PDA

View Full Version : advanced fuel flow mesurement system using microcontroller

khanindra jyoti deka
January 3rd 05, 10:45 AM
Hi,
I am doing doing an Embedded Design course.Here i get "Advanced fuel
flow mesurement system using microcontroller" as a project topic.But i
dont know much about the topic.How to measure the fuel.
Anybody who did/doing some work on it please help me out of this
problem.
I need the guidence to start it.If anybody guide me i will be grateful
to him.

Regards
Khanindra j. Deka

Stealth Pilot
January 3rd 05, 02:58 PM
On 3 Jan 2005 02:45:47 -0800, (khanindra jyoti deka)
wrote:

>Hi,
>I am doing doing an Embedded Design course.Here i get "Advanced fuel
>flow mesurement system using microcontroller" as a project topic.But i
>dont know much about the topic.How to measure the fuel.
>Anybody who did/doing some work on it please help me out of this
>problem.
>I need the guidence to start it.If anybody guide me i will be grateful
>to him.
>
>Regards
>Khanindra j. Deka

dont quote me on this. I used to teach in a peripheral system.

aperture plate in the line with pressure transducers upstream and down
stream of the plate.
PID (proportional, integral and derivative) loop in the
PLC.(programmable logic controller)
senses the pressure differences and integrates a function which
assumes a flow rate equated to a pressure difference.
uses the computed flow rate to derive the control output.

hunt out some of the PLC manufacturers web pages. these may give you
more info on PLC setups.
Allen-Bradley
Texas Instruments
Omron
Square D (an old one)
Honeywell
....are just a few PLC manufacturers that come to mind.

hope this gets you started.
Stealth Pilot

Mr Page
January 3rd 05, 04:12 PM
> I am doing doing an Embedded Design course.Here i get "Advanced fuel
> flow mesurement system using microcontroller" as a project topic.But i
> dont know much about the topic.How to measure the fuel.
> Anybody who did/doing some work on it please help me out of this
> problem.
> I need the guidence to start it.If anybody guide me i will be grateful
> to him.

You go and get yourself a fuel flow meter, hook its output up to a
microcontroller discrete logic input, and count the pulses over time. The
fuel flow meter documentation will tell you how many pulses equals how much
fuel, look at the K factor. The pulses are created by a little wheel
turning in the flow stream.

JPI (www.jpinstruments.com) sells fuel flow meters, and you should look at
their online JPI-700 or 800 user's guide for how to calibrate the K factor
of the fuel flow. Also check the catalogs like Aircraft Spruce and Chief
for flow meters.

UltraJohn
January 4th 05, 12:45 AM
Richard Riley wrote:

> They sell a lot of flow meters in the marine industry - it's just as
> bad to run out of fuel in a boat 20 miles off shore as in a light
> plane.

http://www.measureanything.com/products/94551-0347/datasheet_94551-0347_fuel_flowmeter_201B-6.asp

Well almost usually the landings a little softer in the boat, depending on
weather conditions! <g>
John

Morgans
January 4th 05, 01:18 AM
"UltraJohn" > wrote

> Well almost usually the landings a little softer in the boat, depending on
> weather conditions! <g>
> John

Reminds me of the joke about the airliner having engines quit, and getting
later and later, and the one guy that says, "damn, if we lose that last one,
we'll be up here all day"

With the boat you get that softer landing, and you have longer before you
die, after running out of gas. :-)
--
Jim in NC

Google