

-Thanks
-Charles Talleyrand

john smith
August 25th 05, 12:16 AM
Charles Talleyrand wrote:
> I'm a Cessna 150 driver looking for a reasonably cheap ANR headset,
> since my last one quit on approach at a controlled field :-( Where
> should I buy such a thing? Has anyone tried E-bay, or am I stuck with
> Sportys? Any advice at all?

Don't buy cheap. Buy quality, buy once.

George Patterson
August 25th 05, 03:25 AM
Charles Talleyrand wrote:
> I'm a Cessna 150 driver looking for a reasonably cheap ANR headset,
> since my last one quit on approach at a controlled field :-( Where
> should I buy such a thing? Has anyone tried E-bay, or am I stuck with
> Sportys? Any advice at all?

Figure out what sets you are willing to buy and how much you are willing to pay
for a used set. Ebay is a fine place to pick up bargains if you know what you
want and what you're willing to pay for it. Don't bid on some brand you've never
heard of just 'cause you can get it cheap.

If you decide to buy new, look at the ads in Trade-A-Plane and call to get the
actual prices. Many companies sell headsets for less than their advertised price.

George Patterson

W P Dixon
August 25th 05, 03:53 AM
I got my headset from ebay and am tickled with it! An AVCOM Model 200 for 40
bucks. Was barely even used. Fellow had bought them for passengers and just
rarely used them. They may not be top of the line but for my purposes they
do a great job! So by all means shop on ebay , you may get lucky and find
exxactly what you want. And like George says , I would stay away from the
brands I had never heard of as well.

Patrick
student SPL
aircraft structural mech

"George Patterson" > wrote in message

> Figure out what sets you are willing to buy and how much you are willing
> to pay for a used set. Ebay is a fine place to pick up bargains if you
> know what you want and what you're willing to pay for it. Don't bid on
> some brand you've never heard of just 'cause you can get it cheap.
>
> If you decide to buy new, look at the ads in Trade-A-Plane and call to get
> the actual prices. Many companies sell headsets for less than their
> advertised price.
>
> George Patterson
> Give a person a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a person to
> use the Internet and he won't bother you for weeks.

Juan Jimenez
August 25th 05, 05:25 AM
Get a nice regular headset and buy the headset's inc ANR upgrade. takes an
hour to install and works great.

"Charles Talleyrand" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> I'm a Cessna 150 driver looking for a reasonably cheap ANR headset,
> since my last one quit on approach at a controlled field :-( Where
> should I buy such a thing? Has anyone tried E-bay, or am I stuck with
> Sportys? Any advice at all?
>
> -Thanks
> -Charles Talleyrand

Ron Garret
August 25th 05, 06:39 AM
In article >,
john smith > wrote:

> Charles Talleyrand wrote:
> > I'm a Cessna 150 driver looking for a reasonably cheap ANR headset,
> > since my last one quit on approach at a controlled field :-( Where
> > should I buy such a thing? Has anyone tried E-bay, or am I stuck with
> > Sportys? Any advice at all?
>
> Don't buy cheap. Buy quality, buy once.

Buy Peltor.

I bought my Peltor headset nine years ago and although now I could
easily afford to buy myself any headset on the market (including the
Bose X) I don't bother because my Peltor still works just fine. I wore
it for four hours just the other day with a fancy Clarity Aloft headset
(for my wife when she's along) sitting in my flight bag. My Peltor is
so comfortable it wasn't even worth the bother to dig the fancy set out
of the bag.

rg

Peter Duniho
August 25th 05, 07:43 AM
"Ron Garret" > wrote in message
>> Don't buy cheap. Buy quality, buy once.
>
> Buy Peltor.

I can second this recommendation for passive headsets. However, like the
person who started a different headset-related thread, my experience with
their ANR headsets has not been stellar.

The passive headsets are extremely comfortable, have very good noise
attenuation, and fold up nice and small. For passive, it's hard for me to
imagine something that could be better.

Pete

Thomas Borchert
August 25th 05, 01:09 PM
Charles,

> I'm a Cessna 150 driver looking for a reasonably cheap ANR headset,

By a pilot-shop-branded derivative of the LightSPEED QFR XCc, as
available at avshop.com, Gulfcoast Avionics and others. At about 250 $,
that's your best bet, really.

You won't get the best ANR, however, and my personal opinion is that it
is not smart to cut corner in buying headsets. It's easily the most
important piece of pilot equipment. So, get a decent ANR headset, e.g.
the Lightspeed 20XLc. Why the bias on Lightspeed? They simply offer the
best value.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

August 25th 05, 02:27 PM
In rec.aviation.owning Thomas Borchert > wrote:

: By a pilot-shop-branded derivative of the LightSPEED QFR XCc, as
: available at avshop.com, Gulfcoast Avionics and others. At about 250 $,
: that's your best bet, really.

: You won't get the best ANR, however, and my personal opinion is that it
: is not smart to cut corner in buying headsets. It's easily the most
: important piece of pilot equipment. So, get a decent ANR headset, e.g.
: the Lightspeed 20XLc. Why the bias on Lightspeed? They simply offer the
: best value.

My experience has been that the Lightspeed XC is a "better" headset than the 15/20/25's. The reason? MUCH
better passive. The "higher-end" Lightspeeds have a definate wow-factor with the ANR, but it's at the expense of
higher frequencies. I found some data on the 'net that these have some spillover in the 1-2kHz range, so they
actually *amplify* the noise in those frequencies. Of course that's after the passives, but still.... and I'm
particularly sensitive to those frequencies. I much prefer the excellant passive and moderate active (in the low
frequencies) on the X-Country.

-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss *

George Patterson
August 25th 05, 03:58 PM
Ron Garret wrote:

> Buy Peltor.

Before you do that, you might want to read the thread started by the guy who
just got an estimate of $700+ for repairs on his.

George Patterson

Thomas Borchert
August 25th 05, 04:00 PM
> I much prefer the excellant passive and moderate active (in the low
> frequencies) on the X-Country.

I know what you mean. It's a personal thing.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Ron Garret
August 25th 05, 05:20 PM
In article <60lPe.4048$IG2.1612@trndny01>,
George Patterson > wrote:

> Ron Garret wrote:
> >
> > Buy Peltor.
>
> Before you do that, you might want to read the thread started by the guy who
> just got an estimate of $700+ for repairs on his.

I should have been more explicit: buy Peltor non-ANR.

rg

john smith
August 25th 05, 06:07 PM
Here is another thought...

I wear DC 10-40, a friend wears Lightspeed 20-something.
When instrument flying, I can hear the identifier through the background
noise while my friend cannot. Why? Better headset? Better hearing? Both?

Jonathan Sorger
August 25th 05, 07:56 PM
While I am happy with my DC ANR's, having recently had to pay $67 for a
repair on an older (beyond 5 year warranty passives) (I bought after
hearing about legendary customer service) set, I will probably go with
Litespeed for my next purchase.

Sorry, had to rant.

In > john smith wrote:
> Here is another thought...
>
> I wear DC 10-40, a friend wears Lightspeed 20-something.
> When instrument flying, I can hear the identifier through the
> background noise while my friend cannot. Why? Better headset? Better
> hearing? Both?

Ronald Gardner
August 26th 05, 12:25 AM
I got a great deal on ebay a few years back. Still using them today.
First, know your headsets and their prices new and value used. Then watch
what's available, set the price you would pay (sight unseen) and don't get
in a bidding war. If on broad band wait till the last 10 or 15 seconds to
confirm the bid. Use refresh several times in the last few minute to
learn the time your system take too access and reload. Put one bid in
just before this time hack and wait. If you get the deal fine. If not
move to the next opportunity. I use this and win about 85% of the time.
My set saved me $200 bucks. Good luck

Ron Gardner

Charles Talleyrand wrote:

> I'm a Cessna 150 driver looking for a reasonably cheap ANR headset,
> since my last one quit on approach at a controlled field :-( Where
> should I buy such a thing? Has anyone tried E-bay, or am I stuck with
> Sportys? Any advice at all?
>
> -Thanks
> -Charles Talleyrand

George Patterson
August 26th 05, 03:39 AM
Ronald Gardner wrote:

> Put one bid in just before this time hack and wait.

When you do this, make that bid the maximum amount you are willing to pay. Ebay
has this concept of "proxie bidding" and they will actually bid only the amount
it takes to win the item. This means that the high bid you see may be much less
than what the high bidder actually bid. If that's the case and you bid, say, $5
more than the high bid, all you will do is run the bidding up; Ebay will
automatically increase his bid by $6. If you tell Ebay that you're willing to
pay up to $150 for the item and the most anyone else is willing to pay is $45,
you'll get the bid for $46.

So. Why not just make that bid now? Why wait until the last half minute? Well,
there *are* people out there who will bid things up in $5 increments, just like
a real auction. If you bid early, they have time to outbid you (and you can see
them making bid after bid until they do). Wait until the last half-minute, and
they don't even know you're there until the auction's over.

George Patterson

August 26th 05, 04:49 AM
: I wear DC 10-40, a friend wears Lightspeed 20-something.
: When instrument flying, I can hear the identifier through the background
: noise while my friend cannot. Why? Better headset? Better hearing? Both?

That has also been my experience with the Lightspeed [12][05]'s. My theory is that the 1-2kHz regions where
they're particularly bad at noise reduction is also the most important one for speech intelligibility. The ident on
navaids is 1kHz, too. Basically, I've found that the volume (intercom/radio) for them needs to be so low to not be
painful, that even though they cut out lots of apparent engine noise, it's still very difficult to understand
radios/intercom.

I've also got a friend with an experimental sea-plane with a Rotax 912S in it. I think that cruise RPM is
about 4000-4500, so it really has lots of high frequency. He and I took my Lightspeed XC's up and compared them with
his 25XLs. The 25XLs were basically unintelligible (and painful to me)... the next day he ordered two XC2's (newer
model). To each their own, though.

-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss *

August 26th 05, 06:05 AM
Yeah. It's called "sniping." A somewhat controversial method but I do
it and have won every auction I bid on.

Thomas Borchert
August 26th 05, 10:18 AM
Ron,

> buy Peltor non-ANR.

Going back to the stone age? Why?

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Kevin Kubiak
August 26th 05, 02:52 PM
I purchased a brand new Lightspeed 30-3G headset at OSH.
Used it for 4 hrs on one cross country trip and had to return it to Lightspeed
(at my expense) for repair. The ANR just quit working, the next time I wanted to
use them (yes the batteries were fresh). They repaired the ANR and turned it
around quick enough (received back 2 business days after they received it) at no
charge. It still bugs me that I had to pay to ship them back. While my DC
passive headset was still fine and survived all my PP training abuse.

So..... Just had to rant as well.

Kevin Kubiak - PP-ASEL

Jonathan Sorger wrote:
> While I am happy with my DC ANR's, having recently had to pay $67 for a
> repair on an older (beyond 5 year warranty passives) (I bought after
> hearing about legendary customer service) set, I will probably go with
> Litespeed for my next purchase.
>
> Sorry, had to rant.
>

> In > john smith wrote:
>
>>Here is another thought...
>>
>>I wear DC 10-40, a friend wears Lightspeed 20-something.
>>When instrument flying, I can hear the identifier through the
>>background noise while my friend cannot. Why? Better headset? Better
>>hearing? Both?

Oracle
August 26th 05, 06:17 PM
On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 22:05:41 -0700, skymackey wrote:

> Yeah. It's called "sniping." A somewhat controversial method but I do
> it and have won every auction I bid on.

http://www.jbidwatcher.com/
"A Java-based application allowing you to monitor auctions you're not part
of, submit bids, snipe (bid at the last moment), and otherwise track your
auction-site experience. It includes adult-auction management, MANY
currencies (yen, pound, dollar (US, Canada, Australian, and New
Taiwanese), Swiss Francs, and euro, presently), drag-and-drop of auction
URLs, a unique and powerful 'multisniping' feature, a relatively nice UI,
and is known to work cleanly under Linux, Windows, Solaris, and MacOSX
from the same binary." -jbidwatcher homepage

Basically, this software will take care of the "snipping" for you...plus
give you a bunch of great information if you ebay much. I have barely
used this software before, but it seemed to work great for me. Enjoy!

Greg

Jackal24
August 27th 05, 01:17 AM
"Charles Talleyrand" > wrote in
oups.com:

> I'm a Cessna 150 driver looking for a reasonably cheap ANR headset,
> since my last one quit on approach at a controlled field :-( Where
> should I buy such a thing? Has anyone tried E-bay, or am I stuck with
> Sportys? Any advice at all?
>
> -Thanks
> -Charles Talleyrand

Buy a refurbished headset from Lightspeed at www.anrheadsets.com. Full
warranty and their service is great. I love my 25xl.

Google