PDA

View Full Version : Enstrom 480B

Andrew Crane
October 19th 05, 04:54 PM
Hi - I'm looking at buying a helicopter and am looking at an R44 for reasons
of its popularity, low entry costs and the fact that that is all I am
licensed to fly.

However if I could get a second hand turbine reasonably cheaply, I would be
interested.

What is the group's views of the Enstrom 480B? On paper it looks a good
proposition. Can anyone comment on maintenance costs, operating costs,
reliability etc?

Thanks
Andrew

~R
October 19th 05, 05:13 PM
Andrew:

What do you mean by "all I am Licensed to fly"? Are you rated in the
US?.

thanks,
~R

Andrew Crane
October 19th 05, 05:33 PM
"~R" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Andrew:
>
> What do you mean by "all I am Licensed to fly"? Are you rated in the
> US?.

No - what made you think that?

Regards
Andrew

Andrew Crane
October 20th 05, 12:06 PM
"The OTHER Kevin in San Diego" <skiddz "AT" adelphia "DOT" net> wrote in
message ...
> On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 17:33:07 +0100, "Andrew Crane" >
> wrote:
>

> >"~R" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> >> Andrew:
> >>
> >> What do you mean by "all I am Licensed to fly"? Are you rated in the
> >> US?.
> >
> >No - what made you think that?
>
> I think it was an innocent question.. he may not have seen (or been
> aware of) your UK loacation.
>
> As for the Enstrom, contact Sharkey's Heclicopters (www.sharkeys.com)
> and speak to Roger. He's a very knowledgable Enstrom guy and can
> probably answer all your questions.

Thanks
Andrew

~R
October 20th 05, 05:50 PM
The OTHER Kevin in San Diego wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 17:33:07 +0100, "Andrew Crane" >
> wrote:
>

> >"~R" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> >> Andrew:
> >>
> >> What do you mean by "all I am Licensed to fly"? Are you rated in the
> >> US?.
> >
> >No - what made you think that?
>
> I think it was an innocent question.. he may not have seen (or been
> aware of) your UK loacation.
>
> Sorry, I had your e-mail address hidden while I was viewing your post....didn't realize you were in the UK....I'm not very familiar with the limitations on ratings over there. Your comment peeked my curiosity. A US PPL or CPL in helicopters will allow you to fly a helicopter up to 12,500 lbs. as long as it doesn't require a "Type" rating....and provided you meet any aircraft specific criteria...

Can you provide a link to Uk aviation regs?...I haven't surfed yet to
find them...just curious
thanks,
~R

Lorin Schrader
February 24th 06, 09:42 PM
As an former employee of Enstrom, I can tell you their 480 was an
awesome machine. Now that they have the load rating up and the
elastomeric dampers are tuned it is a nice machine. You can fit real
sized people in the Enstrom too. The R44 is a big R22.

Lorin

Andrew Crane wrote:
> Hi - I'm looking at buying a helicopter and am looking at an R44 for reasons
> of its popularity, low entry costs and the fact that that is all I am
> licensed to fly.
>
> However if I could get a second hand turbine reasonably cheaply, I would be
> interested.
>
> What is the group's views of the Enstrom 480B? On paper it looks a good
> proposition. Can anyone comment on maintenance costs, operating costs,
> reliability etc?
>
> Thanks
> Andrew

Google