PDA

View Full Version : See and Avoid Failure

Steve Leonard
October 24th 05, 11:53 PM
Mike Schumann wrote:

'See and avoid has NEVER failed?????'

Well, maybe this once. And rather dramtically, I
might ad. If this had happened in Minnesota, I would
have said 'Ouf dah!'

http://www.aigaviation.com/salvage/Salvagecraftlz.aspx

Steve Leonard

Shawn
October 25th 05, 05:24 PM
Steve Leonard wrote:
> Mike Schumann wrote:
>
> 'See and avoid has NEVER failed?????'
>
> Well, maybe this once. And rather dramtically, I
> might ad. If this had happened in Minnesota, I would
> have said 'Ouf dah!'
>
> http://www.aigaviation.com/salvage/Salvagecraftlz.aspx
>
> Steve Leonard

The rest of the story:
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief2.asp?ev_id=20050601X00691&ntsbno=DFW05LA134B&akey=2

Well if you see and don't avoid...

Shawn

Jim Vincent
October 27th 05, 04:12 PM
Here's another one for you. Sadly, had the glider on tow not released, the
tow plane would not have turned into the other glider.
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=20001212X18789&key=2

"Steve Leonard" > wrote in message
> Mike Schumann wrote:
>
> 'See and avoid has NEVER failed?????'
>
> Well, maybe this once. And rather dramtically, I
> might ad. If this had happened in Minnesota, I would
> have said 'Ouf dah!'
>
> http://www.aigaviation.com/salvage/Salvagecraftlz.aspx
>
> Steve Leonard

Ramy
October 28th 05, 01:54 AM
Just imagine the outcome if "see and avoid" was considered sufficient
on the road - No traffic lights, no stop signs, no multilane roads, you
get the picture. And it is much easier to spot and avoid a car than
aircraft. So why is it acceptable in the air, where the outcome is
almost always catastrophic, and not on the ground, especially now, when
we have the technology to avoid midairs? Mind boggling...

Ramy

Jim Vincent wrote:
> Here's another one for you. Sadly, had the glider on tow not released, the
> tow plane would not have turned into the other glider.
> http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=20001212X18789&key=2
>
> "Steve Leonard" > wrote in message
> > Mike Schumann wrote:
> >
> > 'See and avoid has NEVER failed?????'
> >
> > Well, maybe this once. And rather dramtically, I
> > might ad. If this had happened in Minnesota, I would
> > have said 'Ouf dah!'
> >
> > http://www.aigaviation.com/salvage/Salvagecraftlz.aspx
> >
> > Steve Leonard

Google