PDA

View Full Version : Crosswind Landings... But airspeed?

Jmarc99
September 29th 05, 07:21 AM
After having read all the posts in the previous thread, no one said a word
about de right airspeed to keep along the final approach... whatever this is done
with a sideslip or crabbing.

I am wondering what should be the right airspeed (calculated or not, 1.3 Vs + wind speed)
to get in a crosswind landing.

What about a straight 90 degrees crosswind, or more?

I wouldn't turn back ON the old "Crosswind Landings" thread!
Just wish to talk about the airspeed to get according different wind speeds and gusts!

jmarc

Duncan McC
September 29th 05, 08:16 AM
In article >, jmarc99
@sympatico.ca says...
> After having read all the posts in the previous thread, no one said a word
> about de right airspeed to keep along the final approach... whatever this is done
> with a sideslip or crabbing.
>
> I am wondering what should be the right airspeed (calculated or not, 1.3 Vs + wind speed)
> to get in a crosswind landing.
>
> What about a straight 90 degrees crosswind, or more?
>
> I wouldn't turn back ON the old "Crosswind Landings" thread!
> Just wish to talk about the airspeed to get according different wind speeds and gusts!

There, yer just said it - wind speeds and gusts (namely gusts).
Nothin' to do with crosswinds (same speed applies).

Admittedly, if you're going to take a slightly longer flare (to get
'crossed up' and lined up), one might consider adding an extra knot or
two to allow for that - as well as the extra drag while yer crossed up.

--
Duncan

GSA
September 29th 05, 01:25 PM
I was learnt to adjust the airspeed in the following way:

(normal landing speed 90 kmh)

- when you need to move your stick more than halfway to the left or
right to keep the plane horizontal, you are flying too slow...

- when you try to fly 90 and airspeed is varying between 70 and 110, fly
110, so airspeed will always be more than 90.

Bert Willing
September 29th 05, 02:10 PM
Well, I learned that when I need to move the stick out of center to keep the
glider horizontal, something is wrong...

--
Bert Willing

ASW20 "TW"

"GSA" > a écrit dans le message de news:
> - when you need to move your stick more than halfway to the left or right
> to keep the plane horizontal, you are flying too slow...

Jmarc99
September 29th 05, 02:48 PM
"GSA" > wrote in message
l...
>I was learnt to adjust the airspeed in the following way:
>
> (normal landing speed 90 kmh)
>
> - when you need to move your stick more than halfway to the left or right
> to keep the plane horizontal, you are flying too slow...
>
> - when you try to fly 90 and airspeed is varying between 70 and 110, fly
> 110, so airspeed will always be more than 90.

I agree with all that, when the wind is straight on the runway!

But, I wander if this is true whatever the wind direction is 90 degrees,
or worst, let say 180 degrees. Is the rule 1,3 Vs + wind speed still right
to use,
when your final is downwind?

jmarc...

Nyal Williams
September 29th 05, 03:38 PM
Your aircraft flies through the air; that's aerodynamics.
Neither your wings nor your ASI can identify crosswind
or downwind; tha'ts geography. They connect only at
touchdown

At 14:06 29 September 2005, Jmarc99 wrote:

>'GSA' wrote in message
l...
>>I was learnt to adjust the airspeed in the following
>>way:
>>
>> (normal landing speed 90 kmh)
>>
>> - when you need to move your stick more than halfway
>>to the left or right
>> to keep the plane horizontal, you are flying too slow...
>>
>> - when you try to fly 90 and airspeed is varying between
>>70 and 110, fly
>> 110, so airspeed will always be more than 90.
>
>I agree with all that, when the wind is straight on
>the runway!
>
>But, I wander if this is true whatever the wind direction
>is 90 degrees,
>or worst, let say 180 degrees. Is the rule 1,3 Vs
>+ wind speed still right
>to use,
>when your final is downwind?
>
>jmarc...

Nyal Williams
September 29th 05, 03:39 PM
Your aircraft flies through the air; that's aerodynamics.
Neither your wings nor your ASI can identify crosswind
or downwind; tha'ts geography. They connect only at
touchdown

At 14:06 29 September 2005, Jmarc99 wrote:

>'GSA' wrote in message
l...
>>I was learnt to adjust the airspeed in the following
>>way:
>>
>> (normal landing speed 90 kmh)
>>
>> - when you need to move your stick more than halfway
>>to the left or right
>> to keep the plane horizontal, you are flying too slow...
>>
>> - when you try to fly 90 and airspeed is varying between
>>70 and 110, fly
>> 110, so airspeed will always be more than 90.
>
>I agree with all that, when the wind is straight on
>the runway!
>
>But, I wander if this is true whatever the wind direction
>is 90 degrees,
>or worst, let say 180 degrees. Is the rule 1,3 Vs
>+ wind speed still right
>to use,
>when your final is downwind?
>
>jmarc...

GSA
September 29th 05, 08:27 PM
Bert Willing wrote:
> Well, I learned that when I need to move the stick out of center to keep the
> glider horizontal, something is wrong...

With crosswind I land with 'crossed' controls, so the stick is out of
the center... but the plane isn't horizontal then, my fault

Andy
September 29th 05, 08:46 PM
Jmarc99 wrote:
> After having read all the posts in the previous thread, no one said a word
> about de right airspeed to keep along the final approach... whatever this is done
> with a sideslip or crabbing.

Beware of flying indicated airspeed during a slipping approach. The
pitot/static system on some giders will give large indicated airspeed
errors when slipping. As an extreme example my ASW-19 read zero
airspeed in a full rudder slip, probably due to the nose pot pitot.
You need to know your glider and fly the appropriate attitude rather
than the ASI.

Andy

Bert Willing
September 30th 05, 08:12 AM
With crosswind, I crab and I touch down with crossed controls. Crossed
controls on final means higher stall speed, unreliable ASI readings and is a
nono.

--
Bert Willing

ASW20 "TW"

"GSA" > a écrit dans le message de news:
> Bert Willing wrote:
>> Well, I learned that when I need to move the stick out of center to keep
>> the glider horizontal, something is wrong...
>>

> With crosswind I land with 'crossed' controls, so the stick is out of the
> center... but the plane isn't horizontal then, my fault

Jmarc99
September 30th 05, 02:55 PM
"Andy" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Jmarc99 wrote:
>> After having read all the posts in the previous thread, no one said a
>> word
>> about de right airspeed to keep along the final approach... whatever
>> this is done
>> with a sideslip or crabbing.
>

> Beware of flying indicated airspeed during a slipping approach. The
> pitot/static system on some giders will give large indicated airspeed
> errors when slipping. As an extreme example my ASW-19 read zero
> airspeed in a full rudder slip, probably due to the nose pot pitot.
> You need to know your glider and fly the appropriate attitude rather
> than the ASI.
>
> Andy

Sure Andy. I am pretty well aware about the false reading of the
indicated airspeed. I stick to visually have the right angle with horizon
at all time in order to get a steady right speed during base and final.

It seams that everybody miss the right question in this thread.. What
is the right airspeed to decide to get, when the wind is NOT perfectly
alligned with the runway?

When you have 15 knots wind, with gusts at 20...

at 0 degree with the runway , you'll calculate 1.3 Vs + 15, right ?
at 45 degree ... calculate 1.3 Vs + 15, right.. maybe ?
at 90 degree ... calculate 1.3 Vs + 15, right.. no ?
at 135 degree ... calculate 1.3 Vs + 15, no.. right.. maybe ?
at 180 degree (wind right from the back) ... calculate 1.3 Vs + 15, always?

or 1.3 Vs + 20 knots at all times, whatever the wind direction with
the runway ? Or only 1.3 Vs when the wind will be at the back during
the final ?

The questtion is.. WHAT IS THE CALCULATED SPEED
do you wish to get during the base and final, according with
the wind angle with the runway. Do you take care the gusts speed
or not in your calculation ?

Is anyone can answer that simple question?

jmarc..

Chris Reed
September 30th 05, 03:43 PM
Jmarc99 wrote:
> When you have 15 knots wind, with gusts at 20...
>
> at 0 degree with the runway , you'll calculate 1.3 Vs + 15, right ?
> at 45 degree ... calculate 1.3 Vs + 15, right.. maybe ?
> at 90 degree ... calculate 1.3 Vs + 15, right.. no ?
> at 135 degree ... calculate 1.3 Vs + 15, no.. right.. maybe ?
> at 180 degree (wind right from the back) ... calculate 1.3 Vs + 15, always?
>
> or 1.3 Vs + 20 knots at all times, whatever the wind direction with
> the runway ? Or only 1.3 Vs when the wind will be at the back during
> the final ?
>
> The questtion is.. WHAT IS THE CALCULATED SPEED
> do you wish to get during the base and final, according with
> the wind angle with the runway. Do you take care the gusts speed
> or not in your calculation ?

I can tell you what I'd do in England (that's important, because in very
different conditions, such as hot country or mountains, I'd be asking
local pilots for advice).

1. Nil wind landing speed for an airfield or flat field is 1.3 Vs. 10 kt
more for landing uphill, even more for a steep slope.

2. Plus half estimated max wind speed (i.e. gusts, not the average,
because you're giving yourself a margin for the worst that can happen).
So if the wind is 15kt gusting 20kt I'd add 10kt. Adding all the wind
speed is too much for a field landing, giving you a closer view of the
far hedge than is comfortable. I don't have different landing speeds for
runways and fields because it would be too easy to use the wrong one
under pressure.

3. If the wind is cross, there's a useful rule of thumb to reduce it by
1/6 for every 10 degrees from 90 to get the headwind component. 90
degrees cross = 0/6 (i.e. no head wind), 60 degrees cross=3/6 (half head
wind), 30 degrees cross=6/6 (full head wind). So in our example, if the
wind is 15/20kt at 60 degrees I'll treat it as gusting 10kt headwind and
add 5 kt.

4. Finally, you may need to add a margin for expected wind shear,
curlover etc - here you need advice from local pilots. If you've got
yourself into the situation where you only have a bad field you will
need to compromise, in which case remember that undershooting at flying
speed is usually worse than running into the far hedge at a lower speed.

Where I fly the fields are big and there are few hills, so input from
those who fly in more challenging areas would be worth reading.

Stefan
September 30th 05, 04:39 PM
Chris Reed wrote:

> 1. ... 10 kt more for landing uphill, even more for a steep slope.
> 2. Plus half estimated max wind speed
> 3. If the wind is cross, there's a useful rule of thumb to reduce it by
> 1/6 for every 10 degrees from 90 to get the headwind component.

And when exactly are you going to calculate all this? :-P

I'm just doing normal approach speed plus 1/2 estimated wind, no matter
what direction (except tailwind, of course). Has always worked good
enough for me.

BTW: 5 kt for upslope is enough, even for steep slopes. But when the
field is long enough, 10 kn don't hurt, either.

Stefan

Chris Reed
September 30th 05, 07:01 PM
Stefan wrote:

> And when exactly are you going to calculate all this? :-P

On downwind leg, and I won't do the full calculation. Something like 90
degrees= nil wind, 60 = half wind, 30=full headwind. In the example this
gives me +0, +5 or +10. Close enough.

If your glider floats well, like my Open Cirrus, then the extra few
knots is significant. If I land 10kt over the correct speed for the day,
I'll float more than twice as far after the roundout.

Jmarc99
October 2nd 05, 03:18 PM
"Chris Reed" > wrote in message
> On downwind leg, and I won't do the full calculation. Something like 90
> degrees= nil wind, 60 = half wind, 30=full headwind. In the example this
> gives me +0, +5 or +10. Close enough.
>
> If your glider floats well, like my Open Cirrus, then the extra few knots
> is significant. If I land 10kt over the correct speed for the day, I'll
> float more than twice as far after the roundout.

Hi Chris,
You wrote that something like 90 > degrees= nil wind. So if someone
do a slip in the wind direction in order to sayt alligned with the runway
during the final leg, the pitch angle of the sailplane is somewhere greater
than supposed! In this case, with 90 degree wind, the sailplaine have
to travel a longer way through the air mass.

Though, the sailplane fly more faster than supposed, and the pilot
doesn't use much airbrake! Is that what effectively happen in that
wind condition?

Jmarc

Chris Reed
October 3rd 05, 07:09 PM
Jmarc99 wrote:
> You wrote that something like 90 > degrees= nil wind. So if someone
> do a slip in the wind direction in order to sayt alligned with the runway
> during the final leg, the pitch angle of the sailplane is somewhere greater
> than supposed! In this case, with 90 degree wind, the sailplaine have
> to travel a longer way through the air mass.
>
> Though, the sailplane fly more faster than supposed, and the pilot
> doesn't use much airbrake! Is that what effectively happen in that
> wind condition?
>
> Jmarc

I'm not suer I understand the question properly.

My crosswind landing technique is to crab into wind, and then kick off
the drift after the roundout. This works fine for, say, a 10kt crosswind
at 90 degrees, and at that wind speed there's no real danger of wind shear.

However, if the wind is gusting 20kts or more at 90 degrees, that's
outside the demonstrated crosswind limits of my glider. Ideally, I
choose a better landing direction. If I had no choice (e.g. poor or late
field selection), then this would be one of those "interesting" landings
which test one's improvisational and piloting skills. I'd be using a
combination of crabbing and slipping, to give me less drift to kick
off,and I'd certainly add 10 kts or more to allow for gusts and wind
shear unless that seemed more dangerous than approaching at a slower speed.

I guess the point I was really trying to make is that if on every
landing you add extra speed for "safety", the result is that you never
learn to land with the minimum safe energy. This is a skill that I think
every XC pilot needs. However, in gusty or high winds, you have to allow
for the possibility of needing extra control authority or suddenly
losing 15kts airspeed through wind shear. So minimum safe energy
landings are for benign conditions.

Jmarc99
October 4th 05, 02:31 AM
"Chris Reed" > wrote in message
> Jmarc99 wrote:
>> You wrote that something like 90 > degrees= nil wind. So if someone
>> do a slip in the wind direction in order to sayt alligned with the runway
>> during the final leg, the pitch angle of the sailplane is somewhere
>> greater
>> than supposed! In this case, with 90 degree wind, the sailplaine have
>> to travel a longer way through the air mass.
>>
>> Though, the sailplane fly more faster than supposed, and the pilot
>> doesn't use much airbrake! Is that what effectively happen in that
>> wind condition?
>>
>> Jmarc
>>

> I'm not suer I understand the question properly.
>
> My crosswind landing technique is to crab into wind, and then kick off the
> drift after the roundout. This works fine for, say, a 10kt crosswind at 90
> degrees, and at that wind speed there's no real danger of wind shear.

I also prefer crabing than slipping!
I also agree that a little wind, coming from any direction, can't produce
dangerous wind shear. No wind means no real effective change in the
wind speed or wind direction.

> However, if the wind is gusting 20kts or more at 90 degrees, that's
> outside the demonstrated crosswind limits of my glider. Ideally, I choose
> a better landing direction. If I had no choice (e.g. poor or late field
> selection), then this would be one of those "interesting" landings which
> test one's improvisational and piloting skills. I'd be using a combination
> of crabbing and slipping, to give me less drift to kick off,and I'd
> certainly add 10 kts or more to allow for gusts and wind shear unless that
> seemed more dangerous than approaching at a slower speed.
>
> I guess the point I was really trying to make is that if on every landing
> you add extra speed for "safety", the result is that you never learn to
> land with the minimum safe energy.

No need for extra speed when there is no wind at all! I agree again
that is important to learn to land with the minimum safe energy..!

> This is a skill that I think every XC pilot needs. However, in gusty or
> high winds, you have to allow for the possibility of needing extra control
> authority or suddenly losing 15kts airspeed through wind shear. So minimum
> safe energy landings are for benign conditions.

The real point to talk in this thread is "how much" speed to add to
the 1.3 Vstall speed, depending on the wind speed? Especially if
the wind come from a side or the back!

All pilots seams to say that only the heading portion of the wind
should be took in care, when choosing the landing (circuit) speed.

Is someone might agree that a 15-20 knots wind, at low altitude
(like the final leg) may produce windshear that may lower the
the relative airspeed, instead of increasing it, even when the
wind come frome the back?

This is the real question. I think that very experienced glider
pilots, lurkink in this newsgroup, might have someting very
interesting to say about that!

Sure, the good thing is to land upwind, anyway! But, is that
right to reduce the speed to only 1.3 Vstall when you realize,
when doing the base leg, you're going to land tailwind?

Thanks Chris, for your interest to this question!

Jmarc...

HL Falbaum
October 4th 05, 02:33 PM
"Jmarc99" > wrote in message
.. .

> [...]
> the 1.3 Vstall speed, depending on the wind speed? Especially if
> the wind come from a side or the back!
>
> All pilots seams to say that only the heading portion of the wind
> should be took in care, when choosing the landing (circuit) speed.
>
> Is someone might agree that a 15-20 knots wind, at low altitude
> (like the final leg) may produce windshear that may lower the
> the relative airspeed, instead of increasing it, even when the
> wind come frome the back?
>
> This is the real question. I think that very experienced glider
> pilots, lurkink in this newsgroup, might have someting very
> interesting to say about that!
>
> Sure, the good thing is to land upwind, anyway! But, is that
> right to reduce the speed to only 1.3 Vstall when you realize,
> when doing the base leg, you're going to land tailwind?
>
> Thanks Chris, for your interest to this question!

One answer is based on understanding what the "reported wind" really means.
15kt gusting to 25 kt means that the average speed over time (I have
forgotten the exact time interval but about 30 to 60 sec) is 15kt. If peak
gusts are 25kt, then that means it can fall as low as 5kt on the average,
and for some moments can be 0kt. The gusts come from turbulence, and can
therefore come from *any* direction. The danger is not so much the 25kt gust
but the 5kt lull. Hence the advice to add the gust differential to the
approach speed. Some advise "half the wind plus half the gust
differential"--more or less the same result. What is needed is to remain
above stall speed until touchdown! Thankfully, the wind is much less very
close to the ground---3-4 ft (1 meter). My glider stalls at 38kt --1.3 Vs
is therefore ~ 50kt. So, with a "negative" (opposite direction) gust, I
would be very close to stall without the extra velocity.

As to the tailwind question---the wing only knows airspeed. But the landing
field does not move with the wind, so the ground speed is eventually
important. The pilot will be tempted to slow at this point as the ground
speed seems high. Then there is the loss of control issue then the glider is
rolling on the ground, but has little aerodynamic control due to low
airspeed. Finally there is a wind shear issue at about 200 ft. If you are
landing downwind, you will descend into a decreasing tailwind, and inertial
forces will give you an increase in airspeed. It is best to be on final
approach before descending into this shear, which BTW, always exists. It is
just the magnitude that varies. This is so speed adjustments can be made
without the complications of turning--i.e. raised stall speed, increased
workload, etc.

Sooner or later, you will have to slow down in order to land and stop. So
fly the "no wind" approach speed and add the gust differential, until it is
time to roundout and land. Use the brakes if the tailwind is leading to a
imminent loss of control.

Happy Landings
Hartley Falbaum
ASW27B KF USA

Don Johnstone
October 4th 05, 03:34 PM
At 14:00 30 September 2005, Jmarc99 wrote:
>It seams that everybody miss the right question in
>this thread.. What
>is the right airspeed to decide to get, when the wind
>is NOT perfectly
>alligned with the runway?
>
>When you have 15 knots wind, with gusts at 20...
>
>at 0 degree with the runway , you'll calculate 1.3
>Vs + 15, right ?
>at 45 degree ... calculate 1.3 Vs + 15, right.. maybe
>?
>at 90 degree ... calculate 1.3 Vs + 15, right.. no
>?
>at 135 degree ... calculate 1.3 Vs + 15, no.. right..
>maybe ?
>at 180 degree (wind right from the back) ... calculate
>1.3 Vs + 15, always?
>
>or 1.3 Vs + 20 knots at all times, whatever the wind
>direction with
>the runway ? Or only 1.3 Vs when the wind will be
>at the back during
>the final ?
>
>The questtion is.. WHAT IS THE CALCULATED SPEED
>do you wish to get during the base and final, according
>with
>the wind angle with the runway. Do you take care the
>gusts speed
>or not in your calculation ?
>
>Is anyone can answer that simple question?
>
>jmarc..

Given that the above calculation is made with regard
to the surface wind and that as far as the glider is
concerned until it touches down the direction of the
surface wind is of no consequence to the aircraft
(the relative airflow experienced by a flying glider
has no connection to the wind direction) I fail to
see why the question is being asked. The simple answer
is you have made the calculation based on the windspeed.
Why do you need to worry about your groundspeed once
you have touched down?

Jmarc99
October 4th 05, 06:41 PM
"Don Johnstone" > wrote in
message ...
> Given that the above calculation is made with regard
> to the surface wind and that as far as the glider is
> concerned until it touches down the direction of the
> surface wind is of no consequence to the aircraft
> (the relative airflow experienced by a flying glider
> has no connection to the wind direction) I fail to
> see why the question is being asked. The simple answer
> is you have made the calculation based on the windspeed.
> Why do you need to worry about your groundspeed once
> you have touched down?

Hi Don,

Indeed, the real concern is not about groundspeed...! It's
about the right flying speed to get on the final leg, depending
to the wind direction.

The rule to calculate the airspeed is to increase it if the
wind direction is facing the aircraft, but the rule seams to
say that we shouldn't add anyting when the wind come the
back. Sure, we would not substract anyting to1.3 Vstall
in this case.

Should we add the same amount of knots to 1.3 Vstall,
regardless of the wind direction for every circuit legs?

Jmarc99
October 4th 05, 07:30 PM
"HL Falbaum" > wrote in message
> One answer is based on understanding what the "reported wind" really
> means. 15kt gusting to 25 kt means that the average speed over time (I
> have forgotten the exact time interval but about 30 to 60 sec) is 15kt. If
> peak gusts are 25kt, then that means it can fall as low as 5kt on the
> average, and for some moments can be 0kt. The gusts come from turbulence,
> and can therefore come from *any* direction. The danger is not so much the
> 25kt gust but the 5kt lull. Hence the advice to add the gust differential
> to the approach speed. Some advise "half the wind plus half the gust
> differential"--more or less the same result. What is needed is to remain
> above stall speed until touchdown! Thankfully, the wind is much less very
> close to the ground---3-4 ft (1 meter). My glider stalls at 38kt --1.3 Vs
> is therefore ~ 50kt. So, with a "negative" (opposite direction) gust, I
> would be very close to stall without the extra velocity.

As you said, I totally agree that "The gusts come from turbulence, and can
therefore come from *any* direction". So, the aircraft may also come
"close to stall without the extra velocity" with a tailwind situation
on the final leg!

But the rule says to add nothing in a tailwind situation? Probalbly because
the decreasing windspeed when closer to the ground will effectively produce
an increasing airspeed to the aircraft. But this doesn't looks right to me,
to fly just 1.3 Vstall on the base leg and the final leg, just because I'm
going
to land tailwind!

Am I right to say that extra speed stands for a security reason. It is not
simply to compensate the facing wind component. Otherwise, a pilot
may simply use less airbrake to get the same glidepath on the final leg!..

Thought, why not adding the extra knots to the 1.3 Vstall, whatever the
wind direction? Even tailwind?

As the glider come closer to the runway, still plenty of time to reduce
the airspeed before landing!

> As to the tailwind question---the wing only knows airspeed. But the
> landing field does not move with the wind, so the ground speed is
> eventually important. The pilot will be tempted to slow at this point as
> the ground speed seems high. Then there is the loss of control issue then
> the glider is rolling on the ground, but has little aerodynamic control
> due to low airspeed. Finally there is a wind shear issue at about 200 ft.
> If you are landing downwind, you will descend into a decreasing tailwind,
> and inertial forces will give you an increase in airspeed. It is best to
> be on final approach before descending into this shear, which BTW, always
> exists. It is just the magnitude that varies. This is so speed adjustments
> can be made without the complications of turning--i.e. raised stall speed,
> increased workload, etc.
>
> Sooner or later, you will have to slow down in order to land and stop. So
> fly the "no wind" approach speed and add the gust differential, until it
> is time to roundout and land. Use the brakes if the tailwind is leading to
> a imminent loss of control.

Sure!

> Happy Landings
> Hartley Falbaum
> ASW27B KF USA

HL Falbaum
October 4th 05, 07:54 PM
"Jmarc99" > wrote in message

> As you said, I totally agree that "The gusts come from turbulence, and can
> therefore come from *any* direction". So, the aircraft may also come
> "close to stall without the extra velocity" with a tailwind situation
> on the final leg!
>
> But the rule says to add nothing in a tailwind situation? Probalbly
> because
> the decreasing windspeed when closer to the ground will effectively
> produce
> an increasing airspeed to the aircraft. But this doesn't looks right to
> me,
> to fly just 1.3 Vstall on the base leg and the final leg, just because I'm
> going
> to land tailwind!
>
> Am I right to say that extra speed stands for a security reason. It is
> not
> simply to compensate the facing wind component. Otherwise, a pilot
> may simply use less airbrake to get the same glidepath on the final leg!..
>
> Thought, why not adding the extra knots to the 1.3 Vstall, whatever the
> wind direction? Even tailwind?

Yes! Exactly the point I was trying to make in a long-winded fashion in
the paragraph below.

>> As to the tailwind question---the wing only knows airspeed. But the
>> landing field does not move with the wind, so the ground speed is
>> eventually important. The pilot will be tempted to slow at this point as
>> the ground speed seems high. Then there is the loss of control issue then
>> the glider is rolling on the ground, but has little aerodynamic control
>> due to low airspeed. Finally there is a wind shear issue at about 200 ft.
>> If you are landing downwind, you will descend into a decreasing tailwind,
>> and inertial forces will give you an increase in airspeed. It is best to
>> be on final approach before descending into this shear, which BTW, always
>> exists. It is just the magnitude that varies. This is so speed
>> adjustments can be made without the complications of turning--i.e. raised
>> stall speed, increased workload, etc.

So--here is the conclusion---for all situations

>> Sooner or later, you will have to slow down in order to land and stop. So
>> fly the "no wind" approach speed *and* add the gust differential, until
>> it is time to roundout and land. Use the brakes if the tailwind is
>> leading to a imminent loss of control.
>
> Sure!
>
>> Happy Landings
>> Hartley Falbaum