PDA

View Full Version : RAH newsgroup

January 20th 05, 01:21 AM
I know Google says their groups site is easier to use since they
revamped it, so I guess I'm missing something. The only way I can find
RAH now is because I had a shortcut to it from before the time of the
"improvement." When I look up alt.rec, there is no subcategory called
"alt.rec.aviation., much less "homebuilt." What am I doing wrong?

Neal

Greybeard
January 20th 05, 01:30 AM
On 19 Jan 2005 17:21:10 -0800, wrote:

>I know Google says their groups site is easier to use since they
>revamped it, so I guess I'm missing something. The only way I can find
>RAH now is because I had a shortcut to it from before the time of the
>"improvement." When I look up alt.rec, there is no subcategory called
>"alt.rec.aviation., much less "homebuilt." What am I doing wrong?
>
>Neal

the alt doesn't belong there. Easiest way is to go to groups, type
rec.aviation.homebuilt and click search. Then you get another screwed
up page, but you should be able to figure out how to deal with that.

John Ammeter
January 20th 05, 01:48 AM
On 19 Jan 2005 17:21:10 -0800, wrote:

>I know Google says their groups site is easier to use since they
>revamped it, so I guess I'm missing something. The only way I can find
>RAH now is because I had a shortcut to it from before the time of the
>"improvement." When I look up alt.rec, there is no subcategory called
>"alt.rec.aviation., much less "homebuilt." What am I doing wrong?
>
>Neal

Uh.... RAH stands for Rec.Aviation.Homebuilt

John

January 20th 05, 01:51 AM
Thanks,Grey, but if you didn't already know about RAH, how would a
newbie know to type in rec.aviation,homebuilt? I originally found this
group by browsing. From what I see, you could never find RAH just by
looking around like before. Maybe I'm wrong. Thanks for the reply.
Neal

Colin W Kingsbury
January 20th 05, 03:46 AM
> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Thanks,Grey, but if you didn't already know about RAH, how would a
> newbie know to type in rec.aviation,homebuilt? I originally found this
> group by browsing. From what I see, you could never find RAH just by
> looking around like before. Maybe I'm wrong. Thanks for the reply.
> Neal

No, I agree 100%. I'm amazed at how completely they bungled what seemed like
a simple service. Time to short the stock I suppose.

-cwk.

Greybeard
January 20th 05, 05:26 AM
On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 03:46:32 GMT, "Colin W Kingsbury"
> wrote:

> wrote in message
oups.com...
>> Thanks,Grey, but if you didn't already know about RAH, how would a
>> newbie know to type in rec.aviation,homebuilt? I originally found this
>> group by browsing. From what I see, you could never find RAH just by
>> looking around like before. Maybe I'm wrong. Thanks for the reply.
>> Neal
>>

>No, I agree 100%. I'm amazed at how completely they bungled what seemed like
>a simple service. Time to short the stock I suppose.

Google is sorta thoroughly screwed. I stopped using it when this so
called beta came up. Had to break down and get a real news server, I
can even get the binary groups. (alt. binaries.sounds.midi for the
wise asses that are going to have comments.)

Greybeard

January 20th 05, 05:51 AM
Greybeard wrote:

> Google is sorta thoroughly screwed. I stopped using it when this so
> called beta came up.

Agree. They are following what has become a classic pattern in the
computer industry... 'improving' themselves right out of business :-)
-R.S.Hoover

ET
January 20th 05, 06:12 AM
wrote in news:1106185886.186948.284650
@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

> Thanks,Grey, but if you didn't already know about RAH, how would a
> newbie know to type in rec.aviation,homebuilt? I originally found this
> group by browsing. From what I see, you could never find RAH just by
> looking around like before. Maybe I'm wrong. Thanks for the reply.
> Neal

it's in the rec.* herarchy, NOT the alt.* herarchy.... that's where you
messed it.

ET

January 20th 05, 06:43 AM
John Ammeter wrote:
> On 19 Jan 2005 17:21:10 -0800, wrote:
>
> >I know Google says their groups site is easier to use since they
> >revamped it, so I guess I'm missing something. The only way I can
find
> >RAH now is because I had a shortcut to it from before the time of
the
> >"improvement." When I look up alt.rec, there is no subcategory
called
> >"alt.rec.aviation., much less "homebuilt." What am I doing wrong?
> >
> >Neal
>

> Uh.... RAH stands for Rec.Aviation.Homebuilt
>
> John

Yeah, I know......what's your point?

Neal

January 20th 05, 09:24 AM
wrote:
> John Ammeter wrote:
> > On 19 Jan 2005 17:21:10 -0800, wrote:
> >
> > >I know Google says their groups site is easier to use since they
> > >revamped it, so I guess I'm missing something. The only way I can
> find
> > >RAH now is because I had a shortcut to it from before the time of
> the
> > >"improvement." When I look up alt.rec, there is no subcategory
> called
> > >"alt.rec.aviation., much less "homebuilt." What am I doing wrong?
> > >
> > >Neal
> >

> > Uh.... RAH stands for Rec.Aviation.Homebuilt
> >
> > John
>

> Yeah, I know......what's your point?
>
> Neal

OK, I think I get your point. Same thing the other guys were telling
me. For some reason I thought rec. was a subtopic of alt. I see now
that it's not. Thanks guys. Even, though, it's still not as easy to
get to as it once was.

Neal

Jerry Springer
January 20th 05, 12:22 PM
wrote:
> John Ammeter wrote:
>
>>On 19 Jan 2005 17:21:10 -0800, wrote:
>>

>>>I know Google says their groups site is easier to use since they
>>>revamped it, so I guess I'm missing something. The only way I can
>
> find
>
>>>RAH now is because I had a shortcut to it from before the time of
>
> the
>
>>>"improvement." When I look up alt.rec, there is no subcategory
>
> called
>
>>>"alt.rec.aviation., much less "homebuilt." What am I doing wrong?
>>>
>>>Neal
>>

>>Uh.... RAH stands for Rec.Aviation.Homebuilt
>>
>>John
>

> Yeah, I know......what's your point?
>
> Neal

That you were stupid for putting ".alt"?

Greybeard
January 20th 05, 05:12 PM
On 19 Jan 2005 21:51:53 -0800, wrote:

>Greybeard wrote:
>>

>> Google is sorta thoroughly screwed. I stopped using it when this so
>> called beta came up.

>Agree. They are following what has become a classic pattern in the
>computer industry... 'improving' themselves right out of business :-)

Maybe someday someone will open an Ebook and have it ask if they want
to read the odd pages or the even ones. Saves 50% in reading time
that way.

Greybeard

Gig Giacona
January 20th 05, 05:51 PM
> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Thanks,Grey, but if you didn't already know about RAH, how would a
> newbie know to type in rec.aviation,homebuilt? I originally found this
> group by browsing. From what I see, you could never find RAH just by
> looking around like before. Maybe I'm wrong. Thanks for the reply.
> Neal

What about searching for "Aviation Homebuilt" on the main Goggle groups
page?

January 22nd 05, 07:35 AM
Yes !

Neal

February 13th 05, 03:14 PM
Personally, I've never found Google useful. I've always come back to
hotbot.com advanced search...

http://www.hotbot.com/adv.asp?prov=Inktomi&tab=web

....with an occasional check of altavista.com...

http://www.altavista.com/

Good hunting.

Dave

February 16th 05, 07:15 PM
Gig Giacona wrote:
> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > Thanks,Grey, but if you didn't already know about RAH, how would a
> > newbie know to type in rec.aviation,homebuilt? I originally found
this
> > group by browsing. From what I see, you could never find RAH just
by
> > looking around like before. Maybe I'm wrong. Thanks for the
reply.
> > Neal
> >

> What about searching for "Aviation Homebuilt" on the main Goggle
groups
> page?

You can search for "rec.aviation.homebuilt" in the main search
window.

But if you don't know the name of the group you have to find
some group in the "rec." heirachy and then click on the name
"rec.foo...." at the top of the page to get a list of other
groups, then step up or down the heirachy.

The main problem here is finding what is clickable on a webpage
that is pretty busy with lots of distractions.

--

FF

Gig 601XL Builder
February 16th 05, 09:14 PM
> wrote in message
oups.com...

> Gig Giacona wrote:
>> > wrote in message
>> oups.com...
>> > Thanks,Grey, but if you didn't already know about RAH, how would a
>> > newbie know to type in rec.aviation,homebuilt? I originally found
> this
>> > group by browsing. From what I see, you could never find RAH just
> by
>> > looking around like before. Maybe I'm wrong. Thanks for the
> reply.
>> > Neal
>> >

>> What about searching for "Aviation Homebuilt" on the main Goggle
> groups
>> page?
>
> You can search for "rec.aviation.homebuilt" in the main search
> window.
>
> But if you don't know the name of the group you have to find
> some group in the "rec." heirachy and then click on the name
> "rec.foo...." at the top of the page to get a list of other
> groups, then step up or down the heirachy.
>
> The main problem here is finding what is clickable on a webpage
> that is pretty busy with lots of distractions.
>
> --

If you go to Google Groups and search "Aviation Homebuilt" the very first
thing you see is

Related groups: rec.aviation.homebuilt

Google