PDA

View Full Version : two planes collide over akron

joe
October 15th 05, 12:52 AM
just saw this new notam for akron ohio. Mid air collision over ohio.
god rest their soles.

Neil Gould
October 15th 05, 04:02 AM
Recently, Morgans > posted:

> "joe" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>> just saw this new notam for akron ohio. Mid air collision over ohio.
>> god rest their soles.
>>
> 4 dead, in a Lancair 235, and a Cessna 172. Names are also in this
> CBS news story.

I knew John Plavcan, and know his parents well. I've flown with his father
on a number of occassions. I also was familiar with his plane (the
Lancair), and thought that it might have been him. Quite a loss.

I guess I have some calls to make.

Neil

Morgans
October 15th 05, 04:21 AM
oups.com...

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/10/14/national/main946671.shtml

--
Jim in NC

Gary Drescher
October 15th 05, 11:33 AM
"Neil Gould" > wrote in message
.. .
> Recently, Morgans > posted:
>
>> "joe" > wrote in message
>> oups.com...
>>> just saw this new notam for akron ohio. Mid air collision over ohio.
>>> god rest their soles.
>>>
>> 4 dead, in a Lancair 235, and a Cessna 172. Names are also in this
>> CBS news story.
>>
> I knew John Plavcan, and know his parents well. I've flown with his father
> on a number of occassions. I also was familiar with his plane (the
> Lancair), and thought that it might have been him. Quite a loss.
>
> I guess I have some calls to make.

My condolences.

--Gary

Gary Drescher
October 15th 05, 01:50 PM
"Morgans" > wrote in message

> "joe" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>> just saw this new notam for akron ohio. Mid air collision over ohio.
>> god rest their soles.
>>
> 4 dead, in a Lancair 235, and a Cessna 172. Names are also in this CBS
> news
> story.
>
> http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/10/14/national/main946671.shtml

I see there are several airports in the vicinity of the crash, two within
two miles of each other.

Both planes had CFIs aboard (one was also an ATP).

One of the dead is a 19-year-old whose private pilot certificate was issued
just two months ago.

--Gary

.Blueskies.
October 15th 05, 02:14 PM
"Morgans" > wrote in message ...

> "joe" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>> just saw this new notam for akron ohio. Mid air collision over ohio.
>> god rest their soles.
>>
> 4 dead, in a Lancair 235, and a Cessna 172. Names are also in this CBS news
> story.
>
> http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/10/14/national/main946671.shtml
>
> --
> Jim in NC

Real shame, condolences to all concerned..

Beautiful autumn days out there this weekend...be careful out there...

Martin X. Moleski, SJ
October 15th 05, 02:48 PM
On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 13:14:17 GMT, ".Blueskies." >
wrote in >:

>Real shame, condolences to all concerned..

Amen.

>Beautiful autumn days out there this weekend...be careful out there...

When I go out to the RC flying field on a perfect day, I often
say to myself, "Crash weather--fly safe!"

Flying is intoxicating, for good and for ill.

Marty

Neil Gould
October 15th 05, 03:46 PM
Recently, Gary Drescher > posted:

> I see there are several airports in the vicinity of the crash, two
> within two miles of each other.

There are a few airports in that area, and one of the problems is that
people are not talking on the same frequencies (if they have radios at
all). The "nearest misses" that I've had were in that area.

> Both planes had CFIs aboard (one was also an ATP).
>
> One of the dead is a 19-year-old whose private pilot certificate was
> issued just two months ago.

The 19-year old was taking an instrument lesson, according to this
morning's newspaper. According to his cousin (I thought he was his dad,
but that was a different "John"), Plavcan and friend were on their way
back from southern OH. It's unlikely that they'd be flying the VOR, as it
is tangential to their destination.

Neil

Skylune
October 18th 05, 07:04 PM
Only if they were manufactured by Timberland or Bass.

Google