PDA

View Full Version : PIK 20B Flaps and Canopy Seals

Mike Leach
October 12th 05, 12:11 AM
Just found this discussion. For the canopy seal I fitted
some soft tubing of the right diameter in the slot
and connected up the pump as normal. The tube is held
in place by a secondary seal on top made of very soft
open cell foam with a sticky back which is sold in
diy shops as a draught excluder. There is no interference
with the closing or latching of the canopy and the
sideways motion on the hinge side has not wiped it
off.
In local soaring when speeds are lower I don't bother
to use the pump - only when going fast.

On the question of use of flaps on take off and landing,
I have put all my thoughts on my website at
http://www.zen37635.zen.co.uk/flap_system.html
You can also access this page from http://www.pik20.gliderpilot.ne
t/ and then choose Flap System

The only point I disagree with is trying to make a
two point landing. If you do this. the angle of attack
is too high and you will float and bounce all the way
down the field - especially if not very flat [tarmac
runway may let you get away with it].

I have been flying the PIK 20B since 1996 and I believe
it is a wonderful machine once you understand the differences.
Certainly I have made very short landings in small
fields where others have said they would not have been
able to do that in many popular gliders. On one occasion
I found a wire fence across the landing run but because
the tail was not on the ground I was able to turn through
almost 90 deg with rudder and miss the fence - inspite
of the ineffectiveness of a small rudder.
Keep the tail high to reduce the AOA until the speed
has bled/braked off and landing is easy.

Maule Driver
October 13th 05, 04:53 PM
Thanks for the photos - they bring back a lot of sweet memories of my
old 20b. I even have fond memories of the trailer...

I don't know if you saw my discription of 2 pointing the PIK earlier in
this forum. I would suggest trying the 2 point technique where you
simultaneously crank the flaps and flare (thanks UH). It was a
challenge for me at first because I found cranking and flaring at the
same time a PIO inducing event. But once mastered, I found it to be the
best way to *precisely* hit a spot. In fact, I used the technique
exclusively once learned.

As you observe, it is less manueverable with the tailwheel planted
(generally a good thing) but full forward stick will fix that
suprisingly well. I was once carrying a little too much speed
approaching the airport fence (didn't want to push it to the end for a
relight)and clamped down on what was an apparently frayed brake cable.
The cable broke. I dumped a wing tip while pushing forward and did the
nicest little ground loop. It was a pretty low speed event but if the
tailwheel hadn't come up I probably would have lost the tail.

Personally, I kept my PIK on 2 wheels and no flaps as much as possible.
The flaps came down at liftoff and during approach but I spent very
little time with the flaps deployed and rolling.

Now if I just had a fixed tailwheel on the Maule....

Mike Leach wrote:
> The only point I disagree with is trying to make a
> two point landing. If you do this. the angle of attack
> is too high and you will float and bounce all the way
> down the field - especially if not very flat [tarmac
> runway may let you get away with it].
>
> I have been flying the PIK 20B since 1996 and I believe
> it is a wonderful machine once you understand the differences.
> Certainly I have made very short landings in small
> fields where others have said they would not have been
> able to do that in many popular gliders. On one occasion
> I found a wire fence across the landing run but because
> the tail was not on the ground I was able to turn through
> almost 90 deg with rudder and miss the fence - inspite
> of the ineffectiveness of a small rudder.
> Keep the tail high to reduce the AOA until the speed
> has bled/braked off and landing is easy.

Mike Leach
October 14th 05, 03:14 PM
I didn't see your previous posting on 2 pointing but I have tried It. The problem is my airfield
changes midway from being slightly uphill to being a definite downhill section. At the junction
there is a sort of ridge soaring effect which also gives curlover. Coupled with this is some
turbulence from the hedges, which finish about the same point.

Trying to two point in this can leave you with either a rapid increase or decrease in airspeed just
as the angle of attack is at max and aileron response about to give up and drop a wing tip. I agree
that two pointing in your way is a good to get a short landing run and I have used it in short
fields together with lots of wheel brake when actually on the ground.

On only my second flight in the PIK many years ago, I had to make a field landing in a large field.
I saw the wire fence across the field very late but, like you, marvelled at how fast I was able to
turn through 90 degrees because I just the main wheel on the ground. I stopped with the up wing half
way over the fence!

October 15th 05, 04:58 PM
What is it with PIK-drivers, fences, and ground-loops ?
Hmmmm....

Maule Driver
October 17th 05, 03:39 PM
Beats a lot of heads down knob twiddlin' :-)

wrote:
> What is it with PIK-drivers, fences, and ground-loops ?
> Hmmmm....

Google