PDA

View Full Version : Sport Pilot flying to Canada

Frank
November 13th 05, 10:13 PM
Does anyone know if a private pilot flying under the sport pilot rules (no
medical), flying an experimental plane meeting the LSA rules can fly to and
within Canada?

Frank

Ron Wanttaja
November 13th 05, 10:42 PM
On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 15:13:31 -0700, "Frank" > wrote:

> Does anyone know if a private pilot flying under the sport pilot rules (no
> medical), flying an experimental plane meeting the LSA rules can fly to and
> within Canada?

The simple answer: No
----------------------------
§61.315 What are the privileges and limits of my sport pilot certificate?

[Snip]

(c) You may not act as pilot in command of a light-sport aircraft:
[....]
(8) Outside the United States, unless you have prior authorization
from the country in which you seek to operate. Your sport
pilot certificate carries the limit "Holder does not meet ICAO
requirements."
----------------------------

(http://makeashorterlink.com/?I2922572C)

Canada could institute some sort of policy to allow US Sport Pilots to fly into
the country, but I haven't heard anything about it.

Ron Wanttaja

OtisWinslow
November 15th 05, 05:07 PM
A private pilot flying with no medical doesn't have a SP certificate. He has
a PP certificate. Someone trained through SP would have a SP certificate.

"Ron Wanttaja" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 15:13:31 -0700, "Frank" > wrote:
>
>> Does anyone know if a private pilot flying under the sport pilot rules
>> (no
>> medical), flying an experimental plane meeting the LSA rules can fly to
>> and
>> within Canada?
>
> The simple answer: No
> ----------------------------
> §61.315 What are the privileges and limits of my sport pilot certificate?
>
> [Snip]
>
> (c) You may not act as pilot in command of a light-sport aircraft:
> [....]
> (8) Outside the United States, unless you have prior authorization
> from the country in which you seek to operate. Your sport
> pilot certificate carries the limit "Holder does not meet ICAO
> requirements."
> ----------------------------
>
> (http://makeashorterlink.com/?I2922572C)
>
> Canada could institute some sort of policy to allow US Sport Pilots to fly
> into
> the country, but I haven't heard anything about it.
>
> Ron Wanttaja

Gig 601XL Builder
November 15th 05, 05:36 PM
While this is true the "Holder does not meet ICAO requirements" statement
would still be the case of a PP operating under the LSP rules without a
medical.

"OtisWinslow" > wrote in message
>A private pilot flying with no medical doesn't have a SP certificate. He
>has
> a PP certificate. Someone trained through SP would have a SP certificate.
>

> "Ron Wanttaja" > wrote in message
>> On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 15:13:31 -0700, "Frank" > wrote:
>>
>>> Does anyone know if a private pilot flying under the sport pilot rules
>>> (no
>>> medical), flying an experimental plane meeting the LSA rules can fly to
>>> and
>>> within Canada?
>>
>> The simple answer: No
>> ----------------------------
>> §61.315 What are the privileges and limits of my sport pilot
>> certificate?
>>
>> [Snip]
>>
>> (c) You may not act as pilot in command of a light-sport aircraft:
>> [....]
>> (8) Outside the United States, unless you have prior authorization
>> from the country in which you seek to operate. Your sport
>> pilot certificate carries the limit "Holder does not meet ICAO
>> requirements."
>> ----------------------------
>>
>> (http://makeashorterlink.com/?I2922572C)
>>
>> Canada could institute some sort of policy to allow US Sport Pilots to
>> fly into
>> the country, but I haven't heard anything about it.
>>
>> Ron Wanttaja

Ron Wanttaja
November 16th 05, 02:19 AM
On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 17:07:50 GMT, "OtisWinslow" > wrote:

> "Ron Wanttaja" > wrote in message
> > On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 15:13:31 -0700, "Frank" > wrote:
> >
> >> Does anyone know if a private pilot flying under the sport pilot rules (no
> >> medical), flying an experimental plane meeting the LSA rules can fly to
> >> and within Canada?
> >
> > The simple answer: No
> > §61.315 What are the privileges and limits of my sport pilot certificate?
>
> A private pilot flying with no medical doesn't have a SP certificate. He has
> a PP certificate. Someone trained through SP would have a SP certificate.

FAR 61.303 says that if you do not have a medical but hold at least a
Recreational Pilot license, you must comply with the limitations in
61.315...which includes the ban on flying outside the US.

Ron Wanttaja

Google