PDA

View Full Version : Soaring in New Zeland

Daniel
October 22nd 05, 08:38 PM
Hi!

Is here anyone from New Zeland? I'm a glider pilot from Poland. On Jan 2006
I'm planing to visit New Zeland with my friend. We both want to glide there.
Does anyone can help us with providing usefull informations abous gliding in
NZ?

Kind regards
Daniel Mazurkiewicz
www.aeroportal.info

W.J. \(Bill\) Dean \(U.K.\).
October 22nd 05, 09:07 PM
Go to "Gliding New Zealand" at http://www.gliding.co.nz/ and then go to
http://www.gliding.co.nz/Clubs/Clubs.htm .

W.J. (Bill) Dean (U.K.).
Remove "ic" to reply.

> "Daniel" > wrote in message
> . ..
>
> Hi!
>
> Is here anyone from New Zealand? I'm a glider pilot from Poland. On
> Jan 2006 I'm planning to visit New Zealand with my friend. We both want
> to glide there. Does anyone can help us with providing useful information
> about gliding in NZ?
>
> Kind regards
> Daniel Mazurkiewicz
> www.aeroportal.info

Philip Plane
October 23rd 05, 12:24 AM
> Is here anyone from New Zeland? I'm a glider pilot from Poland. On Jan 2006
> I'm planing to visit New Zeland with my friend. We both want to glide there.
> Does anyone can help us with providing usefull informations abous gliding in
> NZ?

http://www.gliding.co.nz is the Gliding NZ website.

Commercial operators are:

http://soaring.co.nz
http://www.glideomarama.co.nz

--
Philip Plane _____

---------------( )---------------
Glider pilots have no visible means of support

Daniel
October 23rd 05, 09:37 AM
Hi!

I saw this web beafore I've asked here for informations. We are looking more
for informations from the 1-st hand, from someone who has been flying in NZ.
How does the clubs atmosphere looks like, where to go to meet the nicest
glider pilots, where are the best conditions to fly. You know, stuff like
that. :-)

Best regards,
Daniel

Użytkownik "W.J. (Bill) Dean (U.K.)." > napisał w
wiadomości ...
> Go to "Gliding New Zealand" at http://www.gliding.co.nz/ and then go to
> http://www.gliding.co.nz/Clubs/Clubs.htm .
>
> W.J. (Bill) Dean (U.K.).
> Remove "ic" to reply.
>>
>> "Daniel" > wrote in message
>> . ..
>>
>> Hi!
>>
>> Is here anyone from New Zealand? I'm a glider pilot from Poland. On
>> Jan 2006 I'm planning to visit New Zealand with my friend. We both want
>> to glide there. Does anyone can help us with providing useful information
>> about gliding in NZ?
>>
>> Kind regards
>> Daniel Mazurkiewicz
>> www.aeroportal.info

goneill
October 23rd 05, 11:29 AM
I am from New Zealand , what areas are you expecting to visit, me or
other NZ pilots can give you the info on each local area
gary
"Daniel" > wrote in message
. ..
> Hi!
>
> Is here anyone from New Zeland? I'm a glider pilot from Poland. On Jan
> 2006 I'm planing to visit New Zeland with my friend. We both want to glide
> there. Does anyone can help us with providing usefull informations abous
> gliding in NZ?
>
> Kind regards
> Daniel Mazurkiewicz
> www.aeroportal.info

Martin Gregorie
October 23rd 05, 12:42 PM
Daniel wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I saw this web beafore I've asked here for informations. We are looking more
> for informations from the 1-st hand, from someone who has been flying in NZ.
> How does the clubs atmosphere looks like, where to go to meet the nicest
> glider pilots, where are the best conditions to fly. You know, stuff like
> that. :-)

I did more or less what you're planning, but in late 2003. I flew into
Auckland, out from Christchurch and travelled by car and train in
between, visiting friends and gliding clubs along the way. I visited
three airfields:

- Auckland Gliding Club at Drury, south of Auckland. Friendly bunch,
but I didn't get to fly due to slight disorganisation. The club fleet is
a bit limited. Winching and aero tow.

- Wellington Gliding Club at Paraparaumu. A well-organised operation
with decent gliders (Twin Astir, Janus, PW-5, Libelle) in the club
fleet. Friendly and pretty much on the ball. Aero tow only.

- Omarama. A must. I had a flight with Alpine Soaring (now Southern
Soaring, http://www.soaring.co.nz/) in their DG-1000. That was my first
attempt at mountain flying: 3 hours and about 200km of ridge running
across the Hawea, up the Dingle Valley and almost to Mt. Huxton and back
home. A really memorable experience. Both the commercial operations at
Omarama run mountain flying courses. I was just passing through in 2003,
but a course there is firmly on my list for next time.

Take a look at www.gliding.co.nz - the national body's website. It has
locations, contact details and other information about all the clubs and
commercial operations in the country.

The first club you fly with should sell you a 30 day temporary
membership of the national body. This provides insurance when flying in
club gliders, is valid at other clubs and was accepted by Alpine soaring
as well.

I took my log book, British Glider license and current British medical
certificate. That was all the documentation I needed.

Other tips:

Don't take a hire car across the Cook Strait. Its a lot cheaper to
re-hire on the other side and cross the strait as a foot passenger.
Given decent weather, a good use of a day's sightseeing is to take the
ferry from Wellington to Picton and then get the train to Christchurch.
The scenery is spectacular and both ferry and train are inexpensive. You
leave Wellington in mid-morning and arrive in Christchurch in the later
afternoon.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. |

October 23rd 05, 05:53 PM
Careful here, you could start another PW-5 discussion...
Best Regards, Dave

Neil Allison
October 24th 05, 08:24 AM
Hi,

> Is here anyone from New Zeland? I'm a glider pilot from Poland. On Jan 2006
> I'm planing to visit New Zeland with my friend. We both want to glide there.

Some of the South Island based clubs operate from Omarama over the
summer period and may be a non-commercial option to consider.

I fly with the Canterbury Gliding Club.

--
Neil Allison
Christchurch, NZ