PDA

View Full Version : Off Topic... email software

Gary Emerson
October 24th 05, 01:01 AM
I've been clinging to Netscape as my mail program for some time now although I
know it's just not going to last forever with no support, etc.. Any of the
computer savvy glider pilots know of any other free or inexpensive mail software
that also has the capability to download the newsgroups inside the same software???

Many thanks,

Gary

Tony Verhulst
October 24th 05, 01:07 AM
Gary Emerson wrote:
> I've been clinging to Netscape as my mail program for some time now
> although I know it's just not going to last forever with no support,
> etc.. Any of the computer savvy glider pilots know of any other free or
> inexpensive mail software that also has the capability to download the
> newsgroups inside the same software???

Mozilla Thunderbird - http://mozilla.org. Open source and supported.

Tony V.

BTIZ
October 24th 05, 01:26 AM
outlook express

"Gary Emerson" > wrote in message
t...
> I've been clinging to Netscape as my mail program for some time now
> although I know it's just not going to last forever with no support, etc..
> Any of the computer savvy glider pilots know of any other free or
> inexpensive mail software that also has the capability to download the
> newsgroups inside the same software???
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Gary

October 24th 05, 01:42 AM
Outlook Express

Or use the best free email software you find, and use Google Groups as
your news reader.

Try: http://groups.google.com/group/rec.aviation.soaring

Tony Verhulst
October 24th 05, 01:45 AM
BTIZ wrote:
> outlook express

Recommending and using software that is targetted by every hacker in
existence sounds, to me, like a real bad idea. YMMV.

Tony

October 24th 05, 03:13 AM
Tony Verhulst wrote:

> Mozilla Thunderbird - http://mozilla.org. Open source and supported.
>
> Tony V.

I second that. Also, you can use Mozilla Firefox for browsing.
Both are free, though at the website they ask for contributions.

OpenOffice works just swell for text, spreadsheet, presentations, etc.

Richard
October 24th 05, 03:39 AM
Agent, not the free version.

On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 00:01:02 GMT, Gary Emerson
> wrote:

>I've been clinging to Netscape as my mail program for some time now although I
>know it's just not going to last forever with no support, etc.. Any of the
>computer savvy glider pilots know of any other free or inexpensive mail software
>that also has the capability to download the newsgroups inside the same software???
>
>Many thanks,
>
>Gary

Mike I Green
October 24th 05, 05:13 AM
Gary Emerson wrote:
> I've been clinging to Netscape as my mail program for some time now
> although I know it's just not going to last forever with no support,
> etc.. Any of the computer savvy glider pilots know of any other free or
> inexpensive mail software that also has the capability to download the
> newsgroups inside the same software???
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Gary

You might consider Mozilla which combines both email and a browser.

MG

Shawn
October 24th 05, 05:20 AM
Tony Verhulst wrote:
> Gary Emerson wrote:
>
>> I've been clinging to Netscape as my mail program for some time now
>> although I know it's just not going to last forever with no support,
>> etc.. Any of the computer savvy glider pilots know of any other free
>> or inexpensive mail software that also has the capability to download
>> the newsgroups inside the same software???
>

> Mozilla Thunderbird - http://mozilla.org. Open source and supported.

Third.

Chris Reed
October 24th 05, 04:56 PM
Shawn wrote:
> Tony Verhulst wrote:
>
>> Gary Emerson wrote:
>>
>>> I've been clinging to Netscape as my mail program for some time now
>>> although I know it's just not going to last forever with no support,
>>> etc.. Any of the computer savvy glider pilots know of any other free
>>> or inexpensive mail software that also has the capability to download
>>> the newsgroups inside the same software???
>>

>> Mozilla Thunderbird - http://mozilla.org. Open source and supported.
>

> Third.

And fourth.

Plus the Junk mail filter in Thunderbird is excellent, and learns to
sweep out 90 of your spam within a few days.

Plus it isn't a target for virus/worm/Trojan writers, unlike Outlook.

Bear
October 24th 05, 06:04 PM
Gary Emerson schrieb:
> I've been clinging to Netscape as my mail program for some time now
> although I know it's just not going to last forever with no support,
> etc.. Any of the computer savvy glider pilots know of any other free or
> inexpensive mail software that also has the capability to download the
> newsgroups inside the same software???
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Gary

Hi Gary,

I use Thunderbird in a Windows and a Linux environment.
It works good for mail and news groups.

www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/

Regards
Bear

BTIZ
October 25th 05, 02:15 AM
so true... but it comes with Bill Gates support.. not that that in itself is
a good thing

"Tony Verhulst" > wrote in message
> BTIZ wrote:
>> outlook express
>
> Recommending and using software that is targetted by every hacker in
> existence sounds, to me, like a real bad idea. YMMV.
>
> Tony

Gary Emerson
October 25th 05, 02:28 PM
Many thanks to all. I decided to try Thurderbird and am really pleased.
Not only does it support news and e-mail together, but it did a
seamless job of pulling over copies of all my old e-mails, folders, and
even some e-mails I had "lost" in what was probably an inadvertent
archive command a couple years ago.

Gary Emerson wrote:
> I've been clinging to Netscape as my mail program for some time now
> although I know it's just not going to last forever with no support,
> etc.. Any of the computer savvy glider pilots know of any other free or
> inexpensive mail software that also has the capability to download the
> newsgroups inside the same software???
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Gary

Shawn
October 25th 05, 04:40 PM
BTIZ wrote:
> so true... but it comes with Bill Gates support.. not that that in itself is
> a good thing

Whadaya expect from a criminal.
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/mugshots/gatesmug1.html
:-)

Shawn

P.S. Workplace/family safe URL, unless Gates' picture scares your children.

Google