PDA

View Full Version : fiberglass leaf springs

IAN DONALDSON
October 10th 05, 02:24 PM
G'day

I am looking for some laminated fiberglass spring to us on the tailwheel of
my Murphy Rebel.

Could anyone advise me where I might purchase some?

thanks and regards

Ian Donaldson

Cy Galley
October 10th 05, 04:37 PM
My 1993 Buick Regal has a rear spring made of composite. Might get one of
these and cut it down. Buick has over 130,000 miles without the rear spring
giving problems.

--
Cy Galley - Chair,
AirVenture Emergency Aircraft Repair
"IAN DONALDSON" > wrote in message
> G'day
>
> I am looking for some laminated fiberglass spring to us on the tailwheel
> of my Murphy Rebel.
>
> Could anyone advise me where I might purchase some?
>

> thanks and regards
>

> Ian Donaldson

Wallace Berry
October 10th 05, 08:06 PM
In article <RUv2f.471892$xm3.226915@attbi_s21>,
"Cy Galley" > wrote:

> My 1993 Buick Regal has a rear spring made of composite. Might get one of
> these and cut it down. Buick has over 130,000 miles without the rear spring
> giving problems.
>
> --
> Cy Galley - Chair,
> AirVenture Emergency Aircraft Repair
> A Service Project of Chapter 75
> EAA Safety Programs Editor - TC
> EAA Sport Pilot

Chevy Astro van has composite real leaf springs. Probably get 'em nearly
free at a junk yard.

There's a Stits SA6b that has composite leaf springs off an Astro van as
gear legs. Pictures are here:
http://1000aircraftphotos.com/Contributions/1050A.htm

Jeff
October 12th 05, 02:42 PM
Ian,

Why not lay-up one yourself? It is really not that difficult or time
consuming. Many people have laid up their own fiberglass main landing
gears and tail springs. If you are interested I can give you some
basic instructions.

Jeff
Dragonfly N41GK

October 13th 05, 01:24 PM
Jeff,
I once had a Quickie ( Q1 ) that broke a tailspring. ( don't they
all ). Anyhew, I replace it with one designed for a Dragonfly and
never had a problem with it after that. The Dragonfly spring was a
different material of construction and shape than the Quickie's. I
don't remember where I ordered the Dragonfly spring, but I would like
to get another one for another project. Do you know who sells them
nowadays? Thanks

Neal

Google