PDA

View Full Version : C182 tow hook arrangement?

October 17th 05, 08:52 PM
I'm looking for a way to put a Tost release mechanism on a C182R.

We have a Tost release on the Pawnee, and it looks so much more
robust than the Schweitzer mechanism.

Wings and Wheels has the Tost arrangement for C172 and Maule, but in
Colorado, Civil Air Patrol has neither of those aircraft.

Is there an STC available (looked on google, not found)?

Do I have to go with Schweitzer (who does not even sell it anymore)?

Best regards,

LtCol Jer/ Eberhard, Colorado Wing Checkpilot (airplanes and gliders),
Assistant Glider Program Manager, Colorado Wing, CAP

--
LtCol Jer/ Eberhard, CO-Wing, Thompson Valley CS., Ft Collins, CO
CELL/VM: 970 231-6325, CELL Message: 9702316325'at'mmode.com

Bob Harrison
November 17th 06, 03:43 AM
S Nevada has kind of the same problem and the easiest answer is to take a Schweizer tow hook, input the individual pieces into AutoCad, have parts waterjet cut from wuality steel and then assembled in front of the FAA and recieve an onsite approval instead of a 337. Of course you could just buy the $2000.00 Tost assembly built for 206's and 172's and get it approved onsite.

PS
I am also going to produce a smaller version for folks who hand prop and want a quick release

Tim Mara
November 17th 06, 03:56 PM
the TOST tow release mechanisms will now also be in the latest revision to
FAA AC 4313, (Acceptable Methods, Techniques, and Practices - Aircraft
Alterations), even without the TOST support you could use the TOST mechanism
for better safety and the TOST releases are being produced new today and
will be supported into the future...Schweizer releases are not.and the cost
for the TOST release mechanism is even less than the Schweizer hook and
release..if you're going to design and build one anyway, you'd be far better
off to use the TOST release mechanism in the system and many will do for
aircraft that TOST doesn't already offer an approved support for.......and
BTW the C-172 system from TOST is in stock here and is a very nice and well
designed set-up http://www.wingsandwheels.com/page31.htm
tim

Wings & Wheels
www.wingsandwheels.com

"Bob Harrison" > wrote in
message .. .

> S Nevada has kind of the same problem and the easiest answer is to take
> a Schweizer tow hook, input the individual pieces into AutoCad, have
> parts waterjet cut from wuality steel and then assembled in front of
> the FAA and recieve an onsite approval instead of a 337. Of course you
> could just buy the $2000.00 Tost assembly built for 206's and 172's and
> get it approved onsite.
>
> PS
> I am also going to produce a smaller version for folks who hand prop
> and want a quick release
>

> --
> Bob Harrison

BT
November 18th 06, 03:18 AM
Bob, sorry but the firist part of the thread was trimmed by the newsever
(only download the latest 300 messages).

What problem is S Nevada having with tow hooks? Are you refering to the
local CAP?

BT

"Bob Harrison" > wrote in
message .. .

> S Nevada has kind of the same problem and the easiest answer is to take
> a Schweizer tow hook, input the individual pieces into AutoCad, have
> parts waterjet cut from wuality steel and then assembled in front of
> the FAA and recieve an onsite approval instead of a 337. Of course you
> could just buy the $2000.00 Tost assembly built for 206's and 172's and
> get it approved onsite.
>
> PS
> I am also going to produce a smaller version for folks who hand prop
> and want a quick release
>

> --
> Bob Harrison

Google