PDA

View Full Version : Where would you go?

For Example John Smith
October 5th 05, 09:59 PM
I don't mean to start an intrastate civil war, but I've got a business trip
coming up where I will be in San Francisco one day, then have an empty day,
and then be in either LA or San Diego. I'd like to fly on that empty day.
Where would you go & why?

October 5th 05, 10:05 PM
Minden.

You can then say you have been there!!!

www.soarminden.com

Al

laister49
October 5th 05, 10:20 PM
wrote:
> Minden.
>
> You can then say you have been there!!!
>
> www.soarminden.com
>
> Al

I really like Crazy Creek. www.Crazycreekgliders.com They'll take
good care of you.

C-

October 6th 05, 01:50 AM
For Example John Smith wrote:
> I don't mean to start an intrastate civil war, but I've got a business trip
> coming up where I will be in San Francisco one day, then have an empty day,
> and then be in either LA or San Diego. I'd like to fly on that empty day.
> Where would you go & why?

I would go to Disneyland. They have a hang-glider ride there, which is
probably a better value than driving multiple hours to some FBO in the
middle of fall to get a $100 sled ride.

Stewart Kissel
October 6th 05, 02:05 AM
I would start learning how to read wave forecasts...if
a good day was happening at Cal City or Minden....FL350
might be more fun then Disneyland :)

Greg Arnold
October 6th 05, 02:16 AM
Windhaven Glider Rides at Santa Ynez, about 30 miles NW of Santa
Barbara. Just off the 101 freeway on your way from SF to LA, it is as
likely as anywhere else to be soarable this time of year. There aren't
many other places where a 5 minute tow will put you over 4,000'
mountains just 5 miles from the ocean.

Gliderrides.com, or 805-688-2517.

wrote:
> For Example John Smith wrote:
>
>>I don't mean to start an intrastate civil war, but I've got a business trip
>>coming up where I will be in San Francisco one day, then have an empty day,
>>and then be in either LA or San Diego. I'd like to fly on that empty day.
>>Where would you go & why?
>

> I would go to Disneyland. They have a hang-glider ride there, which is
> probably a better value than driving multiple hours to some FBO in the
> middle of fall to get a $100 sled ride.

October 6th 05, 03:05 AM
This time of year, my vote would be Warner Springs (Sky Sailing
(http://www.skysailing.com/)), near San Diego.

Haven't been to Minden (yet) but I have been to WS once and it was
beautiful and the folks were great.

-ted/2NO

bumper
October 6th 05, 05:49 AM
"laister49" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> wrote:
>> Minden.
>>
>> You can then say you have been there!!!
>>
>> www.soarminden.com
>>
>> Al
>
> I really like Crazy Creek. www.Crazycreekgliders.com They'll take
> good care of you.
>
> C-

I really liked Crazy Creek as well. Too bad they've closed. All the best to
Jim and Connie.

bumper
Minden NV (but got my glider add-on at Crazy Creek)

Marc Ramsey
October 6th 05, 06:23 AM
bumper wrote:
> I really liked Crazy Creek as well. Too bad they've closed. All the best to
> Jim and Connie.

Unless you know something that the rest of us don't, Crazy Creek will be
closing sometime in the next year or two, but is not currently closed...

Marc

bumper
October 6th 05, 07:46 AM
"Marc Ramsey" > wrote in message
t...
> bumper wrote:
>> I really liked Crazy Creek as well. Too bad they've closed. All the best
>> to Jim and Connie.
>
> Unless you know something that the rest of us don't, Crazy Creek will be
> closing sometime in the next year or two, but is not currently closed...
>
> Marc

No, I don't. I was told it was closed, but haven't visited there for some
time. Glad I was told wrong. Thanks Marc.

bumper

October 6th 05, 03:13 PM
Crazy Creek is generally open only on weekends which is very
unfortunate as it is one of the best places to soar in Northern
California. I had three cross country flights there in Feb last year,
one over 300k!. They also have wave conditions that occur with a
variety of wind directions.

Williams is another good choice and open every day except Tuesday.
bumper wrote:
> "Marc Ramsey" > wrote in message
> t...
> > bumper wrote:
> >> I really liked Crazy Creek as well. Too bad they've closed. All the best
> >> to Jim and Connie.
> >
> > Unless you know something that the rest of us don't, Crazy Creek will be
> > closing sometime in the next year or two, but is not currently closed...
> >
> > Marc
>
> No, I don't. I was told it was closed, but haven't visited there for some
> time. Glad I was told wrong. Thanks Marc.
>
> bumper

For Example John Smith
October 6th 05, 05:37 PM
Thanks all.
Looks like it's Minden or Warner Springs.
I've been to Minden (got a double Lennie to show for it) but haven't been to
Warner Springs.
Minden's got a better rental fleet....
No votes for Truckee?

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> This time of year, my vote would be Warner Springs (Sky Sailing
> (http://www.skysailing.com/)), near San Diego.
>
> Haven't been to Minden (yet) but I have been to WS once and it was
> beautiful and the folks were great.
>
> -ted/2NO

Marc Ramsey
October 6th 05, 05:55 PM
For Example John Smith wrote:
> Thanks all.
> Looks like it's Minden or Warner Springs.
> I've been to Minden (got a double Lennie to show for it) but haven't been to
> Warner Springs.
> Minden's got a better rental fleet....
> No votes for Truckee?

Truckee has no gliders for rent, and closes for the season next week...

Marc

Bill Daniels
October 7th 05, 03:30 AM
"For Example John Smith" > wrote in message
> Thanks all.
> Looks like it's Minden or Warner Springs.
> I've been to Minden (got a double Lennie to show for it) but haven't been
> Warner Springs.
> Minden's got a better rental fleet....
> No votes for Truckee?

I flew at Warner Springs a couple of winters ago. The thermal soaring was
good even in December. I got a 3.5 hour flight with tops at 10,500 on
December 27th, 2003. They tell me that they get wave, thermal, ridge and
convergence all year long.

Nice winter climate, very good local accommodations. VERY nice people too.

Bill Daniels

Google