mag. Therefore I will only be using one side of the Dual Magneto.

I'm wondering the BEST way to neutralize the non-used side of the magneto.
I could:

#1 simply ground the P-Lead Is there any reason this is a Bad idea?

#2 Remove one coil and/or set of points and/or distributer gear - will
removing the coil leave the mag "Unbalanced" in any manner, Magnetically
Physically or otherwise?

I know that having a magnet and coil means that I am creating electrons, I
am just wondering the best way to neutralize them?

Thanks in advance

doug

October 7th 05, 04:40 PM
Doug,
If you have an 0-360 A1F6D (dual mag lycoming) you can run one mag in
the dual mag hole.It can be done very easily.....although it will be a
bit pricey. You will need to buy one single mag and the appropriate
gears. Contact Aero-Sport power and they have all the info for what
you need. They will also take your dual mag housing as a core and give
you a pretty good price for it. It makes a very clean installation.
Dave Mader
Sheridan, Wyo.

Doug Palmer wrote:
> I have an need to disable one side of a dual magneto for my project.
> Essentially I am installing a Electroair system to fire one set of plugs and
> retaining the magneto to fire the second. My initial plan was to find a
> single mag to replace the dual but apparently the nature of the gearing that
> drives this Dual Magneto makes it impossible to replace it with a single
> mag. Therefore I will only be using one side of the Dual Magneto.
>
> I'm wondering the BEST way to neutralize the non-used side of the magneto.
> I could:
>
> #1 simply ground the P-Lead Is there any reason this is a Bad idea?
>
> #2 Remove one coil and/or set of points and/or distributer gear - will
> removing the coil leave the mag "Unbalanced" in any manner, Magnetically
> Physically or otherwise?
>
> I know that having a magnet and coil means that I am creating electrons, I
> am just wondering the best way to neutralize them?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> doug

Doug Palmer
October 7th 05, 11:48 PM
The Dual is for a Continental Tiara Six Cylinder. The drive turns at 3/4X
Crankshaft speed where as most six cylinder engines turn at 1.5X Crankshaft
speed, They compensated for this by having four magnets on the Magneto
armature instead of two. I've researched it pretty thoroughly, there is no
single that will fit so I need to negate one side of the dual.

Thanks, Doug

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Doug,
> If you have an 0-360 A1F6D (dual mag lycoming) you can run one mag in
> the dual mag hole.It can be done very easily.....although it will be a
> bit pricey. You will need to buy one single mag and the appropriate
> gears. Contact Aero-Sport power and they have all the info for what
> you need. They will also take your dual mag housing as a core and give
> you a pretty good price for it. It makes a very clean installation.
> Dave Mader
> Sheridan, Wyo.
>
> Doug Palmer wrote:
> > I have an need to disable one side of a dual magneto for my project.
> > Essentially I am installing a Electroair system to fire one set of plugs
and
> > retaining the magneto to fire the second. My initial plan was to find a
> > single mag to replace the dual but apparently the nature of the gearing
that
> > drives this Dual Magneto makes it impossible to replace it with a single
> > mag. Therefore I will only be using one side of the Dual Magneto.
> >
> > I'm wondering the BEST way to neutralize the non-used side of the
magneto.
> > I could:
> >
> > #1 simply ground the P-Lead Is there any reason this is a Bad idea?
> >
> > #2 Remove one coil and/or set of points and/or distributer gear - will
> > removing the coil leave the mag "Unbalanced" in any manner, Magnetically
> > Physically or otherwise?
> >
> > I know that having a magnet and coil means that I am creating electrons,
> > am just wondering the best way to neutralize them?
> >
> > Thanks in advance
> >
> > doug

Morgans
October 8th 05, 01:10 AM
"Doug Palmer" > wrote

> I know that having a magnet and coil means that I am creating electrons, I
> am just wondering the best way to neutralize them?

If you don't have a complete circuit, you can't make electrons. So, in
short, just take out any part of the system so that the electrons can't
flow. My choice would be the points. If you don't have points to make and
break, you will not have a collapsing magnetic field trying to make a big
spark.
--
Jim in NC

Google