PDA

View Full Version : Re: Ack! My ACK!

Fastglasair
July 10th 03, 04:26 PM
"Well done, good and faithful servant" Mike, you handled this newsgroup
"situation" admirablely in my opinion (no doubt not worth much here). This web
board is in desperate need of a modicum of civility (a large dose is probably
to much to ask). It goes way beyond normal or reasonable bantering (the dialoge
your posting provoked was mild by comparison to many others I've seen). Some
here need to "get a life" and not find some sick gratification in insulting
others just so they can be a "legend in their own minds". I'm sure I've said to
much and the firestorm of insults will ensue. Fire away, There is only one
opinion I care about and that is "HIS". If you dont agree with "HIM" its of
absoluteley no consequence. <><
Glasair 1-RG (240HP)

Barnyard BOb --
July 10th 03, 05:27 PM
(Fastglasair) wrote:

>"Well done, good and faithful servant" Mike, you handled this newsgroup
>"situation" admirablely in my opinion (no doubt not worth much here). This web
>board is in desperate need of a modicum of civility (a large dose is probably
>to much to ask). It goes way beyond normal or reasonable bantering (the dialoge
>your posting provoked was mild by comparison to many others I've seen). Some
>here need to "get a life" and not find some sick gratification in insulting
>others just so they can be a "legend in their own minds". I'm sure I've said to
>much and the firestorm of insults will ensue. Fire away, There is only one
>opinion I care about and that is "HIS". If you dont agree with "HIM" its of
>absoluteley no consequence. <><
>Glasair 1-RG (240HP)

Hey, Goody Two Shoes...
Yes, you have said too much. However...
hope you feel better now that you've vented
your 'holier than thou' spleen.

FWIW...
When I want your OT personal religious input, I will ask.
Until then, civility and political correctness would deem that you
save such remarks for the appropriate forum. No need to chance
offending atheists, Muslims, Jews, Buddhists, etcetera with public
pronouncements of pompous, personal, self serving religious dogma.

BTW...
Time to hold your tongue and practice tolerance of those that you are
so loath to tolerate. Religious hypocrisy really ****es people off !!

Barnyard BOb -- I'm soooo sensitive.

Fastglasair
July 10th 03, 09:11 PM
>What kind of engine do you have on your glassair? An O-470? I just can't
>think
>of anything that gives 240 hp.

I have an Angle valve Lyc. IO-360-C1D6, (forward facing injector) Stock it
would put out 200HP. Its not stock, on the test stand/ Dyno it put out 241HP
@2700 rpm. It has 10:1 compression (helicopter) pistons, its balanced,
blueprinted, flowed and ported. It also has an modified cam profile to improve
valve timing and one LSE electronic ignition. I am also using ram air. At max
cruise of 225 knotts I expect to gain an inch or 2 of mp. I expect to do my
first flight in 3 to 5 weeks. I started this project over 18 years ago. I took
a 10 year hiatus since I was lacking time and money to finish it. I will have
about 4,500 hours in it when finished.

Russell Kent
July 10th 03, 10:26 PM
Fastglasair wrote:

> I have an Angle valve Lyc. IO-360-C1D6, (forward facing injector) Stock it
> would put out 200HP. Its not stock, on the test stand/ Dyno it put out 241HP
> @2700 rpm.

On the dyno was it driving all of the accessories? Stated a different way: Is
that 241 an expected prop HP number when installed?

> It has 10:1 compression (helicopter) pistons, its balanced, blueprinted, flowed
> and ported. It also has an modified cam profile to improve valve timing and one
> LSE electronic ignition. I am also using ram air. At max cruise of 225 knotts I
> expect to gain an inch or 2 of mp.

An inch or two of mercury from ram air at 225 kts? I think you're dreaming.
Ideally speaking, dynamic pressure at 200 MPH is 104 pounds per square foot or
about .722 psi. Each inch of mercury is 2.04 psi, so I'd expect just slightly less
than one inch of MP *if* you had a perfect intake diffuser. Since a perfect
intake diffuser is somewhat unlikely, I'd limit my expectations to about 0.5 inch
MP.

> I expect to do my first flight in 3 to 5 weeks. I started this project over 18
> years ago. I took
> a 10 year hiatus since I was lacking time and money to finish it. I will have
> about 4,500 hours in it when finished.

Oy, that's a lot of persistence.

Russell Kent

Fastglasair
July 10th 03, 10:43 PM
FWIW...
> Everybody that has been here any length of time accepts the
> fact I am an intolerant curmudgeon among other undesirable
> traits and qualities.

Presumptuous statement, I and probably we just "tolerate" you, except when you
have something significant to say.

>P.C. & Civility Maybe you can separate them, but the US Govt and I cannot.

P.C. pertains to actual attitudes(opinions, beliefs etc.) which others have
deemed appropriate or inappropriate. Civility pertains to how you communicate.

>If you don't agree with "HIM" its of absolutely no consequence. <><"

I should have added the implied words, no consequence (to me).

>Judge not, lest ye be judged... comes to mind

Granted, I can't judge your motives but it is reasonable to make judgments on
actions or statements.

I guess you could call it baiting, however, I just hoped the normal dialogue
might get better.

>Best you look up how to spell all these many words before you
>get on your high horse requesting me to look up anything.
>You're coming off pretty damn lame and stupid.

My only "sin" here is typing too fast and not doing a good proofread, since
there is no spell check.

Bob, I don't know how you carry such a heavy chip on your shoulder. You must be
starting to look like the proverbial Hunch back of...

wmbjk
July 10th 03, 11:13 PM
"Russell Kent" > wrote in message

> Otherwise, pretty good BOb. I'd give it an A. :-)

I'll up that to A+ Bob, since I don't want to judje your spelling lest
mine be judjed. Anyway, you might cut Mr. goody port-and-polished a
little slack. After all, his first flight is coming up soon, and you can
hardly blame him for currying favor if he thinks that might help. Plus,
he claims to know the opinion of HIM, so I'm hoping he'll tell the rest
of us the answer to that SUV thing. :-)

Wayne (affiliated with the Church of the
Get-a-Friend-to-Stand-by-with-an-Axe-and-Fire-Extinguisher)

Russell Kent
July 11th 03, 06:40 PM
DBlumel wrote:

> >On the dyno was it driving all of the accessories?
>
> The only item missing was my 60 amp B&C alternator. I'll loose a little from
> that.

Yeah, about 1.5 to 2 HP, depending on how much electrical load you have.

> BTW I am using a Whirlwind graphite wrapped hardwood laminate core 3 blade C.S.
> prop. 73 inch blades with a S.S. leading edge. It uses a McCauley hub.

While the 3 blade props are generally more aesthetically pleasing, a coarser
pitched 2 bladed prop will always be more efficient (i.e. faster for the same HP).

Russell Kent wrote:
>An inch or two of mercury from ram air at 225 kts? I think you're dreaming.

DBlumel replied:

> How about compared to the normal Glasair filter box arrangement? I am going
> straight in without a filter and did make a very nice flowed custom diffuser
> out of billet aluminum.

Well, if you followed Kuchemann & Weber on the shape of the diffuser then you'll
possibly get close to the ideal pressure recovery. But that's still only slightly
less than 1" MP. I haven't any data on the existing Glasair filter box
arrangement, so I cannot comment on how your intake may perform relative to the
Glasair filter box. It's entirely possible that there is a 2" MP difference
between them.

Do you think operating that carefully built ("customized", perhaps?) IO-360 without
an air filter is really a wise choice? I'd be concerned about dust and debris
damaging the engine.

Russell Kent

Fastglasair
July 11th 03, 07:14 PM
>While the 3 blade props are generally more aesthetically pleasing, a coarser
>pitched 2 bladed prop will always be more efficient (i.e. faster for the same
>HP).

I had other concerns which provoked me to go 3 blade. With a max prop diam. of
73 inches (ground clearance) I felt a 2 blade prop of that diameter would not
effectively handle all the horsepower.

>Do you think operating that carefully built ("customized", perhaps?) IO-360
>without
>an air filter is really a wise choice? I'd be concerned about dust and
>debris
>damaging the engine.

It's not my preference, no room to put in a filter and still have room for the
ram also. I intend to change oil very frequently. and I do have a S.S. screen
in the intake to stop large stuff (more than 1/16th inch). I also plan to be
very careful about dust conditions etc.

Corrie
July 11th 03, 07:26 PM
"Rude, crude, and socially unacceptable - and those are his good
points," as my uncle the oilman used to say.

Warren & Nancy > wrote in message >...
> Barnyard BOb -- wrote:
>
> > FWIW...
> > Everybody that has been here any length of time accepts the
> > fact I am an intolerant curmudgeon among other undesirable
> > traits and qualities.
> >

> Now that is the understatement of the millenium!

Russell Kent
July 14th 03, 05:05 PM
Russell Kent wrote:

> An inch or two of mercury from ram air at 225 kts? I think you're dreaming.
> Ideally speaking, dynamic pressure at 200 MPH is 104 pounds per square foot or
> about .722 psi. Each inch of mercury is 2.04 psi, so I'd expect just slightly less
> than one inch of MP *if* you had a perfect intake diffuser. Since a perfect
> intake diffuser is somewhat unlikely, I'd limit my expectations to about 0.5 inch
> MP.

Richard Tasker replied:

> On the planet where I live it is more like each inch of mercury is 0.5 psi (.4912 to be specific). That means your stated .722 psi is in fact approximately 1.47 inches of mercury - certainly within his estimated inch or 2.

Hmmm. Maybe I'm wrong. I figured that a standard day was 29.92 " Hg = 14.7 psi. Therefore 1" Hg = 2.04 psi. And there's where I went wrong. It's the other way around: 2.04 " Hg = 1 psi. So Dick's 1.47 " Hg is correct.
Again, that's predicated on a perfect diffuser, which is doubtful. As a SWAG, 1" Hg (70% of ideal) is probably a reasonable goal (at 200 mph); at 225kts I'd use a linear extrapolation of 1.3" Hg. 2" Hg at 225 kts is still a
dream, however. :-)

Russell "always willing to learn" Kent

Barnyard BOb --
July 14th 03, 09:50 PM
>Russell Kent wrote:
>
>> An inch or two of mercury from ram air at 225 kts? I think you're dreaming.
>> Ideally speaking, dynamic pressure at 200 MPH is 104 pounds per square foot or
>> about .722 psi. Each inch of mercury is 2.04 psi, so I'd expect just slightly less
>> than one inch of MP *if* you had a perfect intake diffuser. Since a perfect
>> intake diffuser is somewhat unlikely, I'd limit my expectations to about 0.5 inch
>> MP.
>
>Richard Tasker replied:
>
>> On the planet where I live it is more like each inch of mercury is 0.5 psi (.4912 to be specific). That means your stated .722 psi is in fact approximately 1.47 inches of mercury - certainly within his estimated inch or 2.
>
>Hmmm. Maybe I'm wrong. I figured that a standard day was 29.92 " Hg = 14.7 psi. Therefore 1" Hg = 2.04 psi. And there's where I went wrong. It's the other way around: 2.04 " Hg = 1 psi. So Dick's 1.47 " Hg is correct.
>Again, that's predicated on a perfect diffuser, which is doubtful. As a SWAG, 1" Hg (70% of ideal) is probably a reasonable goal (at 200 mph); at 225kts I'd use a linear extrapolation of 1.3" Hg. 2" Hg at 225 kts is still a
>dream, however. :-)
>
>Russell "always willing to learn" Kent

FWIW....
My old style Van's ram air delivers appx .8" MP at 180 mph.

Barnyard BOb --

Bart D. Hull
July 15th 03, 04:04 AM
Jim,

WOW! I don't think I'd take this as lightly as you. I would have a
serious problem with someone that you know carries a gun and sends
you a target to wear.

I have a AZ concealed permit and took the "class" and have a whole bunch
of respect as far as dealing with other people and a gun. I rarely
carry, only when necessary for safety, not to toy with.

Look for the antenna installation on my Tango II pages soon!!!!!!!
--
Bart D. Hull

Tempe, Arizona

Check http://www.inficad.com/~bdhull/engine.html for my Subaru Engine