PDA

View Full Version : Circular Aircraft Hangar

Jeff
October 6th 05, 07:55 PM
I remember seeing some time back a hangar design that used a circular
dome style building. It showed GA airplanes all backed in and seemed
like it used the space well. A Google search on round, circular, and
dome aircraft hangars did not lead me to the hangar that I was looking
for.

Anyone remember seeing something like this?

Jeff

Gig 601XL Builder
October 6th 05, 08:16 PM
"Jeff" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I remember seeing some time back a hangar design that used a circular
> dome style building. It showed GA airplanes all backed in and seemed
> like it used the space well. A Google search on round, circular, and
> dome aircraft hangars did not lead me to the hangar that I was looking
> for.
>
> Anyone remember seeing something like this?
>
> Jeff

Google for aircraft hanger dome

This is the first one.

www.monolithic.com/gallery/commercial/hangar_door/

Jeff
October 6th 05, 08:19 PM
I saw that one during my search, it is not the one I saw before.

Jeff

Gig 601XL Builder
October 6th 05, 08:19 PM
"Jeff" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I remember seeing some time back a hangar design that used a circular
> dome style building. It showed GA airplanes all backed in and seemed
> like it used the space well. A Google search on round, circular, and
> dome aircraft hangars did not lead me to the hangar that I was looking
> for.
>
> Anyone remember seeing something like this?
>
> Jeff

And before I hit send I meant to add that at one time they had a drawing as
you describe but I don't see it on their site now.

jerry wass
October 6th 05, 08:26 PM
Jeff wrote:
> I remember seeing some time back a hangar design that used a circular
> dome style building. It showed GA airplanes all backed in and seemed
> like it used the space well. A Google search on round, circular, and
> dome aircraft hangars did not lead me to the hangar that I was looking
> for.
>
> Anyone remember seeing something like this?
>
> Jeff

No, I Haven't seen one, but building the doors would be a bi**h, also
fittin' the sheet iron roof. then , if land is expensive, how do you
get the ones pointed out the sides,OUT??

Jerry
October 6th 05, 10:09 PM
The link below may be helpful.

http://www.armadilloproducts.com/carbuild.html

Jerry in NC

"Jeff" > wrote in message
ups.com...
>I saw that one during my search, it is not the one I saw before.
>
> Jeff

Montblack
October 6th 05, 10:24 PM
("Jeff" wrote)
>I remember seeing some time back a hangar design that used a circular
> dome style building. It showed GA airplanes all backed in and seemed
> like it used the space well. A Google search on round, circular, and
> dome aircraft hangars did not lead me to the hangar that I was looking
> for.

http://www.smithairfield.com/postwar.html
"In 1966, a significant innovation in hangar architecture and engineering
took place with the construction of the Carousel Hangar. Clark W. Smith of
Decatur, Indiana, patented the design of the Carousel Hangar in 1965. Mr.
Smith built this prototype four-place hangar in 1966, and it is the only
example of this design ever built."

http://www.armadilloproducts.com/carbuild.html
Carousels for square hangars.

Montblack

Bob Chilcoat
October 6th 05, 10:33 PM
At Stroudsburg-Pocono airport (N53) there are three hangars that are domes
with doors that flip up into the roof of the dome, like big eyelids. Nice
looking hangars that each hold one plane. Not space efficient, but they
look strong. Don't know who made them or when.

"Jeff" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I remember seeing some time back a hangar design that used a circular
> dome style building. It showed GA airplanes all backed in and seemed
> like it used the space well. A Google search on round, circular, and
> dome aircraft hangars did not lead me to the hangar that I was looking
> for.
>
> Anyone remember seeing something like this?
>
> Jeff

October 7th 05, 02:03 AM
> http://www.smithairfield.com/postwar.html
> "In 1966, a significant innovation in hangar architecture and engineering
> took place with the construction of the Carousel Hangar. Clark W. Smith of
> Decatur, Indiana, patented the design of the Carousel Hangar in 1965. Mr.
> Smith built this prototype four-place hangar in 1966, and it is the only
> example of this design ever built."

I saw some hangars very much like these at the Monterey CA airport some
years
ago. IIRC they were scheduled to be torn down (they were rather
decrepit).

David Johnson

Darrel Toepfer
October 7th 05, 05:01 AM
Jerry wrote:

> The link below may be helpful.
>
> http://www.armadilloproducts.com/carbuild.html

How many planes fit out a 45'x14" bifold door?

Morgans
October 7th 05, 06:31 AM
"Darrel Toepfer" > wrote

> How many planes fit out a 45'x14" bifold door?

As many as you want, one at a time?

Really, what is the question? One of wingspan? Most any single, twin of 6
seats or less, except sailplanes, would be my estimation, upon looking at
some typical specs.
--
Jim in NC

Darrel Toepfer
October 7th 05, 11:11 AM
Morgans wrote:
> Darrel Toepfer wrote

>>How many planes fit out a 45'x14" bifold door?
>
> As many as you want, one at a time?
>
> Really, what is the question? One of wingspan? Most any single, twin of 6
> seats or less, except sailplanes, would be my estimation, upon looking at
> some typical specs.

Read the typo on the print, it has the door as 14 inches tall...
So many will fit width wise, none height wise...

rpellicciotti
October 7th 05, 02:08 PM
A google for "carousel hangar" returned lots of hits including this one
recently featured in AOPA magazine:

http://www.vicsaircraft.com/carouselinfo.htm

Rick Pellicciotti
LightSportFlying.com

Robert Bates
October 7th 05, 03:43 PM
There was a posting for them on Barnstormers.com this morning.

ROTATING CAROUSEL HANGERS . $34,500 . OFFERED FOR SALE . 4 place turntable
saves storage costs by 30% or more. 1 bi-fold door instead of 4, 1/4 ramp
space . Contact Jon E. Fowler - NORTH STAR AVIATION OF HALLOCK INC located
Hallock, MN USA . Telephone: 218-843-5084 . Posted October 6, 2005 . Show
all Ads posted by this Advertiser . Recommend This Ad to a Friend . Send a
Message

"rpellicciotti" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> A google for "carousel hangar" returned lots of hits including this one
> recently featured in AOPA magazine:
>
> http://www.vicsaircraft.com/carouselinfo.htm
>
> Rick Pellicciotti
> LightSportFlying.com

Steve Easudes
October 7th 05, 04:29 PM
There is one in use at the airport in Ann Arbor Michigan. IFIRR it has 8
or 10 sides making it somewhat dome-like and has one bifold door. There
is a large turntable inside which allows the whole building to be filled
and any plane removed without bothering the others.

Steve

Morgans
October 7th 05, 10:54 PM
"Darrel Toepfer" > wrote

> Read the typo on the print, it has the door as 14 inches tall...
> So many will fit width wise, none height wise...

I see your nit, now! I missed it completely.
--
Jim in NC

Errol Groff
October 8th 05, 11:44 PM
On 6 Oct 2005 11:55:45 -0700, "Jeff" >
wrote:

>I remember seeing some time back a hangar design that used a circular
>dome style building. It showed GA airplanes all backed in and seemed
>like it used the space well. A Google search on round, circular, and
>dome aircraft hangars did not lead me to the hangar that I was looking
>for.
>
>Anyone remember seeing something like this?
>
>Jeff

Perhaps this is the web site you are thinking of. Formed in place
over inflatable "baloon" concrete domes

http://www.monolithicdome.com/

Errol Groff

Instructor, Machine Tool Department