PDA

View Full Version : ELT location for V2C

October 3rd 05, 04:30 PM
Jumping into the ELT fray ...

I'm trying to figure out the best place to install one in my V2C.

The ELT is an ACK Technologies model E-01, a yellow brick
2.75"x2.75"x7.75". The glider's previous owner had tried it where the
transponder battery currently lives (he removed the ELT to make room
for the XPDR). The cockpit annunciator is still installed in the small
panel just above the tow release and pedal adjustment handles.

I'm thinking it would go best in the turtleneck above and just aft of
the wing spars. This would require a cable extension for the
annunciator. But I don't know what it would take to secure the unit to
the underside of the fuse top.

Advance thanks

~ted/2NO

Eric Greenwell
October 3rd 05, 05:13 PM
wrote:

> Jumping into the ELT fray ...
>
> I'm trying to figure out the best place to install one in my V2C.
>
> The ELT is an ACK Technologies model E-01, a yellow brick
> 2.75"x2.75"x7.75". The glider's previous owner had tried it where the
> transponder battery currently lives (he removed the ELT to make room
> for the XPDR). The cockpit annunciator is still installed in the small
> panel just above the tow release and pedal adjustment handles.
>
> I'm thinking it would go best in the turtleneck above and just aft of
> the wing spars. This would require a cable extension for the
> annunciator. But I don't know what it would take to secure the unit to
> the underside of the fuse top.

Do you have room in the gear well area? Some gliders do, and it might
involve less modifications than the fuselage top, plus it wouldn't take
up baggage space.

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA

Armando Pucci
October 3rd 05, 06:33 PM
Dear ~ted/2NO

On mine V2cM the ACK ELT was originally installed by factory on the left
side of baggage compartment just BEFORE of
the wing spars using original ACK support with a quick release latch; The
remote control is installed on the panel.

Sds VoLo.

Armando R. Pucci
Ventus 2cM (AR)

01-- Zero One
October 10th 05, 02:52 PM
Hmmm?? In front of the wing spar sounds to me like you now have a nice
forward moving projectile in the event of a forward moving collision.

I also have one of these units and I had it installed behind the spar
because 1) that was where I could fit it in and 2) there was a natural
barrier (the spar) to keep it from hitting me in a "sudden stop".

Larry

"Armando Pucci" > wrote in message
:

> Dear ~ted/2NO
>
> On mine V2cM the ACK ELT was originally installed by factory on the left
> side of baggage compartment just BEFORE of
> the wing spars using original ACK support with a quick release latch; The
> remote control is installed on the panel.
>
> Sds VoLo.
>
> Armando R. Pucci
> Ventus 2cM (AR)

Ted Wagner
October 11th 05, 03:46 AM
Larry, how did you mount it? I mean, how specifically is it attached to the fuse?
"01-- Zero One" > wrote in message ...
Hmmm?? In front of the wing spar sounds to me like you now have a nice forward moving projectile in the event of a forward moving collision.

I also have one of these units and I had it installed behind the spar because 1) that was where I could fit it in and 2) there was a natural barrier (the spar) to keep it from hitting me in a "sudden stop".

Larry

"Armando Pucci" > wrote in message :

> Dear ~ted/2NO
>
> On mine V2cM the ACK ELT was originally installed by factory on the left
> side of baggage compartment just BEFORE of
> the wing spars using original ACK support with a quick release latch; The
> remote control is installed on the panel.
>
> Sds VoLo.
>
> Armando R. Pucci
> Ventus 2cM (AR)

01-- Zero One
October 11th 05, 04:13 PM
Ted,

I hope I did not mislead you. I fly an LS-3a, not a V2C. I was
responding generally about the dangers of flying projectiles in the
cockpit.

I mounted it ..er.. uh.. . I mean, it was mounted by the A&P by
screwing the retaining plate and straps to the baggage compartment tray
with a backing plate below the tray for strength. In the LS-3a, there
was just enough room to get it in next to the glider batteries.

Larry

"01-- Zero One" > wrote in message

Hmmm?? In front of the wing spar sounds to me like you now have a nice
forward moving projectile in the event of a forward moving collision.

I also have one of these units and I had it installed behind the spar
because 1) that was where I could fit it in and 2) there was a natural
barrier (the spar) to keep it from hitting me in a sudden stop.

Larry

"Armando Pucci" > wrote in message
:

> Dear ~ted/2NO
>
> On mine V2cM the ACK ELT was originally installed by factory on the
left
> side of baggage compartment just BEFORE of
> the wing spars using original ACK support with a quick release latch;
The
> remote control is installed on the panel.
>
> Sds VoLo.
>
> Armando R. Pucci
> Ventus 2cM (AR)

Google