PDA

View Full Version : Portable Radio

Waduino
September 13th 05, 03:04 PM
Is anyone up on the latest Vertex 150 and ICOM A6 models?
Except for the batteries (1100mAh NiCd on the Vertex and 1650 NiMH on the
ICOM) they seem similar. The Vertex is less expensive.
Thanks.

Tim Mara
September 13th 05, 07:11 PM
Both radios have been very successful.......I've sold well over 100 of these
types and everyone seems to be pretty happy regardless of which brand they
decide on..the accessories are typically lower cost for Vertex than Icom as
are replacement batteries and so on. you can see more on these on
http://www.wingsandwheels.com/page6.htm and
http://www.wingsandwheels.com/page7.htm with links there to the
manufacturers or distributors pages
If it were me, I'd go the VXA300 over the VXA150 if only for the better
sounding speaker.....
tim
Wings & Wheels
www.wingsandwheels.com

"Waduino" > wrote in message
.. .
> Is anyone up on the latest Vertex 150 and ICOM A6 models?
> Except for the batteries (1100mAh NiCd on the Vertex and 1650 NiMH on the
> ICOM) they seem similar. The Vertex is less expensive.
> Thanks.

Mike the Strike
September 13th 05, 08:59 PM
I just upgraded to the Vertex VXA-700 that adds amateur radio 2-meter
fm band coverage in addition to airband. There are a few places I land
out where cellphone coverage is spotty but I can still hit a ham
2-meter repeater.

I know of at least one non-ham who carries a 2-meter radio for
emergency use also.

Mike

snip
> If it were me, I'd go the VXA300 over the VXA150 if only for the better
> sounding speaker.....
> tim
> Wings & Wheels
> www.wingsandwheels.com

Tim Mara
September 13th 05, 09:36 PM
This model has also been very popular with Hang Gliding and para-gliding
pilots since many don't monitor or have use for G/A radio frequencies but
many also fly G/A aircraft or gliders as well....Unfortunately, Vertex just
discontinued offering this model.......it's expected they will have a new
version of this released sometime in the near future though (VXA710??)
tim
Wings & Wheels
www.wingsandwheels.com

"Mike the Strike" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I just upgraded to the Vertex VXA-700 that adds amateur radio 2-meter
> fm band coverage in addition to airband. There are a few places I land
> out where cellphone coverage is spotty but I can still hit a ham
> 2-meter repeater.
>
> I know of at least one non-ham who carries a 2-meter radio for
> emergency use also.
>
> Mike
>
> snip
>> If it were me, I'd go the VXA300 over the VXA150 if only for the better
>> sounding speaker.....
>> tim
>> Wings & Wheels
>> www.wingsandwheels.com

Wayne Paul
September 14th 05, 12:05 AM
"Mike the Strike" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> I know of at least one non-ham who carries a 2-meter radio for
> emergency use also.

Are you encouraging non-licensed use of ham repeaters? Don't most
repeaters today require a specific sub-audio tone to key the repeater? Isn't
the reason for the tones to eliminate unlicensed operators? I have an old
Heath Kit hand held 2 meter unit that is almost useless because it doesn't
have sub-audio capabilities. I took my old hand held to Mackay, Idaho this
summer and realized that it couldn't key any relevant repeaters.

If you are going to the emergency FCC exception clause, wouldn't it get a
more rapid response if you used the law enforcement repeaters. This would
remove the "middle man" from the process.

In the US, most of the barriers to get a Amateur Radio license have been
removed. Go to Radio Shack get a current license guide read it and take the
test for the "no-code" license class. Any glider pilot should be able to
pass the test with one weekend worth of study.

Wayne
W7ADK - a Ham for the past 50 years

Tim.Ward
September 14th 05, 12:42 AM
Wayne Paul wrote:
> "Mike the Strike" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> >
> > I know of at least one non-ham who carries a 2-meter radio for
> > emergency use also.
<snip>
> Don't most
> repeaters today require a specific sub-audio tone to key the repeater? Isn't
> the reason for the tones to eliminate unlicensed operators?

No, I think it's mostly for filtering the brainless twits that are
operating simplex in the duplex region of the bandplan. Maybe
licensed, maybe not.

<snip>

> In the US, most of the barriers to get a Amateur Radio license have been
> removed. Go to Radio Shack get a current license guide read it and take the
> test for the "no-code" license class. Any glider pilot should be able to
> pass the test with one weekend worth of study.
>
> Wayne
> W7ADK - a Ham for the past 50 years

Yep, it's 55 questions spread across two tests -- you can even get the
test questions on the web. My wife started studying on a Wednesday
night, Friday we went out to dinner, Saturday we both passed the test.
It's very technical, covering such difficult material as "don't stick
your head in a microwave oven when it's on", "don't poke a fork in the
electrical outlet", and so forth. There's volunteer examining
committees almost everywhere -- you don't need to go to an FCC office.
I don't know what the test fee is now. A few years ago it was a little
over five bucks. A bargain.

Tim Ward
Tim Ward

Paul Remde
September 14th 05, 04:20 AM
Hi,

I have created a handheld radio comparison web page which may be helpful. I
also have created detailed web pages including photos of all the options for
the ICOM and Vertex radios. I have sold many of both units and they both
seem nice. One cool feature of the VXA-150 is that the LCD display is
angled 45 degrees and can be inverted so you can view it from the end of the
radio. That way it could perhaps be mounted in a tray in the instrument
panel.
http://www.soarmn.com/cumulus/radios-handheld.htm
http://www.soarmn.com/cumulus/icom.htm
http://www.soarmn.com/cumulus/vertex.htm

I recently decided on the A6 for myself. I'm very happy with it. It has a
much larger battery and display screen than the VXA-150.

Good Soaring,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com

"Waduino" > wrote in message
.. .
> Is anyone up on the latest Vertex 150 and ICOM A6 models?
> Except for the batteries (1100mAh NiCd on the Vertex and 1650 NiMH on the
> ICOM) they seem similar. The Vertex is less expensive.
> Thanks.

Mike the Strike
September 14th 05, 06:08 AM
Yes, I am encouraging non-hams to carry a 2-meter radio for
emergencies. Public service is one of the benefits the amateur
community provides and I know of few hams who would be too
thick-skinned to help a non-ham who had a problem.

Mike

(ex GW4KBF, ZS6BUF, AA4KU and AA7CT and still good for morse at 30wpm)

Avron
September 14th 05, 09:38 AM
Tim,
I am not happy with my VXA700.
The performance in 146Mhz are very bad and comunication with HG pilots
is not working.
Have you heared from other customers?
Maybe the antena is to be changed somehow without hearting the 120Mhz.

Best Gegards,
Avron Tal

Tim Mara
September 14th 05, 03:24 PM
actually, no.......most VXA700 owners I've heard from have been very
happy.....but if the radio isn't 100%, contact Yaesu(Vertex Standard) they
have always been very helpful and customer support from the manufacturer has
been excellent.
tim
Wings & Wheels
www.wingsandwheels.com

"Avron" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Tim,
> I am not happy with my VXA700.
> The performance in 146Mhz are very bad and comunication with HG pilots
> is not working.
> Have you heared from other customers?
> Maybe the antena is to be changed somehow without hearting the 120Mhz.
>
> Best Gegards,
> Avron Tal

dan
September 14th 05, 04:51 PM
Wayne Paul > wrote:

> "Mike the Strike" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> >
> > I know of at least one non-ham who carries a 2-meter radio for
> > emergency use also.
> >

> Are you encouraging non-licensed use of ham repeaters? Don't most
> repeaters today require a specific sub-audio tone to key the repeater? Isn't
> the reason for the tones to eliminate unlicensed operators? I have an old
> Heath Kit hand held 2 meter unit that is almost useless because it doesn't
> have sub-audio capabilities. I took my old hand held to Mackay, Idaho this
> summer and realized that it couldn't key any relevant repeaters.

I think most repeaters that are using PL/DPL (CTCSS/DCS) are doing so in
an effort to better reject interference. Especially in urban areas the
repeater receivers may tend to hear a lot of inadvertant activity either
because of intermodulation or good propogation or just strong signals.
Generally speaking if the repeater is operating in this mode, the
particular tone is published by the ARRL (at least in the US) and probably
broadcast by the repeater when it identifies itself. Any modern
transmitter has subaudio capability so I don't see how this would prevent
unlicensed, and intentional interference. PL/DPL is, and has always been
a means of cooperatively sharing resources.

> In the US, most of the barriers to get a Amateur Radio license have been
> removed. Go to Radio Shack get a current license guide read it and take the
> test for the "no-code" license class. Any glider pilot should be able to
> pass the test with one weekend worth of study.

I agree with this one completely. There's no reason any pilot should have
trouble passing a no-code tech exam on 1 weekend's worth of studying. I
think its only about 50 questions, multiple choice, with published
questions and answers. I see no legitamite reason to use an amateur radio
unlicensed. The act of purchasing it essentially implies that you intend
at some point to use it. So even if its an emergency at the moment, it
wasn't an emergency during the one year between when you bought it and
used it during which time there's no reason you couldn't have gone out and
gotten a license.

dan

Wayne Paul
September 14th 05, 05:33 PM
"dan" > wrote in message

> Snip ..........Any modern
> transmitter has subaudio capability so I don't see how this would prevent
> unlicensed, and intentional interference. PL/DPL is, and has always been
> a means of cooperatively sharing resources.

Dan,

I know this is true; however, modern equipment is a new concept for me. I
am a HF operator and continue to use vacuum tube base equipment that I built
in the 1960s and '70s. (Don't see a need to upgrade as long as I can keep
the stuff working.) Before my trip to Mackay, I had not tried to hit a 2
meter repeater for at least 15 years.

The technology of my sailplane, a HP-14, is consistent with the technology
of my "Ham" equipment. However, I do have it equipped with a GPS, PDA and
EW Model D data logger. (Am I slipping and bowing to modern technology?
http://www.soaridaho.com/photogallery/Mackay/17900_MSL.jpg)

I guess it is time for me to put all my 2 meter equipment into the useless
antique bin and buy some new stuff.

Wayne
HP-14 N990 "6F"
http://www.soaridaho.com/
W7ADK

> > In the US, most of the barriers to get a Amateur Radio license have been
> > removed. Go to Radio Shack get a current license guide read it and take
the
> > test for the "no-code" license class. Any glider pilot should be able
> > pass the test with one weekend worth of study.
>
> I agree with this one completely. There's no reason any pilot should have
> trouble passing a no-code tech exam on 1 weekend's worth of studying. I
> think its only about 50 questions, multiple choice, with published
> questions and answers. I see no legitamite reason to use an amateur radio
> unlicensed. The act of purchasing it essentially implies that you intend
> at some point to use it. So even if its an emergency at the moment, it
> wasn't an emergency during the one year between when you bought it and
> used it during which time there's no reason you couldn't have gone out and
> gotten a license.
>
> dan

September 14th 05, 06:36 PM
I have had a VXA700 for about 3 years and have some comments on its
use. The VXA700 is unique in that it combines a ham transceiver with an
aircraft band transceiver. A group of us at Minden like to talk a lot
in the air and, since we are mostly old hanglider and paraglider
pilots, have had ham licenses for years. We talk on the ham frequecies
a lot and do not worry other pilots. We have installed the VXA700 in
our gliders using ICOM antenna switch boxes so that the glider antennas
can be used for either the internal radios or the VXA700. This system
has worked well for us. There are a couple of caveats however. The
VXA700 is primarily a ham radio with an additional capability to
transceive the aircraft band. As such it does not generate as much
power as a typical hand held aircraft band transceiver. Secondly it was
designed for quieter environments than a glider and distorts at high
volumes so I use an optional speaker/mike clipped to a safety belt
below my mouth and ear. This works well.
I am using only the VXA700 in my SparrowHawk and find that using the
SparrowHawk antenna can communicate about 100 miles in the air on both
the ham and aircraft frequencies. It is therefore a real success in
this application and I hope that Vertex does not discontinue this dual
band radio. It would be a real loss since there is no equivalent.
Dave

Google