PDA

View Full Version : Prescription Lenses (sorta OT)

John
December 27th 04, 02:15 PM
RST Engineering wrote:

> like glasses -- simple myopia without any astigmatism?
>
> Anybody?
>
> Jim

Laser sugery worked great for me <vbg>
John

RST Engineering
December 27th 04, 06:25 PM
My medical requires me to wear lenses which correct for distant vision.
There, that makes this post on-topic.

I've been wearing contacts for over 30 years, same prescription every time,
hasn't changed in all that time. I also carry a set of regular glasses in
my ditty bag on the off chance some day I'll tear a lens while on the road
and have to use the glasses.

As you can imagine, after 30 years of fighting it out with the toothpaste
and razor, tumbling about as the airplane moves smartly through turbulence,
those glasses are scratched and pretty snotty looking.

I still have the original prescription for those backup glasses from 30
years ago, and the glasses still give me better than 20/20, but I don't see
paying my eye doctor's Hawaiian vacation this year with the ridiculous price
for what in essence is about a dollar's worth of plastic. I don't mind
seeing him once every other year and getting all the tests for corneal
scratching, ulceration, and whatever that puff of air tests for.

I guess the short question is whether anybody has found an offshore eyeglass
supplier? I mean if I can buy v!@#r@ and c1@l!$ offshore without a
prescription, why can't I find an offshore supplier for a simple thing like
glasses -- simple myopia without any astigmatism?

Anybody?

Jim

Frankster
December 27th 04, 06:34 PM
Why not just have new lenses from your old prescription put into the same
frames. That should be relatively inexpensive, right?

As far as offshore... I would think the aggravation would be worse than the
cost difference for the above.

As for v!@#r@ and c1@l!$ offshore... you DO need a prescription for those
too, but it is granted on-line, based on a documented on-line
questionnaire... or so the explanation goes anyway.

-Frank

"RST Engineering" > wrote in message
> My medical requires me to wear lenses which correct for distant vision.
> There, that makes this post on-topic.
>
> I've been wearing contacts for over 30 years, same prescription every
> time, hasn't changed in all that time. I also carry a set of regular
> glasses in my ditty bag on the off chance some day I'll tear a lens while
> on the road and have to use the glasses.
>
> As you can imagine, after 30 years of fighting it out with the toothpaste
> and razor, tumbling about as the airplane moves smartly through
> turbulence, those glasses are scratched and pretty snotty looking.
>
> I still have the original prescription for those backup glasses from 30
> years ago, and the glasses still give me better than 20/20, but I don't
> see paying my eye doctor's Hawaiian vacation this year with the ridiculous
> price for what in essence is about a dollar's worth of plastic. I don't
> mind seeing him once every other year and getting all the tests for
> corneal scratching, ulceration, and whatever that puff of air tests for.
>
> I guess the short question is whether anybody has found an offshore
> eyeglass supplier? I mean if I can buy v!@#r@ and c1@l!$ offshore without
> a prescription, why can't I find an offshore supplier for a simple thing
> like glasses -- simple myopia without any astigmatism?
>
> Anybody?
>
> Jim

Denny
December 27th 04, 06:51 PM
Yeah (partial answer because I can't remember the guys name, duh), I
sent my prescription to a fella out west who made my shooting
glasses... I will try and do a quick google on IDPA and other shooting
topics to see if I can find him again (haven't needed him since the
original set 10+ years ago)... He made me two pair of glasses, one for
shooting IDPA (hand gun at arms length) and one for flying... The
handgun set is a sweety because it is bifocal with the lens for seeing
the gunsight at arms length on the top so I don't have to tip my head
back, and the far vision on the lower so all I have to do is look
straight ahead to acquire the target initially then tip my head forward
slightly to sharpen up the sights...

Anyway, the chain store outfits, DOC, etc., should be able to grind you
a new pair from the existing prescription... If they give you guff
about 'the law' requiring a fresh Rx, etc., challenge them to show you
the law - and remind them that your money will deposit in the bank just
the same... If you have problems email me ...
Also, go Borders and leaf through the handgun magazines while you have
a cuppa joe, and there should be ads for shooting glasses...

Denny

Gig Giacona
December 27th 04, 07:08 PM
"RST Engineering" > wrote in message
> My medical requires me to wear lenses which correct for distant vision.
> There, that makes this post on-topic.
>
> I've been wearing contacts for over 30 years, same prescription every
> time, hasn't changed in all that time. I also carry a set of regular
> glasses in my ditty bag on the off chance some day I'll tear a lens while
> on the road and have to use the glasses.
>
> As you can imagine, after 30 years of fighting it out with the toothpaste
> and razor, tumbling about as the airplane moves smartly through
> turbulence, those glasses are scratched and pretty snotty looking.
>
> I still have the original prescription for those backup glasses from 30
> years ago, and the glasses still give me better than 20/20, but I don't
> see paying my eye doctor's Hawaiian vacation this year with the ridiculous
> price for what in essence is about a dollar's worth of plastic. I don't
> mind seeing him once every other year and getting all the tests for
> corneal scratching, ulceration, and whatever that puff of air tests for.
>
> I guess the short question is whether anybody has found an offshore
> eyeglass supplier? I mean if I can buy v!@#r@ and c1@l!$ offshore without
> a prescription, why can't I find an offshore supplier for a simple thing
> like glasses -- simple myopia without any astigmatism?
>
> Anybody?
>
> Jim

Is your contact subscription current? If so ask your Dr for a copy and go to
Wal-Mart and get a set of glasses. The same script will work for both.

Denny
December 27th 04, 07:09 PM
http://www.shooting-glasses-guide.com/recommended-glasses.htm

Try this Jim (not the same as I used in the past, but the ICE system
looks useable...

Jack Allison
December 27th 04, 07:10 PM
Jim - Not offshore...but I've had good luck and fairly reasonable prices
with the optical department at Wal-Mart. Granted, I don't have the 30
yr. old prescription...but I go to my eye doc. once a year, pay the $25
exam deductible, ask for a written prescription, then head to Wal-Mart
where the lens and frame selection is just as good as his office but way
cheaper.

Good luck.

--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL, IA Student, airplane partnership student

you will always long to return"
- Leonardo Da Vinci

Blanche
December 27th 04, 09:01 PM
Depending on the state (each state is different) you may be able
to take the current glasses (lens and frame) into one of the
big-box or quick-make (I will not mention the names) and they
can make determine the Rx from the lens and make new ones right
there.

David Lamphere
December 27th 04, 09:15 PM
Jim,

I was able to take my scratched glasses to Wal-Mart and using the lenses the
people on duty measured, and made me new lenses!
It was a very reasonable price and was done in less than a week.

Dave in Virginia

"RST Engineering" > wrote in message
..... about replacing scratched glasses...

Ron Natalie
December 27th 04, 10:30 PM
RST Engineering wrote:

> I guess the short question is whether anybody has found an offshore eyeglass
> supplier? I mean if I can buy v!@#r@ and c1@l!$ offshore without a
> prescription, why can't I find an offshore supplier for a simple thing like
> glasses -- simple myopia without any astigmatism?

You don't need to go off-shore, and you don't need to go to some
rip-off optician associated with your doctor. Plenty of cheap
glasses places including those in places like Sam's Club and
Costco.

No eye doctor worth going to will refuse to give you the presciption
to go elsewhere for the glasses.

G.R. Patterson III
December 28th 04, 01:45 AM
RST Engineering wrote:

> As you can imagine, after 30 years of fighting it out with the toothpaste
> and razor, tumbling about as the airplane moves smartly through turbulence,
> those glasses are scratched and pretty snotty looking.

If the lenses are plastic, the scratches can be polished out by any optical
house. Cheaper than new lenses.

George Patterson
The desire for safety stands against every great and noble enterprise.

RobertR237
December 28th 04, 02:58 AM

>My medical requires me to wear lenses which correct for distant vision.
>There, that makes this post on-topic.
>
>I've been wearing contacts for over 30 years, same prescription every time,
>hasn't changed in all that time. I also carry a set of regular glasses in
>my ditty bag on the off chance some day I'll tear a lens while on the road
>and have to use the glasses.
>
>As you can imagine, after 30 years of fighting it out with the toothpaste
>and razor, tumbling about as the airplane moves smartly through turbulence,
>those glasses are scratched and pretty snotty looking.
>
>I still have the original prescription for those backup glasses from 30
>years ago, and the glasses still give me better than 20/20, but I don't see
>paying my eye doctor's Hawaiian vacation this year with the ridiculous price
>for what in essence is about a dollar's worth of plastic. I don't mind
>seeing him once every other year and getting all the tests for corneal
>scratching, ulceration, and whatever that puff of air tests for.
>
>I guess the short question is whether anybody has found an offshore eyeglass
>supplier? I mean if I can buy v!@#r@ and c1@l!$ offshore without a
>prescription, why can't I find an offshore supplier for a simple thing like
>glasses -- simple myopia without any astigmatism?
>
>Anybody?
>
>Jim

Your glasses are your prescription, you don't need another one from the doctor
just get replacement lenses using the existing glasses. They can get the
prescription details from your current lenses.

Bob Reed

"Ladies and Gentlemen, take my advice,
(M.A.S.H. Sidney Freedman)

Russ Haggerty
December 28th 04, 03:57 AM
On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 10:25:00 -0800, "RST Engineering"
> wrote:

>My medical requires me to wear lenses which correct for distant vision.
>There, that makes this post on-topic.
>
>I've been wearing contacts for over 30 years, same prescription every time,
>hasn't changed in all that time. I also carry a set of regular glasses in
>my ditty bag on the off chance some day I'll tear a lens while on the road
>and have to use the glasses.
>
>As you can imagine, after 30 years of fighting it out with the toothpaste
>and razor, tumbling about as the airplane moves smartly through turbulence,
>those glasses are scratched and pretty snotty looking.
>
>I still have the original prescription for those backup glasses from 30
>years ago, and the glasses still give me better than 20/20, but I don't see
>paying my eye doctor's Hawaiian vacation this year with the ridiculous price
>for what in essence is about a dollar's worth of plastic. I don't mind
>seeing him once every other year and getting all the tests for corneal
>scratching, ulceration, and whatever that puff of air tests for.
>

>I guess the short question is whether anybody has found an offshore eyeglass
>supplier? I mean if I can buy v!@#r@ and c1@l!$ offshore without a
>prescription, why can't I find an offshore supplier for a simple thing like
>glasses -- simple myopia without any astigmatism?
>
>Anybody?
>
>Jim

Try this link....
http://www.19dollareyeglasses.com/

Robert M. Gary
December 28th 04, 05:21 AM
Ron Natalie wrote:
> RST Engineering wrote:
>
> > I guess the short question is whether anybody has found an offshore
eyeglass
> > supplier? I mean if I can buy v!@#r@ and c1@l!$ offshore without a

> > prescription, why can't I find an offshore supplier for a simple
thing like
> > glasses -- simple myopia without any astigmatism?
> >
> You don't need to go off-shore, and you don't need to go to some
> rip-off optician associated with your doctor. Plenty of cheap
> glasses places including those in places like Sam's Club and
> Costco.

But all of them require a *current* prescription. A contact
prescription is different (does not include the axis information). The
best thing to do is to ask for an updated prescription the next time
you have your contact prescription updated.
-Robert (wears contact and carries glasses)

Cub Driver
December 28th 04, 11:08 AM
On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 22:57:24 -0500, Russ Haggerty
> wrote:

>>I still have the original prescription for those backup glasses from 30
>>years ago, and the glasses still give me better than 20/20, but I don't see
>>paying my eye doctor's Hawaiian vacation this year with the ridiculous price
>>for what in essence is about a dollar's worth of plastic. I don't mind
>>seeing him once every other year and getting all the tests for corneal
>>scratching, ulceration, and whatever that puff of air tests for.

These are your EYES! They are what you see the world through. Without
them you are in a black hole forever.

You can take the specs to Pearl or some other chain optometrists and
get new glasses for under a hundred bucks if the RX is as simple as
you say. Or hand them the RX. They won't force you to have an eye exam
if you don't want one. (Tell them your eye doc is in HI for a month :)

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (put Cubdriver in subject line)

Warbird's Forum www.warbirdforum.com
Piper Cub Forum www.pipercubforum.com
the blog www.danford.net

Ron Natalie
December 28th 04, 02:48 PM
Robert M. Gary wrote:

> But all of them require a *current* prescription. A contact
> prescription is different (does not include the axis information). The
> best thing to do is to ask for an updated prescription the next time
> you have your contact prescription updated.
> -Robert (wears contact and carries glasses)

The eye doctor should have this. If they've examined you in the
last year you should be able to get a copy of the prescription.
Even if they didn't put the prismatic correction on the contacts.

Stuart & Kathryn Fields
December 30th 04, 08:15 PM
Has anyone here tried the "Eye Exercise" bit that was advertised on TV for
awhile? They seem to think they had a technique to eliminate or reduce the
need for glasses.
Stu Fields bi-focals and hating them.
"Cub Driver" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 22:57:24 -0500, Russ Haggerty
> > wrote:
>
> >>I still have the original prescription for those backup glasses from 30
> >>years ago, and the glasses still give me better than 20/20, but I don't
see
> >>paying my eye doctor's Hawaiian vacation this year with the ridiculous
price
> >>for what in essence is about a dollar's worth of plastic. I don't mind
> >>seeing him once every other year and getting all the tests for corneal
> >>scratching, ulceration, and whatever that puff of air tests for.
>
> These are your EYES! They are what you see the world through. Without
> them you are in a black hole forever.
>
> You can take the specs to Pearl or some other chain optometrists and
> get new glasses for under a hundred bucks if the RX is as simple as
> you say. Or hand them the RX. They won't force you to have an eye exam
> if you don't want one. (Tell them your eye doc is in HI for a month :)
>

> all the best -- Dan Ford
> email: (put Cubdriver in subject line)
>
> Warbird's Forum www.warbirdforum.com
> Piper Cub Forum www.pipercubforum.com
> the blog www.danford.net

Gig Giacona
December 30th 04, 08:39 PM
"As Seen On TV" always the hallmark to a quality product.

"Stuart & Kathryn Fields" > wrote in message
> Has anyone here tried the "Eye Exercise" bit that was advertised on TV for
> awhile? They seem to think they had a technique to eliminate or reduce
> the
> need for glasses.
> Stu Fields bi-focals and hating them.
> "Cub Driver" > wrote in message

> see
> price
>>
>> These are your EYES! They are what you see the world through. Without
>> them you are in a black hole forever.
>>
>> You can take the specs to Pearl or some other chain optometrists and
>> get new glasses for under a hundred bucks if the RX is as simple as
>> you say. Or hand them the RX. They won't force you to have an eye exam
>> if you don't want one. (Tell them your eye doc is in HI for a month :)
>>

>> all the best -- Dan Ford
>> email: (put Cubdriver in subject line)
>>
>> Warbird's Forum www.warbirdforum.com
>> Piper Cub Forum www.pipercubforum.com
>> the blog www.danford.net

Stuart Fields
December 31st 04, 12:04 AM
Gig: Does this include the Ferari I saw on TV?
"Gig Giacona" > wrote in message
> "As Seen On TV" always the hallmark to a quality product.
>

> "Stuart & Kathryn Fields" > wrote in message
> > Has anyone here tried the "Eye Exercise" bit that was advertised on TV
for
> > awhile? They seem to think they had a technique to eliminate or reduce
> > the
> > need for glasses.
> > Stu Fields bi-focals and hating them.
> > "Cub Driver" > wrote in message
> >> On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 22:57:24 -0500, Russ Haggerty

> > see
> > price
> >>
> >> These are your EYES! They are what you see the world through. Without
> >> them you are in a black hole forever.
> >>
> >> You can take the specs to Pearl or some other chain optometrists and
> >> get new glasses for under a hundred bucks if the RX is as simple as
> >> you say. Or hand them the RX. They won't force you to have an eye exam
> >> if you don't want one. (Tell them your eye doc is in HI for a month :)
> >>

> >> all the best -- Dan Ford
> >> email: (put Cubdriver in subject line)
> >>
> >> Warbird's Forum www.warbirdforum.com
> >> Piper Cub Forum www.pipercubforum.com
> >> the blog www.danford.net

Dan Youngquist
December 31st 04, 10:03 PM
On Thu, 30 Dec 2004, Stuart & Kathryn Fields wrote:

> Has anyone here tried the "Eye Exercise" bit that was advertised on TV
> for awhile? They seem to think they had a technique to eliminate or
> reduce the need for glasses.

Haven't tried their program, but I've had noticeable results with some
basic eye exercises, as long as I remember to do them. The idea is to
exercise each eye to the limits of its focusing ability, and try to push
it a little beyond on both ends. I go back & forth between the near & far
limits a number of times with each eye.

-Dan

Cy Galley
January 3rd 05, 02:46 AM
Go to your local drug store and pick out a nice generic set of glasses.

"RST Engineering" > wrote in message
> My medical requires me to wear lenses which correct for distant vision.
> There, that makes this post on-topic.
>
> I've been wearing contacts for over 30 years, same prescription every
time,
> hasn't changed in all that time. I also carry a set of regular glasses in
> my ditty bag on the off chance some day I'll tear a lens while on the road
> and have to use the glasses.
>
> As you can imagine, after 30 years of fighting it out with the toothpaste
> and razor, tumbling about as the airplane moves smartly through
turbulence,
> those glasses are scratched and pretty snotty looking.
>
> I still have the original prescription for those backup glasses from 30
> years ago, and the glasses still give me better than 20/20, but I don't
see
> paying my eye doctor's Hawaiian vacation this year with the ridiculous
price
> for what in essence is about a dollar's worth of plastic. I don't mind
> seeing him once every other year and getting all the tests for corneal
> scratching, ulceration, and whatever that puff of air tests for.
>
> I guess the short question is whether anybody has found an offshore
eyeglass
> supplier? I mean if I can buy v!@#r@ and c1@l!$ offshore without a
> prescription, why can't I find an offshore supplier for a simple thing
like
> glasses -- simple myopia without any astigmatism?
>
> Anybody?
>
> Jim

Peter
January 3rd 05, 02:54 AM
Cy Galley wrote:

> Go to your local drug store and pick out a nice generic set of glasses.

If your local drug store is anything like mine you'll find that
they only have generic 'reading glasses'; i.e. with magnifying
(positive diopter) lenses. I've never seen the equivalent for
glasses to correct myopia which requires negative diopter lenses.

But that internet site with the $20 glasses looks like it'll be
worth a try.

> "RST Engineering" > wrote in message
>
>>My medical requires me to wear lenses which correct for distant vision.
>>There, that makes this post on-topic.
>>
>>I've been wearing contacts for over 30 years, same prescription every
>
> time,
>
>>hasn't changed in all that time. I also carry a set of regular glasses in
>>my ditty bag on the off chance some day I'll tear a lens while on the road
>>and have to use the glasses.
>>
>>As you can imagine, after 30 years of fighting it out with the toothpaste
>>and razor, tumbling about as the airplane moves smartly through
>
> turbulence,
>
>>those glasses are scratched and pretty snotty looking.

Juan Jimenez
January 3rd 05, 03:05 PM
All of the chain store eyeglass stores have optometrists that will charge
you at most $25-$40 for an eye exam to update the prescription. You can then
tell them you want the cheapest set of glasses in the store, which last time
I checked at a few places was not over $60-$75. You can also buy them
offshore but you will still have to get the optometrists to issue a recent
prescription.

You could also try going to the chain store and asking them if they can
polish and try to repair the original lenses.

> "RST Engineering" > wrote in message
>> My medical requires me to wear lenses which correct for distant vision.
>> There, that makes this post on-topic.
>>
>> I've been wearing contacts for over 30 years, same prescription every
> time,
>> hasn't changed in all that time. I also carry a set of regular glasses
>> in
>> my ditty bag on the off chance some day I'll tear a lens while on the
>> road
>> and have to use the glasses.
>>
>> As you can imagine, after 30 years of fighting it out with the toothpaste
>> and razor, tumbling about as the airplane moves smartly through
> turbulence,
>> those glasses are scratched and pretty snotty looking.
>>
>> I still have the original prescription for those backup glasses from 30
>> years ago, and the glasses still give me better than 20/20, but I don't
> see
>> paying my eye doctor's Hawaiian vacation this year with the ridiculous
> price
>> for what in essence is about a dollar's worth of plastic. I don't mind
>> seeing him once every other year and getting all the tests for corneal
>> scratching, ulceration, and whatever that puff of air tests for.
>>
>> I guess the short question is whether anybody has found an offshore
> eyeglass
>> supplier? I mean if I can buy v!@#r@ and c1@l!$ offshore without a
>> prescription, why can't I find an offshore supplier for a simple thing
> like
>> glasses -- simple myopia without any astigmatism?
>>
>> Anybody?
>>
>> Jim

Google