PDA

View Full Version : PDA touch screen problems

Dan
September 20th 05, 03:48 PM
I've had two iPAQ 37xx series go on the blink.
The touch screen goes haywire.
When I try to re align the screen it just goes into a do-loop and never
properly re-sets.
Sometimes it gets better if I keep it turned off for a few weeks, but
that doesn't seem to work now.

Any suggestions?

John Scott
September 20th 05, 04:24 PM
I've had iPaqs act funny, acting like the screen had been touched when it
hadn't, starting up programs at random, etc.

First I put in fresh batteries. On the older models this entails opening
the case. The battery is stuck to the inside of the case back and connects
with a short flat cable to the board. One I had to finally resort to a
percussive maintenance procedure that seemed to cure the problem, i.e., a
sharp smack on the back of the base.

If you're using them with a jacket, you may need to also change the battery
in the jacket.

John Scott

"Dan" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> I've had two iPAQ 37xx series go on the blink.
> The touch screen goes haywire.
> When I try to re align the screen it just goes into a do-loop and never
> properly re-sets.
> Sometimes it gets better if I keep it turned off for a few weeks, but
> that doesn't seem to work now.
>
> Any suggestions?

Eric Greenwell
September 20th 05, 05:43 PM
Dan wrote:

> I've had two iPAQ 37xx series go on the blink.
> The touch screen goes haywire.
> When I try to re align the screen it just goes into a do-loop and never
> properly re-sets.
> Sometimes it gets better if I keep it turned off for a few weeks, but
> that doesn't seem to work now.

I assume you've tried a soft reset. Perhaps a hard reset (don't ask me
how) would be worth a try?

I've had good luck with the Ipaq forums on HP's web site. Give them a
try - tons more geeks there than in all of RAS land.

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA

Dan
September 20th 05, 05:56 PM
I changed the battery in one last February
and I've tried soft re-set. no joy!

Martin Eiler
September 20th 05, 06:44 PM
I had a similar problem with my 3765. After trying to align
the touch screen dozens of times with the back light on,
I stumbled across the fact that if I aligned the screen with
the back light off and use it with the back light off it works
fine. But anytime I turn the back light on the touch screen
alignment seems to shift and becomes rather useless but
otherwise the programs seem to run fine. Since glider flying
is typically done during daylight hours having the backlight
off is no big deal.

M Eiler

Dan
September 20th 05, 07:35 PM
Hmmmm...I'm pretty sure I always had the back light on.

I'll try it and report back.
Thanks,
Dan

Dan
September 20th 05, 07:36 PM
BTW- Awesome flight for the DDD.
I didn't enter, gave up on the conditions.
You're the Man!

KO
September 20th 05, 10:30 PM
I got that very same problem with a 3635. It happened that I used one
of those screen protectors and after a while it got all scratched and
glue got undone, so I decided to remove it.

Removing it left particles traped around the screen frame causing the
touchpad to go crazy... $50 and a quick trip to Compaq fixed it 2 years
ago...

Regards
Enrique

Dan wrote:
> I've had two iPAQ 37xx series go on the blink.
> The touch screen goes haywire.
> When I try to re align the screen it just goes into a do-loop and never
> properly re-sets.
> Sometimes it gets better if I keep it turned off for a few weeks, but
> that doesn't seem to work now.
>
> Any suggestions?

Dan
September 21st 05, 12:07 AM
I put screen protectors on both PDA's to reduce the glare, that may be
a cause for the problems
Anyone know if HP will fix old iPAQ's?

David Salmon
September 21st 05, 07:46 AM
In the UK www.ipaqrepair.co.uk can do almost any repair
or replacement.
Dave Salmon

At 23:12 20 September 2005, Dan wrote:
>I put screen protectors on both PDA's to reduce the
>glare, that may be
>a cause for the problems
>Anyone know if HP will fix old iPAQ's?

Martin Gregorie