PDA

View Full Version : Instrument Hole Punch

February 3rd 05, 02:24 PM
Has anyone used one of those combination punches (driven by a hand
wrench) that will make a 3.5 or 2.25 inch instrument hole in sheet
metal? How thick an aluminum panel will it go through? Were you happy
with the result? I'm thinking of fabricating a replacement instrument
panel and want it to look good.

FlyWithTwo
February 3rd 05, 03:06 PM
wrote:
> Has anyone used one of those combination punches (driven by a hand
> wrench) that will make a 3.5 or 2.25 inch instrument hole in sheet
> metal? How thick an aluminum panel will it go through? Were you
happy
> with the result? I'm thinking of fabricating a replacement
instrument
> panel and want it to look good.

I've used the Greenlee punches to make clean holes in .060, .090, .125
aluminum. They work great and make very clean holes.

BC

Juan Jimenez
February 3rd 05, 08:04 PM
I used one to make my instrument panel and it worked great.

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Has anyone used one of those combination punches (driven by a hand
> wrench) that will make a 3.5 or 2.25 inch instrument hole in sheet
> metal? How thick an aluminum panel will it go through? Were you happy
> with the result? I'm thinking of fabricating a replacement instrument
> panel and want it to look good.

Fly
February 3rd 05, 08:44 PM
Instaed of a hand wrench, use an impact wrench.

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Has anyone used one of those combination punches (driven by a hand
> wrench) that will make a 3.5 or 2.25 inch instrument hole in sheet
> metal? How thick an aluminum panel will it go through? Were you happy
> with the result? I'm thinking of fabricating a replacement instrument
> panel and want it to look good.

Morgans
February 3rd 05, 09:17 PM
> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Has anyone used one of those combination punches (driven by a hand
> wrench) that will make a 3.5 or 2.25 inch instrument hole in sheet
> metal? How thick an aluminum panel will it go through? Were you happy
> with the result? I'm thinking of fabricating a replacement instrument
> panel and want it to look good.

They will make a clean hole in any aluminum you are likely to use in a
panel. I have punched 1/8" steel, no problem.
--
Jim in NC

Google