PDA

View Full Version : For the DPEs: added vs. initial rating written exams

Borislav Deianov
October 27th 05, 10:25 AM
I'm working on my CFI certificate. I'm aiming to get both the
CFI-Airplane and CFI-Glider and since the book work is pretty much the
same, I'm working on them in parallel. I haven't decided yet which
checkride to take first and would like to keep my options open.

Here is the problem: I'd like to get the writtens out of the way but
don't know which writtens to take. If I were to do the CFI-A first,
I'd take the FIA (Flight Instructor - Airplane) and AFG (Flight
Instructor - Glider - Added Rating) tests. If I do the CFI-G first,
that would be the FIG (Flight Instructor - Glider) and AFA (Flight
Instructor - Airplane - Added Rating) tests. (I've already taken the
FOI.)

One option might be to just take the FIA and FIG. Is that allowed? Can
I show up for an "added rating" checkride with the "initial rating"
version of the written? I checked the DPE handbook but it doesn't
seem cover this situation.

Thanks,
Boris

Terry
October 27th 05, 03:42 PM
Boris,

Common sense should allow you to show up with the greater test for an
additional rating Flight Instructor. We know that the FAA does not
always follow common sense. I do not have my handbook here, but since
you stated that it does not answer this, I would have to call my POI
(Principal Operations Inspector-the supervisor for DPEs) and ask him.
You could call your own local FSDO and ask. It is their job to answer
such questions.

Good luck. I think you have the right idea in your training.

Terry Claussen DPEG
Estrella, Az.

Borislav Deianov wrote:

> One option might be to just take the FIA and FIG. Is that allowed? Can
> I show up for an "added rating" checkride with the "initial rating"
> version of the written? I checked the DPE handbook but it doesn't
> seem cover this situation.
>
> Thanks,
> Boris

Cecil Chapman
October 27th 05, 05:12 PM
> I'm working on my CFI certificate. I'm aiming to get both the
> CFI-Airplane and CFI-Glider and since the book work is pretty much the
> same, I'm working on them in parallel. I haven't decided yet which
> checkride to take first and would like to keep my options open.

Whoo Hoo!!!!! Go Boris Go!!! :0) There is just no stopping you,,,, PPL,
Instrument, Commercial (I think?) Aerobatics, Gliders and now a CFI!!

Don't have an answer (yet,,, but I'm going to look after I get back from the
airport)! Just great to see ya plow through those ratings and
certificates!!!

Wow!!! :)

=-----
Good Flights!

Cecil E. Chapman
CP-ASEL-IA

Student - C.F.I.

Check out my personal flying adventures from my first flight to the
checkride AND the continuing adventures beyond!
Complete with pictures and text at: www.bayareapilot.com

- Antoine de Saint-Exupery -

"We who fly, do so for the love of flying. We are alive in the air with
this miracle that lies in our hands and beneath our feet"
- Cecil Day Lewis -
"Borislav Deianov" > wrote in message

> Here is the problem: I'd like to get the writtens out of the way but
> don't know which writtens to take. If I were to do the CFI-A first,
> I'd take the FIA (Flight Instructor - Airplane) and AFG (Flight
> Instructor - Glider - Added Rating) tests. If I do the CFI-G first,
> that would be the FIG (Flight Instructor - Glider) and AFA (Flight
> Instructor - Airplane - Added Rating) tests. (I've already taken the
> FOI.)
>
> One option might be to just take the FIA and FIG. Is that allowed? Can
> I show up for an "added rating" checkride with the "initial rating"
> version of the written? I checked the DPE handbook but it doesn't
> seem cover this situation.
>
> Thanks,
> Boris

Michael
October 27th 05, 06:37 PM
Take it from me - take the CFI-Glider first. You will need to take
your initial CFI with an FAA inspector or someone they designate (you
will not be able to just pick your favorite DE) and FAA inspectors who
are glider qualified are a way better class of people than the average
FAA inspector. There is no professional reason to fly gliders - those
of us who do, do so for the love of flying - and because of this very
few FAA inspectors are glider qualified. Those who are will not be out
to bust you for having a curled-up placard on the instrument panel.
Also, it's a lot harder to ground a glider than a power plane - lots
less stuff there.

It's how I did it, and I'm really glad I did.

Michael

October 31st 05, 09:41 PM
In rec.aviation.student Borislav Deianov > wrote:
> I'm working on my CFI certificate. I'm aiming to get both the
> CFI-Airplane and CFI-Glider and since the book work is pretty much the
> same, I'm working on them in parallel. I haven't decided yet which
> checkride to take first and would like to keep my options open.

Boris, I profess that it makes sense to take the CFI-Glider first.
You get to take your first CFI checkride with an FAA Inspector.
There is just less to go wrong on the glider checkride. :-)
Then, the CFI-Airplane becomes an add-on. Just a few maneuvers
in an airplane... and you're done.

I did it that way... and I'm glad I did. :-)

Best regards,

Jer/ "Flight instruction and mountain flying are my vocation!" Eberhard

--
Jer/ (Slash) Eberhard, Mountain Flying Aviation, LTD, Ft Collins, CO
CELL 970 231-6325 EMAIL jer'at'frii.com WEB http://users.frii.com/jer/

Paul Lynch
November 1st 05, 01:40 AM
Glider is a much easier way to go. Fewer opportunities for things to go
wrong on the oral, the flight, or the FSDO's examination of the airplane and
its records. It is quite common for the CFI applicant to have "airplane"
problems when the FSDO maintenance experts look at the airplane parked in
front of the FSDO. In our FSDO area there are no Inspectors who can do a
glider CFI. They use a DPE for gliders to do the initial or add-on CFI. I
subsequently added on my airplane CFI using a DPE because add-ons can
normally be done by DPE's.

Go glider first!

Paul

> wrote in message ...
> In rec.aviation.student Borislav Deianov > wrote:
>> I'm working on my CFI certificate. I'm aiming to get both the
>> CFI-Airplane and CFI-Glider and since the book work is pretty much the
>> same, I'm working on them in parallel. I haven't decided yet which
>> checkride to take first and would like to keep my options open.
>
> Boris, I profess that it makes sense to take the CFI-Glider first.
> You get to take your first CFI checkride with an FAA Inspector.
> There is just less to go wrong on the glider checkride. :-)
> Then, the CFI-Airplane becomes an add-on. Just a few maneuvers
> in an airplane... and you're done.
>
> I did it that way... and I'm glad I did. :-)
>
> Best regards,
>
> Jer/ "Flight instruction and mountain flying are my vocation!" Eberhard
>
> --
> Jer/ (Slash) Eberhard, Mountain Flying Aviation, LTD, Ft Collins, CO
> CELL 970 231-6325 EMAIL jer'at'frii.com WEB http://users.frii.com/jer/
> C-206 N9513G, CFII Airplane&Glider, FAA-DEN Aviation Safety Counselor
> CAP-CO Mission&Aircraft CheckPilot, BM218 HAM N0FZD, 235 Young Eagles!

Borislav Deianov
November 2nd 05, 12:08 AM
> I did it that way... and I'm glad I did. :-)

I've decided to follow everybody's suggestion and just do the CFIG
first. It does make things easier all around. So I took the FIG, AFA
and AGI writtens today. Passed. Now for some actual studying.

Thanks all,
Boris

Google