PDA

View Full Version : Best lubricant for Mechanical Tachometer Cable???

RonLee
January 2nd 05, 06:02 PM
My tach cable housing (Lycoming) leaks nasty black stuff so I cleaned
and dried it. What is the best lubricant to use? Particularly one that
does not deteriorate and leak through the housing. What about a
covering for the housing to prevent the leaking?

Cy Galley
January 2nd 05, 08:15 PM
The "nasty black stuff" is the graphite lubricant. The reason that it is
leaking is a bad tach drive seal in the tach drive adapter on the back of
your engine. This lets the engine oil wash the Black stuff thru the tach
drive housing. The housing should not leak under normal conditions so I'd
also check to see if the housing has a hole worn in the side.

--
Cy Galley - Chair,
AirVenture Emergency Aircraft Repair

RonLee" > wrote in message
> My tach cable housing (Lycoming) leaks nasty black stuff so I cleaned
> and dried it. What is the best lubricant to use? Particularly one that
> does not deteriorate and leak through the housing. What about a
> covering for the housing to prevent the leaking?

Dan Nafe
January 3rd 05, 02:22 PM
In article >,
RonLee > wrote:

> My tach cable housing (Lycoming) leaks nasty black stuff so I cleaned
> and dried it. What is the best lubricant to use? Particularly one that
> does not deteriorate and leak through the housing. What about a
> covering for the housing to prevent the leaking?

The best way to deal with this is to replace your mechanical tachometer
with an electronic one from EI.

Anthony W
January 4th 05, 12:04 AM
> RonLee > wrote:

> My tach cable housing (Lycoming) leaks nasty black stuff so I cleaned
> and dried it. What is the best lubricant to use? Particularly one that
> does not deteriorate and leak through the housing. What about a
> covering for the housing to prevent the leaking?

Lube the cable with wheelbearing grease and if there are any cracks in the
plastic cover on the cable housing, you can recover it with heat shrink
tubing for about 2 bucks. I do this on motorcycle cables all the time.

Tony

Google