PDA

View Full Version : COMFAIRMED gone

Mike Weeks
November 1st 05, 10:14 PM
Some might be interested in knowing that Commander, Fleet Air
Mediterranean has gone away -- effective 20 Sept. 2005

In addition, staff consolidations are taking place between COMUSNAVEUR,
COMSIXTHFLT and what was COMFAIRMED

http://neds.daps.dla.mil/Directives/notices/3111_144.pdf

MW

Mike Kanze
November 2nd 05, 07:53 AM
....and bye-bye to London.

A former Lizard (VA-95) squadronmate of mine landed in NAVEUR for his twilight tour and found it quite agreeable duty. Home in Ealing, tube to / from Grosvernor (sp.?) Square, great night life, etc.

A far cry from life in the JO bunkroom, or crossing "Sh*t River" to / from Olongopo.
--
Mike Kanze

"Imitation is the sincerest form of mockery."

- Dogbert

"Mike Weeks" > wrote in message ups.com...
Some might be interested in knowing that Commander, Fleet Air
Mediterranean has gone away -- effective 20 Sept. 2005

In addition, staff consolidations are taking place between COMUSNAVEUR,
COMSIXTHFLT and what was COMFAIRMED

http://neds.daps.dla.mil/Directives/notices/3111_144.pdf

MW

Yeff
November 2nd 05, 10:12 AM
On Tue, 1 Nov 2005 23:53:34 -0800, Mike Kanze wrote:

> A far cry from life in the JO bunkroom, or crossing "Sh*t River" to /
> from Olongopo.

I spent almost four years at Clark. I knew little of Olongopo (besides
the prices rising and falling with the arrival/departure of the fleet)
but I thought it was the "perfume river" you crossed by bridge when
going from the base to the town?

Or did the name change by the quality of the company you happened to be
keeping when you mentioned it? <g>

--

-Jeff B.
zoomie at fastmail dot fm

Jim
November 2nd 05, 02:25 PM
You didn't like Potown?

Clearly, the trip across that bridge is a "life-defining" moment.

Mike Kanze
November 2nd 05, 07:11 PM
>You didn't like Potown?

As I said, it doesn't compare with London. Like apples to elephants...

I agree that visits to the 'Po were "life-defining," among many other adjectives one could apply. Wanchai (Hong Kong) had nothing on the 'Po.

--

"Jim" > wrote in message .. .
You didn't like Potown?

Clearly, the trip across that bridge is a "life-defining" moment.

Mike Kanze
November 2nd 05, 07:14 PM
>Or did the name change by the quality of the company you happened to be
keeping when you mentioned it? <g>

The name had everything to due with the aroma. No variance in the quality of one's peers could overcome it. It would leap onto your liberty clothes and permeate your hair for the entire evening and beyond.

--

"Yeff" > wrote in message ...
On Tue, 1 Nov 2005 23:53:34 -0800, Mike Kanze wrote:

> A far cry from life in the JO bunkroom, or crossing "Sh*t River" to /
> from Olongopo.

I spent almost four years at Clark. I knew little of Olongopo (besides
the prices rising and falling with the arrival/departure of the fleet)
but I thought it was the "perfume river" you crossed by bridge when
going from the base to the town?

Or did the name change by the quality of the company you happened to be
keeping when you mentioned it? <g>

--

-Jeff B.
zoomie at fastmail dot fm

Mike Weeks
November 2nd 05, 07:15 PM
Mike Kanze wrote:
> ...and bye-bye to London.
>
> A former Lizard (VA-95) squadronmate of mine landed in NAVEUR for his twilight tour and found it quite agreeable duty. Home in Ealing, tube to / from Grosvernor (sp.?) Square, great night life, etc.
>
> A far cry from life in the JO bunkroom, or crossing "Sh*t River" to / from Olongopo.

Not sure if it's common knowledge, but just in case it isn't; NAVEUR is
moving/has moved -- to Italy.

MW

Mike Kanze
November 2nd 05, 07:17 PM
That's the message I got from the link in your original post.

--

"Mike Weeks" > wrote in message oups.com...

Mike Kanze wrote:
> ...and bye-bye to London.
>
> A former Lizard (VA-95) squadronmate of mine landed in NAVEUR for his twilight tour and found it quite agreeable duty. Home in Ealing, tube to / from Grosvernor (sp.?) Square, great night life, etc.
>
> A far cry from life in the JO bunkroom, or crossing "Sh*t River" to / from Olongopo.

Not sure if it's common knowledge, but just in case it isn't; NAVEUR is
moving/has moved -- to Italy.

MW

W. D. Allen Sr.
November 2nd 05, 07:59 PM
Funny how these organizations seem to last half a century before they can
be
disestablished.
It has to do with the Navy's share of each year's DOD budget!

WDA
VA-192 1957-1959

end

"Mike Weeks" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Some might be interested in knowing that Commander, Fleet Air
> Mediterranean has gone away -- effective 20 Sept. 2005
>
> In addition, staff consolidations are taking place between COMUSNAVEUR,
> COMSIXTHFLT and what was COMFAIRMED
>
> http://neds.daps.dla.mil/Directives/notices/3111_144.pdf
>
> MW

It has removed 427 spam emails to date.
Try www.SPAMfighter.com for free now!

November 4th 05, 06:50 PM
Somewhere, I have a Midway "Sh*t River Centurian" patch. Never had the
cajones to sew it on the flight jacket tho... I can't remember if I
got it at Olongapo or elsewhere, but I haven't seen the patch in years.
Anyone else have one..?

I still dream about my flight jacket. In it, I am driving down the
street and I see some rangey looking mop-headed kid walking along
wearing my stolen flight jacket. In the dream, I pull over, knock him
to the ground and rip the jacket off of him, then beat him unconcious.
I'm sure you all can understand why I find comfort in this dream.

My jacket meant quite a lot to me - a giant VA-65 patch on one sleave
(first rescue), the names of three ships embroidered on the cuff of the
other, an Esso Australia Helicopter Division patch sewn on the inside
near the bottom of the zipper and a USS Kirk rocker above the cigarette
pocket. Why some punk ass kid had to steal it I will never know.

v/r
Gordon

Jim
November 4th 05, 07:41 PM
I seem to remember others having a patch similiar to the one you describe -
sewen inside of their jacket - but I can't remember if it was for PoTown or
not.

Was your jacket ripped-off there?

Mine wen't into the S. China Sea with my other gear stored in my crew bag.
A parthing gesture from one of my buddies.

Charlie Wolf
November 4th 05, 07:54 PM
On 4 Nov 2005 10:50:56 -0800, wrote:

>Somewhere, I have a Midway "Sh*t River Centurian" patch. Never had the
>cajones to sew it on the flight jacket tho... I can't remember if I
>got it at Olongapo or elsewhere, but I haven't seen the patch in years.
> Anyone else have one..?
>
>I still dream about my flight jacket. In it, I am driving down the
>street and I see some rangey looking mop-headed kid walking along
>wearing my stolen flight jacket. In the dream, I pull over, knock him
>to the ground and rip the jacket off of him, then beat him unconcious.
>I'm sure you all can understand why I find comfort in this dream.
>
>My jacket meant quite a lot to me - a giant VA-65 patch on one sleave
>(first rescue), the names of three ships embroidered on the cuff of the
>other, an Esso Australia Helicopter Division patch sewn on the inside
>near the bottom of the zipper and a USS Kirk rocker above the cigarette
>pocket. Why some punk ass kid had to steal it I will never know.
No offense guy - but the answer is "Because you wore it into town".

And by the way - BZ on your saves.
Regards,

>v/r
>Gordon

November 5th 05, 01:19 AM
>>Why some punk ass kid had to steal it I will never know.

>No offense guy - but the answer is "Because you wore it into town".

Naaa. It was in my car when the house was burglarized and the
departing skunks took the car as well. Found the car with a blown
engine on the side of I-5 the following day, but the jacket, watch,
wifey's jewelry, allllll gone.

> And by the way - BZ on your saves.

Thank you sir. The only thing positive I did with my life until I
began the grand experiment of child raising... :))

v/r Gordon

Gord Beaman
November 5th 05, 02:55 AM
wrote:

>>>Why some punk ass kid had to steal it I will never know.
>
>>No offense guy - but the answer is "Because you wore it into town".
>
>Naaa. It was in my car when the house was burglarized and the
>departing skunks took the car as well. Found the car with a blown
>engine on the side of I-5 the following day, but the jacket, watch,
>wifey's jewelry, allllll gone.
>
>> And by the way - BZ on your saves.
>
>Thank you sir. The only thing positive I did with my life until I
>began the grand experiment of child raising... :))
>
>v/r Gordon

Yep...I agree with that sentiment too...did it (X4). They all
turned out fine, gave me lotsa grandbabies! (8)...fun stuff...
--

-Gord.
(use gordon in email)

Google