PDA

View Full Version : Re: advantages of cable lacing?

B2431
January 9th 05, 04:42 AM
>From: Sam Goldwasser
>Date: 1/8/2005 18:01 Central Standard Time
>
>CJT > writes:
>
>> wrote:
>> > cable lacing... a lost art.
>> > Is there anything that a laced cable-bundle does better than a
>> > tie-wrapped cable-bundle?
>> >

>> Lacing might contribute a little extra strength in the long direction.
>>
>> Plus, as others have noted, it looks better.
>
>And, you don't get flesh wounds from the cut ends of nylon cable ties. :)

You won't get scratched by cable ties if you cut them off flush with the nut.

Dan, U.S, Air Force, retired

B2431
January 10th 05, 09:48 PM
>From: (Floyd L. Davidson)
>Date: 1/9/2005 11:09 Central Standard Time
>
>"Blueskies" > wrote:
>>"Henry Kolesnik" > wrote in message
. com...
>>> No one has mentioned that cable mining is much safer and easier with laced
>cables and can be impossible with ty
>>> wrapped cables.
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> 73
>>> Hank WD5JFR
>>>

>>What is cable mining?
>
>New cables are laid into cable racks on top of old cables, and
>the old ones that are no longer used are just cut off where they
>enter the cable rack and left in place. Eventually, of course,
>the cable rack fills up with old unused cable.

When I used to work C-130s I would get called out to identify "extra" cannon
plugs that didn't seem to attach to anything. Most commonly were the 2 behind
the instrument panel that went to the old ADI and ADI amp. I wonder if they are
still there.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

B2431
January 10th 05, 09:59 PM
>From: Ross Herbert
>Date: 1/9/2005 23:57 Central Standard Time
>
>On Sun, 9 Jan 2005 07:34:13 -0800, "Ron" <no one @home.com> wrote:
>
>>BOY! These 'How-To' websites certainly bring back memories. These are the
>>methods, procedures, & materials we used when I hired on with Western
>>Electric in the early 50s. In those days we used tons of #6 & #12 cord for
>>securing gazillions of feet of telephone cables inside the telephone company
>>switching central offices. We also got lots of blisters & calluses while
>>making the cabling look neat & secure. Cable mining? YUK!
>>

>Ron, with SxS every cable run was intricately planned and the
>individual cables in a block had to occupy a pre-determined location
>in the block so that the cables would fall out at both ends without
>any cross-overs.

On my end as an avionics tech was rebuilding a harness without the benefit of a
block. What's more fun is when you get "help" from someone who thinks they know
what they are doing. In the 1970s I rewired the pilot's instrument panel of a
T-39. Each wire was cut to length, hot stamped with its number and soldered to
its firewall disconnect (there were 3). I set this aside and went home
expecting to finish it up when I returned. Imagine my surprise when there were
3 brand new connectors, a full set of wires cut to length and marked and no
sign of the work I had done. It seems a certain young sergeant decided to tidy
up my wiring by cutting all the wires to the same length.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

Matt Whiting
January 10th 05, 10:41 PM
B2431 wrote:
>>From: (Floyd L. Davidson)
>>Date: 1/9/2005 11:09 Central Standard Time
>>
>>"Blueskies" > wrote:
>>
>>>"Henry Kolesnik" > wrote in message

. com...

>>cables and can be impossible with ty

>>>What is cable mining?
>>
>>New cables are laid into cable racks on top of old cables, and
>>the old ones that are no longer used are just cut off where they
>>enter the cable rack and left in place. Eventually, of course,
>>the cable rack fills up with old unused cable.
>>

> When I used to work C-130s I would get called out to identify "extra" cannon
> plugs that didn't seem to attach to anything. Most commonly were the 2 behind
> the instrument panel that went to the old ADI and ADI amp. I wonder if they are
> still there.

Probably. Why would you take them out unless you replaced the harness?

Matt

January 13th 05, 07:09 PM
Both are real no-no's and a quick trip to being put out on the street
in the aircraft industry. An open flame in one of our work stations
will get you kicked off the flight line and a minimum of one week off
without pay for being extremely stupid and reckless endangerment.
Craig C.

Google