PDA

View Full Version : IFR PANEL

Flyhighdave
January 14th 05, 03:08 PM
I am starting to plan out my panel and want to be able to have the capability
of doing basic IFR operations and approaches in the future. I want to make sure
I have room, in a logical location, for the equipment that will be needed.
So my question- What equipment will be needed on the panel for flying "light
weight" IFR and approaches?
Thanks!
David

January 16th 05, 06:39 PM
I had the same question a while ago, and I picked the brain of one the
local CFIs at my club about what he thinks is practically necessary and
what is just a perk for IFR flight. He said something along these
lines:

Airspeed
Vacuum attitude indicator
Sensitive altimeter
Electric turn coordinator
Vacuum heading indicator
Vertical speed indicator
Clock
Outside Air Temperature
Heated pitot tube
Alternate static air
Mode C Transponder
Dual NAV/COMMs
Moving map GPS with RAIM (probably with WAAS)
2 VOR indicators, 1 of which has a glide slope
Marker beacon

And only if you're feeling saucey:
DME
ADF

Also, you'll need engine and system monitoring instruments. Some of
these you can buy more than one in one box like the combo GPS/NAV/COMMs
and combo OAT/Clock. Also it might be worth looking into an electric
(no vaccum) panel with glass displays, but you should have redundant
electrical systems and back up airspeed and electric attitude indicator
outside of the primary flight display.

Jim Carriere
January 16th 05, 07:21 PM
wrote:
> I had the same question a while ago, and I picked the brain of one the
> local CFIs at my club about what he thinks is practically necessary and
> what is just a perk for IFR flight. He said something along these
> lines:
>
> Airspeed
> Vacuum attitude indicator
> Sensitive altimeter
> Electric turn coordinator
> Vacuum heading indicator
> Vertical speed indicator
> Clock
> Outside Air Temperature
> Heated pitot tube
> Alternate static air
> Mode C Transponder
> Dual NAV/COMMs
> Moving map GPS with RAIM (probably with WAAS)
> 2 VOR indicators, 1 of which has a glide slope
> Marker beacon
>
> And only if you're feeling saucey:
> DME
> ADF
>
> Also, you'll need engine and system monitoring instruments. Some of
> these you can buy more than one in one box like the combo GPS/NAV/COMMs
> and combo OAT/Clock. Also it might be worth looking into an electric
> (no vaccum) panel with glass displays, but you should have redundant
> electrical systems and back up airspeed and electric attitude indicator
> outside of the primary flight display.

Ahhh, glideslope and DME are both VERY nice perks. Nice as in, once
you've flown insruments for a while, either will put a smile on your
face, and both will make you smile more.

The clock should measure seconds. This one is a military
requirement, I'm not sure if it is formally laid out in the FARs.
Also, you left out the wet compass (backup in case your heading gyro
fails).

Morgans
January 16th 05, 08:16 PM
"Jim Carriere" > wrote

> Also, you left out the wet compass (backup in case your heading gyro
> fails).

Already there, since it is required for VFR panel.
--
Jim in NC

Gig Giacona
January 17th 05, 07:15 PM
Yeah, and I have that all instaled when I by my Citation X. But for a
homebuilt I'd take a look at
http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgFAR.nsf/0/1585AA03FF236ED6852566CF006794C0?OpenDocument

> wrote in message
ups.com...
>I had the same question a while ago, and I picked the brain of one the
> local CFIs at my club about what he thinks is practically necessary and
> what is just a perk for IFR flight. He said something along these
> lines:
>
> Airspeed
> Vacuum attitude indicator
> Sensitive altimeter
> Electric turn coordinator
> Vacuum heading indicator
> Vertical speed indicator
> Clock
> Outside Air Temperature
> Heated pitot tube
> Alternate static air
> Mode C Transponder
> Dual NAV/COMMs
> Moving map GPS with RAIM (probably with WAAS)
> 2 VOR indicators, 1 of which has a glide slope
> Marker beacon
>
> And only if you're feeling saucey:
> DME
> ADF
>
> Also, you'll need engine and system monitoring instruments. Some of
> these you can buy more than one in one box like the combo GPS/NAV/COMMs
> and combo OAT/Clock. Also it might be worth looking into an electric
> (no vaccum) panel with glass displays, but you should have redundant
> electrical systems and back up airspeed and electric attitude indicator
> outside of the primary flight display.

Google