PDA

View Full Version : Tax man is Unfriendly, Boo Hoo!

November 2nd 05, 12:21 AM
"Illinois lawmakers ought to drop the state's sales tax on aircraft and
aircraft parts so the industry can remain competitive, aviation
industry officials said at a meeting at DuPage Airport in West Chicago
Friday.
Ed Green, vice president and general manager of the Springfield- based
Garrett Aviation Service Centers, said 28 states do not have an
aviation tax and 20 states don't tax aircraft maintenance, either.
The taxes, he said, are disincentives for people to buy or service
aircraft in Illinois or to do business here at all.
"You have a mobile product. It's not a captive audience. They can go
anywhere to get maintenance done," he said.

For example, if an aircraft owner wanted a $200,000 engine overhaul, it
would cost $14,000 more in Illinois, based on a 7 percent sales tax.
Going to another state would cost more in fuel but less overall. The
same is true for corporate jet purchases, which are typically much
more.
Green said the benefits from new jobs, people coming to Illinois and
staying in hotels and eating at restaurants, along with taxes on
corporate profits, would replace lost dollars from lifting the airplane
tax.
He also dismissed the idea that lifting the tax would be a break for
people affluent enough to afford an aircraft, saying "they've already
got that break" in other states.

George Yundt, regional sales manager for the Dassault Falcon Jet Corp.
in Orland Park, agreed. He said in his nine years with the firm, he's
seen 37 businesses with aviation departments either leave the state, go
bankrupt or close their flight departments.
"There's something endemic at the state level," he said. "This is not a
corporation-friendly state to have your headquarters here. Think about
it, how many corporations came to Illinois in the past few years?
Boeing, and that's it."

DuPage Airport Executive Director David Bird said aviation leaders need
to identify why the industry isn't as strong as it should be in
Illinois.
"That exodus seems to be problematic, and (Yundt) is right," he said.
"We need to get to the cause of that, and maybe it's more than just one
cause."

The first annual Governmental Affairs Day was organized by the Chicago
Area Business Aviation Association."

We'll take our toys elsewhere, you meanees! JG

Steven Barnes
November 2nd 05, 02:34 AM
Yup. We bought our Cherokee 3 months after gov. Rod Blafukusabunch
implemented the use tax. I hope he enjoyed the extra 3 grand he cost us.

Bah.

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> "Illinois lawmakers ought to drop the state's sales tax on aircraft and
> aircraft parts so the industry can remain competitive, aviation
> industry officials said at a meeting at DuPage Airport in West Chicago
> Friday.
> Ed Green, vice president and general manager of the Springfield- based
> Garrett Aviation Service Centers, said 28 states do not have an
> aviation tax and 20 states don't tax aircraft maintenance, either.
> The taxes, he said, are disincentives for people to buy or service
> aircraft in Illinois or to do business here at all.
> "You have a mobile product. It's not a captive audience. They can go
> anywhere to get maintenance done," he said.

[snip]

Orval Fairbairn
November 2nd 05, 04:58 AM
In article om>,
wrote:

> "Illinois lawmakers ought to drop the state's sales tax on aircraft and
> aircraft parts so the industry can remain competitive, aviation
> industry officials said at a meeting at DuPage Airport in West Chicago
> Friday.

That is just part of Mayor Daley's "Green" agenda for Illinois. After
all, the Gov. is in Daley's hip pocket.

Dave Stadt
November 2nd 05, 05:11 AM
"Orval Fairbairn" > wrote in message
> In article om>,
> wrote:
>
> > "Illinois lawmakers ought to drop the state's sales tax on aircraft and
> > aircraft parts so the industry can remain competitive, aviation
> > industry officials said at a meeting at DuPage Airport in West Chicago
> > Friday.
>

> That is just part of Mayor Daley's "Green" agenda for Illinois. After
> all, the Gov. is in Daley's hip pocket.

Actually the gov has pretty much burned that bridge and a bunch of others.
He is currently under federal investigation for contract "irregularities."

Orval Fairbairn
November 2nd 05, 02:38 PM
In article >,
"Dave Stadt" > wrote:

> "Orval Fairbairn" > wrote in message
> > In article om>,
> > wrote:
> >
> > > "Illinois lawmakers ought to drop the state's sales tax on aircraft and
> > > aircraft parts so the industry can remain competitive, aviation
> > > industry officials said at a meeting at DuPage Airport in West Chicago
> > > Friday.
> >

> > That is just part of Mayor Daley's "Green" agenda for Illinois. After
> > all, the Gov. is in Daley's hip pocket.
>
> Actually the gov has pretty much burned that bridge and a bunch of others.
> He is currently under federal investigation for contract "irregularities."

If we are lucky, he will take Daley with him. Mongo needs some new
friends to play with in his cell.

Gig 601XL Builder
November 2nd 05, 02:58 PM
"Orval Fairbairn" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Dave Stadt" > wrote:
>
>> "Orval Fairbairn" > wrote in message

>> > That is just part of Mayor Daley's "Green" agenda for Illinois. After
>> > all, the Gov. is in Daley's hip pocket.
>>
>> Actually the gov has pretty much burned that bridge and a bunch of
>> others.
>> He is currently under federal investigation for contract
>> "irregularities."
>
> If we are lucky, he will take Daley with him. Mongo needs some new
> friends to play with in his cell.

I've come to the conclusion that when the Feds "Cleaned up Chicago" with
regards to organized crime they were simply getting rid of the competition
for the politicians.

Skylune
November 2nd 05, 05:45 PM
Damn! The FAA really gave Mayor Daley a spanking after he closed Megis.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/TRAVEL/10/26/ohare.expansion.ap/

George Patterson
November 2nd 05, 05:50 PM
wrote:

> We'll take our toys elsewhere, you meanees! JG

They're pointing out that Illinois is losing more money in income taxes due to
lost jobs than it's gaining on the taxes on aircraft. This is typical. Several
years ago, Congress levied a luxury tax on the sale of new aircraft. They
rescinded it a year or so later when Beechcraft produced the cancellation orders
they received and pointed out that the lost income tax revenue at their company
alone was greater than the entire revenue from the luxury tax.

Illinois is facing the same situation.

George Patterson
Drink is the curse of the land. It makes you quarrel with your neighbor.
It makes you shoot at your landlord. And it makes you miss him.

Skylune
November 2nd 05, 06:13 PM
by George Patterson > Nov 2, 2005 at 05:50 PM

wrote:

> We'll take our toys elsewhere, you meanees! JG

They're pointing out that Illinois is losing more money in income taxes
due to
lost jobs than it's gaining on the taxes on aircraft. This is typical.
Several
years ago, Congress levied a luxury tax on the sale of new aircraft. They

rescinded it a year or so later when Beechcraft produced the cancellation
orders
they received and pointed out that the lost income tax revenue at their
company
alone was greater than the entire revenue from the luxury tax.

Illinois is facing the same situation."

The tax subsidies that GA manufacturers receive, and that airports get
from the FAA for capital and operating purposes, of course encourage
overproduction (and overusage) by distorting economic behaviour. (The
AOPA of course realizes that GA is very heavily subsidized - thus their
mostly absurd and disingenous arguments against user fees.) By
subsidizing a particular industry, other pieces of the economy will need
to be taxed at higher levels to compensate. Why not eliminate sales taxes
on tractors, to benefit farmers? More people would work for John Deere
then, and pay income taxes. How about eliminating sales taxes on
automobiles, to benefit the Big 4? They pay great wages and benefits, and
are a critical component of the national economy. They should be
subsidized.

George Patterson
November 2nd 05, 06:20 PM
Skylune wrote:

> Why not eliminate sales taxes
> on tractors, to benefit farmers?

Apples & oranges here. Light planes are luxury items. Tax them too much, and
fewer get bought. The only way a sales tax can work in conjunction with an
income tax is to tax necessities.

George Patterson
Drink is the curse of the land. It makes you quarrel with your neighbor.
It makes you shoot at your landlord. And it makes you miss him.

Paul kgyy
November 2nd 05, 06:26 PM
My annual is coming due. Where can I go near Chicago where it won't be
taxed? I know Indiana taxes sales so assume they also tax maintenance.

Skylune
November 2nd 05, 06:41 PM
Re: Tax man is Unfriendly, Boo Hoo!
by George Patterson > Nov 2, 2005 at 06:20 PM

Skylune wrote:

> Why not eliminate sales taxes
> on tractors, to benefit farmers?

Apples & oranges here. Light planes are luxury items. Tax them too much,
and
fewer get bought. The only way a sales tax can work in conjunction with
an

income tax is to tax necessities.

George Patterson
Drink is the curse of the land. It makes you quarrel with your
neighbor.
It makes you shoot at your landlord. And it makes you miss him

George: U seem to be a reasonable guy, and your punch lines (Drink is the
curse of the land....) are awesome. But, are you seriously proposing
applying the sales and use tax to pharmaceuticals, groceries and
clothing, while having nonessential purchases such as light aircraft
exempt?

All I am saying is that purchase of an aircraft (and maintenance) should
be subject to the sales tax. Exempting it distorts economic behaviour and
means that other sectors must be taxed more heavily, in order to compensate
for the "tax expenditure." (Notice the period inside the quotation mark
-- I don't want criticism here!)

Skylune
November 2nd 05, 06:47 PM
Re: Tax man is Unfriendly, Boo Hoo!
by "Paul kgyy" > Nov 2, 2005 at 10:26 AM

My annual is coming due. Where can I go near Chicago where it won't be
taxed? I know Indiana taxes sales so assume they also tax maintenance.

Fly into O'Hare would be best. They have spare capacity. Indiana
probably has a use tax (I can check for you if you'd like). If so, by
going out of state to avoid paying the tax, you would be guilty of tax
evasion. Now I know the states generally don't enforce the use tax very
well (except for new auto purchases), but if they become aware of big
ticket items that are escaping their tax structure, they will sometimes
act.

W P Dixon
November 2nd 05, 07:13 PM
Correct me if I am wrong here George,
I believe what George is speaking of is the luxury tax on an item like
an airplane, which is at a higher rate than buying your car or food. If one
must pay taxes on something he purchased then let him pay the same rate as
everyone else, not be singled out because of the item. One might even say
that is discrimination.
And for the record I do not think prescriptions or food should be taxed
at all for the consumer. :)

Patrick
student SP
aircraft structural mech

"Skylune" > wrote in message
lkaboutaviation.com...
> Re: Tax man is Unfriendly, Boo Hoo!
> by George Patterson > Nov 2, 2005 at 06:20 PM
>

> Skylune wrote:
>
>> Why not eliminate sales taxes
>> on tractors, to benefit farmers?
>
> Apples & oranges here. Light planes are luxury items. Tax them too much,
> and
> fewer get bought. The only way a sales tax can work in conjunction with
> an
>
> income tax is to tax necessities.
>
> George Patterson
> Drink is the curse of the land. It makes you quarrel with your
> neighbor.
> It makes you shoot at your landlord. And it makes you miss him
>
> George: U seem to be a reasonable guy, and your punch lines (Drink is the
> curse of the land....) are awesome. But, are you seriously proposing
> applying the sales and use tax to pharmaceuticals, groceries and
> clothing, while having nonessential purchases such as light aircraft
> exempt?
>
> All I am saying is that purchase of an aircraft (and maintenance) should
> be subject to the sales tax. Exempting it distorts economic behaviour and
> means that other sectors must be taxed more heavily, in order to
> compensate
> for the "tax expenditure." (Notice the period inside the quotation mark
> -- I don't want criticism here!)

Gig 601XL Builder
November 2nd 05, 08:36 PM
"Skylune" > wrote in message
lkaboutaviation.com...
> Re: Tax man is Unfriendly, Boo Hoo!
> by George Patterson > Nov 2, 2005 at 06:20 PM
>

> Skylune wrote:
>
>> Why not eliminate sales taxes
>> on tractors, to benefit farmers?
>
> Apples & oranges here. Light planes are luxury items. Tax them too much,
> and
> fewer get bought. The only way a sales tax can work in conjunction with
> an
>
> income tax is to tax necessities.
>
> George Patterson
> Drink is the curse of the land. It makes you quarrel with your
> neighbor.
> It makes you shoot at your landlord. And it makes you miss him
>
> George: U seem to be a reasonable guy, and your punch lines (Drink is the
> curse of the land....) are awesome. But, are you seriously proposing
> applying the sales and use tax to pharmaceuticals, groceries and
> clothing, while having nonessential purchases such as light aircraft
> exempt?
>
> All I am saying is that purchase of an aircraft (and maintenance) should
> be subject to the sales tax. Exempting it distorts economic behaviour and
> means that other sectors must be taxed more heavily, in order to
> compensate
> for the "tax expenditure." (Notice the period inside the quotation mark
> -- I don't want criticism here!)

Oh S-lune, you have proven that you nothing of aviation and now you have
widened your cluelessness into economics. Any tax distorts economic
behavior. If you are a government and are making say $1million on the
payroll taxes of people working in the aviation industry. If you then put a
tax on the purchase of aircraft you will have a drop in the sales of
aircraft which will cause there to be less than projected income from the
purchase tax as well as lower income from the original payroll tax.

Sylvain
November 2nd 05, 09:16 PM
George Patterson wrote:
>> Why not eliminate sales taxes on tractors, to benefit farmers?
> Apples & oranges here. Light planes are luxury items. Tax them too much,
> and fewer get bought. The only way a sales tax can work in conjunction
> with an income tax is to tax necessities.

besides, it is a lot easier to take an aircraft out of the state
than a tractor...

--Sylvain

Skylune
November 2nd 05, 10:05 PM
by "Gig 601XL Builder" <wr.giacona@coxDOTnet> Nov 2, 2005 at 02:36
Oh S-lune, you have proven that you nothing of aviation and now you have
widened your cluelessness into economics. Any tax distorts economic
behavior. If you are a government and are making say $1million on the
payroll taxes of people working in the aviation industry. If you then put
tax on the purchase of aircraft you will have a drop in the sales of
aircraft which will cause there to be less than projected income from the

purchase tax as well as lower income from the original payroll tax

Skylune
November 2nd 05, 10:11 PM
by "Gig 601XL Builder" <wr.giacona@coxDOTnet> Nov 2, 2005 at 02:36 PM

"Skylune" > wrote in message
lkaboutaviation.com...
> Re: Tax man is Unfriendly, Boo Hoo!
> by George Patterson > Nov 2, 2005 at 06:20 PM
>

> Skylune wrote:
>
>> Why not eliminate sales taxes
>> on tractors, to benefit farmers?
>
> Apples & oranges here. Light planes are luxury items. Tax them too
much,
> and
> fewer get bought. The only way a sales tax can work in conjunction with
> an
>
> income tax is to tax necessities.
>
> George Patterson
> Drink is the curse of the land. It makes you quarrel with your
> neighbor.
> It makes you shoot at your landlord. And it makes you miss him
>
> George: U seem to be a reasonable guy, and your punch lines (Drink is
the
> curse of the land....) are awesome. But, are you seriously proposing
> applying the sales and use tax to pharmaceuticals, groceries and
> clothing, while having nonessential purchases such as light aircraft
> exempt?
>
> All I am saying is that purchase of an aircraft (and maintenance)
should
> be subject to the sales tax. Exempting it distorts economic behaviour
and
> means that other sectors must be taxed more heavily, in order to
> compensate
> for the "tax expenditure." (Notice the period inside the quotation
mark
> -- I don't want criticism here!)

Oh S-lune, you have proven that you nothing of aviation and now you have
widened your cluelessness into economics. Any tax distorts economic
behavior. If you are a government and are making say $1million on the
purchase tax as well as lower income from the original payroll tax."

Wow, You really need to stick to aviation. Define "payroll tax" and how
this differs from an Income tax. What on earth is a "purchase tax?" No
state in the nation has that, nor does the federal government. And when
you say "any tax distorts economic behaviour," that is simply incorrect.

The question here is whether airplane purchases should be exempt from
sales taxes. Not whether "luxury taxes" should be re-imposed: these also
distort economic behaviour (in the oppposite direction as subsidies or tax
exemptions, obviously).

Quick Econ 101 recap: A tax which is broad based (i.e. limited
exemptions) with a low rate does not distort economic behaviour.

George Patterson
November 3rd 05, 03:44 AM
Skylune wrote:

> All I am saying is that purchase of an aircraft (and maintenance) should
> be subject to the sales tax.

And all *I* am saying is that the current method of taxing maintenance of
aircraft in Illinois is *costing* the State money instead of producing revenue.
That's the real world, and that makes it a poor tax. The State was making more
money before the tax was incorporated, and they will make more within a few
years of repealing it. If they retain it, fewer and fewer people will pay it
(they'll take their planes to another State with lower taxes), more and more
businesses will go under, and less and less income tax will be collected.

George Patterson
Drink is the curse of the land. It makes you quarrel with your neighbor.
It makes you shoot at your landlord. And it makes you miss him.

George Patterson
November 3rd 05, 03:54 AM
W P Dixon wrote:

> I believe what George is speaking of is the luxury tax on an item
> like an airplane, which is at a higher rate than buying your car or
> food.

Actually, I was using the Federal luxury tax as an example of what is going on
here on the State level. As far as luxury taxes go, it really doesn't matter
what the rate is. Any tax at all will decrease the amount of product purchased
because people don't *have* to buy it. You will find X number of people who will
buy a mink coat at Y amount. Increase the price by 5%, and X goes down; usually
by a lot more than 5%. In any situation in which much of your revenue comes from
an income tax, you've just lost money because the sellers' income just went down
and they just laid off part of their work force.

If both a sales tax and an income tax are factors, you *have* to concentrate the
sales taxes on necessities like food to achieve a net increase in revenue.
People *have* to buy food.

In the Illinois situation, people who own aircraft can avoid the Illinois tax on
big-ticket maintenance items by taking the plane elsewhere. When you're talking
about someone with a few Citations (or larger aircraft), you're talking about a
big loss to business. The State is losing the income taxes from the mechanics
who used to work there, and is not gaining much from the new sales tax ('cause
people aren't paying it).

George Patterson
Drink is the curse of the land. It makes you quarrel with your neighbor.
It makes you shoot at your landlord. And it makes you miss him.

George Patterson
November 3rd 05, 03:56 AM

Bull****.

George Patterson
Drink is the curse of the land. It makes you quarrel with your neighbor.
It makes you shoot at your landlord. And it makes you miss him.

W P Dixon
November 3rd 05, 04:03 AM
I got ya!,
Ask TN how there state sales tax hike is going! ;) Most of us spend our
money in neighboring states for big ticket items to avoid the tax.
Thankfully we don't pay tax on income though.

Patrick
student SP
aircraft structural mech

"George Patterson" > wrote in message
>W P Dixon wrote:
>
>> I believe what George is speaking of is the luxury tax on an item like
>> an airplane, which is at a higher rate than buying your car or food.
>
> Actually, I was using the Federal luxury tax as an example of what is
> going on here on the State level. As far as luxury taxes go, it really
> doesn't matter what the rate is. Any tax at all will decrease the amount
> of product purchased because people don't *have* to buy it. You will find
> X number of people who will buy a mink coat at Y amount. Increase the
> price by 5%, and X goes down; usually by a lot more than 5%. In any
> situation in which much of your revenue comes from an income tax, you've
> just lost money because the sellers' income just went down and they just
> laid off part of their work force.
>
> If both a sales tax and an income tax are factors, you *have* to
> concentrate the sales taxes on necessities like food to achieve a net
> increase in revenue. People *have* to buy food.
>
> In the Illinois situation, people who own aircraft can avoid the Illinois
> tax on big-ticket maintenance items by taking the plane elsewhere. When
> you're talking about someone with a few Citations (or larger aircraft),
> you're talking about a big loss to business. The State is losing the
> income taxes from the mechanics who used to work there, and is not gaining
> much from the new sales tax ('cause people aren't paying it).
>
> George Patterson
> Drink is the curse of the land. It makes you quarrel with your
> neighbor.
> It makes you shoot at your landlord. And it makes you miss him.

Skylune
November 3rd 05, 03:20 PM
by George Patterson > Nov 3, 2005 at 03:56 AM

Skylune wrote:

> If so, by
> going out of state to avoid paying the tax, you would be guilty of tax
> evasion.

Bull****.

George Patterson
Drink is the curse of the land. It makes you quarrel with your
neighbor.
It makes you shoot at your landlord. And it makes you miss him.

George: Sorry. Look up what a "Use tax" is. I'm not saying its right
or
wrong, but it applies the sales tax rate to out of state purchases. If
the
state in question has a use tax, and the service or goods purchased out
of
state are subject to the tax, you owe it. Its not well enforced. But
try
going to a state that has no sales tax (e.g. New Hampshire or Washington)
and buying a car. They will charge you your home state's tax -- that is
the "use tax." In fact, this particular tax is usually called the "sales
and use tax" in most states. People just shorten it to sales tax, and many
are not aware the tax is also applicable to out of state purchases.

George Patterson
November 3rd 05, 03:55 PM
Skylune wrote:

> George: Sorry. Look up what a "Use tax" is. I'm not saying its right
> or
> wrong, but it applies the sales tax rate to out of state purchases.

Purchases. Not services.

George Patterson
Drink is the curse of the land. It makes you quarrel with your neighbor.
It makes you shoot at your landlord. And it makes you miss him.

November 4th 05, 01:00 AM
George Patterson wrote:
>purchased
> because people don't *have* to buy it. You will find X number of people who will
> buy a mink coat at Y amount. Increase the price by 5%, and X goes down; usually
> by a lot more than 5%. In any situation in which much of your revenue comes from
> an income tax, you've just lost money because the sellers' income just went down
> and they just laid off part of their work force.
>
> If both a sales tax and an income tax are factors, you *have* to concentrate the
> sales taxes on necessities like food to achieve a net increase in revenue.
> People *have* to buy food.
>
> In the Illinois situation, people who own aircraft can avoid the Illinois tax on
> big-ticket maintenance items by taking the plane elsewhere. When you're talking
> about someone with a few Citations (or larger aircraft), you're talking about a
> big loss to business. The State is losing the income taxes from the mechanics
> who used to work there, and is not gaining much from the new sales tax ('cause
> people aren't paying it).

Well, the state income tax is 3 percent. It began at 2.5 under Ogilvie,
a Republican and
went to 3% under Edgar, also GOP. There's NO sales tax on Labor, so
only the parts
are taxed.

JG

November 4th 05, 01:04 AM
Steven Barnes wrote:
> Yup. We bought our Cherokee 3 months after gov. Rod Blafukusabunch
> implemented the use tax. I hope he enjoyed the extra 3 grand he cost us.

Unless there was some special break that I haven't heard of, the sales
tax has been
collected for decades, raised from 5 to 6 percent under Edgar/Thompson,
GOP.

Those special crash trucks with foam cannons are expensive, and not
beneficial
to the general community.

JG

> Bah.
>

> > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> > "Illinois lawmakers ought to drop the state's sales tax on aircraft and
> > aircraft parts so the industry can remain competitive, aviation
> > industry officials said at a meeting at DuPage Airport in West Chicago
> > Friday.
> > Ed Green, vice president and general manager of the Springfield- based
> > Garrett Aviation Service Centers, said 28 states do not have an
> > aviation tax and 20 states don't tax aircraft maintenance, either.
> > The taxes, he said, are disincentives for people to buy or service
> > aircraft in Illinois or to do business here at all.
> > "You have a mobile product. It's not a captive audience. They can go
> > anywhere to get maintenance done," he said.
>
> [snip]

Jose
November 4th 05, 04:15 AM
> Those special crash trucks with foam cannons are expensive, and not
> beneficial
> to the general community.

Neither are regular fire trucks. Only a few unlucky people need them.

Jose

November 22nd 05, 11:55 PM
Skylune wrote:
> Damn! The FAA really gave Mayor Daley a spanking after he closed Megis.
>
> http://www.cnn.com/2005/TRAVEL/10/26/ohare.expansion.ap/

Cha-Ching, those Billion $$ runways are on the way, maybe the old
rubble
from the CGX rr can be used as the base material ;)

Mayor Daley Monday got what he needed to continue with O'Hare Airport's
multibillion-dollar makeover -- federal cash to help foot the bill.

U.S. Transportation Secretary Norman Mineta signed a funding agreement
earmarking $337.2 million to be paid over 15 years for reconfiguring
the airfield, a move aimed at bringing more flights to O'Hare with
fewer delays.

Mineta said expanding O'Hare -- the world's busiest airport -- helps
the national aviation system.

JG

Bret Ludwig
November 23rd 05, 12:45 AM
George Patterson wrote:
> Skylune wrote:
>
> > Why not eliminate sales taxes
> > on tractors, to benefit farmers?
>
> Apples & oranges here. Light planes are luxury items. Tax them too much, and
> fewer get bought. The only way a sales tax can work in conjunction with an
> income tax is to tax necessities.

If you can afford to pay $750K for a Bonanza that should cost about a
hundred and fifty grand, you can afford to pay $850K. Once people
decide the tax isn't going away they will pay-the order cancellation
wave occurred because people figured they'd back down.

When the admittedly haples Jiminy Carter was President, his
agriculture man was asked how to save the family farm. He said: Tax
very severely all tractors bigger than a Ford 8N. He quickly added that
was not going to happen.

George Patterson
November 23rd 05, 03:25 AM
Bret Ludwig wrote:

> If you can afford to pay $750K for a Bonanza that should cost about a
> hundred and fifty grand, you can afford to pay $850K.

Bull****.

George Patterson
We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop
playing.

Skylune
November 23rd 05, 02:33 PM
by jgrove24@[EMAIL PROTECTED] Nov 22, 2005 at 03:55 PM

Skylune wrote:
> Damn! The FAA really gave Mayor Daley a spanking after he closed
Megis.

> http://www.cnn.com/2005/TRAVEL/10/26/ohare.expansion.ap/

Cha-Ching, those Billion $$ runways are on the way, maybe the old
rubble
from the CGX rr can be used as the base material ;)

Mayor Daley Monday got what he needed to continue with O'Hare Airport's
multibillion-dollar makeover -- federal cash to help foot the bill.

U.S. Transportation Secretary Norman Mineta signed a funding agreement
earmarking $337.2 million to be paid over 15 years for reconfiguring
the airfield, a move aimed at bringing more flights to O'Hare with
fewer delays.

Mineta said expanding O'Hare -- the world's busiest airport -- helps
the national aviation system.<<

It is hard to imagine a more aviation friendly mayor than the Honorable
Mayor Daley. Now there will be less flight delays into O'Hare, so people
won't miss the concerts on the lake.

Google