Any help is truly appreciated.

Ph: 518-885-5599
Or
E-mail: tim at adirondacksoaring.com

Jack
October 27th 05, 03:04 AM
Tim Hanke wrote:
> Help needed! We have imported a used sailplane with a Komet Trailer to
> the port of Baltimore in the United States and have had nothing but
> problems with the US DOT trailer inspector.

Call your Congressman.

Jack

October 27th 05, 03:19 AM
Tim, if you're an SSA member, I'd call my regional director and ask him
to call the man in Hobbs to ask him to call the (wo)man at NAC to place
a call to deMerit and set him straight.

If you're not, well ...

~ted/2NO

Tim Hanke
October 27th 05, 11:57 AM
Did all that and more. No one has ever had this problem. SSA is
stumped. I spoke to an individual who imported 10 gliders in the last
five years on ratty trailer and has had no problem.

Bruce
October 27th 05, 12:46 PM
Tim Hanke wrote:
> Did all that and more. No one has ever had this problem. SSA is
> stumped. I spoke to an individual who imported 10 gliders in the last
> five years on ratty trailer and has had no problem.

Yet another victory for bureaucracy over common sense.
But the USA has raised red tape to an art form so we should not be surprised...

At least in Africa when you get an irrational demand like that you KNOW all you
are actually doing is establishing the price...

--
Bruce Greeff
Std Cirrus #57

Tim Hanke
October 27th 05, 01:25 PM
Jack,

I am hoping that this will be the way to go, as we have run out of
options.

Thanks!

Jack wrote:
> Tim Hanke wrote:
> > Help needed! We have imported a used sailplane with a Komet Trailer to
> > the port of Baltimore in the United States and have had nothing but
> > problems with the US DOT trailer inspector.
>
> Call your Congressman.
>

> Jack

October 27th 05, 01:57 PM
Tim Hanke wrote:
> Jack,
>
> I am hoping that this will be the way to go, as we have run out of
> options.
>
> Thanks!

Tim try contacting Hal Ennulat at Entec. They are US distributors
for Komet. He will know how to get what is needed to get into
compliance.
Sorry, I don't have his e-mail handy.
UH

> Jack wrote:
> > Tim Hanke wrote:
> > > Help needed! We have imported a used sailplane with a Komet Trailer to
> > > the port of Baltimore in the United States and have had nothing but
> > > problems with the US DOT trailer inspector.
> >
> > Call your Congressman.
> >

> > Jack

GM
October 27th 05, 02:13 PM
Have you tried to talk to the Komet Trailer rep. in the US or to Komet
in Germany? Maybe they can provide the necessary documentation to proof
that these trailers are indeed road-worthy.

Uli Neumann

Tim Hanke
October 27th 05, 02:40 PM
Sent an e-mail to Komet in Germany with sn# etc... Spoke with Harold at
ENTEC also.

>From what I am hearing, this should have been shipped to Charleston,
SC!!!!

Also, What I have failed to mention that a friend has imported an LS-7
with a homebuilt aluminum (Minden Type Trailer) in the same container.
I have NOT even began to attack this problem yet!!!

Tim Hanke
October 27th 05, 02:45 PM
Hank,

Already know what is needed...DOT tires, 2" ball, 4 prong lights. I
have all those availble off a 2001 Cobra. The problem is that they will

not let me into the port to switch this stuff out.

I have tried to haul this trailer out on a flatbed and that is not
allowed either.

Spinning my wheels!!!!

I have a call in to Congressman Sweeny's Office.

Thanks,
Tim

Raphael Warshaw
October 27th 05, 03:39 PM
Don't know if this will help in Maryland, but in CA I went to the DMV and
obtained a temporary registration with the requirement that I return in one
week to have the trailer inspected. The registration got me out of the
port. The subsequent inspection consisted of walking around the trailer to
see if it had the right lights and back into the office. It's registered as
a "Sportine" carrier.

You might consider calling it a "wheeled cargo container" and dealing with
roadability issues later.

Ray Warshaw
1LK

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> Tim Hanke wrote:
>> Did all that and more. No one has ever had this problem. SSA is
>> stumped. I spoke to an individual who imported 10 gliders in the last
>> five years on ratty trailer and has had no problem.
>>
> Yet another victory for bureaucracy over common sense.
> But the USA has raised red tape to an art form so we should not be
> surprised...
>
> At least in Africa when you get an irrational demand like that you KNOW
> all you are actually doing is establishing the price...
>
> --
> Bruce Greeff
> Std Cirrus #57
> I'm no-T at the address above.

Tim Hanke
October 27th 05, 04:36 PM
Jack,
I am stuck here and have to turn the sailplanes over to a Registered
Importer (RI) at J. K. Technologies in
Baltimore. They may have to change the tires to say DOT and 6 to 9
monts later DOT will review and advise if it now meets specifications.
A real disapointment that Congressman Sweeny's Office was no help and
basically said they couldn't do anything.

Jack
October 27th 05, 08:20 PM
Tim Hanke wrote:

> ...Congressman Sweeny's Office was no help and
> basically said they couldn't do anything.

Sorry to hear it.

Much needs to be changed in the good ol' USofA.

Jack

MickiMinner
October 29th 05, 02:21 AM
> Tim Hanke wrote:
>
> > ...Congressman Sweeny's Office was no help and
> > basically said they couldn't do anything.
>
> Sorry to hear it.
>
> Much needs to be changed in the good ol' USofA.
>

> Jack

Tim:
Charlie Minner has had the same thing happen while getting a trailer in
from the customs warehouse in Charleston, and again the same problem
when bringing a customized trailer in through Detroit from Canada.
Charlie tells me that you need to fill out a "special" paper signed by
customs. (He can't remember the form number or name)....The best
person to contact would be Sam Zimmerman. He and Leigh have brought in
many many gliders, and know the whole routine down pat. Hope it helps!

Tim Hanke
October 29th 05, 11:06 PM
Please provide a phone number for Charlie. I have spoken to Sam
Zimmerman and he says he has had no problems with all his imported
gliders.

Tim at adirondacksoaring.com

Brian Glick
November 4th 05, 02:58 PM
Tim

Charlie is an SSA director, you can find all his contact info in the members
section of the SSA web site

Brian

"Tim Hanke" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Please provide a phone number for Charlie. I have spoken to Sam
> Zimmerman and he says he has had no problems with all his imported
> gliders.
>
> Tim at adirondacksoaring.com

Google