PDA

View Full Version : HOW MANY GLIDER PILOTS DOES IT TAKE TO CHANGE A LIGHT BULB

Mal
September 20th 05, 11:47 AM
One to change the light bulb and to post that the light bulb has been
changed.

Fourteen to share similar experiences of changing light bulbs and how
the light bulb could have been changed differently.

Seven to caution about the dangers of changing light bulbs.

Seven more to point out spelling/grammar errors in posts about
changing light bulbs.

Five to flame the spell checkers.

Three to correct spelling/grammar flames.

Six to argue over whether it's "lightbulb" or "light bulb" ...
another six to condemn those six as stupid.

Fifteen to claim experience in the lighting industry and give the
correct spelling.

Nineteen to post that this group is not about light bulbs and to
please take this discussion to a lightbulb (or light bulb) forum.

Eleven to defend the posting to the group saying that we all use light
bulbs and therefore the posts are relevant to this group.

Thirty six to debate which method of changing light bulbs is superior,
where to buy the best light bulbs, what brand of light bulbs work best
for this technique and what brands are faulty.

Seven to post URLs where one can see examples of different light
bulbs.

Four to post that the URLs were posted incorrectly and then post the
corrected URL.

Three to post about links they found from the URLs that are relevant
this group which makes light bulbs relevant to this group.

Thirteen to link all posts to date, quote them in their entirety
including all headers and signatures, and add "Me too".

Five to post to the group that they will no longer post because they
cannot handle the light bulb controversy.

Four to say "didn't we go through this already a short time ago?"

Thirteen to say "do a Google search on light bulbs before posting
questions about light bulbs"

Three to tell a funny story about their cat and a light bulb.

AND

One group lurker to respond to the original post 6 months from now and
start it all over again.

I know some will have seen it but it is Soooooo!!!!!! True {

September 20th 05, 04:35 PM
Are we talking about clear or frosted lightbulbs/light-bulbs/light
bulbs/lamps ?

01-- Zero One
September 20th 05, 04:48 PM
I don't get it..

Are we talking about light bulbs in the shop, in the trailer, or on the
tow vehicle? Nobody has light bulbs in their glider do they?

September 20th 05, 05:19 PM
Could we expand this to include lighting and backlighting within
instruments and PDA's? Then, yes, some of us have light
bulbs/lightbulbs in the glider.

September 20th 05, 05:25 PM
Oops!

I may have really meant back lighting.... not backlighting... always
wondered about that one. And if the light is really in the back, how
does it get through to the front? Would "side light" not be more
accurate?

Shawn
September 20th 05, 05:29 PM
Mal wrote:
> One to change the light bulb and to post that the light bulb has been
> changed.

One to say "Shut up and fly!"
;-)

Shawn

Eric Greenwell
September 20th 05, 05:40 PM
wrote:
> Could we expand this to include lighting and backlighting within
> instruments and PDA's? Then, yes, some of us have light
> bulbs/lightbulbs in the glider.

Yes, but PDA lights can't be changed by the pilot, so they should be
discussed in an entirely different thread. This thread is about light
bulbs in the clubhouse, and I wish people would stay on the thread topic.

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA

Doug Snyder
September 20th 05, 06:15 PM
The cost of changing light bulbs is driving people out of soaring.

Sorry, I couldn't resist

Doug

September 20th 05, 06:55 PM
Bayonet Cap or Edison Screw? 110v, 220v, AC or low voltage DC, halogen,
quartz iodine, long life low energy neon or just plain old tungsten.

God, some people are so bloody general!

By the way in South Africa they're called globes not bulbs.

ditto on the 'couldn't resist' bit.

:)

Ian

Marc Ramsey
September 20th 05, 07:09 PM
Mal wrote:
> One group lurker to respond to the original post 6 months from now and
> start it all over again.

And, you appear to have forgotten:

Five to argue that German-made light bulbs are vastly superior to any
made in Eastern Europe.

Two to argue that everyone would buy Eastern European light bulbs, if
only they had SH or AS stamped on them.

Frank Whiteley
September 20th 05, 07:59 PM
Eric Greenwell wrote:
> wrote:
> > Could we expand this to include lighting and backlighting within
> > instruments and PDA's? Then, yes, some of us have light
> > bulbs/lightbulbs in the glider.
>
> Yes, but PDA lights can't be changed by the pilot, so they should be
> discussed in an entirely different thread. This thread is about light
> bulbs in the clubhouse, and I wish people would stay on the thread topic.
>
> --
> Change "netto" to "net" to email me directly
>
> Eric Greenwell
> Washington State
> USA
We have 8-foot tubes in the club house, floods in one hangar, and
incandescents in the other hangar and loos.

Frank Whiteley

September 20th 05, 08:04 PM
Don't forget ten posts by Matt Redsell on the bulbless, self-screwing
light that Marske has been perfecting for the past 30 years, which he
has personally tested in his bathroom and found to be just as bright as
a 40 year old GE bulb.

HL Falbaum
September 20th 05, 08:07 PM
We don't need no steenking lightbulbs! Back when I was coming up, we didn't
have lightbulbs and got along just fine. That's the trouble with younger
people today--they just don't know what to do when all that "high-tech"
foolishness quits working!

--
Hartley Falbaum

"Marc Ramsey" > wrote in message
> Mal wrote:
>> One group lurker to respond to the original post 6 months from now and
>> start it all over again.
>
> And, you appear to have forgotten:
>
> Five to argue that German-made light bulbs are vastly superior to any made
> in Eastern Europe.
>
> Two to argue that everyone would buy Eastern European light bulbs, if only
> they had SH or AS stamped on them.

Bruce
September 20th 05, 08:08 PM
wrote:
> Bayonet Cap or Edison Screw? 110v, 220v, AC or low voltage DC, halogen,
> quartz iodine, long life low energy neon or just plain old tungsten.
>
> God, some people are so bloody general!
>
> By the way in South Africa they're called globes not bulbs.
>
> ditto on the 'couldn't resist' bit.
>
> :)
>
> Ian

Ian - you have clearly not been here in the recent past - otherwise you would
know that it would be pointless to change the thing anyway, because there is no
electricity at the airport anymore because some genius stole the power cable for
its copper content.

OK - so I am exaggerating, they have stolen the perimeter fence twice this year,
but so far the electricity cable is safe...

Also in the could not resist category.
--
Bruce Greeff
Std Cirrus #57

September 20th 05, 08:55 PM
OMG it looks like the soaring season in the Northern Hemisphere is
closing and we have 6 months of this to put up with.

Gee guys, go buy a copy of Condor!

September 20th 05, 09:50 PM
wrote:
> Bayonet Cap or Edison Screw? 110v, 220v, AC or low voltage DC, halogen,
> quartz iodine, long life low energy neon or just plain old tungsten.

LEDs. They are the newest, best, and use the least energy.
But it was harder to get badges using the old technology, so LEDs
shouldn't be used.

Tim.Ward
September 20th 05, 10:01 PM
Mal wrote:
> One to change the light bulb and to post that the light bulb has been
> changed.
>
> Fourteen to share similar experiences of changing light bulbs and how
> the light bulb could have been changed differently.
>
> Seven to caution about the dangers of changing light bulbs.
>
> Seven more to point out spelling/grammar errors in posts about
> changing light bulbs.
>
> Five to flame the spell checkers.
>
> Three to correct spelling/grammar flames.
>
> Six to argue over whether it's "lightbulb" or "light bulb" ...
> another six to condemn those six as stupid.
>
> Fifteen to claim experience in the lighting industry and give the
> correct spelling.
>
> Nineteen to post that this group is not about light bulbs and to
> please take this discussion to a lightbulb (or light bulb) forum.
>
> Eleven to defend the posting to the group saying that we all use light
> bulbs and therefore the posts are relevant to this group.
>
> Thirty six to debate which method of changing light bulbs is superior,
> where to buy the best light bulbs, what brand of light bulbs work best
> for this technique and what brands are faulty.
>
> Seven to post URLs where one can see examples of different light
> bulbs.
>
> Four to post that the URLs were posted incorrectly and then post the
> corrected URL.
>
> Three to post about links they found from the URLs that are relevant
> this group which makes light bulbs relevant to this group.
>
> Thirteen to link all posts to date, quote them in their entirety
> including all headers and signatures, and add "Me too".
>
> Five to post to the group that they will no longer post because they
> cannot handle the light bulb controversy.
>
> Four to say "didn't we go through this already a short time ago?"
>
> Thirteen to say "do a Google search on light bulbs before posting
> questions about light bulbs"
>
> Three to tell a funny story about their cat and a light bulb.
>
> AND
>
> One group lurker to respond to the original post 6 months from now and
> start it all over again.
>
> I know some will have seen it but it is Soooooo!!!!!! True {

You forgot the twenty one posts to argue whether light bulbs labled
110V should actually be run at 130V to improve their performance.

Tim Ward

Eric Greenwell
September 20th 05, 11:25 PM
Tim.Ward wrote:

>>AND
>>
>>One group lurker to respond to the original post 6 months from now and
>>start it all over again.
>>
>>I know some will have seen it but it is Soooooo!!!!!! True {
>

> You forgot the twenty one posts to argue whether light bulbs labled
> 110V should actually be run at 130V to improve their performance.

According to the factory specifications I currently have right in front
me, I can assure you all modern 110V bulbs work exactly the same on
130V, except they draw less current. Older 110V bulbs may be brighter at
130V, but most pilots can see just fine using the lower voltage.

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA

September 20th 05, 11:33 PM
The most dangerous part of changing a lightbulb is NOT the drive to
Walmart to buy it.

Mike

Joe
September 21st 05, 12:27 AM
FS 110V, 60 Watt Bulb, NDH.

Joe

September 21st 05, 01:40 AM
Hey ! We don't want commercial postings on RAS ! Read the rules !

COLIN LAMB
September 21st 05, 01:43 AM
Are the British light bulbs left hand thread?

For years the electrical utility companies have led the public to believe
they were in business to supply electricity to the consumer, a service for
which they charge a substantial rate. The recent accidental acquisition of
secret records from a well known power company has led to a massive research
campaign which positively explodes several myths and exposes the massive
hoax which has been perpetrated upon the public by the power companies.
The most common hoax promoted the false concept that light bulbs emitted
light; in actuality, these 'light' bulbs actually absorb DARK which is then
transported back to the power generation stations via wire networks. A more
descriptive name has now been coined; the new scientific name for the device
is DARKSUCKER.

The darksucker theory establishes the fact that dark has great mass, and
further, that dark particle (the anti-photon) is the fastest known particle
in the universe. Apparently, even the celebrated Dr. Albert Einstein did not
suspect the truth.. that just as COLD is the absence of HEAT, LIGHT is
actually the ABSENCE of DARK... scientists have now proven that light does
not really exist!

The basis of the darksucker theory is that electric light bulbs suck dark.
Take for example, the darksuckers in the room where you are right now. There
is much less dark right next to the darksuckers than there is elsewhere,
demonstrating their limited range. The larger the darksucker, the greater
its capacity to suck dark. Darksuckers in a parking lot or on a football
field have a much greater capacity than the ones in used in the home, for
example.

It may come as a surprise to learn that darksuckers also operate on a
celestial scale; witness the Sun. Our Sun makes use of dense dark, sucking
it in from all the planets and intervening dark space. Naturally, the Sun is
better able to suck dark from the planets which are situated closer to it,
thus explaining why those planets appear brighter than do those which are
far distant from the Sun.

Occasionally, the Sun actually oversucks; under those conditions, dark spots
appear on the surface of the Sun. Scientists have long studied these
'sunspots' and are only recently beginning to realize that the dark spots
represent leaks of high pressure dark because the Sun has oversucked dark to
such an extent that some dark actually leaks back into space. This leakage
of high pressure dark frequently causes problems with radio communications
here on Earth due to collisions between the dark particles as they stream
out into space at high velocity via the black 'holes' in the surface of the
Sun.

As with all manmade devices, darksuckers have a finite lifetime caused by
the fact that they are not 100% efficient at transmitting collected dark
back to the power company via the wires from your home, causing dark to
build up slowly within the device. Once they are full of accumulated dark,
they can no longer suck. This condition can be observed by looking for the
black spot on a full darksucker when it has reached maximum capacity of
untransmitted dark... you have surely noticed that dark completely surrounds
a full darksucker because it no longer has the capacity to suck any dark at
all. This is when the soaring pilots need to assemble to change the
darksucker (known as light bulb)

A candle is a primitive darksucker. A new candle has a white wick. You will
notice that after the first use the wick turns black, representing all the
dark which has been sucked into it. If you hold a pencil next to the wick of
an operating candle, the tip will turn black because it got in the way of
the dark flowing into the candle. It is of no use to plug a candle into an
electrical outlet; it can only collect dark.. it has no transmission
capabilities. Unfortunately, these primitive darksuckers have a very limited
range and are hazardous to operate because of the intense heat produced.
They can be used in all metal sailplanes, but are not good in fabric or
plastic ones.

Dark has great mass. When dark is drawn into a darksucker, friction caused
by the speed and mass of the dark particles (called anti-photons) actually
generates substantial heat, thus it is unwise to touch an operating reach a
depth of approximately fifty feet, you are in total darkness. This is
because the heavier dark sinks to the bottom of the lake, making it appear
'lighter' near the surface.

The power companies have learned to use the dark which has settled to the
bottom of lakes and rivers by pushing it through turbines, which generates
the electricity used to pump the dark toward the ocean where it may be
safely stored for their devious purposes.

To test this dark theory, all that is required for the simple test is a
closed desk drawer situated in a bright room. You know from past experience
that the tightly shut drawer is FULL of dark. Now, place your hand firmly on
the drawer's handle. Quickly yank the drawer open.. the dark immediately
disappears, demonstrating the blinding speed with which the dark travels to
the nearest darksucker!

The secrets of dark are at present known only to the power companies. Dark
must be very valuable, since they go to such lengths to collect it in vast
quantities. By some well hidden method, more modern power 'generation'
facilities have devised methods to hide their collection of dark. The older
facilities, however, usually have gargantuan piles of solidified dark in
huge fenced in areas. Visitors to these facilities are told that the huge
black piles of material are supplies of coal, but such is not the case. It
was recently discovered that the trains full of what was thought to be coal
are actually going away from the power generation facilities.

I suspect that the originator of this thread may know that there are not
light bulbs and wished only to distract the truth.

Colin

Airthug
September 21st 05, 02:38 AM
I can change a light bulb by myself.
Since Im a pilot, I just hold the lightbulb up to the socket,
And the world revolves around me.

-Dan

Stewart Kissel
September 21st 05, 03:01 AM
At 23:30 20 September 2005, Joe wrote:

>FS 110V, 60 Watt Bulb, NDH.
>

>Joe

Joe-

I heard this particular bulb has been taken up high
in the wave and has finish damage. Buyer beware.

Andreas Maurer
September 21st 05, 03:44 AM
On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 10:47:17 GMT, "Mal" > wrote:

>One to change the light bulb and to post that the light bulb has been
>changed.

I'd nominate this thread as the "Best thread of 2005" - best laugh
(also by the other positings of this thread) I had this year in RAS.

Bye
Andreas

Roger Worden
September 21st 05, 04:47 AM
Who's to say that we want a light bulb? Sometimes a heavy bulb is better,
wing loading and all that.

Don't forget that fluorescent bulbs require ballast.

Roy Clark, B6
September 21st 05, 05:40 AM
Alas, that ballast is a light one, so there will less wing loading than
with a non-fluorescent light bulb.

However, I do find the fluorscent ones perfect for a 0-.5 kt max climb
rate day as they suck the optium amount of dark out of such light
soaring conditions.

See the article by Dick Johnson in Soaring, the chapter in Derek
Piggott's Understading Gliding, and the powerpoint link at Tom Knauff's
web page.

September 21st 05, 06:23 AM
> I'd nominate this thread as the "Best thread of 2005" - best laugh
(also by the other positings of this thread) I had this year in RAS. <

Andreas,

You have contributed to this thread without throwing any additional
light on the subject. It really wasn't expected to be taken
light-heartedly.

There is a good chance the thread will survive all of the coming dark
winter nights without switching context.

:)

Roger Worden
September 21st 05, 07:12 AM
HOW MANY GLIDER PILOTS DOES IT TAKE TO CHANGE A LIGHT BULB?

As many as possible. I believe the saying is "Many hands make LIGHT work!"

Stanford Korwin
September 21st 05, 08:09 AM
At 06:18 21 September 2005, Roger Worden wrote:
>HOW MANY GLIDER PILOTS DOES IT TAKE TO CHANGE A LIGHT
>BULB?

Folk, Gentlemen and Club Managers - lend me your lugs.

There's money to be made here.

Employ five agressive feminists - who will take five
(aggresssive) hours to do the job - and CBS (or the
British Channel 4) will PAY through the nose to make
a 10 hour documentary out of it !

sta13.

Derrick Steed
September 21st 05, 10:26 AM
FS 110V, 60 Watt Bulb, NDH.

Joe=20

Joe,

We took your advice and procured these lights and fitted them throughout
the club at a nominal effort of five members per light bulb:

CFI to direct operations and advise on technique

Safety officer to point out the hazards and prescribe which techniques
are allowed

Club Secretary to negotiate with light bulb suppliers and get the best
deal

Club Web Marketing guru to document the effort and publish on the club
web site

Tugmaster to perform the essential "tug" of the light bulb to ensure
that it is secure in its fitting

HOWEVER, we have one complaint: Our first attempt to use these bulbs
resulted in blown fuses and the complete destruction of all the light
bulbs and we now find ourselves having to go on a recruiting drive for
female members so that we can fill the requirement for a sixth light
changing team member - a woman to tell all us men what we are doing
wrong.

Yours,

Frustrated, UK.

Andrew Warbrick
September 21st 05, 11:01 AM
At 05:24 21 September 2005, wrote:
>There is a good chance the thread will survive all
>of the coming dark
>winter nights without switching context.

You're new here aren't you? Before you know it this
thread will be about 'whether you get more height back
in a pullup from Vne with or without water ballast'
or 'the spinning characterstics of the K21' or '500
foot finish cylinders' or 'SSA politics' or whatever.

Don Johnstone
September 21st 05, 11:40 AM
This is not the sort of thread that sould be on this
site try urasb!!
Grow up.

At 10:06 21 September 2005, Andrew Warbrick wrote:
>At 05:24 21 September 2005, wrote:
>>There is a good chance the thread will survive all
>>of the coming dark
>>winter nights without switching context.
>>
>You're new here aren't you? Before you know it this
>thread will be about 'whether you get more height back
>in a pullup from Vne with or without water ballast'
>or 'the spinning characterstics of the K21' or '500
>foot finish cylinders' or 'SSA politics' or whatever.

Helen Evans
September 21st 05, 11:52 AM
Troubled by the impending dark
Northern Hemisphere winter nights?

Want to know those nice people in
Scotland, UK, are getting more
performance from the same lightbulbs?

Then see the October-November S&G,
out next week :-)

Helen

Editor, Sailplane & Gliding
www.gliding.co.uk

Helen Evans
September 21st 05, 11:57 AM
Troubled by impending dark winter nights
in the Northern Hemisphere?

Want to know how pilots in Scotland
are extracting more performance
from their existing lightbulbs?

Then see the October-November S&G,
published next week

:-)

Helen
Editor, Sailplane & Gliding
www.gliding.co.uk

COLIN LAMB
September 21st 05, 12:45 PM
Isn't the perceived light level affected by oxygen deficiency? At some
level of oxygen deficiency, the pilot will think the light bulb is burned
out, when actually it is his loss of oxygen.

Colin

Stanford Korwin
September 21st 05, 01:12 PM
At 11:00 21 September 2005, Helen Evans wrote:
>Troubled by impending dark winter nights
>in the Northern Hemisphere?
>
>Want to know how pilots in Scotland
>are extracting more performance
>from their existing lightbulbs?
>
>Then see the October-November S&G,
>published next week
>
>:-)
>
>Helen
>Editor, Sailplane & Gliding
>www.gliding.co.uk

They're called candles up there Helen.

Or should it be 'forkandles'.

The noo !

sta13.

Ray Lovinggood
September 21st 05, 02:15 PM
Y'all can actually get a glider pilot to change a light
bulb? Consider yourselves fortunate. In our club,
we don't want to do anything but fly. Yea, we can
get a few to tow and a few to instruct, but ask them
to change a light bulb? Not with us. We have to pay
an A&P to do it. Then we raise club dues to cover
the fees to the A&P.

Nope, we don't change no stinkin' light bulbs in our
club. We pay to have it done.

Ray Lovinggood
Carrboro, North Carolina, USA

September 21st 05, 02:39 PM
Andrew you must be really new here ........ you forgot to mention the
'relative merits/demerits of flying a PW5' thread switch

309
September 21st 05, 03:02 PM
It should be pointed out that 1-26 lightbulbs, while all quite old, are
still very functional, quite fun and require superior pilot skills to
achive badges with.

Andrew Warbrick
September 21st 05, 03:24 PM
At 13:42 21 September 2005, wrote:
>Andrew you must be really new here ........ you forgot
>to mention the
>'relative merits/demerits of flying a PW5' thread switch

Actually, I figured four examples was enough and picked
them at random. In hindsight, for topicality, maybe
I should also have had.

'How any glider built in Poland can win any contest
it's entered in without pilot intervention.'
'How, as long as your OO is bent, blind or stupid you
can claim badges with an EW barograph and any GPS at
all.'
'SSC politics', oops, sorry, had that one.
'Whether X glider can outclimb Y glider in a thermal
0.2369km wide.'

Is that cynical, bitter and twisted enough for you?
:-P

Eric Greenwell
September 21st 05, 04:37 PM
COLIN LAMB wrote:
> Isn't the perceived light level affected by oxygen deficiency? At some
> level of oxygen deficiency, the pilot will think the light bulb is burned
> out, when actually it is his loss of oxygen.

This is exactly why Bill Daniels and I recommend pilots carry and use an
oximeter at all times, even while in the club house. This is especially
important in high elevation areas, like Colorado.

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA

Eric Greenwell
September 21st 05, 04:43 PM
Ray Lovinggood wrote:

> Y'all can actually get a glider pilot to change a light
> bulb? Consider yourselves fortunate. In our club,
> we don't want to do anything but fly. Yea, we can
> get a few to tow and a few to instruct, but ask them
> to change a light bulb? Not with us. We have to pay
> an A&P to do it. Then we raise club dues to cover
> the fees to the A&P.

Our club uses Experimental light bulbs, which do not require an A&P to
change them. We can't get insurance for them, but we save enough in the
long run, it doesn't matter.

I remember that in the old days, club members were much more
resourceful, and did not mind spending all Saturday winding new
filaments, soldering them into the old sockets, and sucking out the air!
The "Instant gratification" of the younger generation has ruined this
sport, and that's why it's declining.

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA

Cliff Hilty
September 21st 05, 04:46 PM
At 13:18 21 September 2005, Ray Lovinggood wrote:
>Y'all can actually get a glider pilot to change a light
>bulb? Consider yourselves fortunate. In our club,
>we don't want to do anything but fly. >

You need to have more Youth involved in changing your
light bulbs. The lack of youth in lightbulb changing
is going to ruin this sport. Imagine all the old glider
pilots standing on chairs inthe clubhouse, with their
bad sholders, knees and backs, an accident waiting
to happen. 'Wait' Id better report this to the safety
officer!)

Great fun!

Derrick Steed
September 21st 05, 06:37 PM
You need to have more Youth involved in changing your
light bulbs. The lack of youth in lightbulb changing
is going to ruin this sport. Imagine all the old glider
pilots standing on chairs inthe clubhouse, with their
bad sholders, knees and backs, an accident waiting
to happen. 'Wait' Id better report this to the safety
officer!)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Over here in the UK many clubs run cadet schemes to encourage the
younger generation, who can't afford their own light bulbs, into the
sport. The unfortunate consequence of this is that the younger
generation are quite disdainful of the qualities of the older
incandescent type of light bulb uttering phrases like "those old bulbs
couldn't shine very far beyond the airfield boundary so their not
competitive" and "modern flourescent bulbs shine much further".

It's a disgrace, attitudes such as those expressed above are taking the
skill out of our sport. Mark my words, the youth of today couldn't
change a light bulb without a GPS and a PDA to help them find it!

Great fun!=20

Rgds,

Derrick Steed

Andreas Maurer
September 21st 05, 06:57 PM
On 20 Sep 2005 22:23:22 -0700, wrote:

>:)

I hope so... lmao. :)

Did anyone mention the PW-5 yet?

Bye
Andreas

Derrick Steed
September 21st 05, 07:02 PM
This is exactly why Bill Daniels and I recommend pilots carry and use an

oximeter at all times, even while in the club house. This is especially=20
important in high elevation areas, like Colorado.=20

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Might I suggest that you read the post on URASB regarding oxymeters and
caution regardingt their use, by Peter Saundby (the BGA medical advisor,
and retired wing commander from the RAF medical branch with significant
knowledge in regard to aeromedicine).

Rgds,

Derrick Steed

W.J. \(Bill\) Dean \(U.K.\).
September 21st 05, 08:26 PM
Peter Saundby is a Retired Air Commodore RAF Medical Branch.

He has been the BGA medical adviser since the 1960s.

He has been a glider pilot for longer than most of us care to remember,
first with the RAF and currently at the Black Mountains Gliding Club,
Talgarth.

He is a qualified RAF pilot.

His posting is on u.r.a.s.

W.J. (Bill) Dean (U.K.).
Remove "ic" to reply.

"Derrick Steed" > wrote in message
> This is exactly why Bill Daniels and I recommend pilots carry and use an
>
> oximeter at all times, even while in the club house. This is especially=20
> important in high elevation areas, like Colorado.=20
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> Might I suggest that you read the post on URASB regarding oxymeters and
> caution regardingt their use, by Peter Saundby (the BGA medical advisor,
> and retired wing commander from the RAF medical branch with significant
> knowledge in regard to aeromedicine).
>
> Rgds,
>
> Derrick Steed

Mike Lindsay
September 21st 05, 09:18 PM
In article om>, Joe
> writes
>
>FS 110V, 60 Watt Bulb, NDH.
>

>Joe

How many hours has it done? And how many launches? And does it have a
trailer?
--
Mike Lindsay

Eric Greenwell
September 21st 05, 09:35 PM
Derrick Steed wrote:
> This is exactly why Bill Daniels and I recommend pilots carry and use an
>
> oximeter at all times, even while in the club house. This is especially=20
> important in high elevation areas, like Colorado.=20
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> Might I suggest that you read the post on URASB regarding oxymeters and
> caution regardingt their use, by Peter Saundby (the BGA medical advisor,
> and retired wing commander from the RAF medical branch with significant
> knowledge in regard to aeromedicine).

Severe "thread drift" from darksucking light bulbs, but I did read the
posting, and hope Peter will elaborate on what comprises "extreme
caution should be exercised when using oximetry at altitude because it
can offer a false assurance", if he thinks pilots would be better off
leaving the oximeter at home (given the difficulty of exercising extreme
caution when hypoxic), and what he might suggest in place of an oximeter
to detect or avoid hypoxia.

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA

W.J. \(Bill\) Dean \(U.K.\).
September 21st 05, 10:06 PM
Because of the thread drift I have started a new thread "Oximetry".

W.J. (Bill) Dean (U.K.).
Remove "ic" to reply.

"Eric Greenwell" > wrote in message
> Derrick Steed wrote:
>> This is exactly why Bill Daniels and I recommend pilots carry and use an
>>
>> oximeter at all times, even while in the club house. This is
>> especially=20
>> important in high elevation areas, like Colorado.=20
>>
>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>>
>> Might I suggest that you read the post on URASB regarding oxymeters and
>> caution regardingt their use, by Peter Saundby (the BGA medical advisor,
>> and retired wing commander from the RAF medical branch with significant
>> knowledge in regard to aeromedicine).
>
> Severe "thread drift" from darksucking light bulbs, but I did read the
> posting, and hope Peter will elaborate on what comprises "extreme caution
> should be exercised when using oximetry at altitude because it can offer a
> false assurance", if he thinks pilots would be better off leaving the
> oximeter at home (given the difficulty of exercising extreme caution when
> hypoxic), and what he might suggest in place of an oximeter to detect or
> avoid hypoxia.
>
> --
> Change "netto" to "net" to email me directly
>
> Eric Greenwell
> Washington State
> USA

Derrick Steed
September 21st 05, 10:06 PM
Peter Saundby is a Retired Air Commodore RAF Medical Branch.

Oops! My sincere apology to Peter Saundby, I had no intent to demean him
by my ignorance of his rank on leaving the service.

Rgds,

Derrick Steed

Tony Verhulst
September 22nd 05, 12:37 AM
> You need to have more Youth involved in changing your
> light bulbs. The lack of youth in lightbulb changing
> is going to ruin this sport.

Nah, what you need are the new high power LED bulbs. They don't burn out
and they don't need changing. It's easy, all you need to do is to go to
the FAA (or your country's equivalent) and get it certif...... oh, never
mind.

Tony V.

September 22nd 05, 02:57 AM
>recruiting drive for female members so that we can fill the
requirement for a sixth light
>changing team member - a woman to tell all us men what we are doing wrong.
>Yours,
>Frustrated, UK.

Frustrated men looking for women?
Ooookaaayyy, there's too much light on THAT subject...

pbc76049
September 22nd 05, 05:59 AM
NONE.

Glider pilots aren't afraid of the dark...........

Scott

bumper
September 22nd 05, 07:22 AM
"Andreas Maurer" > wrote in message
> On 20 Sep 2005 22:23:22 -0700, wrote:
>
>>:)
>
> I hope so... lmao. :)
>
> Did anyone mention the PW-5 yet?
>

> Bye
> Andreas

It should be noted that the PW-5 must have special bulbs that don't suck all
that much dark. A impromptu "field test" some years back, did provide strong
evidence that PW-5 bulbs may instead suck bulls, and as such tend to be an
irresistible bovine attractant and aphrodisiac.

Speaking of bulls, a recent Bull SB strongly recommended that no matter how
many semi-hypoxic pilots one may have at their disposal to assist, one
should never to try to change anything on a bull that even remotely
resembles a bulb.

all the best,

bumper

309
September 23rd 05, 05:52 AM
Scott wrote:
NONE.

Glider pilots aren't afraid of the dark...........

Scott

EXCEPT for when they land AFTER dark...

....and somebody's waiting for them...

....with a big stick.

Mal
September 23rd 05, 10:06 AM

> Glider pilots aren't afraid of the dark...........
>
> Scott
>
> EXCEPT for when they land AFTER dark...
>
> ...and somebody's waiting for them...
>
> ...with a big stick.

AHHH the boogie man.

September 23rd 05, 09:04 PM
And after everything is said and done, some sucker is going to run to
WAL-MART to try purchase the cheapest high quality bulb possible, and
then he will run to COSTCO and demand that they sell him a cheapest
high quality socket...since they don't have one made in Germany for
that price he will whip-up his "politus interaptus" to make a call to
some friends and government entities and cry to them why everything is
made in China....

309
October 4th 05, 05:39 AM
Mal wrote:

> AHHH the boogie man.

Don't talk about OUR tow pilots that way!

Everybody knows that (in North America), you can't change a glider
light bulb without a tow pilot.

Having worked both ends of the rope, I can attest it IS much easier to
change a bulb with the assistance of a tow pilot.

Having also been flung off of the cliffs of Torrey, and having "flown
out" from a six dollar winch launch at Elsinore, I can also attest that
you can change a bulb with the assistance of a winch "pilot." However,
it's usually not a bulb that will last long...akin to a "flash blulb."

It's still fun, even in a 1-26!

-Pete

Google