PDA

View Full Version : Flap Hinge Moment Calc

Bo
February 2nd 05, 06:02 AM
Is there a quick way to calculate what the hinge moment (or turning
moment for the flap shaft for a specified condition) is for a flap on a
symetrical foil.

......... :-\)\)
February 2nd 05, 09:34 AM
You don't need to calculate it ...

There is a a number of sources of such data that will be far more reliable
than any calculation:
* NACA reports (search NACA TRS online) - there is heaps of such reports
* USAF Stability and Control DATCOM
* Books such as Hoerners Lift, Etkin, Perkins and Hage (I think) will have
limited data.
* ESDU data sheets
There are other sources if you cannot find any of the above ... just ask
again and I will give you more.

"Bo" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Is there a quick way to calculate what the hinge moment (or turning
> moment for the flap shaft for a specified condition) is for a flap on a
> symetrical foil.

......... :-\)\)
February 2nd 05, 10:26 AM
There are too many details that can have a big effect on hinge moments that
you simply cannot allow for in calculations, such as the shape of the TE,
degree of gap sealing etc. People who do this for a living rely on
experimental data NOT calculation.

"......... :-))" > wrote in message
> You don't need to calculate it ...
>
> There is a a number of sources of such data that will be far more reliable
> than any calculation:
> * NACA reports (search NACA TRS online) - there is heaps of such reports
> * USAF Stability and Control DATCOM
> * Books such as Hoerners Lift, Etkin, Perkins and Hage (I think) will have
> limited data.
> * ESDU data sheets
> There are other sources if you cannot find any of the above ... just ask
> again and I will give you more.
>

> "Bo" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > Is there a quick way to calculate what the hinge moment (or turning
> > moment for the flap shaft for a specified condition) is for a flap on a
> > symetrical foil.

Google