PDA

View Full Version : Electronic design considerations

CD
August 25th 05, 12:59 PM
Hello,

I'm curious about avionics circuits in high altitude conditions
(60,000ft+). What kind of design considerations are taken into account?

I've heard about radiation effects on certain devices especially
computers / microcontrollers, but I'm also curious about other
factors.

Thanks!

CD

COLIN LAMB
August 25th 05, 01:59 PM
Since electronics do not know much about elevation, there are two major
changes - temperature and pressure. The largest change would be a change in
temperature. Unless electronics are heated, there could be a major problem
for displays. Also, batteries may not work as well. Pressure change should
not be much of a problem.

When it comes to radiation, the question is how long the electronics are
going to be up there? Unless it is a very long time, I doubt the radiation
will be a major factor.

Colin

Yankee Bravo
August 25th 05, 08:52 PM
> Since electronics do not know much about elevation, there are two major
> changes - temperature and pressure. The largest change would be a change
in
> temperature. Unless electronics are heated, there could be a major
problem
> for displays. Also, batteries may not work as well. Pressure change
should
> not be much of a problem.
>
> When it comes to radiation, the question is how long the electronics are
> going to be up there? Unless it is a very long time, I doubt the
radiation
> will be a major factor.

Actually it might be a factor. NASA research aircraft have had several
single event upsets in semiconductor based memories at > 40,000 feet on
missions lasting even just a few hours. Avionics containing microprocessors
and memory were not affected but the desktop grade PCs strapped in equipment
racks would crap out with a memory parity error or something once every few
days. They believed it was radiation induced. The same computers worked
fine on the ground. The Kuiper Airborne Observatory (a C-141 A model) is
one example where this happened.

Google