PDA

View Full Version : Google Earth

ttaylor at cc.usu.edu
September 15th 05, 07:11 PM
If you though Google maps were fun, try Google Earth. It often has
higher resolution than the maps and you can tilt your view into 3D.
Once in 3D, pull with your mouse and then let go and you can fly
over/through the terrain.

Hands down, the best view of the world yet. Can't wait till we can
link flight sims up with it. In much of the US view you can see down
to small bush details on the ridges. Some of the rest of the world is
not so detailed.

Tim

ContestID67
September 15th 05, 09:21 PM
See http://earth.google.com/.

bagmaker
September 16th 05, 01:43 AM
If you though Google maps were fun, try Google Earth. It often has
higher resolution than the maps and you can tilt your view into 3D.
Once in 3D, pull with your mouse and then let go and you can fly
over/through the terrain.

Hands down, the best view of the world yet. Can't wait till we can
link flight sims up with it. In much of the US view you can see down
to small bush details on the ridges. Some of the rest of the world is
not so detailed.

Tim

Google Earth is a blast! Its a shame so much of it is in low resolution format (-always over your house!) but the high res is brilliant.
Try "flying" up a mountain stream, or through really steep terrain.
We should be pushing this type to all we know, it will only get better.

Wayne

Duncan McC
September 16th 05, 03:07 AM
In article . com>,
says...
> If you though Google maps were fun, try Google Earth. It often has
> higher resolution than the maps and you can tilt your view into 3D.
> Once in 3D, pull with your mouse and then let go and you can fly
> over/through the terrain.
>
> Hands down, the best view of the world yet. Can't wait till we can
> link flight sims up with it. In much of the US view you can see down
> to small bush details on the ridges. Some of the rest of the world is
> not so detailed.

Been around for a while BTW. Was Keyhole Viewer - Google obviously
liked it so much they bought 'em.

--
Duncan

Mike Lindsay
September 16th 05, 09:25 AM
In article >, bagmaker
> writes

If you though Google maps were fun, try Google Earth. It often has
>higher resolution than the maps and you can tilt your view into 3D.
>Once in 3D, pull with your mouse and then let go and you can fly
>over/through the terrain.
>
>Hands down, the best view of the world yet. Can't wait till we can
>link flight sims up with it. In much of the US view you can see down
>to small bush details on the ridges. Some of the rest of the world is
>not so detailed.
>
>Tim

You can already see the sailplanes at Minden. But not at our field, the
res at 52.27N 001.09 E isn't good enough. Yet.

BTW I checked the long/lat for the Greenwich Observatory, and it was out
by about 200 metres.
--
Mike Lindsay

GSA
September 16th 05, 08:14 PM
Hi-res Vinon sur Verdon, France (LFNF) at 43.74N 005.78E
In 2006 the WC club class will be held here.

Hi-res gliders at Ocaņa, Spain at 39.935N 003.5W

Our own field Steinberg by Surwold at 52.955N 007.55E

Stephen
September 20th 05, 09:37 AM
"Mike Lindsay" > wrote in message
> In article >, bagmaker
> > writes
>>
> If you though Google maps were fun, try Google Earth. It often has
>>higher resolution than the maps and you can tilt your view into 3D.
>>Once in 3D, pull with your mouse and then let go and you can fly
>>over/through the terrain.
>>
>>Hands down, the best view of the world yet. Can't wait till we can
>>link flight sims up with it. In much of the US view you can see down
>>to small bush details on the ridges. Some of the rest of the world is
>>not so detailed.
>>
>>Tim
>>
> You can already see the sailplanes at Minden. But not at our field, the
> res at 52.27N 001.09 E isn't good enough. Yet.
>
> BTW I checked the long/lat for the Greenwich Observatory, and it was out
> by about 200 metres.
> --
> Mike Lindsay

Zero longitude on the WGS84 datum is about 100m east of the line marked on
the ground at the observatory.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime_Meridian

The point of the arrow on this map
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=538987&y=177320&z=0&sv=51:28:40,0:00:00&st=7&mapp=newmap.srf&searchp=newsearch.srf
ties up fairly well with the zero longitude line on Google Earth and appears
to be pretty near 100m east of the observatory. The measurement tool is a
bit limited in it's resolution at this scale.

BTW if you convert your IGC logger file to a GPX file you can go fly your
flight again. If you're lucky enough to have good Google Earth imagery
where you're flying it's pretty realistic. This page seems to explain how
although a geek in the office wrote a script to do the conversion for me.
http://www.expandingknowledge.com/Jerome/PG/Article/Accessory/Archive/2005_06_29_JeromeDaoust_Google_Earth/Main.htm#IGC_to_KML

Stephen

Martin Gregorie
September 20th 05, 11:26 AM
On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 09:37:55 +0100, Stephen wrote:

> "Mike Lindsay" > wrote in message
>> In article >, bagmaker
>> > writes
>>>
>> If you though Google maps were fun, try Google Earth. It often has
>>>higher resolution than the maps and you can tilt your view into 3D. Once
>>>in 3D, pull with your mouse and then let go and you can fly over/through
>>>the terrain.

The main problem is that Google Earth required a special piece of Windows
software to be installed. This is a problem for those of us who don't run
Windows and/or cannot install software on the machine they are using. I
recently stumbled on:

http://www.geabios.com/

Which has full earth coverage via a Flash/javascript application. Its
resolution isn't quite up to Google Earth but its easy to use. I was able
to find the CGC field without trouble though the quality was barely
enough to resolve the club house and not enough to see gliders. Still, as
a fairly fast way of looking at images without needing special software
its worth bookmarking.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

jleibacher
September 22nd 05, 12:07 PM
If you have the GoogleEarth program loaded on your Windoze system, all
of the "Worldwide Soaring Turnpoint Exchange" sites are accessible from
the kmz file available at
http://soaring.aerobatics.ws/TP/google_earth.html

Google