PDA

View Full Version : airplane noise can impair young students

November 4th 05, 01:05 AM
New research shows that airplane noise can impair reading and memory
abilities of young students.

A team of researchers from Mexico, Bosnia, Latvia and the Ivory Coast
studied 50 children (ages 9-10 years old) who attended James Graham
Elementary in Newark, California. The researchers found that as
airplane noise around a school increased, students' reading
comprehension scores decreased. Airplane noise was also related to
lower scores on a memory recognition test. There was no relationship
between road (cars, trucks, motorcycles) traffic noise and reading or
memory test scores and the data were not related to the socioeconomic
status of students.

These results suggest that airplane noise may affect the ability of
children to learn in school. The scientists believe that airplane noise
may distract students from their schoolwork and lead to problems with
reading and memory. For example, children might tune out unwanted noise
such as that from an airplane, but in doing so, they will also pay less
attention to their teacher. Planes flying over a school may also
disrupt a teacher's ability to communicate with students.

Effective ways to fight airplane noise are needed. An obvious solution
would be to shut down the Palo Alto Airport.

Tom Conner
November 4th 05, 01:26 AM
> wrote in message
ups.com...
> New research shows that airplane noise can impair reading and memory
> abilities of young students.

This is old news. Also, if you are going to talk about a report then you
need to provide a link to the report so others can determine if you are
correctly reading the report.

Bob Noel
November 4th 05, 02:04 AM
In article om>,
wrote:

[snip]
> These results suggest that airplane noise may affect the ability of
> children to learn in school. The scientists believe that airplane noise
> may distract students from their schoolwork and lead to problems with
> reading and memory. For example, children might tune out unwanted noise
> such as that from an airplane, but in doing so, they will also pay less
> attention to their teacher. Planes flying over a school may also
> disrupt a teacher's ability to communicate with students.

I know that airplane noise interrupts me at work.

I hear the plane and want to go flying!!!!

> Effective ways to fight airplane noise are needed. An obvious solution
> would be to shut down the Palo Alto Airport.

An obvious solution would be to move the d*** school

--
Bob Noel
no one likes an educated mule

BTIZ
November 4th 05, 02:27 AM
interesting that it took a study from 4 countries outside the US
maybe because the US study did not agree with the outcome desired by those
wanting the airport closed?

Move the school... and if this one is so close to the airport.. make it an
aviation school

BT

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> New research shows that airplane noise can impair reading and memory
> abilities of young students.
>
> A team of researchers from Mexico, Bosnia, Latvia and the Ivory Coast
> studied 50 children (ages 9-10 years old) who attended James Graham
> Elementary in Newark, California. The researchers found that as
> airplane noise around a school increased, students' reading
> comprehension scores decreased. Airplane noise was also related to
> lower scores on a memory recognition test. There was no relationship
> between road (cars, trucks, motorcycles) traffic noise and reading or
> memory test scores and the data were not related to the socioeconomic
> status of students.
>
> These results suggest that airplane noise may affect the ability of
> children to learn in school. The scientists believe that airplane noise
> may distract students from their schoolwork and lead to problems with
> reading and memory. For example, children might tune out unwanted noise
> such as that from an airplane, but in doing so, they will also pay less
> attention to their teacher. Planes flying over a school may also
> disrupt a teacher's ability to communicate with students.
>
> Effective ways to fight airplane noise are needed. An obvious solution
> would be to shut down the Palo Alto Airport.

BTIZ
November 4th 05, 02:28 AM
the same can be said for saw mills, construction sites or major highways..
don't build schools next to loud noisy polluting cars..

BT

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> New research shows that airplane noise can impair reading and memory
> abilities of young students.
>
> A team of researchers from Mexico, Bosnia, Latvia and the Ivory Coast
> studied 50 children (ages 9-10 years old) who attended James Graham
> Elementary in Newark, California. The researchers found that as
> airplane noise around a school increased, students' reading
> comprehension scores decreased. Airplane noise was also related to
> lower scores on a memory recognition test. There was no relationship
> between road (cars, trucks, motorcycles) traffic noise and reading or
> memory test scores and the data were not related to the socioeconomic
> status of students.
>
> These results suggest that airplane noise may affect the ability of
> children to learn in school. The scientists believe that airplane noise
> may distract students from their schoolwork and lead to problems with
> reading and memory. For example, children might tune out unwanted noise
> such as that from an airplane, but in doing so, they will also pay less
> attention to their teacher. Planes flying over a school may also
> disrupt a teacher's ability to communicate with students.
>
> Effective ways to fight airplane noise are needed. An obvious solution
> would be to shut down the Palo Alto Airport.

Orval Fairbairn
November 4th 05, 03:31 AM
In article om>,
wrote:

> New research shows that airplane noise can impair reading and memory
> abilities of young students.
>
> A team of researchers from Mexico, Bosnia, Latvia and the Ivory Coast
> studied 50 children (ages 9-10 years old) who attended James Graham
> Elementary in Newark, California. The researchers found that as
> airplane noise around a school increased, students' reading
> comprehension scores decreased. Airplane noise was also related to
> lower scores on a memory recognition test. There was no relationship
> between road (cars, trucks, motorcycles) traffic noise and reading or
> memory test scores and the data were not related to the socioeconomic
> status of students.
>
> These results suggest that airplane noise may affect the ability of
> children to learn in school. The scientists believe that airplane noise
> may distract students from their schoolwork and lead to problems with
> reading and memory. For example, children might tune out unwanted noise
> such as that from an airplane, but in doing so, they will also pay less
> attention to their teacher. Planes flying over a school may also
> disrupt a teacher's ability to communicate with students.
>
> Effective ways to fight airplane noise are needed. An obvious solution
> would be to shut down the Palo Alto Airport.

The studies are only for very large, commercial, airports and have
absolutely NO relationship to small, GA airports. The above posting is
just another example of how far the anti-GA forces will stretch the
truth, and outright lie, to bolster their agenda.

An obvious solution is for the anti-GA types to stop lying and
exaggerating and to say simply that they hate and envy pilots and
anybody else who appears to be doing better than themselves.

Jose
November 4th 05, 04:09 AM
Is this the same group that did the Di-hidrogen Oxide study? Or the one
that found that saliva is deadly when consumed at small doses over long
enough periods of time?

Any claim, study, or proof that X impacts Y is meaningless unless some
quantitative relationship is shown: just how much of X does just how
much impact to Y.

The study may have had this quantitative data, but the post didn't.
Therefore it cannot be concluded from the post that the impact is
relevant. Assuming it was a good study (and did have the data), the
omission of this information from the post is evidence that the impact
is =not= relevant, but the poster does not want to give that away since
it undermines the alarm the poster would otherwise create.

Therefore, I dismiss it totally.

Jose

Jeff
November 4th 05, 04:46 AM
Not to mention that I'd bet you $10 that you'd be hard pressed to find a GA
airport that was built near a school. My experience has been that the
airport was in existence for 30 years and then they put the school 1/4 mile
from the threshold.

jf

"Jose" > wrote in message
> Is this the same group that did the Di-hidrogen Oxide study? Or the one
> that found that saliva is deadly when consumed at small doses over long
> enough periods of time?
>
> Any claim, study, or proof that X impacts Y is meaningless unless some
> quantitative relationship is shown: just how much of X does just how much
> impact to Y.
>
> The study may have had this quantitative data, but the post didn't.
> Therefore it cannot be concluded from the post that the impact is
> relevant. Assuming it was a good study (and did have the data), the
> omission of this information from the post is evidence that the impact is
> =not= relevant, but the poster does not want to give that away since it
> undermines the alarm the poster would otherwise create.
>
> Therefore, I dismiss it totally.
>
> Jose
> --
> Money: what you need when you run out of brains.
> for Email, make the obvious change in the address.

Jose
November 4th 05, 04:53 AM
> Not to mention that I'd bet you $10 that you'd be hard pressed to find a GA
> airport that was built near a school. My experience has been that the
> airport was in existence for 30 years and then they put the school 1/4 mile
> from the threshold.

Not hard pressed at all. My home airport fills the bill. From
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danbury,_Connecticut

From http://www.woosterschool.org/oncampus/history/

> So the charter of Wooster School was registered with the State of Connecticut in November, 1925, and the school opened the following fall.

I bet a lot of places are like that. Both the school and the airport go
way back. Schools were invented before airplanes, so if they both go
back far enough, the school will win.

Jose

Jeff
November 4th 05, 05:08 AM
But I can give you 15 for every one you name. Granted the school and the
airport you mentioned are older than the average, but within 30 miles of me
I can name several airports (MRC, 2M2, heck BNA for that matter) that were
all built "in the boonies" so they wouldn't bother anyone. Now the urban
creep has caught them and they're facing the noise complaints that we've all
seen before.

Note to self: If there is an airport next door to the house I'm thinking
about buying, it's MY FAULT if I buy the house and don't like airplane
noise.

jf

"Jose" > wrote in message
>> Not to mention that I'd bet you $10 that you'd be hard pressed to find a
>> GA airport that was built near a school. My experience has been that the
>> airport was in existence for 30 years and then they put the school 1/4
>> mile from the threshold.
>
> Not hard pressed at all. My home airport fills the bill. From
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danbury,_Connecticut
>
>> A 60 acre (243,000 mē) tract near the Danbury Fairgrounds known as
>> Tucker's Field was purchased by local pilots in 1928, and leased to the
>> town. This became an airport, which is now Danbury Municipal Airport
>> (ICAO airport code: KDXR).
>
> From http://www.woosterschool.org/oncampus/history/
>
>> So the charter of Wooster School was registered with the State of
>> Connecticut in November, 1925, and the school opened the following fall.
>
> I bet a lot of places are like that. Both the school and the airport go
> way back. Schools were invented before airplanes, so if they both go back
> far enough, the school will win.
>
> Jose
> --
> Money: what you need when you run out of brains.
> for Email, make the obvious change in the address.

Greg Farris
November 4th 05, 08:47 AM
In article <vGzaf.575$zu6.478@fed1read04>, says...

>the same can be said for saw mills, construction sites or major highways..
>don't build schools next to loud noisy polluting cars..

No no - you've misunderstood. The eminent Latvian scientists have ruled out
all other sources of noise. It's exclusively airplane noise that has this
effect on students.

Cub Driver
November 4th 05, 10:42 AM
On 3 Nov 2005 17:05:24 -0800, wrote:

>A team of researchers from Mexico, Bosnia, Latvia and the Ivory Coast
>studied 50 children (ages 9-10 years old) who attended James Graham
>Elementary in Newark, California.

And can we assume that the American taxpayer picked up the tab for
this junket?

The Ivory Coast?

Bosnia?

Are there no qualified noise researchers in California?

-- all the best, Dan Ford

email: usenet AT danford DOT net

Warbird's Forum: www.warbirdforum.com
Piper Cub Forum: www.pipercubforum.com
the blog: www.danford.net
In Search of Lost Time: www.readingproust.com

Cub Driver
November 4th 05, 10:46 AM
On Thu, 3 Nov 2005 22:46:47 -0600, "Jeff" > wrote:

>Not to mention that I'd bet you $10 that you'd be hard pressed to find a GA
>airport that was built near a school. My experience has been that the
>airport was in existence for 30 years and then they put the school 1/4 mile
>from the threshold.

This is the case where I fly, except that the airport is a lot older
than 30 years! More like 70.

The (modern) high school is about half a mile northeast of the
"threshold" of 02. It's a temptation to use it as a point to turn
base, but I usually resist.

-- all the best, Dan Ford

email: usenet AT danford DOT net

Warbird's Forum: www.warbirdforum.com
Piper Cub Forum: www.pipercubforum.com
the blog: www.danford.net
In Search of Lost Time: www.readingproust.com

Cub Driver
November 4th 05, 10:50 AM
On Fri, 04 Nov 2005 04:53:37 GMT, Jose >
wrote:

>I bet a lot of places are like that. Both the school and the airport go
>way back. Schools were invented before airplanes, so if they both go
>back far enough, the school will win.

As a rule, however, schools weren't built out in the country until the
consolidation craze of the 1960s, by which time most airports were
already in existence. All the schools I attended (seven) were
downtown.

In one case, funnily enough, I lived right by the airport (now
Skyhaven in Rochester NH) and was bused into town for school.

-- all the best, Dan Ford

email: usenet AT danford DOT net

Warbird's Forum: www.warbirdforum.com
Piper Cub Forum: www.pipercubforum.com
the blog: www.danford.net
In Search of Lost Time: www.readingproust.com

Steve Foley
November 4th 05, 11:54 AM
50 Students from the same school? Where was the control group? This is a
sample size of 1.

This sounds alot like the study that proves tornados are caused by paved
roads. As the number of miles of paved roads increased, so did ths number of
reported tornados.

I think the researchers from Mexico, Bosnia, Latvia and the Ivory Coast need
to work on their methods.

> wrote in message
ups.com...

> A team of researchers from Mexico, Bosnia, Latvia and the Ivory Coast
> studied 50 children (ages 9-10 years old) who attended James Graham
> Elementary in Newark, California. The researchers found that as
> airplane noise around a school increased, students' reading
> comprehension scores decreased.

Greg Farris
November 4th 05, 01:54 PM
In fairness to the OP (who has not shown us the same courtesy) there is no
link to the study itself, so we cannot know how serious it is, or to what
degree the info blurb is paraphrasing (or distorting). Doubt is cast on the
sincerity of the resume by the ending catchline about a possible solution
(closing the airport) but again this line is not clearly attributed to the
researchers (or to anyone else for that matter).

Personally, I have no difficulty in believing that continuous noise from
large, metropolitan airports has a tiring and stress-inducing effect on many
people, and could be detrimental to concentration in any school placed
nearby.

Since both schools and airports are necessary to our society and economy,
every effort should be made not to build schools next to large airports, and
those who have done so should be relocated.Such an initiative could be taken
on a "commmon sense" basis, without need to spend more millions on scientific
studies.

G Faris

Andrew Gideon
November 4th 05, 07:20 PM
Bob Noel wrote:

> I know that airplane noise interrupts me at work.
>
> I hear the plane and want to go flying!!!!

My office has two windows, one of which looks over ("under?") the VOR-DME-A
into KTEB. A fair amount of VFR traffic also crosses my view (likely
inbound to TEB as well).

It is quite disruptive. I've ceased taking my aviation radio into work,
which helps...but still, I see them and I want to join them.

I could easily see students having this problem. The solution is to give
them some experience with aviation. Get them to an airport, an aviation
museum, or - best - get them flying. It won't end the distraction (it
could make it worse if I'm to be an example {8^), but at least there'll be
that extra achievement too. And, with luck, motivation to study for [at
least] the PPL.

Seriously, I do wonder which is more time consuming: wishing I was flying
knowing that I can and do, or wishing that I was flying not knowing how to
get involved. The latter certainly seems more emotionally draining (not to
mention: just plain sad).

Get the kids flying, and see what that does to their memory and study
habits.

- Andrew

Andrew Gideon
November 4th 05, 07:23 PM
Cub Driver <usenet AT danford DOT net> wrote:

> Are there no qualified noise researchers in California?

Apparently, the only noise researchers in CA are qualified. Thus, they
could not produce the required "study".

- Andrew

Skylune
November 4th 05, 08:27 PM
Who will pay for the relocation of schools in order to accomodate the
nearby airport? (I assume you mean that the schools, rather than the
airport be relocated.)

george
November 4th 05, 08:27 PM
Cub Driver wrote:
> On Thu, 3 Nov 2005 22:46:47 -0600, "Jeff" > wrote:
>
> >Not to mention that I'd bet you $10 that you'd be hard pressed to find a GA
> >airport that was built near a school. My experience has been that the
> >airport was in existence for 30 years and then they put the school 1/4 mile
> >from the threshold.
>
> This is the case where I fly, except that the airport is a lot older
> than 30 years! More like 70.
>
> The (modern) high school is about half a mile northeast of the
> "threshold" of 02. It's a temptation to use it as a point to turn
> base, but I usually resist.

Well. As a pilot I'm all for noise.
It's the sudden absense of engine noise that I'm against ! :-)

November 4th 05, 08:44 PM

What a coinky-dink... I just moved my Lance up from Bridgeport to
Danbury. Which FBO do you keep your plane at Jose? Or do you rent?

Steve Foley
November 4th 05, 08:49 PM
"Skylune" > wrote in message
lkaboutaviation.com...
> Who will pay for the relocation of schools in order to accomodate the
> nearby airport? (I assume you mean that the schools, rather than the
> airport be relocated.)

The gubmint, who else?

Actually, the life expectancy of an airport is far longer than the life
expectancy of a school. My town has had the privilege of buying two new high
schools in the past thirty years. We only use one.

Jose
November 4th 05, 08:59 PM
> What a coinky-dink... I just moved my Lance up from Bridgeport to
> Danbury. Which FBO do you keep your plane at Jose? Or do you rent?

I'm a member of the Flying 20 Club (http://www.flying20club.org), and we
keep our planes (two Archers and a Dakota) at Reliant. I have some pics
of me and the Dakota at SnF last year I keep meaning to send to the
Alexis Rogues Gallery. Where's your Lance?

Jose

Darrel Toepfer
November 4th 05, 09:00 PM
Steve Foley wrote:
> "Skylune" > wrote...
>
>>Who will pay for the relocation of schools in order to accomodate the
>>nearby airport? (I assume you mean that the schools, rather than the
>>airport be relocated.)
>
> The gubmint, who else?
>
> Actually, the life expectancy of an airport is far longer than the life
> expectancy of a school. My town has had the privilege of buying two new high
> schools in the past thirty years. We only use one.

They built the high school football field where the old grass strip
airport was here at 4R7. "New" paved airport was built 3 or 4 miles
away. The grass strip prior to that was closer into town...

Greg Farris
November 4th 05, 09:29 PM
In article
utaviation.com>,
says...

>Who will pay for the relocation of schools in order to accomodate the
>nearby airport? (I assume you mean that the schools, rather than the
>airport be relocated.)

How does one "accomodate" something that was there decades before one
ever moved in?

revdmv
November 4th 05, 09:48 PM
I used to work off the end of the Miramar at UTC, there was serious
window gazing going on at all times.

Also I grew up in Fresno during the 70's and the Air National Guard
unit was outfitted with F106's. There was no noise like couple of those
birds screaming out of FAT at full afterburner. Class would pause, and
then go on.

gatt
November 5th 05, 12:33 AM
"Jeff" > wrote in message

> Note to self: If there is an airport next door to the house I'm thinking
> about buying, it's MY FAULT if I buy the house and don't like airplane
> noise.

I live under Sandy River Arrival for PDX 28L and 28R...that's TWO
international airport runways also featuring a squadron of F-15s, and the
approach to Troutdale, so I have aircraft over my house all day. The PDX
heavies and F-15s lower their gear and throttle up about right over my
house. It's so damned loud I can't hear the neighbors' dogs barking.

Glorious! (But, to be fair, there were no jets, Arrivals or runways 28L
and 28R when my house was built. C'est la vie say the old folks...)

-c

Orval Fairbairn
November 5th 05, 04:03 AM
In article e.com>,
Andrew Gideon > wrote:

> Bob Noel wrote:
>
> > I know that airplane noise interrupts me at work.
> >
> > I hear the plane and want to go flying!!!!
>
> My office has two windows, one of which looks over ("under?") the VOR-DME-A
> into KTEB. A fair amount of VFR traffic also crosses my view (likely
> inbound to TEB as well).
>
> It is quite disruptive. I've ceased taking my aviation radio into work,
> which helps...but still, I see them and I want to join them.
>
> I could easily see students having this problem. The solution is to give
> them some experience with aviation. Get them to an airport, an aviation
> museum, or - best - get them flying. It won't end the distraction (it
> could make it worse if I'm to be an example {8^), but at least there'll be
> that extra achievement too. And, with luck, motivation to study for [at
> least] the PPL.
>
> Seriously, I do wonder which is more time consuming: wishing I was flying
> knowing that I can and do, or wishing that I was flying not knowing how to
> get involved. The latter certainly seems more emotionally draining (not to
> mention: just plain sad).
>
> Get the kids flying, and see what that does to their memory and study
> habits.
>
> - Andrew

There IS such a program -- Wright Flight -- for middle schoolers, that
serves as a mentoring program, with an aviation theme:
http://WrightFlight.org/

Chris Schmelzer
November 7th 05, 04:11 AM
In article om>,
wrote:

> New research shows that airplane noise can impair reading and memory
> abilities of young students.
>
> A team of researchers from Mexico, Bosnia, Latvia and the Ivory Coast
> studied 50 children (ages 9-10 years old) who attended James Graham
> Elementary in Newark, California. The researchers found that as
> airplane noise around a school increased, students' reading
> comprehension scores decreased. Airplane noise was also related to
> lower scores on a memory recognition test. There was no relationship
> between road (cars, trucks, motorcycles) traffic noise and reading or
> memory test scores and the data were not related to the socioeconomic
> status of students.
>
> These results suggest that airplane noise may affect the ability of
> children to learn in school. The scientists believe that airplane noise
> may distract students from their schoolwork and lead to problems with
> reading and memory. For example, children might tune out unwanted noise
> such as that from an airplane, but in doing so, they will also pay less
> attention to their teacher. Planes flying over a school may also
> disrupt a teacher's ability to communicate with students.
>
> Effective ways to fight airplane noise are needed. An obvious solution
> would be to shut down the Palo Alto Airport.

HAHAHAHAAHAH....

Notice there is no work actually CITED to document their concerns...
Just random rantings...

Funny funny funny..

Vote for best troll of the week..

--