PDA

View Full Version : Nicopress Swaging Tool - Availability

Gary T. Ciampa
January 4th 05, 11:52 PM
All,

This information may be well known but I felt compelled to pass it along.

I've been searching for a Nicopress Swaging tool and choking on the
prices at the typcial aircraft supply companies.

Turns out that Lowes has a Campbell Nicipress tool, 1/16 to 1/8 of an
inch for $24.95. The tool is located in the rope,chain and stell cable
area.

I assume the less expense tool will perform adequately, based on
go/no-go verification.

Cheers,

Gary

Ron Wanttaja
January 5th 05, 02:05 AM
On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 23:52:26 GMT, "Gary T. Ciampa" > wrote:

>All,
>
>This information may be well known but I felt compelled to pass it along.
>
>I've been searching for a Nicopress Swaging tool and choking on the
>prices at the typcial aircraft supply companies.
>
>Turns out that Lowes has a Campbell Nicipress tool, 1/16 to 1/8 of an
>inch for $24.95. The tool is located in the rope,chain and stell cable
>area.
>
>I assume the less expense tool will perform adequately, based on
>go/no-go verification.

Be advised that the tool *may* be somewhat different than the standard aviation
variety. "Normal" aviation swages are designed so that the length of the swaged
areas for 1/16" and 3/32" cable is just slightly less than the length of the
nicopress sleeve.

I bought a swage about 15 years ago, though, that had a length of swaged area
less than 1/2 the length of the sleeves.

This is nominally not a problem, since you can just hit the sleeve several
times, like you do with 1/8" and larger. However, most aviation guides to
nicopressing call for only *one* swage on 1/16" and 3/32" sleeves. If you
follow those instructions with these "short" swages, only half the sleeve length
will be compressed and it probably won't develop the full rated strength.

The interesting thing, I bought that "short" swage from an aviation vendor.

Anyway, with the appropriate number of compressions and the correct go/no-go
gauge, it'll probably work fine. Personally, I bought another swage.

Ron Wanttaja

Pierre
January 5th 05, 01:59 PM
Note that there is also available an "economy swaging tool" (see Aircraft
Spruce catalog P/N 12-12000) for $15.95. It takes more time to do the swage
(you tighten bolts to swage the sleeve) but that's not a big problem unless
you work on an assembly line and have hundreds of these things to do.

This tool has been recommended in the "canard pusher" newsletter.

Has anybody any comments on this? Are there any potential problems with
picky inspectors?

"Gary T. Ciampa" > wrote in message
om...
> All,
>
> This information may be well known but I felt compelled to pass it along.
>
> I've been searching for a Nicopress Swaging tool and choking on the
> prices at the typcial aircraft supply companies.
>
> Turns out that Lowes has a Campbell Nicipress tool, 1/16 to 1/8 of an
> inch for $24.95. The tool is located in the rope,chain and stell cable
> area.
>
> I assume the less expense tool will perform adequately, based on
> go/no-go verification.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Gary

Corky Scott
January 5th 05, 02:26 PM
On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 08:59:04 -0500, "Pierre" >
wrote:

>Note that there is also available an "economy swaging tool" (see Aircraft
>Spruce catalog P/N 12-12000) for $15.95. It takes more time to do the swage
>(you tighten bolts to swage the sleeve) but that's not a big problem unless
>you work on an assembly line and have hundreds of these things to do.
>
>This tool has been recommended in the "canard pusher" newsletter.
>
>Has anybody any comments on this? Are there any potential problems with
>picky inspectors?

I have this tool and confirm that it does what it's supposed to do. I
think it's insane to buy the expensive tool when the less expensive
one does the job precisely as well as the more expensive one, it just
takes longer.

Please note, there is no difference in the resultant swaged cable end
whether using the cheap tool or the expensive one, the end result is
exactly, repeat, exactly the same. In fact, I borrowed the expensive
tool once and had to discard the parts because the owner called me up
later and told me that he'd been contacted by the manufacturer and was
told that the tool had been improperly manufactured and could produce
substandard swages. So the cheap tool worked better than the
expensive one.

If you tighten the bolts till the two halves of the cheap swaging tool
bottom out together, how can the result be any different than the more
expensive tool?

Corky Scott

BTIZ
January 5th 05, 08:25 PM
Corky... the swages must still be checked against a "go - nogo" criteria ..
measuring tool..

We had a control cable here that came apart in-flight, swage failed.. a tool
was used that had previously been determined to produce substandard swages..
it was kept around for some reason.. another mechanic used it a couple years
later on an aircraft and did not check the go/nogo,

the aileron cable came apart.. the pilot was able to emergency land in the
desert with no major damage.. rudder/elevator only..

the mechanic was fired.. and a letter put in his FAA folder..

BT

"Corky Scott" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 08:59:04 -0500, "Pierre" >
> wrote:
>
>>Note that there is also available an "economy swaging tool" (see Aircraft
>>Spruce catalog P/N 12-12000) for $15.95. It takes more time to do the
>>swage
>>(you tighten bolts to swage the sleeve) but that's not a big problem
>>unless
>>you work on an assembly line and have hundreds of these things to do.
>>
>>This tool has been recommended in the "canard pusher" newsletter.
>>
>>Has anybody any comments on this? Are there any potential problems with
>>picky inspectors?
>
> I have this tool and confirm that it does what it's supposed to do. I
> think it's insane to buy the expensive tool when the less expensive
> one does the job precisely as well as the more expensive one, it just
> takes longer.
>
> Please note, there is no difference in the resultant swaged cable end
> whether using the cheap tool or the expensive one, the end result is
> exactly, repeat, exactly the same. In fact, I borrowed the expensive
> tool once and had to discard the parts because the owner called me up
> later and told me that he'd been contacted by the manufacturer and was
> told that the tool had been improperly manufactured and could produce
> substandard swages. So the cheap tool worked better than the
> expensive one.
>
> If you tighten the bolts till the two halves of the cheap swaging tool
> bottom out together, how can the result be any different than the more
> expensive tool?
>
> Corky Scott

Wayne Paul
January 6th 05, 01:50 AM
Here is a link to a accident report which involved the use of a nicopress
tool on a cable end that should have been swaged.
http://www.ntsb.gov/NTSB/brief.asp?ev_id=20001211X15727&key=1

Wayne
http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder

"BTIZ" > wrote in message
> Corky... the swages must still be checked against a "go - nogo" criteria
> measuring tool..
>
> We had a control cable here that came apart in-flight, swage failed.. a
tool
> was used that had previously been determined to produce substandard
swages..
> it was kept around for some reason.. another mechanic used it a couple
years
> later on an aircraft and did not check the go/nogo,
>
> the aileron cable came apart.. the pilot was able to emergency land in the
> desert with no major damage.. rudder/elevator only..
>
> the mechanic was fired.. and a letter put in his FAA folder..
>
> BT

Blueskies
January 7th 05, 01:18 AM
"Gary T. Ciampa" > wrote in message ...

> BTW: As it turns out, the tools from Lowes was NOT, I repeat, NOT sufficient for the nicopress compression sleeves.
>
> Sorry about the false advertising! I ended up ordering an aviation approved tool.
>
> Regards,
>
> Gary

What was wrong with it?

ChuckSlusarczyk
January 7th 05, 02:27 AM
In article >, Gary T. Ciampa says...

>BTW: As it turns out, the tools from Lowes was NOT, I repeat, NOT
>sufficient for the nicopress compression sleeves.
>
>Sorry about the false advertising! I ended up ordering an aviation
>approved tool.

Now you've piqued my curiosity ,I have 2 National Telephone nico tools at my
shop ,the expensive ones .One is hand held and the other is a bench mount. I
also just bought the $24.95 economy tool from Lowes. In the next day or so I
will make up some test cables and compare the pricey ones with the cheap one,and
post my results. I also have a go / no go gauge provided with my NT to check all
three swages.

I have had excellent results with the bolt style swage tool and it will do what
my expensive tools will do only slower. It's good for homebuilders but too slow
for production. Great for a tool box.

See ya

Chuck S

Mark Smith
January 7th 05, 02:50 AM
Gary T. Ciampa wrote:

> Gary T. Ciampa wrote:
> > All,
> >
> > This information may be well known but I felt compelled to pass it along.
> >
> > I've been searching for a Nicopress Swaging tool and choking on the
> > prices at the typcial aircraft supply companies.
> >
> > Turns out that Lowes has a Campbell Nicipress tool, 1/16 to 1/8 of an
> > inch for $24.95. The tool is located in the rope,chain and stell cable
> > area.
> >
> > I assume the less expense tool will perform adequately, based on
> > go/no-go verification.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Gary
>
> BTW: As it turns out, the tools from Lowes was NOT, I repeat, NOT
> sufficient for the nicopress compression sleeves.
>
> Sorry about the false advertising! I ended up ordering an aviation
> approved tool.
>
> Regards,
>
> Gary

I bought one, swaged some sleeves, checked them with Go gage, checked OK

what did you find wrong,,,,,,,,,??
--

Mark Smith
Tri-State Kite Sales

http://www.trikite.com

Corky Scott
January 7th 05, 01:27 PM
On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 12:25:09 -0800, "BTIZ" >
wrote:

>Corky... the swages must still be checked against a "go - nogo" criteria ..
>measuring tool..
>
>We had a control cable here that came apart in-flight, swage failed.. a tool
>was used that had previously been determined to produce substandard swages..
>it was kept around for some reason.. another mechanic used it a couple years
>later on an aircraft and did not check the go/nogo,

That's a good story BTIZ, but does not address the point. The point
is the cheapo tool works just as well as the expensive tool. Yes, you
should always check with a go-no-go guage.

Corky Scott

BTIZ
January 7th 05, 08:16 PM
> I don't have a go no go guage in the box. My airplane only has 8
> swages, none critical or significantly stressed, so it's not
> surprising. Where do they come from and how much do they cost?

Then why do you have them?
Are they on control cables?
Are they "flying wires"

If any 1 popped.. would it overstress another? and would a combination of
more than 2 or more of the 8 letting go cause flight problems?

I do not know where to get the go-nogo tool.. but I would guess any aviation
tool / parts supply house would know.

BT

BTIZ
January 7th 05, 08:19 PM
>>We had a control cable here that came apart in-flight, swage failed.. a
>>tool
>>was used that had previously been determined to produce substandard
>>swages..
>>it was kept around for some reason.. another mechanic used it a couple
>>years
>>later on an aircraft and did not check the go/nogo,
>
> That's a good story BTIZ, but does not address the point. The point
> is the cheapo tool works just as well as the expensive tool. Yes, you
> should always check with a go-no-go guage.
>
> Corky Scott

Corky... the point is.. we had a bad tool... and someone knew it.. but never
marked it or told anyone else.. it was perfectly good for using to set
cables for picnic awnings.. but not for aircraft use.

but the poor hapless mechanic used it on an airplane, did not have his
go-nogo handy.. and compared the compression with a micrometer to a factory
swedge... the swedge he put in let go..

BT

Corky Scott
January 7th 05, 09:19 PM
On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 08:30:05 -0800, Richard Riley
> wrote:

>I don't have a go no go guage in the box. My airplane only has 8
>swages, none critical or significantly stressed, so it's not
>surprising. Where do they come from and how much do they cost?

They are REALLY simple and cheap. They are just precision slots cut
out of some thin sheet metal. You attempt to slide the proper cuttout
over your swaged nicopress fitting. If it slides on, it's properly
compressed. If it does not, the fitting is suspect.

Corky Scott

Corky Scott
January 7th 05, 09:24 PM
On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 12:19:15 -0800, "BTIZ" >
wrote:

>Corky... the point is.. we had a bad tool... and someone knew it.. but never
>marked it or told anyone else.. it was perfectly good for using to set
>cables for picnic awnings.. but not for aircraft use.

I understand. My thinking was that the original poster was asking if
the cheap tool was safe to use. My experience and that of those
who've used it and mentioned it here over the years, is that it does
produce aircraft quality swages.

Corky Scott

BTIZ
January 7th 05, 11:31 PM
> I understand. My thinking was that the original poster was asking if
> the cheap tool was safe to use. My experience and that of those
> who've used it and mentioned it here over the years, is that it does
> produce aircraft quality swages.
>
> Corky Scott

good deal Corky... we are still recovering from the mechanic being in a rush
to get an airplane back in service, that he chose not to drive 80 miles to
get his go-nogo tool.

The airplane survived the out landing, the pilot also, but we lost two tow
pilots who chose not to get back into the airplane after a outside party
mechanic said it was good to go.

BT

Bruce A. Frank
January 21st 05, 05:15 PM
Hmmm, I don't see a follow up as to precisely was wrong with the Lows tool.
Three years ago I bought a similar inexpensive ($23.00) at Home Depot. Before
using it I measured the die ring to see how it compared to the bolt together
tool I bought from Aircraft Spruce several years before. The jaws required some
minor adjustment of the jaw fit and stops to bring it to exactly the same as
the other tool (also found a page on the web that gave me the proper
dimensions). I check every crimp with the go/no go gauge. Some 200 swages so
far with no change required. And this unit doesn't have any brand name on it.

--
Bruce A. Frank, Editor "Ford 3.8/4.2L Engine and V-6 STOL
Homebuilt Aircraft Newsletter"

ChuckSlusarczyk
January 21st 05, 10:38 PM
In article >, Bruce A. Frank says...

>Hmmm, I don't see a follow up as to precisely was wrong with the Lows tool.
>Three years ago I bought a similar inexpensive ($23.00) at Home Depot. Before
>using it I measured the die ring to see how it compared to the bolt together
>tool I bought from Aircraft Spruce several years before. The jaws required some
>minor adjustment of the jaw fit and stops to bring it to exactly the same as
>the other tool (also found a page on the web that gave me the proper
>dimensions). I check every crimp with the go/no go gauge. Some 200 swages so
>far with no change required. And this unit doesn't have any brand name on it.

I compared my Cheapo Lowes tool against a bolt together type and 2 of my high
price Telephone Supply crimpers and after a minor adjustment I got the same
result on all of them. My results were the same as Bruces. A quality crimp. Only
time will tell how long the cheap set will last I haven't done a hardness test
on the jaws and that's where the difference if any will probably be.But for a
occasional use tool I thinks it's fine just check the crimp periodically
that's all.

See ya

Chuck S

PS I was crimping 3/32" 7X7 and 7X19 SS cable

Mark Smith
January 23rd 05, 02:09 PM
ChuckSlusarczyk wrote:

> In article >, Bruce A. Frank says...
> >
> >Hmmm, I don't see a follow up as to precisely was wrong with the Lows tool.
> >Three years ago I bought a similar inexpensive ($23.00) at Home Depot. Before
> >using it I measured the die ring to see how it compared to the bolt together
> >tool I bought from Aircraft Spruce several years before. The jaws required some
> >minor adjustment of the jaw fit and stops to bring it to exactly the same as
> >the other tool (also found a page on the web that gave me the proper
> >dimensions). I check every crimp with the go/no go gauge. Some 200 swages so
> >far with no change required. And this unit doesn't have any brand name on it.
>
> I compared my Cheapo Lowes tool against a bolt together type and 2 of my high
> price Telephone Supply crimpers and after a minor adjustment I got the same
> result on all of them. My results were the same as Bruces. A quality crimp. Only
> time will tell how long the cheap set will last I haven't done a hardness test
> on the jaws and that's where the difference if any will probably be.But for a
> occasional use tool I thinks it's fine just check the crimp periodically
> that's all.
>
> See ya
>
> Chuck S
>
> PS I was crimping 3/32" 7X7 and 7X19 SS cable

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and building strut braced planes,

I make 5/32 wires for the LE OB LWR wires and this takes a serious bench
tool.

I bought and tested the cheappo tool, and now loan it to customers
without worry of losing a 200 dollar production tool.

a simple check with a GO gage suffices for most nico sleevs and
stops,,,,,,,,,,

easy and effective,

and with enough use, even the exspensive models need adjustment,,,,,,,,,

--

Mark Smith
Tri-State Kite Sales

http://www.trikite.com

Blodgett
January 23rd 05, 06:28 PM
What is this tool called at Lowe's?

Mark Smith wrote:
> ChuckSlusarczyk wrote:
>
>>In article >, Bruce A. Frank says...
>>
>>>Hmmm, I don't see a follow up as to precisely was wrong with the Lows tool.
>>>Three years ago I bought a similar inexpensive ($23.00) at Home Depot. Before
>>>using it I measured the die ring to see how it compared to the bolt together
>>>tool I bought from Aircraft Spruce several years before. The jaws required some
>>>minor adjustment of the jaw fit and stops to bring it to exactly the same as
>>>the other tool (also found a page on the web that gave me the proper
>>>dimensions). I check every crimp with the go/no go gauge. Some 200 swages so
>>>far with no change required. And this unit doesn't have any brand name on it.
>>
>>I compared my Cheapo Lowes tool against a bolt together type and 2 of my high
>>price Telephone Supply crimpers and after a minor adjustment I got the same
>>result on all of them. My results were the same as Bruces. A quality crimp. Only
>>time will tell how long the cheap set will last I haven't done a hardness test
>>on the jaws and that's where the difference if any will probably be.But for a
>>occasional use tool I thinks it's fine just check the crimp periodically
>>that's all.
>>
>>See ya
>>
>>Chuck S
>>
>>PS I was crimping 3/32" 7X7 and 7X19 SS cable
>

> ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and building strut braced planes,
>
> I make 5/32 wires for the LE OB LWR wires and this takes a serious bench
> tool.
>
> I bought and tested the cheappo tool, and now loan it to customers
> without worry of losing a 200 dollar production tool.
>
> a simple check with a GO gage suffices for most nico sleevs and
> stops,,,,,,,,,,
>
> easy and effective,
>
> and with enough use, even the exspensive models need adjustment,,,,,,,,,

Mark Smith
January 23rd 05, 09:36 PM
Blodgett wrote:

> What is this tool called at Lowe's?
>
> Mark Smith wrote:
> > ChuckSlusarczyk wrote:
> >
> >>In article >, Bruce A. Frank says...

> >>I compared my Cheapo Lowes tool against a bolt together type and 2 of my high
> >>price Telephone Supply crimpers and after a minor adjustment I got the same
> >>result on all of them. My results were the same as Bruces. A quality crimp. Only
> >>time will tell how long the cheap set will last I haven't done a hardness test
> >>on the jaws and that's where the difference if any will probably be.But for a
> >>occasional use tool I thinks it's fine just check the crimp periodically
> >>that's all.
> >>
> >>See ya
> >>
> >>Chuck S
> >>
> >>PS I was crimping 3/32" 7X7 and 7X19 SS cable
> >

> > ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and building strut braced planes,
> >
> > I make 5/32 wires for the LE OB LWR wires and this takes a serious bench
> > tool.
> >
> > I bought and tested the cheappo tool, and now loan it to customers
> > without worry of losing a 200 dollar production tool.
> >
> > a simple check with a GO gage suffices for most nico sleevs and
> > stops,,,,,,,,,,
> >
> > easy and effective,
> >
> > and with enough use, even the exspensive models need adjustment,,,,,,,,,

It was located with the garage door parts,

used to swedge the cables for the doors,,,,,,,,,
--

Mark Smith
Tri-State Kite Sales

http://www.trikite.com

Blodgett
January 24th 05, 01:11 AM
Thank Mark! LJ

Mark Smith wrote:

> Blodgett wrote:
>
>>What is this tool called at Lowe's?
>>
>>Mark Smith wrote:

abripl
January 24th 05, 05:02 AM
I made one out of a pair of chain cutters with a little bit of welding
and grinding
to get the correct opening size.

ChuckSlusarczyk
January 24th 05, 11:57 AM
In article >, Mark Smith says...
>I make 5/32 wires for the LE OB LWR wires and this takes a serious bench
>tool.

I have one bench tool and 2 hand types,one the cheapo and the other a expensive
one.

>I bought and tested the cheappo tool, and now loan it to customers
>without worry of losing a 200 dollar production tool.

I will be taking my cheapo one to shows since I lost a good one at a show
once.

>a simple check with a GO gage suffices for most nico sleevs and
>stops,,,,,,,,,,
>
>easy and effective,
>
>and with enough use, even the exspensive models need adjustment,,,,,,,,,

That's a fact ,just check them with a go, no go gage. The nico doesn't care what
squeezed it all it wants is a good squeeze. :-)

See ya

Chuck S

Ron Natalie
January 24th 05, 01:33 PM
Mark Smith wrote:

> It was located with the garage door parts,
>
> used to swedge the cables for the doors,,,,,,,,,

And fence wires. Of course, this isn't too far fetched. The
NICOPRESS tool doesn't originate with airplanes. It was designed
to crimp telephone support wires into place.

GyroMike
January 24th 05, 02:10 PM
Blodgett wrote:
> What is this tool called at Lowe's?

Ask for part number 45915. I found them locared near the swag chains,
cables and stuff. Not in the tool section.
Call ahead and they can check inventory.

Mike

Bruce A. Frank
January 24th 05, 02:11 PM
I once did the same thing with a pair of bolt cutters. It worked and the
go/no-go gauge said it was correct, but it created a slight half moon
shape on the sleeve. I also took a cheap bolt cutter and brazed parts of
one of the bolt together cheapo tools to the jaws...also worked correctly,
but it looked strange. When I bought the cheapo tool crimping tool from
Home Depot I finally had an acceptable tool...after some minor adjustment.
It is likely the Lowe's tool is exactly the same as the one from Home
Depot.

abripl wrote:

> I made one out of a pair of chain cutters with a little bit of welding
> and grinding
> to get the correct opening size.

--
Bruce A. Frank, Editor "Ford 3.8/4.2L Engine and V-6 STOL
Homebuilt Aircraft Newsletter"
| Publishing interesting material|
| on all aspects of alternative |
| engines and homebuilt aircraft.|

John Kimmel
January 26th 05, 05:17 PM
The Home Depot tool looks slightly less cheap than the Lowes tool. It's
red, the Lowes is green. In both stores I had to search for the tool
myself, calling ahead with the part number and asking salesmen in the
store didn't help. In both cases a flashlight would have helped in the
search. I found them far from the tool cribs, in the area where they
sell cable, tucked into an obscure cubby hole on a bottom shelf.

Your results may vary.

Bruce A. Frank wrote:
> I once did the same thing with a pair of bolt cutters. It worked and the
> go/no-go gauge said it was correct, but it created a slight half moon
> shape on the sleeve. I also took a cheap bolt cutter and brazed parts of
> one of the bolt together cheapo tools to the jaws...also worked correctly,
> but it looked strange. When I bought the cheapo tool crimping tool from
> Home Depot I finally had an acceptable tool...after some minor adjustment.
> It is likely the Lowe's tool is exactly the same as the one from Home
> Depot.
>
> abripl wrote:
>

>>I made one out of a pair of chain cutters with a little bit of welding
>>and grinding
>>to get the correct opening size.
>

> --
> Bruce A. Frank, Editor "Ford 3.8/4.2L Engine and V-6 STOL
> Homebuilt Aircraft Newsletter"
> | Publishing interesting material|
> | on all aspects of alternative |
> | engines and homebuilt aircraft.|

--
J Kimmel

www.metalinnovations.com

"Cuius testiculos habes, habeas cardia et cerebellum." - When you have
their full attention in your grip, their hearts and minds will follow.

Barnyard BOb -
February 5th 05, 03:20 PM
>The nico doesn't care what
>squeezed it all it wants is a good squeeze. :-)
>
>See ya
>
>Chuck S
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-

Same here, 'cept I still cares who be doin' the squeezin'.

SOP*

*Squeezable Old Phart ;-)

Ed Sullivan
February 5th 05, 03:37 PM
On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 09:20:50 -0600, Barnyard BOb -
> wrote:

>>The nico doesn't care what
>>squeezed it all it wants is a good squeeze. :-)
>>
>>See ya
>>
>>Chuck S
>-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-
>
>Same here, 'cept I still cares who be doin' the squeezin'.
>

>SOP*
>

>*Squeezable Old Phart ;-)

ooh! that do paint a uuugly picher!

ebs

RobertR237
February 5th 05, 05:46 PM

>>The nico doesn't care what
>>squeezed it all it wants is a good squeeze. :-)
>>
>>See ya
>>
>>Chuck S
>-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-
>
>Same here, 'cept I still cares who be doin' the squeezin'.
>

>SOP*
>

>*Squeezable Old Phart ;-)

Beggars can't be choosers! :-))))
Bob Reed

"Ladies and Gentlemen, take my advice,
(M.A.S.H. Sidney Freedman)

Jim Carriere
February 5th 05, 06:40 PM
Oh, that's where this thread went...

I used the inexpensive tool (the one that uses two bolts for the
clamping force) the other day for several swages on 1/8 cable.

A word to the wise-

Mine came with lockwashers at the top of those bolts, I'm not sure
why either, they don't add to the functionality of the tool. Take
them off and replace them with regular flat washers!!! One of them
began digging into the body of the tool, and it is now more difficult
to turn that one bolt because the tool is damaged.

Anyway, it makes good swages- the go/no-go gauge fits over with a
slight amount of play- the swages are tight enough plus a little bit
more.

It's funny how the second time you do a job it takes half as long as
the first time.

Blueskies
February 6th 05, 12:14 AM
Could squish that tool in the bench vise also, as long as you can take the cable to vice....

"Jim Carriere" > wrote in message ...
> Oh, that's where this thread went...
>
> I used the inexpensive tool (the one that uses two bolts for the clamping force) the other day for several swages on
> 1/8 cable.
>
> A word to the wise-
>
> Mine came with lockwashers at the top of those bolts, I'm not sure why either, they don't add to the functionality of
> the tool. Take them off and replace them with regular flat washers!!! One of them began digging into the body of the
> tool, and it is now more difficult to turn that one bolt because the tool is damaged.
>
> Anyway, it makes good swages- the go/no-go gauge fits over with a slight amount of play- the swages are tight enough
> plus a little bit more.
>
> It's funny how the second time you do a job it takes half as long as the first time.

Morgans
February 6th 05, 01:53 AM
"Barnyard BOb -" > wrote

> Same here, 'cept I still cares who be doin' the squeezin'.
>

> SOP*
>

> *Squeezable Old Phart ;-)

You pop back up here, after weeks AWOL, and that is all you could come up
with?

You are losing your form! Hmm, too much squeezin'?

Jim (use it or lose it) in NC

Morgans
February 6th 05, 03:03 AM
"Morgans" > wrote

> You pop back up here, after weeks AWOL, and that is all you could come up
> with?
>
> You are losing your form! Hmm, too much squeezin'?
>
> Jim (use it or lose it) in NC

Forgot the g's n' smiles, in case you couldn't tell!
--
Jim in NC

Barnyard BOb -
February 7th 05, 01:42 PM
>> You pop back up here, after weeks AWOL, and that is all you could come up
>> with?
>>
>> You are losing your form! Hmm, too much squeezin'?
>>
>> Jim (use it or lose it) in NC
>
>Forgot the g's n' smiles, in case you couldn't tell!
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=--=-=--=-=-=-

Not a problem.....

You're harmless enough! <g>

SOB*

* Squeezable Ol' BOb

Gary Thomas
February 7th 05, 02:38 PM
Barnyard BOb - wrote:

> >> You pop back up here, after weeks AWOL, and that is all you could come up
> >> with?
> >>
> >> You are losing your form! Hmm, too much squeezin'?
> >>
> >> Jim (use it or lose it) in NC
> >
> >Forgot the g's n' smiles, in case you couldn't tell!
> -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=--=-=--=-=-=-
>
> Not a problem.....
>
> You're harmless enough! <g>
>
> SOB*
>
> * Squeezable Ol' BOb

Ya know Unka BOb April informs me that sob stands for "sweet ol' boy ;^)

Gary

Morgans
February 7th 05, 08:38 PM
"Gary Thomas" > wrote

> Ya know Unka BOb April informs me that sob stands for "sweet ol' boy ;^)
>
> Gary

I could think of *several* other things it could stand for.

Since this is a "G" rated forum, I won't go there. <g>
--
Jim in NC

Barnyard BOb -
February 10th 05, 11:40 PM
>> Not a problem.....
>>
>> You're harmless enough! <g>
>>
>> SOB*
>>
>> * Squeezable Ol' BOb
>
>Ya know Unka BOb April informs me that sob stands for "sweet ol' boy ;^)
>
>Gary

Never would I argue with a lady of such refinement and fine taste!

SOB

Jughugs
February 11th 05, 01:02 AM
except when he's a *rooster* snuggler

"Barnyard BOb -" > wrote in message

> >> Not a problem.....
> >>
> >> You're harmless enough! <g>
> >>
> >> SOB*
> >>
> >> * Squeezable Ol' BOb
> >
> >Ya know Unka BOb April informs me that sob stands for "sweet ol' boy ;^)
> >
> >Gary
> =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
>
> Never would I argue with a lady of such refinement and fine taste!
>

> SOB

Barnyard BOb -
February 11th 05, 05:25 AM
>> Ya know Unka BOb April informs me that sob stands for "sweet ol' boy ;^)
>>
>> Gary
>
>I could think of *several* other things it could stand for.
>
>Since this is a "G" rated forum, I won't go there. <g>

"G" rated forum?

Nonsense.. Once again, Mr. Shop Jock .....
You have confused r.a.h. with your favorite cartoon channel.

P.S.
Granted, there is little difference on occasion....
but, that ain't necessarily a bad thing. (8+Q

Barnyard BOb -

Barnyard BOb -
February 11th 05, 05:56 AM
"Jughugs" wrote:

>except when he's a *rooster* snuggler
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hahahahahaaaa.....

"Jughuggers" never do see....
the hens in the barnyard.

BOb - a leg up in the Barnyard

ChuckSlusarczyk
February 11th 05, 01:35 PM
In article >, Barnyard BOb - says...

>"Jughugs" wrote:
>
>>except when he's a *rooster* snuggler
>++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>
>Hahahahahaaaa.....
>
>"Jughuggers" never do see....
>the hens in the barnyard.

Chickens, Roosters, Hens!!! BBQ ?? Now you guys are talkin'!! LOL!!

Chuck (el Pollo loco) S

Morgans
February 11th 05, 05:49 PM
"Barnyard BOb -" > wrote

> "G" rated forum?
>
> Nonsense.. Once again, Mr. Shop Jock .....
> You have confused r.a.h. with your favorite cartoon channel.
>
> P.S.
> Granted, there is little difference on occasion....
> but, that ain't necessarily a bad thing. (8+Q
>

> Barnyard BOb -
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

That *must* be the problem. There are more looney tunes here, than in
Orlando.
--
Jim in NC

P.S.
This comeback is much better than your feeble attempt that I commented on,
in the first place! <g>
See, you "need" me!

Google