PDA

View Full Version : gun for spraying primer

Mike Rapoport
September 5th 05, 01:13 AM
I will be priming a lot of parts and wouild like to make it as painless a
process as possible. I have heard that there are spray guns that can use a
plastic bag to minimize clean up but I have not seen one. I would also like
to be able to submerge the gun in a bucket of solvent between uses but I
don't think that there is a suitable solvent for epoxy primers. Is there?

What are you guys doing?

Mike
Murphy Moose

Bruce E Butts
September 5th 05, 01:36 AM
Have been using Harbor Freight airbrush, almost a disposable item, get
them on sale. Google the VeeDuber post on using an airbrush for spraying
ZnCr primer

Bruce.

Ernest Christley
September 5th 05, 02:26 AM
Bruce E Butts wrote:
> Have been using Harbor Freight airbrush, almost a disposable item, get
> them on sale. Google the VeeDuber post on using an airbrush for spraying
> ZnCr primer
>
> Bruce.

I'm just about ready to paint a very extensive amount of metal work
myself, and I also plan to use this method for the parts I'm not coating
in appliance epoxy.

The biggest advantage with the cheap airbrushes, I'm told, is that you
can mix different colors or even solvents in baby food jars. I've been
told that you can keep the mixed 2-part epoxy in a refrigerator and it
won't set up so fast. So if you don't get to everything you thought you
would today, you won't necessarily waste as much paint.

--
This is by far the hardest lesson about freedom. It goes against
instinct, and morality, to just sit back and watch people make

ORVAL FAIRAIRN
September 5th 05, 03:57 AM
In article >,
Ernest Christley > wrote:

> Bruce E Butts wrote:
> > Have been using Harbor Freight airbrush, almost a disposable item, get
> > them on sale. Google the VeeDuber post on using an airbrush for spraying
> > ZnCr primer
> >
> > Bruce.
> >

> I'm just about ready to paint a very extensive amount of metal work
> myself, and I also plan to use this method for the parts I'm not coating
> in appliance epoxy.
>
> The biggest advantage with the cheap airbrushes, I'm told, is that you
> can mix different colors or even solvents in baby food jars. I've been
> told that you can keep the mixed 2-part epoxy in a refrigerator and it
> won't set up so fast. So if you don't get to everything you thought you
> would today, you won't necessarily waste as much paint.

I have been using PPG two-part epoxy primer, applying it with a Badger
airbrush. If I am spraying only small parts, I can mix up very small
batches, using measuring spoons, as it takes only small amounts of
primer.

I have been able to store the leftovers in my freezer and use them a
couple of weeks later. I have found the individual-sized (1 oz) jelly
jars that good restaurants use to be great for this purpose.

Lacquer thinner is good for cleaning up the equipment, although I have
to remove the needle and tip occasionally and clean them up.

The airbrush certainly beats using a touchup gun!

W P Dixon
September 5th 05, 04:55 AM
Mike ,
you may want to try some surplus aircraft stores. We used to use these
little mini sprayers ,..actually guys would home make them as well,...but it
just used a simple plastic cup , or even could just spray out of a paper cup
if you want. Very good for small parts and such. If you have no luck , let
me know...see if I can locate ya one .

Patrick
student SPL
aircraft structural mech

"ORVAL FAIRAIRN" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Ernest Christley > wrote:
>
>> Bruce E Butts wrote:
>> > Have been using Harbor Freight airbrush, almost a disposable item, get
>> > them on sale. Google the VeeDuber post on using an airbrush for
>> > spraying
>> > ZnCr primer
>> >
>> > Bruce.
>> >

>> I'm just about ready to paint a very extensive amount of metal work
>> myself, and I also plan to use this method for the parts I'm not coating
>> in appliance epoxy.
>>
>> The biggest advantage with the cheap airbrushes, I'm told, is that you
>> can mix different colors or even solvents in baby food jars. I've been
>> told that you can keep the mixed 2-part epoxy in a refrigerator and it
>> won't set up so fast. So if you don't get to everything you thought you
>> would today, you won't necessarily waste as much paint.
>

> I have been using PPG two-part epoxy primer, applying it with a Badger
> airbrush. If I am spraying only small parts, I can mix up very small
> batches, using measuring spoons, as it takes only small amounts of
> primer.
>
> I have been able to store the leftovers in my freezer and use them a
> couple of weeks later. I have found the individual-sized (1 oz) jelly
> jars that good restaurants use to be great for this purpose.
>
> Lacquer thinner is good for cleaning up the equipment, although I have
> to remove the needle and tip occasionally and clean them up.
>
> The airbrush certainly beats using a touchup gun!

W P Dixon
September 5th 05, 05:08 AM
Matter of fact,
You have me going to make me another one! Mine has gone to the mtsterious
mech brother of the sky...nah I know who has it! ;) They are very simple to
make, and hey when you are working on the line and have to prime a fabbed
part and do not want your job to look like crud by brushing on primer it
does a great job and clean up is a snap. And if you ever have drug out the
paint guns you know you spend as much time cleaning the gun than you spent
shooting a part!
Take a good old harbour freight air sprayer with the trigger handle on
top..just a few bucks...rig up a small plastic tube that makes it up into
the air stream. Using a small hose clamp is a good way to keep it in place.
Stick the tube into a cup of primer and fire away!!! To adjust the
coverage..very simple..move the tube up or down in the air stream. Works
beautifully!!! Cost practically nothing, and clean up consists of just
cleaning that little tube off!

Patrick
student SPL
aircraft structural mech

"W P Dixon" > wrote in message
> Mike ,
> you may want to try some surplus aircraft stores. We used to use these
> little mini sprayers ,..actually guys would home make them as well,...but
> it just used a simple plastic cup , or even could just spray out of a
> paper cup if you want. Very good for small parts and such. If you have no
> luck , let me know...see if I can locate ya one .
>
> Patrick
> student SPL
> aircraft structural mech
>
> "ORVAL FAIRAIRN" > wrote in message
>> In article >,
>> Ernest Christley > wrote:

>>> I'm just about ready to paint a very extensive amount of metal work
>>> myself, and I also plan to use this method for the parts I'm not coating
>>> in appliance epoxy.
>>>
>>> The biggest advantage with the cheap airbrushes, I'm told, is that you
>>> can mix different colors or even solvents in baby food jars. I've been
>>> told that you can keep the mixed 2-part epoxy in a refrigerator and it
>>> won't set up so fast. So if you don't get to everything you thought you
>>> would today, you won't necessarily waste as much paint.
>>

>> I have been using PPG two-part epoxy primer, applying it with a Badger
>> airbrush. If I am spraying only small parts, I can mix up very small
>> batches, using measuring spoons, as it takes only small amounts of
>> primer.
>>
>> I have been able to store the leftovers in my freezer and use them a
>> couple of weeks later. I have found the individual-sized (1 oz) jelly
>> jars that good restaurants use to be great for this purpose.
>>
>> Lacquer thinner is good for cleaning up the equipment, although I have
>> to remove the needle and tip occasionally and clean them up.
>>
>> The airbrush certainly beats using a touchup gun!

Mike Rapoport
September 6th 05, 03:35 PM
Thanks to everyone for all the advice! I am going to order a some sprayers
from Harbor Freight today. I didn't realize that airbrushes were so cheap.

Mike
Murphy Moose

Google