PDA

View Full Version : BD-4 Landing Gear Rubbers

smjmitchell
December 27th 04, 09:34 AM
I have what I hope is a simple question on the BD-4 landing gear.

On my BD-4 plans the rudder donuts that are called out for the main and nose
gears are identified as a Lord Mount (J-11968-5). There is three of these
required for each aircraft, one for each leg.

My question is can you still buy these (my search of the catalogs on Lords
web site turned up nothing). Have Lord changed the part number ???? Is
there a commonly used substitute part, even if from a different manufacturer
such as Barry.

Does anyone know anything about the specifications of the donuts ? What
rubber hardness, what stiffness (lb/in) etc.

Juan Jimenez
December 27th 04, 05:26 PM
You should be able to special order these from Aircraft Spruce.

"smjmitchell" > wrote in message
>I have what I hope is a simple question on the BD-4 landing gear.
>
> On my BD-4 plans the rudder donuts that are called out for the main and
> nose
> gears are identified as a Lord Mount (J-11968-5). There is three of these
> required for each aircraft, one for each leg.
>
> My question is can you still buy these (my search of the catalogs on Lords
> web site turned up nothing). Have Lord changed the part number ???? Is
> there a commonly used substitute part, even if from a different
> manufacturer
> such as Barry.
>
> Does anyone know anything about the specifications of the donuts ? What
> rubber hardness, what stiffness (lb/in) etc.

AllThumbs
December 28th 04, 04:30 AM
I believe the majority of BD-4 builders have gone to a solid aluminum
link, because the rubber biscuits provided too much bounce. May I
suggest www.bd-4.org? There is a mail archive there you can search,
and an active mailing list of current BD flyers and builders. I'm
planning on the solid link, if I can find someone to make them for me.
All Thumbs

Bryan
December 28th 04, 02:02 PM
I am also planning on the solid link for the main gear. I believe that you
will still need some kind of donut for the nose gear as this also uses a
shock absorber. I am looking very strong at building with a tailwheel. I
know another BD builder that is a very good machinist and we may be able to
get him to make the links for the main gear for us all (he needs them too).
We should get together and see how many will be needed for all of us as it
should be easier to make several at one time than one at a time.

Bryan (soon to be BD-4 with rotary 13B)

"AllThumbs" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> I believe the majority of BD-4 builders have gone to a solid aluminum
> link, because the rubber biscuits provided too much bounce. May I
> suggest www.bd-4.org? There is a mail archive there you can search,
> and an active mailing list of current BD flyers and builders. I'm
> planning on the solid link, if I can find someone to make them for me.
> All Thumbs

---

Google